User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2014, 12:19 PM   #4321
ErikMotoMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 664
Dude - you rock!

Anytime you're in the LA area - look me up. Food, bike fixin', a place to rest up - no problemo !

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=964253
ErikMotoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 01:20 AM   #4322
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomski74 View Post
Well, you have almost the whole week. Slap is 16th-18th, but some of us will be there on Thursday morning - May 15th. Sounds like you have plenty of time to come down and share your stories with us.
Yanush says "Hi!"

Hope to see you soon Mr. Nebraska John!

Here's a link to slap: 10th Annual Squeal Like a Pig Rally
Wow! It seems like yesterday when I was at The Slap rally. I can't miss That. Meeting and riding with fellow ADVriders seems to be my new mission in life. Count me in. I'll figure out a way to make it to Arkansas next week.

I better get busy. I have a million things to do around the house. The water meter in the basement froze and cracked while I was gone so when I turned the water on today when I got in from Arizona there was a geyser in the basement. No indoor plumbing until Monday when the city guys can replace it means that it is a perfect time to go to South Dakota for a weekend camp out with the Dakota ADV contingent.

I'll mow the lawn, load up my tools to work in Texas and head down to Arkansas by Friday. See you at Slap. Tell them I'm coming and will pay the entrance fee when I get there since it's kind of late to be mailing it in.

Thanks for reminding me. If it wasn't for my pals on ADV Telling where to go and what to see my life would be pretty dull.

Gracias amigo,
Tio Juanito
Old 05-10-2014, 01:31 AM   #4323
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikMotoMan View Post
Anytime you're in the LA area - look me up. Food, bike fixin', a place to rest up - no problemo !
Hi ErikMotoMan,

Will do. Thanks for the kind offer. Nice to have you along for the ride.

Saludos,
Tio Juan
Old 05-10-2014, 08:10 AM   #4324
Animal Instinct
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Wow! It seems like yesterday when I was at The Slap rally. I can't miss That. Meeting and riding with fellow ADVriders seems to be my new mission in life. Count me in. I'll figure out a way to make it to Arkansas next week.

I better get busy. I have a million things to do around the house. The water meter in the basement froze and cracked while I was gone so when I turned the water on today when I got in from Arizona there was a geyser in the basement. No indoor plumbing until Monday when the city guys can replace it means that it is a perfect time to go to South Dakota for a weekend camp out with the Dakota ADV contingent.

I'll mow the lawn, load up my tools to work in Texas and head down to Arkansas by Friday. See you at Slap. Tell them I'm coming and will pay the entrance fee when I get there since it's kind of late to be mailing it in.

Thanks for reminding me. If it wasn't for my pals on ADV Telling where to go and what to see my life would be pretty dull.

Gracias amigo,
Tio Juanito
Hey John,

Sorry about the geyser. Seems like there's always a little something to get the juices flowing upon arrival.

Ours was the diametric opposite.

When we returned from "West of the Pecos" last Sunday, the old gal that feeds our critters while we're gone did not treat the old bathing tub / bowl washing area with the required respect demanded of it. It stops up periodically but responds good to a dosing of Drano.

Not this time. LA plunged it and got it draining -- out onto the floor and into the adjacent bathroom.

She's the plumber of the family, I'm the plumber's helper. Well, just yesterday she won the week-long struggle and it drains better than it has in 17 years. It was an epic battle with lots and lots of profanity.

A few minutes later, she got flowers from our middle son as a finisher's medal.

A triumphant Sancho Panza with happy kitty face.

You're not alone. I think it is kind of a ticket for admission for getting out on the road less traveled. We'll pay it every time with pleasure.

May I have another......
Old 05-10-2014, 08:12 AM   #4325
donniemac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Living life like ART!

So great to see you and The Sherpa out there on the open roads of South America! That bike has been good to you! I love reading about all of the little and big things that you see and hear. Your appreciation for the people and their cultures is refreshing to read about! Keep it up John...you live your life like ART!
donniemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:42 AM   #4326
calimusjohn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Smile

[QUOTE=Animal Instinct;24133219],

QUOTE]
wow! You have a partner who hauls your essentials while you ride solo - only gives you "The Look" when you lead her down a path less traveled and now she does plumbing! What a lass. John Too
calimusjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:52 AM   #4327
SavannahCapt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 657
[QUOTE=calimusjohn;24133400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal Instinct View Post

QUOTE]
wow! You have a partner who hauls your essentials while you ride solo - only gives you "The Look" when you lead her down a path less traveled and now she does plumbing! What a lass. John Too
It took a lot of guts to go into that room to take a picture while she had a hammer in her hand.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:50 AM   #4328
Animal Instinct
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
That a hammer

was necessary for a plumbing job speaks volumes, doesn't it?

