Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 12:19 AM   #3676
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguaraz View Post
John- I have quietly been following you since shortly after you began last year. I've cheered your adventures and worried about your misadventures. I know it is incredibly hard to keep a ride report going so feel it is a gift to all of us who are not quite ready to follow. I admire your outlook on life and your "seize the day" actions. Each time I look in the classifieds at the best BMW GSA or top riding gear, I think of you (and the song- "If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with) and just get on my trusty old KLR for another mini-adventure of my own. Thanks for your philosophy, your attitude, and your willingness to let us in. Ride safe and stay cool!
Hi Jaguaraz,

Thanks for the kind words. Nice to have you along for the ride.

I am reminded this Valentines Day that although expensive high maintenance hot women and motorcycles can be fun for a while, when the chips are down and the going gets tough there is something to be said for solid, hard working and reliable.

Saludos,
Tio Juanito

JDowns screwed with this post 02-14-2014 at 12:35 AM
Old 02-14-2014, 03:44 AM   #3677
dragonseeker
dragonseeker

Oddometer: 14
Don't miss in Arequipa

Hi John, Have been following quietly for quite a while with much enjoyment. Many thanks for your efforts and persistence in compiling this report.
Spent a few days in Arequipa 2 years ago and enjoyed the museum with Juanita the ice princess and also the very picturesque monastery. A good spot to stop and acclimatise for the higher altitudes to come.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:02 AM   #3678
KLRmonkey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Talk about lonesome highways. You know you’re out there when you can park your bike in the middle of the road and stand back for a casual pic:
Reminds one of the Mad Max movie - the first one I think. Great stuff.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:05 AM   #3679
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonseeker View Post
Hi John, Have been following quietly for quite a while with much enjoyment. Many thanks for your efforts and persistence in compiling this report.
Spent a few days in Arequipa 2 years ago and enjoyed the museum with Juanita the ice princess and also the very picturesque monastery. A good spot to stop and acclimatise for the higher altitudes to come.
Hi dragonseeker,

I will be swinging back north to hit the Andes in Peru and Ecuador. Thanks for the suggestion. It was a beautiful area up in the mountains near Arequipa.

But right now I am in Chile heading south towards Paso de Jama and the Argentine pampas. Would like to see the Careterra Austral before it gets too cold down south.

Saludos,
Juan de Pampas Ass
Old 02-14-2014, 07:07 AM   #3680
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,826
Holy Fantastic Photos Batman!

Seriously John those photos are awesome, I really like those you took of the brown mountains, blue sky and serious green in the valleys! Super contrast here on the screen...I can only imagine what it looks like in person
Old 02-14-2014, 08:22 AM   #3681
beerguy
adrenaline junky

Oddometer: 30
The contrast between the desert mountains and the green valleys is striking:

this picture alone is worth the price of admission. oh, you mean it's free.
great pictures, John. thanks
Old 02-14-2014, 08:51 AM   #3682
agentsteel53
some guy

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Would like to see the Careterra Austral before it gets too cold down south.
if you are looking to go further south, I have some Patagonia recommendations for interesting routes (as well as some notes on routes I found fairly boring!)

my travels took me only to the swath between Lago General Carrera and Ushuaia.

I'll share when you get closer to that part of the world, unless for some reason you've decided to think way ahead (doesn't seem like you!) in which case I can share now.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:49 AM   #3683
O'B
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hi Jaguaraz,

Thanks for the kind words. Nice to have you along for the ride.

I am reminded this Valentines Day that although expensive high maintenance hot women and motorcycles can be fun for a while, when the chips are down and the going gets tough there is something to be said for solid, hard working and reliable.

Saludos,
Tio Juanito
Never truer words spoken!
Old 02-14-2014, 01:35 PM   #3684
RRey
Waiting for Spring

Oddometer: 1
Tio Jaun,

Great ride report. I've been lurking for a while now enjoying your adventures while I freeze up here in Canada. Just sent you a tank of gas via paypal. Hopefully it gets you a few more miles and posts. The mining engineer in me is liking the geology pics as well but if you ever get a chance to do some fishing down there I'd love to hear about that.

