Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2014, 01:53 PM   #4081
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
Minimalist all the way eh. Especially the maintenance schedule .
How's that glue holding out? When your cam chain saws a groove in the head.....

A while back you mentioned something about needing a hole in the head, or not needing one....
Heh heh. Sorry JD. I'll try not to bug you on the RR. We had some great laughs at the 2013 SA RALLY & look forward to seeing you at next years rally. It was good to spend some time and get to know you a bit better this time, and hey, maybe next year there might be more 250SS .
Maybe we will see you in Uruguay yet.....
( look after that bike, it's been good to you) K & R

Less is more
Old 03-29-2014, 02:01 PM   #4082
afewsketchymoments
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
"My main objective in posting these ride reports is to encourage my fellow riders young and old that nobody is going to make these adventures happen for you. You have to make it a priority in your life. It takes discipline and perseverance."

Well said mate. Enjoy life back in the U.S.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:21 PM   #4083
Hektoglider
One with Life

Did I say 2013? Meant '14. I was reading the paper this evening and although I fully don't know what's going on around me, or what's being said half the time, I think this article says the are making special zones at the intersection . When bikes filter up to the front, they have space there, that is prohibited from cars and pedestrian traffic.

Less is more
Old 03-29-2014, 04:27 PM   #4084
Travelbugblues
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
War and Peace: Tio Juan style

Tio Juan, War and Peace is one of the best books ever written (I'm on the last chapter right now!) so keep up the good work!! People need to hear it, and I love that you think of the cost of a new bash plate in terms of how many travel days are lost. I do the same thing.

As a fellow minimalist, I just did my calculations and this month (in Argentina), I came in under $700/month and did over 4,000km. The two months before (Chile and Arg) was under $900/month. WOOHOO for smaaaaall bikes and smart living.

Tom came in at $930 because he eats like a monster. But that's still an awesome figure. Those numbers include a service for the bikes, and a couple small parts for mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hi 2bold2getold,

I think it is important for folks to know that these trips cost 1000 to 1500 a month on a minimalist budget. Most people with bigger bikes spend a lot more. .... Aftermarket bash plate 250 bucks. Okay, that is 10 days of Argentina that I will miss forever. Give me the Super Sherpa stock bash plate please. It has served me well for 50,000 miles with only a few nasty dings.

Okay, this is turning into the equivalent of ADVrider War and Peace. I will shut up for now.

Saludos,
Tio Juanito
Travelbugblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:04 AM   #4085
RidingAgin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
+1 on summer reports

Amigo Tio Juanito,

Good to hear you come back to the states, as it may be the only way for me to catch up with you and buy you a burger at Chili's in Casa Grande. Well, it has been awhile since that dinner in AZ, but it was great to cross paths out of SA, considering I am usually as far as the NW you can get in the US.

I look forward to your rr and the other writers on this thread.

Hope to cross paths again someday!..

Su amigo,
Dennis
Old 03-30-2014, 12:31 PM   #4086
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
John, since yur coming back early:
http://moonshine-run.com/Moonshine/

Consider it, 4/12/14.

I'll be on the road in the next couple days, gonna take me over a week as there are many back roads between Kingman, AZ and Casey, IL.
Old 03-30-2014, 03:47 PM   #4087
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,573
My laptop decided to play an April fools joke on me a couple days early and wouldn´t turn on yestreday or today so I am limited to cybercafes until I figure something else out. I´ll post stories as I can and update with pics when I get home.

I love catching up on this ride report when I´ve been away for a couple days. You guys write some great stuff.

Argentina just scored a goal and the cybercafe erupted. I guess they aren´t televising the game so everyone came down here to watch on the internet. This place is quite festive.

edit: my laptop decided to start working again today. Not sure what the deal was.

Anyway Saturday I took off from Cordoba and headed down to check out la Cumbrecita and the other scenic roads and towns south. It was a beautiful day riding along flower lined backroads:

Winding past more lakes:

Stopped in the town of Alta Gracia to take a break at the lake in the town centre:

and head over to the clock tower where the tourist office was located:

Got a map of the Calamuchita valley area and headed west to the town of la Cumbrecita. The forty kilometre road out into the mountains was straight as an arrow for the first half of the way but had a great ending with nothing but curves up into the foothills:

before dropping down a cobblestone road down to the river:

where you park the bike in a parking lot reserved for tourists and do a walking tour of the Bavarian flavour town with a Swiss Chalet twist:

I mainly enjoyed the fine woodworking and gingerbread, but really this place is pretty touristy for most folks I would imagine. Worth a look I reckon, but once is enough. If I want to visit chalets, I would rather be cranking over the alps.

Next stop was Villa General Belgrano which also came with a Germanic flair in its municipal architecture:

Followed by Santa Rosa de Calamuchita which had a nice river running by. I stopped at the riverside park under the willows to watch the world go by:

before heading further south through the countryside. Had to stop and take a couple pics of this castle tourist stop. It was a reproduction of a Spanish castle complete with turreted entry gate and castle towers:

Then it was time to cut east towards Uruguay as the sun set the sky ablaze:

Finally arrived after dark in Villa Maria and searched for a cybercafe but everything was closed by the time I got there. So I found a cheap hotel and watched movies on cable instead.

more coming....

