User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 09:12 PM   #3886
chillouttexas
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I've notice the rear box is missing in your recent pictures of the bike.
Did it bite the dust in one of your wrecks?
Old 03-11-2014, 05:42 AM   #3887
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillouttexas View Post
I've notice the rear box is missing in your recent pictures of the bike.
Did it bite the dust in one of your wrecks?
Hi chillouttexas,

It popped off on a rough backroad a few days back. This is the third time this has happened and the latch broke and spilled my laptop, sleeping bag and gps out on the gravel. Back in Central America it happened a couple times going over topes. Each time I have seen it tumbling down the road in my mirror, but I decided to ditch it and consolidate since I have a lot of room in the saddlebags and can't afford to lose my laptop. I'll have to come up with a better solution next year. Probably something without a latching mechanism that just bolts on to the rear rack so it can't fly off. Maybe a small flat pelican case.

Saludos,
Tio Juanito
Old 03-11-2014, 07:34 AM   #3888
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
South America and back on a 250 Super Sherpa Minimalist Adventure

Enjoying your travels. The lakes area is pretty nice if the weather cooperates. We could not see Volcan Villarica, due to clouds, but later on we did ride up to Volcan Osorno, on a clear day. Pretty nice.
Maybe we can have the April Fools Sherpa Rally in Uruguay later, 1st or 2nd week of April. ? I'll pick up some can food .....
Hope the weather holds out for you.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-2014, 09:40 AM   #3889
NNS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Don't see much written up on Uruguay in the ride reports here..
Looking forward to both of your impressions of that country when you get there..
Hekto, I hope you do a ride report of the ride you are on now when you get back to Canada..
I really enjoyed your Ecuador report..
The steepness of some those hills you rode was amazing..
Old 03-11-2014, 12:04 PM   #3890
trespalacios
Oh libertad

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
I'll have to come up with a better solution next year. Probably something without a latching mechanism that just bolts on to the rear rack so it can't fly off. Maybe a small flat pelican case.
This case may work better when on a budget. It has been as good as the Pelican I had on my v-strom. I'll have one ready for you when you stop by my house

I met Chris from the Guatemala Enduro tour company (175grams). He told me the story about going with you to a MX track (near Antigua?). Anyway, he says hi

Antioquia, tierra de mis amores
Some trail riding stories
Old 03-11-2014, 12:39 PM   #3891
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,884
Another hi quality less expensive version of case.
http://www.seahorsecasesonline.com/

Hi John.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:55 PM   #3892
Corpsman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Cases

HI John,

First time writer, but longtime reader. I have totally enjoyed your epic travels. Just a idea on a budget cases, I just bought night vision google cases used from military surplus $30 dollars a case. They would make great cases, as soon as I get mine painted and mounted I'll send you a pic.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:13 PM   #3893
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,530
JD, Your top box and mounting plate look similar to the JC Whitney I put on - unbelievably inexpensive and astonishingly robust for the cost. It beats bolt on in that you can carry it, saving you the hassle of emptying and repacking and finding a way to carry the contents and trying not to lose stuff... and when you bang it into something, notice I didn't say "if", the mounting latch serves as like a safety release on skis - it pops free without breaking the case nor the mounting structure. By bending the latch striker plate closer to or further from the latch pin, you can set the force required to break it free. A safety lanyard (strap, bungee) can keep it from bouncing down the road and over the side of the cliff into the raging river below that appears tiny because you're hundreds of feet above it. It's not a givi, it's a minimalist knockoff.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 03-12-2014, 03:02 AM   #3894
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
Another hi quality less expensive version of case.
http://www.seahorsecasesonline.com/

Hi John.
Hi Dave,

Nice looking affordable cases. Thanks for the link.

Long time no see. I was heading up Peoria Road on a Sunday last August on the XR and dropped by your house to say hi but you guys were gone.

Your ADVpal,
Airhead John
Old 03-12-2014, 03:05 AM   #3895
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpsman View Post
HI John,

First time writer, but longtime reader. I have totally enjoyed your epic travels. Just a idea on a budget cases, I just bought night vision google cases used from military surplus $30 dollars a case. They would make great cases, as soon as I get mine painted and mounted I'll send you a pic.
Hi Corpsman,

Nice to have you along for the ride. Look forward to seeing what your cases look like when you get them painted up.
Always appreciate budget ideas. Not only for me but for others reading this ride report as well.