Sorry for the hijack, JDowns. We were just sending positive karma at your gusher.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:57 PM   #4329
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Sleddog mentioned there was a moto camp out up in South Dakota this weekend so I headed up that way. Took the long way down the back roads. Stopped to check out this abandoned one room schoolhouse:

I took a detour over north of Winner to take some pics of my Great Grandparents homestead mainly for my family who may not get out to the Dakotas anytime soon. The main farmhouse is long abandoned but still standing:

The sun porch has seen better days, but it is fun to imagine what the place was like a hundred years ago:

Looking out on the fields that stretch off in the distance that my great grandfather would have plowed with a team.

Hard to imagine what it was like. Although I am getting a taste of it this weekend now that I'm back in Bassett with no electricity or running water until the power company turns the electricity on tomorrow and I fix the broken water meter. I'm typing this on an iPad in front of the glow of the wood stove. It's kinda third world.

Nothing makes you appreciate the ephemeral nature of life like seeing your name on a tombstone:

Interesting side note, the Irish Catholic Downs side of the family was buried in a segregated Catholic section of the cemetery while the Protestant side of the family was buried a few hundred yards away in the Protestant section.

I'm thinking my grandmother married a Catholic just to spite her parents, but that's just idle speculation based on my inherited personality.

Finally made it over to the camp out near historic Fort Randall on the banks of the Missouri River. Stopped at the overlook:

Had to get a pic of the old stone church which is pretty much all that's left of the fort:

Quite a nice turnout at the campout. That's Sleddog in the black shirt in the center along with folks from Minnesota, South Dakota and Nebraska with too many names to remember:

It turned out to be a joint BMW club annual rally with twenty folks or so showing up. Since the campground was below Randall dam I think it's called the Dam Mother's Day Rally or somesuch. Anyway, it was fun meeting Sleddog and the brats and beans dinner was great.

More later.....

JDowns screwed with this post 05-11-2014 at 11:04 PM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 12:08 AM   #4330
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal Instinct View Post
was necessary for a plumbing job speaks volumes, doesn't it?

Sorry for the hijack, JDowns. We were just sending positive karma at your gusher.
Not really a hijack if you ask me. Your wife rides a Sherpa and does plumbing for fun. Pretty much the theme of my life, so I say it fits right in.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:57 AM   #4331
Sleddog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
John, . Following your ride reports for so long, it seems we've been friends for a long time, It was fun to finally meet you in person and listening to your stories! Thanks for stopping by.

See that smile.........

I believe he's next in line for one of these

Sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:28 AM   #4332
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Ya don't have to go to South America to have fun in the hinterlands. Good on ya for staying on the move, John.

No pics of your ride?
Old 05-16-2014, 07:21 AM   #4333
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

It looks like my bike has a new girlfriend down in South America:

Ramon forwarded this cute pic that his brother sent him from Uruguay of his kitty cat snuggling on the rain fly on top of the Sherpa. Nice to see the bike has company while it waits patiently for my return.

It appears that Super Sherpas are babe magnets. Who knew?

I just arrived at the S.L.A.P. ADV Rally down in Arkansas. More pictures to follow if the slow wifi at the Oark Cafe allows......
Old 05-16-2014, 07:56 AM   #4334
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Made it to Arkansas this morning. Took off from Nebrska late yesterday and drove through the moonlit night. Stopped for an hour nap in Oklahoma. Arrived just as folks were getting up:

Some nice bikes:

Camp mascots:

B.Y.O.B.

It looks like Rick has all the bases covered in his minimalist gypsy wagon. Two kickass bikes. Check. One cot. Check. A beer cooler. Check. What else do you need for a weekend of fun in the Ozarks?

More later........
Old 05-16-2014, 12:34 PM   #4335
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

The three amigas down here in Arkansas:

And off they go to hit some trails:

More from the Slap rally later....