Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 07:58 AM   #3646
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by woc4 View Post
thanks for the pictures it remind me of my pass through all those places in dec 2013. I get tired of waiting in Medellin at the shamrock and my tivp was due 04 nov 2013 so I decided not to wait for you and enjoy the pleasure of your company going south actually I am staying at my sister house in Buenos Aires. Do not miss Calama and San Pedro de Atacama, the border crossing at Paso de Jama (4870 mts ask) is amazing and the border crossing is so easy 30 / 40 minutes at the most no insurance requests just the normal paperwork no photocopies, just show the originals and thats it, after that all the way to San Salvador de Jujuy via the Quebrada de Humauaca, with the most amazing views with very good roads and little traffic. Keep going south through Salta and get on the wine road till Mendoza, over there return to Chile and ride the south until Futaleufu, you'll see the best of both countries. Around march i"ll be riding Uruguay hope to see or hear from you there. I remember that every one told me I was crazy because I was going to make the trip from Birmingham (Alabama) to the south riding my Honda Silverwing Scooter (600 cc) and that it could not be done. Well it was done and the only thing I miss was Andrea from the Shamrock and the warm people from Medellin. Cheers up. Sparky (71 years old and counting)
Sparky!

So good to hear from you. It sounds like I just missed you in Colombia.

I like your route idea. Calama, San P de Atacama, Paso de Jama, Jujuy, Salto, Mendoza and back to Chile. Checking the internet, I see it is raining in Cusco this morning so I think I'll stick to the coast in Peru and come back up this way later. You can't see it all in one go.

Saludos,
Juan Desierto
Old 02-11-2014, 10:20 AM   #3647
Animal Instinct
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
The US Curling Squads

aren't faring so well.

Comeback time!
Old 02-11-2014, 10:35 AM   #3648
Chief Ten Bears
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal Instinct View Post
aren't faring so well.

Comeback time!

Leave the curling to the professionals, us Canadians...
Old 02-11-2014, 11:16 AM   #3649
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Ended up watching the Winter Olympic coverage all morning. I like me some Curling and Luge. Finally took off early afternoon. After 5 hours of laying on the tank through fierce crosswinds getting blown this way and that, I was a whipped puppy. Really surrealistic landscapes:

through lush river valleys followed by endless desert:

with the occasional ancient mud brick fortress:

I didn’t stop to take many photos. Stopped at the beach just north of Lima and went out to get some dinner. Tried Lomo Soltado which was previously recommended by sandal scout:

I forgot to take my camera to the restaurant so had to grab this pic off the internet, but it looked exactly like this picture. Stir fried strips of beef and vegetables cooked in a wok and served on a bed of rice. Really yummy.

Hope to get south of Lima mańana.

Saludos,
Tio Juanito
http://johnthomasdowns.blogspot.com
Funny you are around Lima ,I saw a entry on our local vhf echolink ham radio repeater from a node in Lima Peru this morning . Im still enjoying following along.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:20 AM   #3650
CBRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Juanito, informe paseo fabuloso!

Juanito!

Thanks for taking me along through your writing and photos. It must be lots of trouble to find Wi-Fi and keep us up to date on your travels, but it is much appreciated.

I sent you a little gas money through PayPal.

Keep going!

Tú amigo,
CBRider

CBRider screwed with this post 02-11-2014 at 11:46 AM
Old 02-11-2014, 04:24 PM   #3651
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRider View Post
Juanito!

Thanks for taking me along through your writing and photos. It must be lots of trouble to find Wi-Fi and keep us up to date on your travels, but it is much appreciated.

I sent you a little gas money through PayPal.

Keep going!

Tú amigo,
CBRider
Hi CBRider,

Thanks so much amigo. It is my pleasure to update this ride report on a regular basis. I am like you and read lots of ride reports. Jackie and Valentino have been gracious enough to post the places they found along the Peruvian coast in their travels on their excellent ride report. So tonight it was simply a matter of cruising into Pisco, Peru and paying a tuk-tuk driver a buck to lead me to the Hostal Villa Manuelita. Secure parking and fast internet. Couldn't ask for anything more. It costs more than camping on the beach, but you guys need your ADV fix in the dead of winter. And I am here to supply you with your ADV drugs. Well not really drugs, just adrenalin, pics, good food and the roads less traveled. You'll be down here before you know it.

Saludos,
Juan Pisco
Old 02-11-2014, 04:33 PM   #3652
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Ten Bears View Post
Leave the curling to the professionals, us Canadians...
Hey Chief Ten Bears,

You Canadians are kicking butt in curling. But hey, curling is a game of attrition. Those Minnesotans still might make a comeback.