JDowns screwed with this post 03-31-2014 at 12:46 PM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 04:01 PM   #4088
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

The roads in eastern Argentina are straight to the horizon so I decided to hit the freeway and put the pedal to the metal so to speak. Long four lane cement divided highway, riding through miles and miles of corn and soybean fields as I passed livestock trucks loaded with cattle and hogs and grain hauling trucks. It could have been interstate 80 in Nebraska riding through the Platte River valley:

Huge thunderheads left and right as the highway miraculously missed them. The wind was whipping from the south as I headed east and at one point I took a break under an overpass out of the wind to let a thunderstorm dumping rain fly across the highway up ahead. It was just rain soaked pavement by the time I got there:

Finally made it to Rosario which is a huge town I only heard of when it was named the starting point of this years Dakar Rally. Nothing was open since it´s Sunday, so I kept riding down to the riverfront. This river is huge and nearly as wide as the Mississippi. There were kite surfers out catching huge air along with a lot of windsurfers:

I stopped for a bite to eat at a cantina on the waterfront and watched as the wind surfers and kite surfers headed for the shore as a monster grain hauling ship motored through:

I could see the only bridge for 100 miles across this wide river up to the north so I headed up and across:

I stopped at the top of the bridge and leaned against the concrete rail just out of traffic to get a couple of pics.

East of Rosario is 100 kilometres of wetlands with lots of beautiful birds and lilly pads off in the distance. Doesn't photograph well, so you'll have to come see for yourself:

Another hour and I was nearing the quaint town of Victoria shining in the afternoon sun off in the distance:

where I am typing this. Stopped at the tourist information office on central park and was sitting down looking at the map that the nice lady gave me that directed me to this cybercafe and a cheap hotel and who comes up behind me but Thorne and Hektoglider. Wow. I seem to keep running into these folks in the most unexpected places. Here's a pic they took of me as they were wondering who that could be on a Sherpa:

Anyway, headed down and had dinner with them before checking in to the Hotel American for 200 pesos (20.00) and coming up to type this up. I may hang out here for another day since it is relatively nice little town with a functioning computer.

I´ll catch up more mañana.

Saludos,
Tio Juanito

JDowns screwed with this post 03-31-2014 at 02:42 PM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:39 AM   #4089
Hektoglider
One with Life

There's some hobo - type guy here staying at the same hotel. I see he got his laptop going again, but the camera would not interface. Turns out it was the USB cable. My GPS cable worked for him. Maybe he will load some pics up. This is a cool town with hardly any tourists. Haven't seen any backpackers.

Looks like that all purpose glue stopped the leak on the valve cover

Less is more
Old 03-31-2014, 09:20 AM   #4090
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
My laptop decided to play an April fools joke on me a couple days early and wouldn´t turn on yestreday or today

edit: my laptop decided to start working again today. Not sure what the deal was.
John,
A similar thing happened to mine on my tour of Eastern Europe a couple of years ago. Plug:- http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...6#post17036006

I had packed it vertically in my pannier. I think the stylus in the hard drive got knocked out of position so it doesn't know where it is when it tries to start.
After coming up with that theory, I started to pack it flat in my topbox and it has behaved ever since.

Loving the RR by the way.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:18 PM   #4091
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Spent the day relaxing in Victoria Argentina. Really nice little town. Took a walking tour with Hektoglider and Thorne and had some lunch. On the way around the central park we saw a Yamaha that looked like it had been around:

With the temporary import sticker from Mexico on the windshield you know he probably isn’t from around here. Spotted a motorcycle jacket in a café across the street in a chair next to a Frenchman who has been on the road for a few months and is heading to Buenos Aires to ship his bike home next week:

It is really hard to speak French if you have been speaking Spanish for a few months. It comes out Sprenchish. Comment ça va? De dónde eres?

We were heading back to the hotel and a couple kids on a Honda were whipping up the street as Thorne gave them the universal wheelie mime- hands on imaginary handlebars with a jerk upwards. They didn’t disappoint:

The photo is courtesy of Hektoglider who has a hair trigger photo touch and a much better camera. My picture was of the front wheel and Hektos head.

more later….
Old 03-31-2014, 03:37 PM   #4092
Leo.G
Is still learning

Oddometer: 353
Hey!

I went home last weekend and came back by bike with the idea of inviting you to Rio Cuarto the national vacation day (this wednesday), to have some mate and chat a little bit...
But it seems that I arrived late.. jeje!

Nevermind, have fun on the rest of the journey.
Just one more thing, if you are in a big city such as Rosario, Paraná, Santa Fé, and not to talk about Buenos Aires. Don't go out at night with the bike, and if you are walking try not to be alone, even in the centre. Strange things are happening right now and there are guys willing to kill you just for $100 (Argentinian pesos) to buy drugs...

Take care man!
Hope you have a great time here!
Old 03-31-2014, 04:02 PM   #4093
JNXPILOT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Where do you think you'll be mid-May?

Hey John! Looks like I'll have some work in Denver mid-May. I think I'll ride my KLR out there, then scoot up to Cody to visit some friends, and then back to NC. Having studied the map, I see that Nebraska is between WY and NC. If you'll be home by then, I thought I'd stop by.

Paul
Old 03-31-2014, 04:44 PM   #4094
teh Chad
heading south

Oddometer: 11
John, not sure if you are coming through Buenos Aires or not, but if you are passing through this week let me know. It would be good to catch up. Sadly, my trip is coming to an end and I will be back in Calgary by Saturday afternoon.

Chad
Old 03-31-2014, 04:58 PM   #4095
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh Chad View Post
John, not sure if you are coming through Buenos Aires or not, but if you are passing through this week let me know. It would be good to catch up. Sadly, my trip is coming to an end and I will be back in Calgary by Saturday afternoon.

Chad
Chad!

It would be good to catch up with you but I will miss you by a few days. Won't be over to Buenos Aires until early next week to catch a flight home.

Dang shame. Would love to catch up. You took some great pics and vid. I guess I'll have to come up to Alberta if I want to see a slide show.

But hey, we will still have the memories of slamming shoulders on a truck tour amigo. Those will last forever.

Your ADVpal,
Tio Juanito