Muchas gracias,
Tio Juanito
Old 03-12-2014, 03:12 AM   #3896
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trespalacios View Post
This case may work better when on a budget. It has been as good as the Pelican I had on my v-strom. I'll have one ready for you when you stop by my house

I met Chris from the Guatemala Enduro tour company (175grams). He told me the story about going with you to a MX track (near Antigua?). Anyway, he says hi

Hi Ricardo,

Chris from CAtours in Antigua is a great guy. I had fun at the MX track with him, Ratbikemike and the other CAtours riders watching Guatemalan kids tear it up. Almost as much fun watching the families on the sidelines cheering their kids on. There were some talented riders out there.

Look forward to seeing you next summer when I get out to the Carolinas.

Saludos,
Juan Em-ay Ek-ees
Old 03-12-2014, 03:16 AM   #3897
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektoglider View Post
Enjoying your travels. The lakes area is pretty nice if the weather cooperates. We could not see Volcan Villarica, due to clouds, but later on we did ride up to Volcan Osorno, on a clear day. Pretty nice.
Maybe we can have the April Fools Sherpa Rally in Uruguay later, 1st or 2nd week of April. ? I'll pick up some can food .....
Hope the weather holds out for you.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Hi Kari,

Sherpa rally on April fools day sounds good to me. I'll supply the canned tuna and peas on crackers aperitifs.

Where are you guys now? I've been hanging out in Pucon a couple days to see if the weather clears south of here. Doesn't look promising, so may head to Central Argentina where the sun and hot weather is.

Saludos,
Juan Sherpa
Old 03-12-2014, 09:32 AM   #3898
Rick_E
Rick_E

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
:-) That is very helpful to know, John. Thanks. I've always felt compelled to brush some gear oil on my ringed chains before each ride but perhaps I've been doing the chain a disservice considering that sometimes I do get accumulation of debris, and it could be that helps the debris breach the seal of the rings and turn the grease inside into an abrasive paste. I recall reading some type of wax is suggested however the only way I've noticed it available is in spray cans at the dealer, and well you know, that's going to be a high margin item. I've never delved into this, but I will now, and not be so concerned about oiling it up now that you've told me about your experience. I have to fight my instincts though being that old habits are hard to break - it used to be that if any life at all waswornout expected of the chain, it had to be kept lubed with oil.
Saludos, Jorge el resbaloso
Hi Jorge, John changed out his chain here in Concepción, Chile. I was amazed at the condition of his 30K mile chain, it still had life in it; worn but not worn out. All he could say about it was that it was an RK O-ring chain that had never been oiled, aside from what it has when new. I took a look at the O-rings and found a cross reference chart that indicated it was most likely a 520-EXW chain.

Here is a link to the o-ring chart
http://www.rk-japan.co.jp/global/chain/chain_oring.htm

a picture of the o-rings that came off of JDown's SUPER sherpa
Old 03-12-2014, 11:00 AM   #3899
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_E View Post
Hi Jorge, John changed out his chain here in Concepción, Chile. I was amazed at the condition of his 30K mile chain, it still had life in it; worn but not worn out. All he could say about it was that it was an RK O-ring chain that had never been oiled, aside from what it has when new. I took a look at the O-rings and found a cross reference chart that indicated it was most likely a 520-EXW chain.

Here is a link to the o-ring chart
http://www.rk-japan.co.jp/global/chain/chain_oring.htm

a picture of the o-rings that came off of JDown's SUPER sherpa
Gracias Rick! I bet it was a blast hangin' with Tio Juan a bit. Good thinking to check and good find on the cool chart; the pic definitly looks like it matches the type XW seal. That could mean EXW or GXW (I'm looking at this table toward the bottom of the page) and I would also lean toward E going by the CC ratings. The dimensions given are the same, but the weight and tensile strength of the G is a bit more than the E. Aside from weighing 100 links, one way to indicate which it is could be is whether it used a clip-type or rivet master link, as per the chart the G uses a rivet-type master and the X a clip. Bottom line is either of those is the next chain I'll buy as that is the best testimonial to a chain I've seen. Cuidese!

PS: your pic is not coming up in the posts on my machine, but if I access the URL directly, I see it.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 03-12-2014, 04:12 PM   #3900
175grams
Guatemala Moto Guide

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hi Ricardo,

Chris from CAtours in Antigua is a great guy. I had fun at the MX track with him, Ratbikemike and the other CAtours riders watching Guatemalan kids tear it up. Almost as much fun watching the families on the sidelines cheering their kids on. There were some talented riders out there.

Look forward to seeing you next summer when I get out to the Carolinas.

Saludos,
Juan Em-ay Ek-ees
It was a small world moment when you came up after Ricardo and I started talking shop. Glad to hear you're still living the dream!

Safe travels,
Chris
Closed Thread