Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 05:09 PM   #3826
Voidrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 992
Hey John,

Keep and eye out for "Oregon" on signs appearing in Chile. From Radioman's ride report, he noted that they grow Douglas Fir in Chile but it appears they use "Oregon Fir" as a common name. He saw it on mills and signs for lumber.

I thought of this when you commented about your ride being like one from Roseburg to the coast. I got a bit of a kick from seeing the signs in Radioman's RR. Talk about maybe feeling a bit confused as to where you are riding!
Old 03-03-2014, 06:29 PM   #3827
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voidrider View Post
Hey John,

Keep and eye out for "Oregon" on signs appearing in Chile. From Radioman's ride report, he noted that they grow Douglas Fir in Chile but it appears they use "Oregon Fir" as a common name. He saw it on mills and signs for lumber.

I thought of this when you commented about your ride being like one from Roseburg to the coast. I got a bit of a kick from seeing the signs in Radioman's RR. Talk about maybe feeling a bit confused as to where you are riding!
Hi Voidrider,

I saw a lot of Oregon signs today. One company had trucks that said "Madras, Oregon" on the side.

No problems with spotted owls down here. They have planted doug fir on thousands of acres:

They are all lined up as you ride through the forest. Kind of like the pine trees planted in the depression years in New Zealand.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:51 PM   #3828
slowpoke69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Late, but IN!!

As is par for the course, I'm LATE AS HELL to the party but I'm in! Thanks to a link from Gene n Neda's RR I found yours.

Glad to see you're still rolling, stay safe!

HUGE stones taking off from your AO in the cold, on a Sherpa no less, love it! Stay safe and keep rolling, if I'm lucky I'll get to do something similar once the kids are out.

1st of 3 moved out this past weekend, I love 'em, but after 25 years, they need their own space, they always know dad will be there.
My time shall come.

06 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100
Old 03-03-2014, 06:59 PM   #3829
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Headed down the long lonesome highway this morning. I like this Mercedes flatbed. Put a camper/toy hauler on the back of this rig and you could live in South America;

Highlight of the day was chasing a 12GS down the highway for mles. He finally pulled over and I met Miguel Silvestre. I have seen his videos on ADVrider He’s a great guy as it turns out. He is sponsored by BMW and Tourtech. so had all the bling.. I am sponsored by you guys so Miguel took a pic of my gas tank. Pretty fun running into a fellow ADVrider:

Cut over through the coastal hills folllowing log trucks:

and reached the town of Constitución:

I had passed a police truck on the cuirves heading down the hill and when I stopped to take this pic they pulled up and wanted to know what I was thinking. I explained that I was a tourist on vacation and loved the Chilean people. They let me go with a warning. I passed them on a curve a little while later and zipped past a few semis on the centerline. No way they could catch me on a dirt bike slicing through traffic in Constitución.

Got some grub and headed south. Looks like southern Oregon with all the haystacks:

more later……

JDowns screwed with this post 03-03-2014 at 07:25 PM
Old 03-03-2014, 07:12 PM   #3830
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke69 View Post
As is par for the course, I'm LATE AS HELL to the party but I'm in! Thanks to a link from Gene n Neda's RR I found yours.

Glad to see you're still rolling, stay safe!

HUGE stones taking off from your AO in the cold, on a Sherpa no less, love it! Stay safe and keep rolling, if I'm lucky I'll get to do something similar once the kids are out.

1st of 3 moved out this past weekend, I love 'em, but after 25 years, they need their own space, they always know dad will be there.
My time shall come.
Hey slowpoke69,

Glad to have you aboard for the ride. Your time is now.

Saludos,
Juan Viajero
Old 03-03-2014, 07:31 PM   #3831
MadChap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post

I saw a lot of Oregon signs today. One company had trucks that said "Madras, Oregon" on the side.

Too funny. If you have a picture of this I'd love to see a truck from my home town down in Chile. Too funny. As far as I know there are only two ADV'rs here in Madras.

