Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 02:59 PM   #3976
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by woc4 View Post
hello john long time no see you, wondering which way are you heading, I just arrived from a couple of days in Uruguay, looking for parts and tires for my little scooter. are you going to do the wine trail ? Please eltme know and I'll jump on the saddle again. Enjoy the grape country

Pepe Chispa
Hola Guapo Don Pépé,

I am currently in Mendoza relaxing for a couple days. It was getting rainy and cold down south in Chile and southern Patagonia so I turned north. Am heading to Uruguay via Cordoba in the next couple weeks.

Hope to see you down the road. You can tell where I'm at by reading this ride report. I update it regularly.

Saludos,
Tio Juanito
Old 03-20-2014, 03:08 PM   #3977
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Went touring around Mendoza Argentina with Hekto and Thorne in an open air bus this afternoon. We ran into a Harley rally over by the Plaza de Independencia:

Hektoglider was convinced they had come to the Sherpa rally. Will have to go back this evening for the live music in the park. They were rocking out. Thunderstruck by AC/DC is a great rally tune.

The tour took us around to view the dozens of beautiful parks:

and old buildings:

Mendoza is a nice place. Wide avenues with open air cafes:

A great place to relax for a few days.

more later…..
Old 03-20-2014, 04:41 PM   #3978
Travelbugblues
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
One week in Peru?!

Hey Tio! Hope you're well! I'm in Buenos Aires now visiting family, having left my little Honda (and Tom) safely in the Andes.

Question for you:

A girl friend is coming to meet me in Lima in mid-May, to use the bike Tom will have vacated. She only has a week. Any good route suggestions/places to see that will give her a real taste of Peru? I don't think we'll have time to go into the mountains... The other thought was having her meet me in Cusco and riding down the Andes from there. I won't put her through the stress of struggling up the Andes on a 125cc!! This is the same girl who started my 2012 motorcycle trip with me.

Take care!!
Old 03-20-2014, 04:47 PM   #3979
Travelbugblues
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
And a note to your readers...

And a quick note to your readers, and to anyone you might know, John, who's interested:

As Tio Juan mentioned, he ran into me and Tom at a campground in northern Patagonia. We're heading north, but Tom will leave when we get to Peru. I'll have a vacated 125cc Honda CGL for sale for $800 (new as of Jan 2014) or a 125cc Honda Storm (also new as of Feb) for $1,300 sometime in May or June. Both very cool little bikes, and I'm happy to ride either one. I'll be continuing my trip northwards towards the U.S. if anyone wants to come buy my bike and have their own rad journey, do let me know (and you're welcome to continue north with me too, if you're not an axe murderer or a weirdo!).

Tio Juan, if you end up in either Buenos Aires or in Rosario in the next two weeks, let me know! If you head towards Uruguay, depending on which way you go, check out Esteros del Ibera, some really neat swamp areas in the middle of the pampas. Very unexpected natural beauty and wildlife. May be a bit too north for you, though.

xo
Elisa
Old 03-20-2014, 05:12 PM   #3980
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelbugblues View Post
And a quick note to your readers, and to anyone you might know, John, who's interested:

As Tio Juan mentioned, he ran into me and Tom at a campground in northern Patagonia. We're heading north, but Tom will leave when we get to Peru. I'll have a vacated 125cc Honda CGL for sale for $800 (new as of Jan 2014) or a 125cc Honda Storm (also new as of Feb) for $1,300 sometime in May or June. Both very cool little bikes, and I'm happy to ride either one. I'll be continuing my trip northwards towards the U.S. if anyone wants to come buy my bike and have their own rad journey, do let me know (and you're welcome to continue north with me too, if you're not an axe murderer or a weirdo!).

Tio Juan, if you end up in either Buenos Aires or in Rosario in the next two weeks, let me know! If you head towards Uruguay, depending on which way you go, check out Esteros del Ibera, some really neat swamp areas in the middle of the pampas. Very unexpected natural beauty and wildlife. May be a bit too north for you, though.

xo
Elisa
Hi Elisa,

It seems like I saw you yesterday and now you're in BA. You get around girl.

I'll be sure to check out Esteros del Ibarra. Probably not until next year on the way to Iguazu falls. Did a google search and it's up near Paraguay.

I'm heading over Cordoba-ish and through Rosario towards Uruguay in the next couple weeks. Will PM you when near Rosario.

