Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2014, 07:40 PM   #3736
Dracula
Deus ex machina

Oddometer: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post

Sorry to hear about your ankle. Bones heal. At least you had Ozzie blasting to take your mind off the pain while you were laying in the ditch. Rock and Roll can have a direct connection to your right wrist at times. Hard not to be going WFO if you are listening to this:

Your ADVpal,
Juan Musica
Awesome song! Just love it, listening to high energy rock when riding.
My bones are healed now, in fact doctor said he hasn't seen such strong ones very often. And it's second time I break same ankle in a moto mishap. It's the software that fails me more often, hahahaaa.. but I like it just the way it is, helps me enjoy the gorgeous star filled sky I see now in my back yard! Sure feels good to know when you are alive, it takes something special to do it.

May the travel gods be with you John!

Kindest regards,
Vic
Old 02-21-2014, 07:00 AM   #3737
drdubb
OFWG

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Hi John,

I kept following you silently and wanted to thank you once again for sharing a piece of your life with us, not just the ride. You inspire me with your steadiness no matter what life throws at you. They say life is 10% what happens to a person and 90% how they react to it. I wonder how you feel every day waking up to a new adventure. It has been a hell of a year last one with my escape from NY and relocating to North Carolina. The roads here are liberating, no traffic and plenty of dirt/gravel as well if one chooses. Not that I am an expert riding dirt. Had my ankle broken, almost both, when I trashed my GS over a hill top hitting deep gravel unexpected at about 60 with Ozzie blasting in my head . Live and learn to pay attention. Was under the influence of a powerful witch though, I think I am free of her now I learned that women have a way to reset their memory just as easy as you do your laptop. I plan to dedicate my next LD ride to that.

Best regards,
Vic

P.S. Sent you some gas money hope you didn't lose all plastics and can retrieve it.
I assume you are in Western NC if you have plenty of dirt and gravel. Not much down here at the Capitol City
'71 SL 350 - Honda
drdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:42 AM   #3738
Dracula
Deus ex machina

Oddometer: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdubb View Post
I assume you are in Western NC if you have plenty of dirt and gravel. Not much down here at the Capitol City
LOL I am actually in Fuquay Varina. There is a group here in ADV I follow never made it to introduce myslef. Raleigh/Fayetteville area riders. But they all seem too advanced and serious about riding trials and dirt for my skill level today, though would be nice to socialize. I hope we don't upset John's audience hijacking his thread, we can PM each other.

Cheers!
Vic
Old 02-21-2014, 10:03 AM   #3739
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 4,071
Dracula,
JDowns is very tolerant and I think that makes for a wise traveler.
Plus, he did encourage constructive banter in his thread.

John,
Any word on the fella with the bad barrel?
Sand probably did it in. Hope he changes his oil & filter.

Good run of pictars. The mosque was a surprise. Betcha the construction money was not local.

Best Regards...
OldPete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:43 PM   #3740
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPete View Post
Dracula,
JDowns is very tolerant and I think that makes for a wise traveler.
Plus, he did encourage constructive banter in his thread.

John,
Any word on the fella with the bad barrel?
Sand probably did it in. Hope he changes his oil & filter.

Good run of pictars. The mosque was a surprise. Betcha the construction money was not local.

Best Regards...
Hi OldPete,

Haven't heard from Hektoglider. I assume he is waiting for parts. I am heading south of Chañaral to camp at a spot he recommended on the coast as soon as I upload some photos and update this ride report.

And yes, people don't need to worry about hijacking this thread. Especially while I'm out camping.

Saludos,
Juan de Campamento
Old 02-21-2014, 03:09 PM   #3741
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Headed out from Antofagasta this morning. Gassed up at the edge of town and thought for a moment of getting an extra two liter pop bottle full of gas just in case but the gas station attendant assured me there was gas a couple hundred miles down the road, and he was right. Didn’t even hit reserve today. Pulled into the gas station and there were three couples from Brazil on his and her Harleys:

Really fun loving folks. They were heading to Cuzco Peru. They left Curitaba in southern Brazil on Valentines day and they were doing a 20 day 10,000 kilometer loop around central South America. They had screen printed Tee-shirts with the route. Along with custom stickers. They gave me one and I put it on the Sherpa tank where my knee rubs.