Tim
Madras, OR
Old 03-04-2014, 09:32 AM   #3832
woc4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
addicted

hey juan viajero
my DOA (is not dead on arrival) to san Carlos de Bariloche and Cardenal Antonio Samore Pass is march 6 plus minus 5 days. I'll bolo for a guy riding a Super Sherpa that looks like me. (a vagabond) hope to meet you around there. Weather is nice usually around this time of the year for riding bikes down there. cheers

Pepe scooterman
Old 03-04-2014, 10:39 AM   #3833
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woc4 View Post
hey juan viajero
my DOA (is not dead on arrival) to san Carlos de Bariloche and Cardenal Antonio Samore Pass is march 6 plus minus 5 days. I'll bolo for a guy riding a Super Sherpa that looks like me. (a vagabond) hope to meet you around there. Weather is nice usually around this time of the year for riding bikes down there. cheers

Pepe scooterman

Dumped the Sherpa in a low speed tip in the sand going out to camp last night south of Constitución. Picked it up and must have shook something loose. No lights, no spark. Got a ride with the Sherpa back into town with a fisherman in the back of his pickup. Battery connections were fine. Took the battery down to test it and it is fine. Currently at a cheap hospedaje waiting to get a lift to a mechanic across town to do some troubleshooting to find the source of the problem. It's probably something simple. But still, it may be a while before I get over to Bariloche. Sorry.

Saludos,
Juan sin Electriciodad
Old 03-04-2014, 10:51 AM   #3834
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 4,500
Might be as simple as a pinched to ground hot wire and a blown fuse Juan.
Check the battery ground at the frame as it can also cause all kinds of issues and is often overlooked.

Do not hesitate to post in our garage forum as there are a number of sharp m/c mechanics helping out fellas.

Best Regards,
OldPete
Old 03-04-2014, 01:26 PM   #3835
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPete View Post
Might be as simple as a pinched to ground hot wire and a blown fuse Juan.
Check the battery ground at the frame as it can also cause all kinds of issues and is often overlooked.

Do not hesitate to post in our garage forum as there are a number of sharp m/c mechanics helping out fellas.

Best Regards,
OldPete
Hi OldPete,

It turned out to be something simple. Just took the headlight and cowl off, cleaned all the connections and the power came back on. The battery was good, fuses were good, so it was just a matter of dirty connections that got jostled and lost contact somehow when the bike tipped over.

So will hit the highway tomorrow.

Saludos,
Tio Juanito
Old 03-04-2014, 03:51 PM   #3836
advFord
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 451
you're already way down here in Chile?!
We might cross paths again.
I'll be heading north over the next 3 weeks after I reach Ushuaia on Friday.
Facebook
Instagram @PlacesBeyond My Spot
Old 03-04-2014, 03:56 PM   #3837
Rick_E
Rick_E

Oddometer: 5
Better for it to happen while camping next to a city then when you are out on the windswept Pampas.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:04 PM   #3838
woc4
Adventurer

lost power

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Dumped the Sherpa in a low speed tip in the sand going out to camp last night south of Constitución. Picked it up and must have shook something loose. No lights, no spark. Got a ride with the Sherpa back into town with a fisherman in the back of his pickup. Battery connections were fine. Took the battery down to test it and it is fine. Currently at a cheap hospedaje waiting to get a lift to a mechanic across town to do some troubleshooting to find the source of the problem. It's probably something simple. But still, it may be a while before I get over to Bariloche. Sorry.

Saludos,
Juan sin Electriciodad
juan you can run but you cannot hide. if you don't cross to bariloche i'll cross to whatever place you are. I'll take a full bottle of electric power to fill it up the Sherpa. I got very itchy after this three month in Argentina, and I hope to make a trip to the south and after that heading to Uruguay, probably the beaches, because it is going to be cheap in a month or so after the summer holidays are off.

Pepe Roadrunner
Old 03-04-2014, 05:06 PM   #3839
woc4
Adventurer

Memory lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by woc4 View Post
juan you can run but you cannot hide. if you don't cross to bariloche i'll cross to whatever place you are. I'll take a full bottle of electric power to fill it up the Sherpa. I got very itchy after this three month in Argentina, and I hope to make a trip to the south and after that heading to Uruguay, probably the beaches, because it is going to be cheap in a month or so after the summer holidays are off.

Pepe Roadrunner
Remember what JFK said a long time ago dont get sorry, get even.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:50 PM   #3840
Rick_E
Rick_E

Oddometer: 5
Remember the 8,8

That is what some people call the earthquake that shook up the part of the country that you will be riding through. It took place on Feb. 27, 2010. the epicenter was off the coast just a little further south than where you are at. As you ride through towns you will probably not even notice the effects, unless you look for it.
Separated concrete slabs on the highway, vacant lots in town. Buildings that are not that old but they are abandoned. If you give people a chance they will tell you their story of what it was like the night of the 8,8.
If you ride through Dichato, take the time to have a look around, 80% of this small city was destroyed by the tsunami. It is amazing how Chileans have picked up the pieces of their lives and have moved ahead, very resilient.
Closed Thread