Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2014, 01:20 PM   #3631
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,637
The geology in Cañon del Pato is raw and exposed as you ride up the way. From giant conglomerate piles:

twisted layers heading all directions:

Not sure who built these abandoned adobe buildings but they look fairly ancient:

Stopped in for lunch and met the lovely Luz and her younger sister Jessica:

They wanted to know all about my travels. It turns out that they were my guardian angels, since when I opened my top box to check my GPS, somehow my manila folder with my title,registration and import papers fell on the ground. I rode off none the wiser. But they gave them to their Aunt Maria and she called ahead to all the tiendas up the valley to make sure the Gringo came back for them. Whew!

But I’m getting ahead of myself….
Old 02-07-2014, 01:52 PM   #3632
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

As you travel up Cañon del Pato the canyon walls start closing in:

and the tunnels and one lane bridges start:

According to the picture on the wall at the restaurant this used to be a rail line with steam locomotives plying this route:

After pounding up the washboard for 40 or 50 miles I stopped at a tienda with this happy crew of Peruviana gals and learned that I had dropped my bike papers back at Marias place:

Sheesh! I checked my topbox and sure enough the papers weren’t there. This would have been a major bummer. So I lit out down the washboard and got to see Cañon del Pato both ways. No pics of the return trip as I was on a mission. Sure enough after 40 or 50 miles of pounding the poor sherpa I got to Maria’s place. Here is my patron saint:

I didn’t really feel like riding the canyon a third time. I was feeling like this campesino looked:

So I headed back to the beach where I am hanging out again. The Sherpa could use an oil change, new rear brake pads, and some tires. So I think I’ll chill down here and spiff up the bike before heading out again.

Saludos,
Tio Juan
Old 02-07-2014, 04:18 PM   #3633
SavannahCapt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
As a recovering geologist, I appreciate your inclusion of the rock formations.. Great story about your guardian angels. I'm thinking I like Peru.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:01 PM   #3634
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
John, your "other worldly" pic looks like US 93 headed south toward Wikenburg, AZ. Lots of Sujaros.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:02 PM   #3635
DustDog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Cry Keep riding Juanitoooooo!!!!!!

Cañon del Pato was one of the highlight of my trip in Peru. It was nice to see your pictures.......good memories. I miss my Camel.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:16 AM   #3636
adventurebound9517
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Really great photo's John.
Phillip
adventurebound9517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:18 PM   #3637
KLRmonkey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Laugh

Thanks John for continuing to share the journey with all of us!
The Cañon del Pato pics are amazing, keep 'em coming.

Sent a tank of gas your way - add me if you have any room.
And most of all stay safe and enjoy your trip. Many of us are
still living the adventure through you (for now but not forever!)

Peace,
Larry
KLRmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:02 PM   #3638
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRmonkey View Post
Thanks John for continuing to share the journey with all of us!
The Cañon del Pato pics are amazing, keep 'em coming.

Sent a tank of gas your way - add me if you have any room.
And most of all stay safe and enjoy your trip. Many of us are
still living the adventure through you (for now but not forever!)

Peace,
Larry
Hi Larry,

Thanks so much amigo. Glad you are still following along. KLRmonkey is on the side of the Sherpa tank. Along with Schizzman you are this weeks Sherpa tire retread sponsors.

Muchas gracias amigo,
Juan Llantas
Old 02-08-2014, 11:08 PM   #3639
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,819

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:54 PM   #3640
Animal Instinct
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Slow and steady wins the race.

Finally caught up, which frees me to join you on your earlier trip to the dentist in Panama. Just amazing, man!

Thanks for checking in on me, it meant a lot.
Animal Instinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:53 AM   #3641
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal Instinct View Post
Finally caught up, which frees me to join you on your earlier trip to the dentist in Panama. Just amazing, man!

Thanks for checking in on me, it meant a lot.
Hey Animal Instinct,

That is a great ride report you got going there. I gave it 5 stars. And then I saw some dickhead gave it one star and brought you down. That happened to me early in this ride report. Not that these things matter. But when you're taking the time and posting the pics it is a little demoralising.

So anyone reading this please go over to Amimal Instinct's ride report:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=950811

and give it five stars like it deserves. It's simple. Just click on the rating***** up in the top bar and give him a Metal Jockey. Thanks amigos. It means a lot to these up and coming ride reporters.