Heading south the terrain became more hilly with wild windswept designs on the hills:

Highlight of the day was stopping at Mano del Desierto (Hand of the desert) to get a shot of the Sherpa parked in front. This thing is out in the middle of nowhere:

I think Allstate, the good hands people should use it in their insurance ads.

Stopped to drink some water and these three rode up. Juan, Elizabeth and Christian from Santiago. I followed them the last 60 miles into Chañaral where I am now:

Went out to eat a really so-so dinner. So far it is hard to find anything decent to eat in northern Chile. Partly due to location and remoteness I suspect. Also, since I crossed the border I noticed there is no street food in Chile. No sidewalk vendors, no people cooking up tacos or shish kebabs. Not sure what is up with that.

That's it for today. Heading out to camp.

Hasta Mañana
Tio Juanito
Old 02-21-2014, 03:34 PM   #3742
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hi OldPete,

Haven't heard from Hektoglider. I assume he is waiting for parts. I am heading south of Chañaral to camp at a spot he recommended on the coast as soon as I upload some photos and update this ride report.

And yes, people don't need to worry about hijacking this thread. Especially while I'm out camping.

Saludos,
Juan de Campamento
Your going to a great spot for the night . Maybe the local beach dog will sleep beside your tent like it did at ours, so many weeks ago.
We have a package coming with a few small parts to get going again. The local machine shop is helping get things fixed up also. These little bikes are pretty simple to take apart.
JD we had a similiar experience meeting Brazillians doing a big loop ride in South America and they gave us stickers, and a T-Shirt with their route & logos on it.
Great to see the Sherpa at the hand.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:17 PM   #3743
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 578
Im waiting for the news to report that South American countries are being invaded by Super Sherpa motor cycles .
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:18 PM   #3744
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 578
Im waiting for the news to report that South American countries are being invaded by Super Sherpa motor cycles .

Forget the british invasion , its the Sherpa invasion baby .
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:23 PM   #3745
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Plenty of nice free places to camp south of Chañaral starting at:

S 26º 23.113’
W 70º 39.936’

and continuing down the coast for miles. You can take pretty much any sand road down into the rock formations and find a flat spot:

or there are more formal spots with shelters and firepits like this:

It was cool and overcast this morning heading down the coast. First clouds I’ve seen in a while.

Had to stop at the Zoológico de Piedras (stone zoo):

There were more wind swept house sized granite boulders that looked like animals. They had a sand road leading around that took you to the Elephant, Rhinocerous, Lion etc. They were calling this one an Oca (goose). Looks more like some sort of raptor to me:

Anyway, it was fun wandering around the desert spacing out.

After climbing up through the mountains away from the coast the road straightened out again. I like stopping at these convenient bus shelters on the side of the road to take a siesta on the bench and get out of the sun. No need to burn yourself out doing this ADVrider stuff.

The marine air was actually cool and I stopped to put on my down jacket right before I entered this fog bank spilling over the pass:

before coming out of the clouds and winding down to the ocean once again:

It was getting dark by the time I hit La Serena and I had written down the addresses of two hostels that had cheap beds. Alas, it is Saturday night and they were full. So I headed south. But it is quite urban down here and one city led to another. I’m getting back to civilization. Anyway, I didn’t feel like riding at night since my headlight points akimbo since I got run off the road in Peru. So I stopped at yet another overpriced fleabag hotel with wifi where they let me park the Sherpa in the lobby.

more later…..
Old 02-24-2014, 03:34 AM   #3746
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Made it down the coast a couple hundred miles on Sunday. It was overcast and grey and I didn’t take any pictures except for the three Argentine amigos on big GS’s that stopped to say hi. They were traveling down from Colombia like me and were on a mission south to Ushuaia:

Finally made it to Lorraines cabin on the beach where I find myself this morning. It is a slice of heaven. My office this morning on the couch on her deck:

Lorraine is a delightful nomadic free spirit living with her dogs for now in Chile. As I said, I last met her through Horizons Unlimited 8 years ago when she was living in a small fishing village in Costa Rica and invited me to stay at her place there. She hasn’t changed much. Her white Chevy van that she drove down from the U.S. finally gave up the ghost and has been replaced with a white Mitsubishi van. And the two dogs she was traveling with from Africa through North America and down to Chile passed away last year and have been replaced with two more dogs. The lovely Luna:

who is part greyhound with tiger stripes on her face. Looks like a little tatooed Maori. And the rambunctious Widget:

They are keeping me company this morning at sunrise as the tide comes in below.