Safe travels,
RRey
Old 02-14-2014, 01:55 PM   #3685
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRey View Post
Tio Jaun,

Great ride report. I've been lurking for a while now enjoying your adventures while I freeze up here in Canada. Just sent you a tank of gas via paypal. Hopefully it gets you a few more miles and posts. The mining engineer in me is liking the geology pics as well but if you ever get a chance to do some fishing down there I'd love to hear about that.

Safe travels,
RRey
Hi RRey,

Thanks so much amigo. Glad to have you along for the ride. More pics of sunny beaches coming up to keep your mind off the winter weather up north. I can see you down here surf casting. It's only a matter of time.

I see this is your first post, so let me be the first to welcome you to ADVrider. RRey is going on the side of the Sherpa tank.

Your ADVpal,
Tio Juan
Old 02-14-2014, 02:01 PM   #3686
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentsteel53 View Post
if you are looking to go further south, I have some Patagonia recommendations for interesting routes (as well as some notes on routes I found fairly boring!)

my travels took me only to the swath between Lago General Carrera and Ushuaia.

I'll share when you get closer to that part of the world, unless for some reason you've decided to think way ahead (doesn't seem like you!) in which case I can share now.
Hi agentsteel53,

Please post away with ride ideas for further south. There are riders down there right now who read this. This ride report is for all the riders not just me. People need to know the good routes and bad.

Muchas gracias,
Juan de las Buenas Rutas
Old 02-14-2014, 02:43 PM   #3687
BarkBuster79
n00b

Oddometer: 3
good afternoon JD from snowy B.C. Canada! I have quietly been following your ride report for many months now (since the beginning) along with other great reports on ADV in preparation for my turn to ride south leaving October 2014. I wanted to say today a huge THANK YOU! for all the great advice and information that I have gathered from your report and more importantly from your outlook and attitude on life. I hope to adopt your easy going attitude and travel mojo so I can enjoy my moto experience as much as you have. I will surely call on you and your knowledge of C.A & S.A during latter parts of 2014 and 2015 but for now I will continue to follow along your RR daily. Thanks for the motivation JD, because of you and others I now have the ball rolling soon to be wheels rolling in your direction. Again thanks for Keeping up such a great ride report!!

John
Old 02-14-2014, 02:51 PM   #3688
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarkBuster79 View Post
good afternoon JD from snowy B.C. Canada! I have quietly been following your ride report for many months now (since the beginning) along with other great reports on ADV in preparation for my turn to ride south leaving October 2014. I wanted to say today a huge THANK YOU! for all the great advice and information that I have gathered from your report and more importantly from your outlook and attitude on life. I hope to adopt your easy going attitude and travel mojo so I can enjoy my moto experience as much as you have. I will surely call on you and your knowledge of C.A & S.A during latter parts of 2014 and 2015 but for now I will continue to follow along your RR daily. Thanks for the motivation JD, because of you and others I now have the ball rolling soon to be wheels rolling in your direction. Again thanks for Keeping up such a great ride report!!

John
Hi John,

Welcome. Less than a year and you'll be off on an adventure. That is what it's all about. You can PM me any time for advice or if you have questions. That's currently my only job. Glad to be of service if I can. You live in a beautiful area. I think my favourite road in the Kootenays has to be 3A just to the west of you a bit from Nelson across the ferry and down to Creston.

Saludos,
Juan de las Preguntas

JDowns screwed with this post 02-14-2014 at 02:58 PM
Old 02-14-2014, 02:53 PM   #3689
kwakbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 622
Peru looks awesome, did you see Paddington bear?(might just be a Uk thing)

More fun being upright
Old 02-14-2014, 03:10 PM   #3690
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakbiker View Post
Peru looks awesome, did you see Paddington bear?(might just be a Uk thing)
Hey kwakbiker,

I had to ask Ruth, the Brit bicycle tourer staying at the hostel here in Chile about Paddington bear:

I think I may have seen him in darkest Peru. But it could have been my mind playing tricks on me.

Cheers,
Juan Oso
Closed Thread