Best luck selling a Honda. And anyone thinking of flying down and buying a nice little bike, those two Hondas look good. I'd buy one if I was in the market. That's a good deal for a lightly used Honda.

As far as Peru recommendations, my knowledge is weak. I went down the coastal route. Too much rain up in the mountains in February. Sorry. Others may have ideas.

Buena suerte mi sobrina del Sherpa,
Tio Juan
P.S. Your adoring fans are waiting for an update to your ride report.

JDowns screwed with this post 03-20-2014 at 05:19 PM
Old 03-20-2014, 07:28 PM   #3981
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

My office this evening:

Went down to the park past the fountains with Hektoglider and Thorne this evening. These photos are courtesy of Hektoglider since my camera doesn’t do well in low light:

headed down to the big Harley rally down in front of the Park Plaza Hotel:

plenty of bikes showed up, many with Chilean license plates that rode over the Andes for this big shindig. I liked the older bikes like this Indian:

or these:

plenty of good looking women bikers in attendance as well:

Ciudad de Mendoza is just allright:

Saludos,
Juan Mendocino
Old 03-20-2014, 07:46 PM   #3982
arnoldyz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
very nice . . .

South America and back on a 250 Super Sherpa Minimalist Adventure
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831076

Old 03-20-2014, 07:54 PM   #3983
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnoldyz View Post
very nice . . .

Hi arnoldyz,

Glad to have you along for the ride. Hop on that bike and get down here. You'll have a blast.

Saludos,
Tio Juan
Old 03-21-2014, 06:09 AM   #3984
olymax
stupid grin

Oddometer: 22
Hello Mr Downs

I'm only halfway though this thread but I had to jump ahead and chip in a few bucks to keep you adventuring. Work won't let me get away for so long so I can only look at the pics, read the story and dream but you are a first rate guy, a guy that makes this sad old world a little better every day. So please fill the tank and enjoy some pizza and beer on me

Rick Bradford
Old 03-21-2014, 11:11 AM   #3985
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
Day 3 of the 2nd annual South America Sherpa Rally and we are relaxing here in the nice warm weather.
John was saying his cam chain was noisy so we popped the valve cover off for a look. There was excess slack in the chain, which lead to further investigation.

The cam tensioner had some issues that needed a bit of fixing up.

A nice cafe lunch and then time to reassemble things.

We may as well shim up the valves to spec while we are in this deep, and I had shims with us, but we are short one .280 shim. The Honda part # 14965-KT7-013 will fit . JD is going on the hunt for a shim .

The cam tensioner assembly can be a difficult thing to get assembled correctly, but when it's back up & running his Sherpa will no longer have that noisy cam chain and the valves will be all good.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2014, 11:44 AM   #3986
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
Looks like we forgot about things being closed during the afternoon

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2014, 04:01 PM   #3987
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,535
Damn bean counters who thought it was worthwhile to save a tiny fraction of the bike's cost to substitute shims for real valve adjusters...
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 03-21-2014, 07:37 PM   #3988
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by olymax View Post
Hello Mr Downs

I'm only halfway though this thread but I had to jump ahead and chip in a few bucks to keep you adventuring. Work won't let me get away for so long so I can only look at the pics, read the story and dream but you are a first rate guy, a guy that makes this sad old world a little better every day. So please fill the tank and enjoy some pizza and beer on me

Rick Bradford
Hi Rick,

Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate the support and am glad you are riding along in spirit.

Olymax is now at the top of the Sherpa tank as a major sponsor:

Muchas gracias amigo,
Tio Juanito

JDowns screwed with this post 03-21-2014 at 07:49 PM
Old 03-21-2014, 07:40 PM   #3989
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

We had a Sherpa tech day here in Mendoza today. Adjusted the valves and fixed the cam chain tensioner with Hektogliders assistance.

The Sherpa is purring like a kitten once again. After three days of fun here in Mendoza it is off on some backroads as the three Sherpa amigos will see about getting past a rockslide on a mountain road that was blocked last week and some camping north of town.

Hektoglider tells me it is awesome.

Will report back what I find.

Saludos,
Juan Mecanico
Old 03-22-2014, 08:24 AM   #3990
adventurebound9517
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Glad to here things are gong well for you. You seem to have a habit of finding good people when in need, or maybe the world of JDowns is just full of good people.

Phillip
Closed Thread