Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2014, 11:25 PM   #3841
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_E View Post
That is what some people call the earthquake that shook up the part of the country that you will be riding through. It took place on Feb. 27, 2010. the epicenter was off the coast just a little further south than where you are at. As you ride through towns you will probably not even notice the effects, unless you look for it.
Separated concrete slabs on the highway, vacant lots in town. Buildings that are not that old but they are abandoned. If you give people a chance they will tell you their story of what it was like the night of the 8,8.
If you ride through Dichato, take the time to have a look around, 80% of this small city was destroyed by the tsunami. It is amazing how Chileans have picked up the pieces of their lives and have moved ahead, very resilient.
Hi Rick,

I was told about the big earthquake. I will keep that in mind as I ride south today down to your neck of the woods.

I know it was interesting riding through northwest Guatemala a month after a major earthquake. It was amazing to see all the cleanup of fallen buildings even after that short time.

Will report back what I find.

Saludos,
Tio Juan
Old 03-06-2014, 04:49 AM   #3842
Turborob
Minimalist.

Oddometer: 598
Where abouts are you, John?

We've been following your RR over the years and are currently heading north up R40, crossing at Bariloche a few days ago. That's an easy place to change USDs to pesos. PM if you want exact(ish) loc. We got 10.6 a few days ago. You can also change them at the cambrio in the heavily wooded town just over the border (De Villa Agusturo or something).

We're on 125 Hondas, and are heading north after going Santiago to Punta Arenas. Hope to bump into you somewhere, we move slowly!

Rob.

The best rider is the one who enjoys it most.
Turborob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:20 AM   #3843
slowpoke69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourjon View Post
+1 This your ride and I like to hear your take on it all. Don't cater to what you think we want to hear. Let your freak flag fly!

John
I'm only on pg 31, but am enjoying the hell out of this RR!

I think it's cool to see it through the eyes of one who knows what they're looking at. Your perspective as a stone mason puts a whole different light on ruins, I, as someone who knows NOTHING about stuff like that would've just thought how cool it looked. You, as a professional, have a totally different perspective.

Like the man said, "Let your freak flag fly!"

Love that line!

06 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100
slowpoke69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:58 PM   #3844
CopaMundial
Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer: 1,006
I think you may be limiting your options by including "and back" in the title of your Ride Report.
CopaMundial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:17 PM   #3845
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopaMundial View Post
I think you may be limiting your options by including "and back" in the title of your Ride Report.
Hi CopaMundial,

Good point. Of course the title of this saga doesn't specifically say where "and back" is. The Sherpa doesn't seem to want to leave South America.

Saludos,
Tio Juan
Old 03-06-2014, 03:20 PM   #3846
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turborob View Post
Where abouts are you, John?

We've been following your RR over the years and are currently heading north up R40, crossing at Bariloche a few days ago. That's an easy place to change USDs to pesos. PM if you want exact(ish) loc. We got 10.6 a few days ago. You can also change them at the cambrio in the heavily wooded town just over the border (De Villa Agusturo or something).

We're on 125 Hondas, and are heading north after going Santiago to Punta Arenas. Hope to bump into you somewhere, we move slowly!

Rob.
Hi Turborob,

I am currently in Concepción Chile fixing up the Sherpa for more southern adventures. Thanks for the Bariloche cambio info. Hope to run into you down the road. I hope to continue down the coastal backroads from here on Saturday.

Saludos,
Juan sin Concepción
Old 03-06-2014, 03:31 PM   #3847
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Had a wonderful day riding down the coast yesterday from Constitución to Concepción Chile. It was warm and as the road continued south down the coast it wound through pine forests before cutting inland and down. It reminded me of a warm September day riding through the National Forest in Northern California. Finally reached Concepción and am staying with Rick_E and his lovely wife Laurel. Rick is a great guy.

I seem to have misplaced my last camera so no pics. I'll have to go buy one tomorrow. Rick took me around today to get a decent chain, fix my headlight and instrument cluster along with cleaning the air filter, changing out the sprockets, cutting off the old chain, installing the new one, replacing one of the rear brake pads that was worn out and other odds and ends.

Need to fix my jacket main zipper that disintegrated yesterday and change the oil and filter tomorrow. Hope to head further south on backroads along the coast the day after tomorrow.

Saludos,
Tio Juanito
Old 03-06-2014, 04:40 PM   #3848
agentsteel53
some guy

Oddometer: 24
how far south are you heading in Chile? I highly, highly recommend the Paso Roballo crossing into Argentina. and if you're in that area, definitely visit the Marble Caves. it's a boat tour and from what I recall it was a bit expensive (30USD per person or so) but well worth the cost.
agentsteel53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:53 PM   #3849
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentsteel53 View Post
how far south are you heading in Chile? I highly, highly recommend the Paso Roballo crossing into Argentina. and if you're in that area, definitely visit the Marble Caves. it's a boat tour and from what I recall it was a bit expensive (30USD per person or so) but well worth the cost.
Hi agentsteel53,

I'm wandering around in a southerly direction until it gets cold and rainy and then heading north through Argentina until it gets hot and I run out of money and have to fly home. If the bike is still running I'll head over to Uruguay and park it until next fall. That's as much as I know.

Thanks for the ideas.

Saludos,
Tio Juanito
Old 03-06-2014, 06:19 PM   #3850
agentsteel53
some guy

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hi agentsteel53,

I'm wandering around in a southerly direction until it gets cold and rainy and then heading north through Argentina until it gets hot and I run out of money and have to fly home. If the bike is still running I'll head over to Uruguay and park it until next fall. That's as much as I know.

Thanks for the ideas.

Saludos,
Tio Juanito
those places I mentioned are actually quite far south... and are the furthest north I ever got in Patagonia! definitely check out a wide spot in the road on Ruta40 called Bajo Caracoles and say "hola" to Nestor for me. (down there you will have to plan your gas quite carefully; if the gas station in Tres Lagos is out of service -- as opposed to our inability to find it -- then it is 500km without nafta between Bajo Caracoles and El Calafate.)
agentsteel53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:20 PM   #3851
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Coastline in Central Chile:

and the road south of Constitución:

Working on the Sherpa today:

and what a Sherpa spark plug looks like after 30,000 miles and getting washed over by seawater:

Still had gap in spec and good color, but Rick had a lightly used NGK CR8E that I replaced it with.

more later…..
Old 03-06-2014, 07:02 PM   #3852
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 3,853
Ya know, all that rusty crap on the plug's insulator can be an electrical conductor.

Glad you seem to have found the camera.
OldPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:44 AM   #3853
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke69 View Post
...Like the man said, "Let your freak flag fly!" Love that line!
Hendrix!
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:11 AM   #3854
Leo.G
Is still learning

Oddometer: 353
Mate, how west are you right now? or better.. how east are you comming into Argentina? I'm in almost the middle of the country, depending on the date but I'm in Marcos Juárez or in Rio Cuarto, both cities in the province of Córdoba...

Just for the chance of seeing each other, if not, well, if you need anything that I can help you with, just give me a call..
Old 03-07-2014, 04:54 PM   #3855
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo.G View Post
Mate, how west are you right now? or better.. how east are you comming into Argentina? I'm in almost the middle of the country, depending on the date but I'm in Marcos Juárez or in Rio Cuarto, both cities in the province of Córdoba...

Just for the chance of seeing each other, if not, well, if you need anything that I can help you with, just give me a call..
Hi Leo.G,

I will make sure to get in touch with you when I am in your area of Argentina. I look forward to meeting you. The highlight of my travels is meeting other like minded ADVriders.

Saludos,
Tio Juanito