Was watching the Canadian gal snowboarders and freestyle skiers as well. Very impressive.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:30 PM   #3653
ChicoProf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Awesome report

John,
I'm a fellow Sherpa rider, and stumbled on this report a few weeks ago, and have been savoring the report through today - finally caught up with you. Really impressed with your writing skill; this reads like a great book... and with lots of pictures to back it up. You are telling a rich story.

Question: What is the make of that top box? I've read and seen pictured some of what you've done to it, and it seems bullet proof. I want one for my Sherpa!

Sent you a tank or two via PayPal; keep on keeping on!

Brian (ChicoProf)
Old 02-11-2014, 06:11 PM   #3654
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicoProf View Post
John,
I'm a fellow Sherpa rider, and stumbled on this report a few weeks ago, and have been savoring the report through today - finally caught up with you. Really impressed with your writing skill; this reads like a great book... and with lots of pictures to back it up. You are telling a rich story.

Question: What is the make of that top box? I've read and seen pictured some of what you've done to it, and it seems bullet proof. I want one for my Sherpa!

Sent you a tank or two via PayPal; keep on keeping on!

Brian (ChicoProf)
Hi Brian,

I have a cheap top box that has been through the war and come out shining. It has STLUN engraved on the top. I bought it at Discount Motorcycle Parts in Eugene Oregon years ago but did a quick google search and came up with this:

https://www.google.com.pe/search?q=s...ml%3B800%3B726

I think it cost 70 bucks maybe. Came with a mounting plate that I attached to the stock Sherpa rear rack and the top box clicks on and locks. It is totally waterproof and has had my laptop, gps, oil filters, sleeping bag and pad in it for the last 40,000 miles no probs. Plus it's not too big for the little Sherpa. You can fit a helmet in it when not traveling.

Anyway, glad to have you along amigo, and thanks for the gas bux. I really appreciate it.

Your ADVpal,
Juan Topbox
Old 02-11-2014, 06:42 PM   #3655
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
John, I got a refund from PayPal on my contribution. Did I mistype the addy:
johnthomasdowns @ blogspot.com

From the PayPal message: johnthomasdowns @ blogspot.com did not sign up for a PayPal account or did not complete the registration process.

(I added the spaces.)

Write back,

George
Old 02-12-2014, 09:50 AM   #3656
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
Love the $40 tires sold in every small town. Batteries are the same as the locals bikes too, $40 or so.
I'll keep in touch JD. Hope you can use the prime campsites I sent you info about, & glad the Ecuador RR was of help to you.
SA Sherpa Rally Mid March. Location TBD later......!?!?
Old 02-12-2014, 04:04 PM   #3657
Fordfixer
Semi Old Fart

Oddometer: 34
Olympics

The women's hockey (USA/Canada) today was a real hard played game. The Canada/Great Britain ladies curling was another nail bitter. The gents/ladies doing the fancy skiing/snowboarding are truly impressive as well as being slightly nuts!!!Thanks for giving this ice bound old fart something to look forward to.

Eric/Fordfixer

Old 02-12-2014, 05:33 PM   #3658
KLRmonkey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
What happened to the Sherpa fairing and headlight?
I must have missed a post - was this when you hurt the shoulder?

Glad you healed up fine. I'll bet the sight of all the women has helped.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:51 PM   #3659
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRmonkey View Post
What happened to the Sherpa fairing and headlight?
I must have missed a post - was this when you hurt the shoulder?

Glad you healed up fine. I'll bet the sight of all the women has helped.
Hey KLRmonkey,

You observant dog you. Well, I got run off the road into the ditch a few days ago. Believe me, in Peru, you get run off the road on a regular basis. Anyway, I hit the ditch as usual which usually means riding it out. But this time I bit it. Took out the right mirror, headlight lens and part of the fairing. It goes to show, that I don't even think of reporting this minor biff. Anyway, no harm, no foul. But I was riding down the road today and thinking about writing Battle Scar Gallactica on the side of the Sherpa tank.

Saludos,
Juan Gallactica
Old 02-12-2014, 05:57 PM   #3660
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk62cj5 View Post
Funny you are around Lima ,I saw a entry on our local vhf echolink ham radio repeater from a node in Lima Peru this morning . Im still enjoying following along.
QRZ! Nearby here is KE4CKJ. You gonna come out here to the mountains and ride with me this spring? I'm pretty sure John would condone it.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Closed Thread