Lorraine confirmed what I suspected that Chileans cook fine food at home, but the roadside restaurants leave a bit to be desired. So I will be eating out of stores from now on. Thank goodness that after being in the desert for 10 days there are now fruits and vegetables available in the stores. It is nearing autumn harvest time in Chile for peaches, plums, apples, ruby red seedless grapes plus a variety of nuts, avocados, and other local produce. It is reasonably priced. I am telling you this so you’ll understand why I may become a fruitarian for a while. I have only been in Chile for 10 days and have blown through 600 bucks. That’s a lot for me. Local produce is cheap, but any kind of imported or canned food is expensive. And restaurants are expensive and mediocre at best.

Chile is a wonderful country with friendly people, so if I want to stay here for a while I am going to have to come up with some creative ideas on how to cut my expenses in half. In Costa Rica and the United States that involved camping the whole way. Here in Chile it will be the same to a large degree. Plus buying fresh produce and staying away from restaurants.

Last night I went to the local store and bought some lettuce and Lorraine made a fabulous salad with some spaghetti. Best meal I’ve had in Chile.

Saludos,
Juan de la Costa

JDowns screwed with this post 02-24-2014 at 04:21 AM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 04:36 AM   #3747
kwakbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
Looks nice and relaxed, surely your headlight can be pointed down by loosening the side bolts and moving it John?

More fun being upright
kwakbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:18 AM   #3748
bouldergeek
Filthy, poor KLR dweeb

Oddometer: 1,074
Bumping this wonderful thread from Sucre, Bolivia!

I went up through Argentina, as I didn't want a fifth Argentina-Chile crossing in three months. So, I missed the Atacama.

This is the ride report I wish I were writing. Rock on, stay healthy, and mind the credit cards.

Chile was hideously expensive for me, as well. As was Argentina, while I had to live on ATM pesos at 5.8 to the dollar. Dolarblue.net for current state of the Arg peso.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

From the End of the Earth to the End of the Road: South Pole to the Darien
bouldergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:01 AM   #3749
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakbiker View Post
Looks nice and relaxed, surely your headlight can be pointed down by loosening the side bolts and moving it John?
Hi kwakbiker,

Yes. The brackets are slightly bent so I'll dis-assemble it and get it pointed in the right direction while I take a break at this lovely beach cabin. Need to change the oil. And the chain and sprockets have 30,000 miles and are on their last leg as well. Fortunately, Trespalacios was kind enough to send down a new rear sprocket to Colombia for Christmas and I have a spare front sprocket. Just need a decent o-ring chain. Maybe in Santiago 100 miles down the road.

Your ADVpal,
Tio Juanito
Old 02-24-2014, 06:07 AM   #3750
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldergeek View Post
Bumping this wonderful thread from Sucre, Bolivia!

I went up through Argentina, as I didn't want a fifth Argentina-Chile crossing in three months. So, I missed the Atacama.

This is the ride report I wish I were writing. Rock on, stay healthy, and mind the credit cards.

Chile was hideously expensive for me, as well. As was Argentina, while I had to live on ATM pesos at 5.8 to the dollar. Dolarblue.net for current state of the Arg peso.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
Hi bouldergeek,

Glad to hear from you. I hear Sucre is an okay place. It's never too late to start a ride report. You'll enjoy re-reading it when you get old like me. Plus, think of the future grandkids you're depriving by keeping your stories and pictures to yourself. Just kidding.

You can't see all of South America in one trip. I'm just scratching the surface six months at a time as finances allow.

Buena Suerte,
Juan Vagabundo