Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 08:23 AM   #3586
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post

I wouldn't live anywhere else. Well okay, I saw it was -20C this morning in Bassett. Have no idea what that makes it in Nebraska degrees. Probably need your insulated Carhart overalls this morning. When it comes to living in the Sandhills of Nebraska, either you like it or you don't.

I love it.

Your ADV pal,
Nebraska John
*-4F, John (32-(1.8x20)=-4)
Old 01-31-2014, 08:05 PM   #3587
fasttortoise
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Thanks John

Hola Juanito,

I don't have too much to add which hasn't already been said but but I'll add my voice to the chorus that is telling you to keep going. I've been following your report in real time since well before your summer break and I'm loving every minute. I check in multiple times per day.

I live in Denver Colorado and needless to say you have a warm bed here any time.

Thanks for bringing me along for the ride!

Tyler

fasttortoise screwed with this post 01-31-2014 at 08:16 PM
Old 02-01-2014, 05:31 PM   #3588
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasttortoise View Post
Hola Juanito,

I don't have too much to add which hasn't already been said but but I'll add my voice to the chorus that is telling you to keep going. I've been following your report in real time since well before your summer break and I'm loving every minute. I check in multiple times per day.

I live in Denver Colorado and needless to say you have a warm bed here any time.

Thanks for bringing me along for the ride!

Tyler
Hi Tyler,

It's my pleasure. Been out riding yesterday and today all over the place. More pictures and stories to follow as slow wifi allows.

Saludos,
Tio Juan
Old 02-02-2014, 06:34 AM   #3589
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Headed south along the coast of Ecuador a couple days ago looking for good weather. It was gray and drizzly:

Tried to head down minor backroads along the beach and kept running into dead end overlooks:

and gates:

headed down through the port city of Manta with ships out at sea:

Stopped for lunch. This gal from Colombia has been living in Manta for 10 years and boy can she cook. Really nice family:

Kept riding down backroads. These kids all wanted to sign my gas tank. I couldn’t say no. In cases like this where cops or strangers want to sign my tank, I have them do it where my knees rub. That way my knees erase the white space and clear it for the next batch. I bought them all little helado treats. I think they cost 10/$1.00.

Out in the middle of nowhere I stopped for a soda and met Levi from South Dakota and his lovely wife and adopted son. Levi grew up near Gregory which is only a stones throw from where I live. Heck, my grandmother and great aunt got married in Gregory. He is a Seventh Day Adventist who came down here on a mission 10 years ago and never left.

Never did find clear skies. Stopped in Salango but it was too touristy. Found the Montañita surf camp mentioned in Hektoglider’s ride report, which seemed nice, but they were full and didn’t offer tent camping. Hmmmmm. It got dark and I finally ended up pulling into an abandoned palapa on the beach and sleeping next to the bike:

My hacienda for the night. It was about midnight by the time I pulled in and I just lay down next to the bike and the next thing I knew it was first light:

Got up early yesterday with the fishermen and headed south to Guayaquil looking for some sunshine. The weather got nice out in the banana plantations. It’s kind of a swampy area with miles and miles of rice paddies as well. I was pounding down this exceptionally rough road out in the middle of nowhere when I heard a rattle. Turned out to be my exhaust shield. Stopped to tighten it down. Not far later my front brake caliper fell off and was dangling against the spokes. Hmmmmm. Can’t say I’ve ever had that happen before. The mounting bolts had backed out. Wow! That’s a first. The bottom bolt was still in the caliper but the top bolt was missing. So I tied the dangling caliper to the fork with some dental floss I had handy and retraced my path. Alas, the potholes were all full of water and the top bolt could have been anywhere.

So I backtracked to the last pueblo slowly and asked the mechanico if he had anything to fix my problema con mi mordassa (caliper problem). No, but there was a guy 10 kilometers away who maybe could. Still no go at the second place, he suggested El Gato Longcin Motos 30 kilometers back when you hit the paved road. So I limped to the pavement and slowly made my way to The Cat. And sure enough he had the caliper off and the bracket mounted solidly to the caliper in no time. Bolted it back up and I was good to go. Total cost 5 dollars.

I was thinking of heading over to Cuenca but the skies looked mean to the east, so I headed south until sunset. Pulled into Naranjal and am currently staying at a fairly nice place with secure parking, A/C, cable, internet and pretty clean called the Hotel Palmitas for 14.00.

You meet some pretty friendly folks out in the sticks in Ecuador:

Woke up at 6 this morning and it is raining. I think I’ll stay another day and do some laundry and check all the bolts on the bike.

Saludos,
Juan Ecuador

JDowns screwed with this post 02-02-2014 at 06:48 AM
Old 02-02-2014, 07:04 AM   #3590
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,811
Great pics man! Sure glad to have this RR to read during this long cold northern winter. Always puts a smile on my face when I see that I get to read the update over a cup of coffee...keep it up!
Old 02-02-2014, 07:24 AM   #3591
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 4,679
Another RR said rain will be on-going. Hope it is not so.