First the Rockies, then Mexico, Central America. It's a slippery slope my friend. You'll be down in South America in a few years. Mark my words.

Saludos
Don Juan Quixote

JDowns screwed with this post 02-10-2014 at 01:06 AM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:13 AM   #3642
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Here’s a tip I learned courtesy of AndrewUK back in Colombia. When draining oil in a hotel parking lot, just cut a hole in an empty 2 liter pop bottle to drain your oil into:

Once you fill the bike with fresh oil, unscrew the cap on the pop bottle and pour your used oil back into your empty oil bottles. No mess. Pretty slick idea for roadside oil changes.

I’m back on the road heading south somewhere on the coast of Peru. Pulled into a nice place last night but I’m not sure where it is since my batteries need recharging on the GPS.

more later…..
Old 02-10-2014, 05:14 PM   #3643
woc4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Here’s a tip I learned courtesy of AndrewUK back in Colombia. When draining oil in a hotel parking lot, just cut a hole in an empty 2 liter pop bottle to drain your oil into:

Once you fill the bike with fresh oil, unscrew the cap on the pop bottle and pour your used oil back into your empty oil bottles. No mess. Pretty slick idea for roadside oil changes.

I’m back on the road heading south somewhere on the coast of Peru. Pulled into a nice place last night but I’m not sure where it is since my batteries need recharging on the GPS.

more later…..
thanks for the pictures it remind me of my pass through all those places in dec 2013. I get tired of waiting in Medellin at the shamrock and my tivp was due 04 nov 2013 so I decided not to wait for you and enjoy the pleasure of your company going south actually I am staying at my sister house in Buenos Aires. Do not miss Calama and San Pedro de Atacama, the border crossing at Paso de Jama (4870 mts ask) is amazing and the border crossing is so easy 30 / 40 minutes at the most no insurance requests just the normal paperwork no photocopies, just show the originals and thats it, after that all the way to San Salvador de Jujuy via the Quebrada de Humauaca, with the most amazing views with very good roads and little traffic. Keep going south through Salta and get on the wine road till Mendoza, over there return to Chile and ride the south until Futaleufu, you'll see the best of both countries. Around march i"ll be riding Uruguay hope to see or hear from you there. I remember that every one told me I was crazy because I was going to make the trip from Birmingham (Alabama) to the south riding my Honda Silverwing Scooter (600 cc) and that it could not be done. Well it was done and the only thing I miss was Andrea from the Shamrock and the warm people from Medellin. Cheers up. Sparky (71 years old and counting)
woc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:58 PM   #3644
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Got new shoes for the Sherpa on Sunday courtesy of Schizzman and KLRmonkey:

I normally change my own tires, but this time went down the street and let these two guys do the dirty work:

The owner’s bike was a smokin’ NSR 250 race bike. Freddy Spencer won the 250 world championship on a bike like this nearly 30 years ago. Still a hot little number. I would be in Ushuaia by next week on this bike. 250 two stroke V-twin. 45 HP. Top speed over 110MPH:

While they put the new tires on, these nice folks invited me to sit in the shade. In fact Mario’s wife was upstairs cooking up lunch and they sent a plate down for me as well. Really nice family:

The electricity was out all day, so I decided to head down the coast in the afternoon. These guys were out for a Sunday ride and stopped to say hi:

Stopped for the night on the coast in the evening.

more later…..
Old 02-10-2014, 11:12 PM   #3645
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Ended up watching the Winter Olympic coverage all morning. I like me some Curling and Luge. Finally took off early afternoon. After 5 hours of laying on the tank through fierce crosswinds getting blown this way and that, I was a whipped puppy. Really surrealistic landscapes:

through lush river valleys followed by endless desert:

with the occasional ancient mud brick fortress:

I didn’t stop to take many photos. Stopped at the beach just north of Lima and went out to get some dinner. Tried Lomo Soltado which was previously recommended by sandal scout:

I forgot to take my camera to the restaurant so had to grab this pic off the internet, but it looked exactly like this picture. Stir fried strips of beef and vegetables cooked in a wok and served on a bed of rice. Really yummy.

Hope to get south of Lima mañana.

Saludos,
Tio Juanito
http://johnthomasdowns.blogspot.com

JDowns screwed with this post 02-11-2014 at 12:00 AM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote