Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 05:06 PM   #4246
WOXOF
Just wander'n

Oddometer: 706
Good Find on the "Maps with Me Lite"

Found the manual for the app when I went looking for the differences between the Free version and the Pro version ($4.99).

http://mapswith.me/files/MapsWithMe%...uide%201.2.pdf
IBA #33096
Old 04-17-2014, 07:03 PM   #4247
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOXOF View Post
Good Find on the "Maps with Me Lite"

Found the manual for the app when I went looking for the differences between the Free version and the Pro version ($4.99).

http://mapswith.me/files/MapsWithMe%...uide%201.2.pdf
Hi WOXOF,

Thanks for the link. I think I will upgrade to the pro version when I get home just because I like to see these apps make money and stay in business.

Another thing that really comes in handy is a Spanish/English dictionary that works offline when you are away from wifi walking down the street and see a sign or word you don't know.

I downloaded this free app and it is quite good:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/free...321568349?mt=8

I imagine it would be better with a phone or iPod touch that you could whip out of your pocket, but it works quite well with the small iPad. It has phrases, verb conjugations and fun quizes to test your knowledge.

No way you can whip out a laptop walking down the street, but the iPad mini actually fits in my riding jacket pocket so could theoretically be carried around town or into a café when you want to look up something from a menu. We'll see.

JDowns screwed with this post 04-17-2014 at 08:59 PM
Old 04-17-2014, 10:21 PM   #4248
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
...If you type directly into the ADVrider text window, you will lose what you have written if the wifi goes out or some glitch happens. ...
Saludos,
Juan Computadora
Sr. Computadora, that sounds like an unfortunate side effect of using Apple. In Chrome, if you lose the wifi while writing a post, you won't know it until you hit submit, when after some period of trying, it will come up saying "can't connect to the internet..." (etc.) All I have to do is hit the back arrow and I'm right back at my post editing box with everything I've typed in still intact.

Still, safer to write in Notepad or equivalent and store on your local drive. What I've been doing for a while now is writing in gmail composition and copying over since you can keep it saved in your account which you can access from any internet device and doesn't require any local storage.

BTW, it's "cuy", instead of cuyo....
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)

ONandOFF screwed with this post 04-17-2014 at 10:30 PM
Old 04-18-2014, 01:51 AM   #4249
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Sr. Computadora, that sounds like an unfortunate side effect of using Apple. In Chrome, if you lose the wifi while writing a post, you won't know it until you hit submit, when after some period of trying, it will come up saying "can't connect to the internet..." (etc.) All I have to do is hit the back arrow and I'm right back at my post editing box with everything I've typed in still intact.

Still, safer to write in Notepad or equivalent and store on your local drive. What I've been doing for a while now is writing in gmail composition and copying over since you can keep it saved in your account which you can access from any internet device and doesn't require any local storage.

BTW, it's "cuy", instead of cuyo....
Thanks, I'll correct it.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:51 AM   #4250
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Riding a fast bike racing a kid in Mexico triple digit fast splitting lanes down the straight and narrow is one way to clear the mind of all thought but the here and now. You are in the moment. No past, no future just the now. Trouble is it’s dangerous as hell. If you are lucky, thoughts of self preservation bubble up and force their way through and you ease off the throttle to live another day.

The thing is, if you live to be an old man like me, you can lose yourself on a small bike as well. Just find a twisty mountain road on a sunny day. Leaning into the corners, favoring the right side to miss the always anticipated wide swinging truck around the blind lefts, your mind focused only on scanning ahead for obstacles. It turns out it doesn’t require riding fast and loose to bring a zen-like calm, focus and clarity to the cloudiest of minds.

It can be hard to talk for a while after a long day of riding in Latin America. Writing ride reports is one way to come back to earth. Riding and writing seem to be the only therapy I need in life. I count myself a lucky man.

After being a stranger in a strange land for several months I fit right in wherever I am.

Saludos,
Tio Juanito
Old 04-18-2014, 08:48 AM   #4251
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

People judge you by your appearance around the world. It's human nature. Nothing you can do to stop that. Don't believe me? Rent a Cadillac and wear expensive clothes and see how you are treated crossing the border into the U.S. Then grow your hair and beard out, wear a hand knit Tibetan sweater and sandals. For me it was the difference between being waved through and being strip searched.

It's the reason I wear my hair short and drive a nice truck. You can still be a free spirit inside no matter what you look like on the surface. It's why I prefer riding a small unobtrusive bike in Latin America and blending in with the locals. It puts people at ease and is less threatening. That along with an easy smile and polite manners will serve you well wherever you travel in the world.

I used to try and explain to young kids in the construction trade that having neck tatoos, wooden plugs in their ear lobes and studs through their nose was going to cut their earning power down by ten bucks an hour or so and limit their employment options in the future. Much the same as getting married and having kids out of high school would limit their travel options for a couple decades. Hopefully some young person reading this will stop to think for a moment. Ride reports seem to be a more effective means of communication than an old man telling a young person face to face what he has noticed in life.

The secret to my happiness it turns out is to go with the flow externally while internally swimming upstream against the current of society's expectations that don't ring true for me.

more later....

JDowns screwed with this post 04-18-2014 at 10:24 AM
Old 04-18-2014, 10:16 AM   #4252
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,372
Wise words from an experienced man.

Riding is the best therapy in my experience. I believe if you live through 45 years of fast riding, it's because you've been been fully concentrating on the current horizon, not worrying nor daydreaming.

No doubt about judging books by covers. I think perhaps the attitude from which the appearance develops is the true base limiting factor for earning potential, the appearance merely confirming.

Peace
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 04-18-2014, 11:52 AM   #4253
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!

Oddometer: 473
Quote:
People judge you by your appearance around the world. It's human nature. Nothing you can do to stop that. Don't believe me? Rent a Cadillac and wear expensive clothes and see how you are treated crossing the border into the U.S. Then grow your hair and beard out, wear a hand knit Tibetan sweater and sandals. For me it was the difference between being waved through and being strip searched.

It's the reason I wear my hair short and drive a nice truck. You can still be a free spirit inside no matter what you look like on the surface. It's why I prefer riding a small unobtrusive bike in Latin America and blending in with the locals. It puts people at ease and is less threatening. That along with an easy smile and polite manners will serve you well wherever you travel in the world.

I used to try and explain to young kids in the construction trade that having neck tatoos, wooden plugs in their ear lobes and studs through their nose was going to cut their earning power down by ten bucks an hour or so and limit their employment options in the future. Much the same as getting married and having kids out of high school would limit their travel options for a couple decades. Hopefully some young person reading this will stop to think for a moment. Ride reports seem to be a more effective means of communication than an old man telling a young person face to face what he has noticed in life.

The secret to my happiness it turns out is to go with the flow externally while internally swimming upstream against the current of society's expectations that don't ring true for me.

more later....
+1...unfortunately, the people who need to see this great insight are probably not on this forum.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:24 PM   #4254
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by black top bob View Post
I just started reading it. Another top shelf effort, by another intrepid soul. Great introduction. Heart felt.
Same here, another subscription on my long list. Thanks for the link, John.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:03 PM   #4255
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
South America and back on a 250 Super Sherpa Minimalist Adventure

Quote:
Riding a fast bike racing a kid in Mexico triple digit fast splitting lanes down the straight and narrow is one way to clear the mind of all thought but the here and now. You are in the moment. No past, no future just the now. Trouble is it’s dangerous as hell. If you are lucky, thoughts of self preservation bubble up and force their way through and you ease off the throttle to live another day.

The thing is, if you live to be an old man like me, you can lose yourself on a small bike as well.

After being a stranger in a strange land for several months I fit right in wherever I am.

Saludos,
Tio Juanito
I thought I detected some static coming from over here, on my RR.
Are you running a resistor spark plug?
Just messing with you JD. I see you diverted a pile of traffic over to our "trip"
I am enjoying your take on things.

There's a huge canyon in Brazil we need to go check out. It's only 800 km from where your Sherpa is parked. I'll try and find the aerial YouTube link for it. Amazing stuff,
There's a few pics in the " I liked this road thread" in Pics Pics Pics
Old 04-18-2014, 01:28 PM   #4256
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Hey, John, you still in Arizona?
Old 04-18-2014, 01:46 PM   #4257
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektoglider View Post
I thought I detected some static coming from over here, on my RR.
Are you running a resistor spark plug?
Just messing with you JD. I see you diverted a pile of traffic over to our "trip"
I am enjoying your take on things.

There's a huge canyon in Brazil we need to go check out. It's only 800 km from where your Sherpa is parked. I'll try and find the aerial YouTube link for it. Amazing stuff,
There's a few pics in the " I liked this road thread" in Pics Pics Pics
Funny you should mention that. When I was dropping the Sherpa off in Uruguay we headed downtown for pizza where we met Canario's riding buddy who was showing me pics on his phone of a killer canyon in Brazil that he has his sights set on. Nothing but switchbacks dropping into the abyss. Looked good to me.

The ten year Brazil visa costs $300.00 for us Americans so I want to spend some time there if I pay that much dinero. I met some mighty nice Brazilians on the road this year as did you and Thorne. Might have to go check it out.

The reason so many people are reading your ride report is because it is a really good ***** effort. I am enjoying it thoroughly.

See you next year.

Your Sherpa pal,
John
Old 04-18-2014, 01:51 PM   #4258
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by George 99 View Post
Hey, John, you still in Arizona?
Hi George,

Yes I am. Won't be heading to Nebraska until next week sometime.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:45 PM   #4259
riverman
Life is great !

Oddometer: 152
Thanks for the detail on the ipad John. For a newbie to that equipment you sure seem to be catching on fast! Keep us informed please as you make new discoveries and in-roads to using the mini-ipad.

'11 WR250R
'13 Tiger 800XC
Old 04-19-2014, 08:14 PM   #4260
SteverinoB
EstebanarinoB

Oddometer: 554
Thumb Thanks

Thanks for the wise words and the link and the Hektoglider's RR ... Value Plus!

R90...CT90...Wee...DR650
Closed Thread