Oddometer: 687
Go get'em John

Antioquia, tierra de mis amores
Some trail riding stories
Old 02-03-2014, 06:30 AM   #3602
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,528
I haven't been able to spend a rainy season there yet, but I hear the rain is mostly overnight. Regarding your precipitous departure, allow me to offer that whatever decisions you make, as to whether they are right or wrong, well, that depends on your outlook. I trust you won't doubt yourself, and that you'll be back...

At least head up through El Cajas on yer way out.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 02-03-2014, 12:46 PM   #3603
CourtRand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
I am on the coast of Ecuador - in Canoa - its been beautiful here - lots of clear skies and stars at night - its one of the best times to be on the coast of Ecuador, this time of year...

+593(0)98-176-2340 http://FreedomBikeRental.com
court@freedombikerental.com
Old 02-03-2014, 01:37 PM   #3604
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 684
'Doors' leads to too much introspection. Time to start listening to Tijuana Brass and Santana
and find some SUN.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:24 AM   #3605
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,652
Headed out this morning for the Peruvian border. Took a wrong turn somewhere and decided to take a shortcut to the main road. It was drizzling off and on this morning and the backroads were a tad muddy. Heading along the border, went through a military reserve. The guards said the road went through. And the guy herding his cattle a few clicks further on said to just head down a ways and take a left. He didn’t mention the river:

made it through and stopped to ask directions from Ricardo:

He pointed me to the Carretera Principal (main highway) which turned out to be a great road. The Sherpa needed a bath after that road:

Nothing but curves winding through the hills:

Heading up into the Andes and the clouds:

And I do mean clouds. It was foggy and raining. It doesn’t look too bad in this pic, but when a dog and then a cow appeared out of the fog standing in the middle of the road, it was time to slow down. The rain made it difficult to flip the foggy visor up. This went on forever.

Until the road dropped out of the clouds and down towards Peru off in the distance:

Easy border crossing at Macara. Stopped to get some Soles (Peruvian dinero) in the first big town in Peru and had a late lunch at 9 PM. Ordered a cola:

It tastes better than it looks.

Followed an overnight bus out of town and he was cookin’ down the Pan-Am. The first 100 miles in Peru had major road construction with random 10 mile sections that were grooved for repaving. Knobbies tend to skitter on grooved roads you will find.

Stopped for the night in Chiclayo. Thanks to Jackie and Valentino for listing the Emperador Hotel on their ride report. Got into town around midnight and had a cab driver lead me here. After unloading I had him take me to an all night Chinese restaurant. Pretty good fried rice.

The reason I’m heading south down the coast is that I look at the weather satellite:

While it is nice at the beach in Ecuador and Peru this week, the mountains are another story. But don’t worry, I’ll be back. Ecuador is a great country with plenty of fine riding. Lots of fun backroads and some of the best maintained highways in Latin America that I’ve seen so far. And from what I have seen from other ride reports, the Peruvian Andes are awesome. I just don’t like riding in the fog and rain.

More later….

JDowns screwed with this post 02-05-2014 at 06:07 AM
Old 02-04-2014, 03:42 AM   #3606
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 4,647
"and had a late lunch at 9:00 PM."

Looking forward to coastal/sunny pics.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:01 AM   #3607
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
It tastes better than it looks.
It does, doesn't it? I thought it tasted sort of like bubble gum, but still good. I often had this stuff in the afternoon along with a bag of popcorn sold by street vendors for 1 Nuevo Sol ($0.35). Good combo, in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
After unloading I had him take me to an all night Chinese restaurant. Pretty good fried rice.
Yummmm. chifa! I love the Peruvian/Chinese fusion food, really tasty stuff. Make sure you have Loma Saltado, the main dish of Peru. I had an an AMAZING vegan version of the stuff in Cuzco, my absolute favorite meal when I visited.

Really looking forward to seeing Peru from your perspective!
Old 02-04-2014, 07:26 AM   #3608
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
It does, doesn't it? I thought it tasted sort of like bubble gum, but still good. I often had this stuff in the afternoon along with a bag of popcorn sold by street vendors for 1 Nuevo Sol ($0.35). Good combo, in my opinion.

Yummmm. chifa! I love the Peruvian/Chinese fusion food, really tasty stuff. Make sure you have Loma Saltado, the main dish of Peru. I had an an AMAZING vegan version of the stuff in Cuzco, my absolute favorite meal when I visited.

Really looking forward to seeing Peru from your perspective!
Hi sandalscout,

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll be sure to try some Loma Saltado later today if I can find some. Pics to follow.

