Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 01:14 PM   #3946
DustDog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Like the new definition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Seal View Post
Seems like the definition of vegetarian in SA means eating grass fed beef?

Juan will keep us posted!
Hi Chip Seal: not what i mean but actually a good definition.
veg.e.tar.i.an (noun)
Somebody eating meat only from grass fed beef

Like it, feeling better already
Old 03-17-2014, 01:22 PM   #3947
DustDog
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hola Ramón,

I look forward to Uruguay. So far Chile is a bust when it comes to beef. Of course I'm from Nebraska and a bit spoiled. Thick juicy steaks are not a possibility in Chile.

I'm heading south in Chile until the weather turns and then swinging over to the land of asado.

Saludos,
Tio Juancito
I wish i could be there in Uruguay as well to share some good asados with you. I'm sure my brother will take good care of you.
I couldn't find an asado icon....cheers my friend
Old 03-17-2014, 06:11 PM   #3948
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustDog View Post
I wish i could be there in Uruguay as well to share some good asados with you. I'm sure my brother will take good care of you.
I couldn't find an asado icon....cheers my friend
Ramon!

I will be over in Uruguay in a couple weeks or three. Can't wait to meet su hermano. And please know, if it is not okay to park the Sherpa at his place, no problema. But I must say, you are like a brother from a different mother. and the thought of riding with you and your brother next year brings a smile to my face.

Su amigo de Patagonia,

Tio Juancito
Old 03-17-2014, 06:29 PM   #3949
DustDog
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Ramon!

I will be over in Uruguay in a couple weeks or three. Can't wait to meet su hermano. And please know, if it is not okay to park the Sherpa at his place, no problema. But I must say, you are like a brother from a different mother. and the thought of riding with you and your brother next year brings a smile to my face.

Su amigo de Patagonia,

Tio Juancito
Hi john: i just talk with my brother yesterday to remind him about your bike and your visit to Uruguay. He says it is not a problem at all. You can store it in his house as long as you need. Also, i have plenty of family with houses with good garages. You will have to use your best Spanish because nobody from my family speaks English:-)The good thing of leaving your Sherpa with him is that he will start it from times to time if you want. Also, if you need lodging in Carmelo or Montevideo you just let me know, i can easily arrange it. We are starting to define dates for the south loop of next year. It will be mid January to mid February. So far we are 3 confirmed uruguayans, another uruguayan to confirm and possible a Dutch rider. It will be fun to ride with you if you are still around. Will send you contact info in a few days........cheers
Old 03-18-2014, 07:28 AM   #3950
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Took off this morning from Chos Malal, Argentina and immediately met some Chilenos on Triiumphs
and Africa twins:

The weather changed dramatically overnight just like the tourist office said. The ferocious west winds died over night and a light southerly breeze was at my back down the road less travelled:

Sailing down the road reminded me of so many places in the great basin i have been though:

I stopped in one pueblo to look for gas. They didn’t have anything but there was a guy carving up marble into Picasso-sque torsos:

The pavement ran out for 40 kilometers and it was riverrock marbles that were a challenge even with knobbies.The grader had been through recently and spread the round gravel out on the road. It is much easier riding in the gutters that trucks have made and avoiding the high gravel berms in between, but the grader smoothed all the marbles out and it was a bit squirrley. This pic is at the beginning before the deep stuff:

At points today I imagined i had been teleported to Eastern Oregon again as I travelled through the painted hills:

and rode along the Rio Grande river cutting throuth volcanic
basalt. Reminded me of the Dechutes river.

Stopped to chat with Yevgeni from Moscow. I wish I was Russian and ripped and determined to head to Ushuaia. Okay, I know he is going to freeze his buttooski next month, but I give him the thumbs up. Hey, he’s Russian from Moscow. 0 degrados is probably nothing for him. Anyway, Yevgeni gave me the 411 on the road to Mendoza. 30 miles of pothole slalom, 20 miles of construction gravel and mud and then 250 miles of pavimeiento to Mendoza:

more later….

JDowns screwed with this post 03-18-2014 at 03:23 PM
Old 03-18-2014, 07:42 AM   #3951
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 4,682
Got anymore pics of the Russian's bicycle? I do see flat bars.

A cyclist will know road conditions for sure.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:05 PM   #3952
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Just set up my tent at a campground in San Rafael 150 miles south of Mendoza. Pictures and stories uploading now.

continuing......
Old 03-18-2014, 03:26 PM   #3953
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPete View Post
Got anymore pics of the Russian's bicycle? I do see flat bars.

A cyclist will know road conditions for sure.
That's the only pic I took of Yevgeni. His bicycle was pretty tricked out. Sorry no pics of the bike.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:32 PM   #3954
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
Guess we'll see you soon then.....

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Old 03-18-2014, 03:40 PM   #3955
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektoglider View Post
Guess we'll see you soon then.....