Really enjoy the people pics you snap Juanito. It proves that folks respond to treatment and you represent very well Sir.

I remember North of The Gap when the guys loading the Sherpa onto that small boat recognized the locals' signatures on the tank.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:48 AM   #3592
adventurebound9517
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
So John
You have stooped reporting your daily cost, will you continue this practice for us wanna be's? Since your not camping as much it would be good to see how your costs have changed,

Phillip
Old 02-02-2014, 08:05 AM   #3593
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventurebound9517 View Post
So John
You have stooped reporting your daily cost, will you continue this practice for us wanna be's? Since your not camping as much it would be good to see how your costs have changed,

Phillip
Hi Phillip,

I was reporting my financials last year in more detail. In Ecuador on a small bike you can ride all day for under 5 bucks in gas. Last night was 14 for lodging the night before was free crashing at the beach. Meals are 2-3 dollars for breakfast lunch and dinner if you eat in the roadside stalls. I usually eat twice a day. Breakfast and dinner. Fill in with sodas, fruit and snacks at the tiendas along the road. Plus you have incidental expenses like 5 bucks to bolt your damn front calliper back on, that sort of thing. Probably 30 bucks a day. Less if you're just hanging out at the beach. A thousand to fifteen hundred a month should cover you for basic traveling expenses depending on how much you spend on incidentals, tires, bike repairs that sort of thing.

Saludos,
Tio Juan
Old 02-02-2014, 08:13 AM   #3594
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPete View Post
Another RR said rain will be on-going. Hope it is not so.

Really enjoy the people pics you snap Juanito. It proves that folks respond to treatment and you represent very well Sir.

I remember North of The Gap when the guys loading the Sherpa onto that small boat recognized the locals' signatures on the tank.
Hi OldPete,

It's rainy season in the Andes right now. Bolivia and Peru are getting soaked. I may just jet down through the Peruvian desert and hit Patagonia for a while until this area dries out. The weather is beautiful in Argentina and Chile right now. The killer roads in the northern Andes aren't going anywhere. They'll still be here later.

I'm not a real fan of riding in freezing fog and drizzle over high mountain passes imagining what the beautiful vistas would look like on a clear crisp day. I will continue to go where the weather is fine and the living is easy and report back so you'll know what to expect when you get down here in the future.

Saludos,
OldJuan
Old 02-02-2014, 12:26 PM   #3595
AdamFL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Jdowns

I just picked up a Sherpa to add to the stable. Sweet little bike. I also have an Airstream trailer and would like to head into Mexico and take rides on the Sherpa. Seems light to toss in truck and looks like a bulletproof easy keeper.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:35 PM   #3596
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamFL View Post
Jdowns

I just picked up a Sherpa to add to the stable. Sweet little bike. I also have an Airstream trailer and would like to head into Mexico and take rides on the Sherpa. Seems light to toss in truck and looks like a bulletproof easy keeper.
Hi Adam,

An Airstream and a Sherpa. Now that sounds like a fun combination to me. You're well on your way to a Sherpa hobo lifestyle. Better sell the house in Florida. You probably won't be going back. Just kidding.

Saludos,
Juan Corriente de Aire
Old 02-02-2014, 06:15 PM   #3597
AdamFL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Just rent here..need to find another for my wife. No kids, some cash and the aluminum house could make an interesting adventure..plus wife is a Spanish tutor..guess I get free lessons.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:00 PM   #3598
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,541
I wish I could still be in Ecuador now while you are there to be able to meet you. But if you're interested in staying a night with family in Guayaquil, let me know. Better make it a PM. It's not really as much of a "rainy season" in the sierra now as it is in the coastal area. If you head out to Salitre or Junquillal, you might get to see the flooded plains. We have a farm in the family out that way. You're welcome to stop in and visit nuestra gente there, too.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 02-03-2014, 04:31 AM   #3599
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Morning John. I've just got caught up and am extremely jealous as I sit here looking out at 5 inches of fresh snow. Come on spring!

John
Old 02-03-2014, 05:21 AM   #3600
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

I woke up in the middle of the night here in Naranjal Ecuador to pounding rain, flashes of lightning and roaring thunder. The lights aren’t working, it is totally dark, the air conditioning quit and the router is down. Which can only mean the power got taken out. Hmmmmm. I take this as a sign from the heavens that it’s time to saddle up and head south to sunnier climes.

I’ve made an executive decision to head to Chile. It’s only 2500 kilometers through the Peruvian desert .I’ll swing back up to the northern Andes when the weather is nicer.

Long ago I remember needing to get back to work by Monday and I was in southern Baja at a little oasis called San Ignacio on Saturday morning. It was the same distance to Oregon. Took 36 yours of almost non-stop riding. It might take a little longer on a Sherpa than a fast BMW.

The power just came back on so I’ll post this on my way out the door.

I would like my upbeat theme song for today to be "Singin' in the Rain" but alas, this is what is floating through my mind this morning:

[url][url]

JDowns screwed with this post 02-03-2014 at 05:27 AM
Closed Thread