I'm heading out this morning north of Chimbote. Go see if I can find Cañon del Pato. It looks like a raw, beautiful, remote road.

Saludos,
Juan Pato
Old 02-04-2014, 07:29 AM   #3609
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,123
Sorry John, I think it's actually Lomo Saltado, my fault!
Old 02-04-2014, 07:52 AM   #3610
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
Sorry John, I think it's actually Lomo Saltado, my fault!
Thanks amigo. Wouldn't want to order a transvestite dish on my second day in Peru.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:15 PM   #3611
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 2,293
Tio Juanito! (FYI, someone with better Espanol then mine may be able to help, but I've been told that in some Spanish speaking countries "pato" has a similar meaning to "maricón", even though the literal translation is duck)

I just spent three days reading from the beginning. I didn't want to post something until I was caught up, but there were many, many amazing moments in your rides where I was very tempted to jump ahead! This is one of the most inspirational RR's I've ever read, if ever someone embodied the ethos "get out there and do it" it's you my man. I've got a DRZ400 sitting in the garage, just waiting for me to stop making excuses and get going.

If you're ever up in Tucson and need a place to sleep I've got a garage and a spare bedroom. And I'll treat you to some awesome Tamales from a great local place up here. I know it's not likely since your sister is in Phoenix, but the offer is on the table!

Salud!

Brian, soy un gringo loco también

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
Old 02-04-2014, 05:50 PM   #3612
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
Tio Juanito! (FYI, someone with better Espanol then mine may be able to help, but I've been told that in some Spanish speaking countries "pato" has a similar meaning to "maricón", even though the literal translation is duck)

I just spent three days reading from the beginning. I didn't want to post something until I was caught up, but there were many, many amazing moments in your rides where I was very tempted to jump ahead! This is one of the most inspirational RR's I've ever read, if ever someone embodied the ethos "get out there and do it" it's you my man. I've got a DRZ400 sitting in the garage, just waiting for me to stop making excuses and get going.

If you're ever up in Tucson and need a place to sleep I've got a garage and a spare bedroom. And I'll treat you to some awesome Tamales from a great local place up here. I know it's not likely since your sister is in Phoenix, but the offer is on the table!

Salud!

Brian, soy un gringo loco también
My man Brian,

I am definitely coming to Tuscon to visit when I get a chance. I was in Tuscon 2 winters ago for three months building a flagstone patio for my sister's good friends along with other stuff. Tuscon in the winter is a fine place to be.

And yes, I LOVE a good tamale. I'm missing good Mexican food. I had fish and rice soup for breakfast down here in Peru. It's just not the same. So glad you're enjoying the ride report amigo. Good to have you along for the ride.

Saludos,
Juan Tamale

JDowns screwed with this post 02-04-2014 at 05:55 PM
Old 02-04-2014, 07:59 PM   #3613
Salsa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
John

You have single handedly made Duolingo go big time.

There is a nice article in Forbes magazine Feb 10,2014 about it.

Don
Old 02-04-2014, 08:20 PM   #3614
agentsteel53
some guy

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsa View Post
John

You have single handedly made Duolingo go big time.

There is a nice article in Forbes magazine Feb 10,2014 about it.

Don
heh. I saw it on Slate and connected it to John's thread.

my honeymoon is gonna be a 4x4ing trip down to Cabo San Lucas from San Diego (I get the dirt roads; she gets the sunny beaches - I'm hoping the secret to a happy marriage is compromise like that!) and therefore my fiancee and I are learning Spanish right now using Duolingo.

I hope it blows up in popularity!
Old 02-04-2014, 08:36 PM   #3615
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentsteel53 View Post
heh. I saw it on Slate and connected it to John's thread.

my honeymoon is gonna be a 4x4ing trip down to Cabo San Lucas from San Diego (I get the dirt roads; she gets the sunny beaches - I'm hoping the secret to a happy marriage is compromise like that!) and therefore my fiancee and I are learning Spanish right now using Duolingo.

I hope it blows up in popularity!
Hey agent steel53,

That, my friend sounds like a ton of fun. Baja with a 4x4. Yeah, baby. That's what I'm talkin'about. Fun in the sun. Happy smiling fiancé and a truck stuck up to the axles in sand with the tide coming in. That's amoré.

Duolingo won an apple IOS app award. And the web version is really helpful. It certainly improved my Spanish conversation ability. Glad it has been of use to others as well.
Closed Thread