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Should make Mendoza tomorrow for a Sherpa pow-wow. Look forward to seeing you folks. I like the Sherpa on top of old smoky pic.

Saludos,
Juan Sherpa
Old 03-18-2014, 03:56 PM   #3956
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

I seem to be spending about 30 bucks a day over here in Argentina. Everything is cheaper on this side of the Andes. Plenty of cheap campgrounds to pitch a tent, some with wifi. Even the inexpensive hotels are much cheaper compared to Chile.

I stopped to say hi to travelbugblues and Aussie Tom yesterday as they were resting on the side of the road. Haven’t seen them since.

Today was a lot of straight line riding to the horizon through the pampas. Highlight of the day was seeing 3 gauchos on horseback riding across the plains in the distance. It was windy again today and surprisingly cool as the road seemed to climb slowly and steadily across the prairie. Totally different look and feel in Mendoza province. As the road neared San Rafael there were vast wine vinyards and olive orchards.

Crossed the river south of town and saw the big camping sign so pulled down the gravel road to the river where I am camped now. Really nice campground but a bit pricier at 30 pesos for me and 70 pesos for the tent. But still, ten bucks isn’t bad for a shower and high speed internet in my tent.

Should make Mendoza tomorrow for the annual South American Sherpa Rally with Hektoglider and Thorne.

That’s it for today. Nothing jumped out at me to take a picture of today.

Saludos,
Tio Juanito
Old 03-18-2014, 04:03 PM   #3957
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustDog View Post
Hi john: i just talk with my brother yesterday to remind him about your bike and your visit to Uruguay. He says it is not a problem at all. You can store it in his house as long as you need. Also, i have plenty of family with houses with good garages. You will have to use your best Spanish because nobody from my family speaks English:-)The good thing of leaving your Sherpa with him is that he will start it from times to time if you want. Also, if you need lodging in Carmelo or Montevideo you just let me know, i can easily arrange it. We are starting to define dates for the south loop of next year. It will be mid January to mid February. So far we are 3 confirmed uruguayans, another uruguayan to confirm and possible a Dutch rider. It will be fun to ride with you if you are still around. Will send you contact info in a few days........cheers
Sounds good. Look forward to hearing from you.

Muchas gracias amigo,
Tio Juancito
Old 03-18-2014, 04:22 PM   #3958
roadisattva
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Hello John

Been reading your stories for over a year now and after one session of reading I happened to look onCraigslist and yes there was a Sherpa.
I bought it for $700 thinking parts bike but got it running and all was good until a more in depth look underneath and discovered a glob of JB weld where the oil plug should be. The PO thought he pulled one over on me.

Well with you as inspiration for overcoming all setbacks I got about turning this lemon into lemonade

With a new main starter clutch and minor checks and tweaks, I will have a capable Sherpa for under a thousand and beginning my touring stories this season.
By the way John, I have spent some weeks in the last couple years working on the Peterson ranch south of Newport and been to Bassett several times,
believe it or not my daughter of 29 was a ranch hand and lasted two years before a boyfriend and greener pastures took her to the Newell, SD area.
I put a couple more pics on the SS thread. My Sherpa has 22,000 miles showing and I hope to be reporting 50,000 plus in my stories in a few years.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:21 AM   #3959
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadisattva View Post
Been reading your stories for over a year now and after one session of reading I happened to look onCraigslist and yes there was a Sherpa.
I bought it for $700 thinking parts bike but got it running and all was good until a more in depth look underneath and discovered a glob of JB weld where the oil plug should be. The PO thought he pulled one over on me.

Well with you as inspiration for overcoming all setbacks I got about turning this lemon into lemonade

With a new main starter clutch and minor checks and tweaks, I will have a capable Sherpa for under a thousand and beginning my touring stories this season.
By the way John, I have spent some weeks in the last couple years working on the Peterson ranch south of Newport and been to Bassett several times,
believe it or not my daughter of 29 was a ranch hand and lasted two years before a boyfriend and greener pastures took her to the Newell, SD area.
I put a couple more pics on the SS thread. My Sherpa has 22,000 miles showing and I hope to be reporting 50,000 plus in my stories in a few years.
Hi roadisattva,

Amazing you worked at Peterson ranch. Small world. I like what you did with your Sherpa. Pretty bogus for a seller to not mention drain plug. Must have been a hellacious rock to have ripped it clean off like that. That's why I carry two part epoxy and a spare quart of oil.

If it's any consolation, my Sherpa has a blob of epoxy where the previous wife owner dumped it in a rock quarry and holed the clutch cover 40,000 miles ago. I like your repair better though.

Saludos,
Nebraska John
Old 03-19-2014, 05:54 AM   #3960
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

The campground here in San Rafael is located at GPS waypoint:

S 34º 38.759'
W 68º 22.285'

Blue skies and sunny weather this morning. Heading north to Mendoza.

more later......
Closed Thread