Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2014, 03:48 PM   #4366
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 1,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
He is going to have to change the name of this Thread now! I don't think that 990 Adventure will qualify as a minimalist moto!
Maybe not, but stealing other folks bikes for a spin is!
Old 05-29-2014, 06:11 PM   #4367
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
He is going to have to change the name of this Thread now! I don't think that 990 Adventure will qualify as a minimalist moto!
Hi Donnie,

You got me there. Nothing will put a smile on your face like a 990 Adventure on the Texas gravel, dirt and paved backroads. That thing will take anything you throw at it.

My thanks to bigdon for letting me take it for a spin today. I can see why you chose it as a two-up Latin American cruiser. Have been enjoying your ride report. Keep up the good work.

Saludos,
Juan Naranjo
Old 06-08-2014, 11:40 AM   #4368
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Took a break from painting and setting tile to go camping up in Arkansas this weekend.

Here are my partners in crime, bigdon on the 990 Adventure, olebuddy on his DR650 and LD on his sweet Triumph Tiger standing in front of the Roadhouse Cafe in Paris Texas at breakfast:

I was riding bigdon’s KLR. Didn’t stop to take many pictures this weekend. Heading up into Oklahoma on backroads we stopped for lunch at the Hateful Hussy Diner in Talihina. Pretty good eats if you’re in the area:

Rode up the Talimena scenic byway to the Queen Talimina Lodge campground and set up our tents before heading down some nice Arkansas gravel county roads to Mena. Here is LD crossing an old country bridge on the way:

Ate dinner in Mena at the Branding Iron Restaurant and wound our way back up the mountain to camp. They had a neat little miniature train that was taking campers around the campground:

Woke up this morning to a hellacious thunderstorm. The rain was coming down in buckets and my tent was floating in 2 inches of water, so I had to pull the pegs and drag it over to the pavement where my bike was parked to get it on dry land. There was so much lightning that I could read my non-illuminated watch. Without my glasses I couldn’t tell if it was 12:15 or 3 AM. Fortunately it was 3 and after another couple hours of sleep I got up and went over under the covered awning at the camp bathrooms and hung out playing Sudoku on my iPad until it was time to pack up in the rain.

Then it was torrential rain riding back through Arkansas and Oklahoma today until we finally hit dry pavement and sunshine across the Red River into Texas. It was a fun weekend though. Especially during the good weather yesterday.

Remodeling ADVrider’s houses certainly has its benefits.

more later…..
Old 06-09-2014, 09:26 AM   #4369
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,412
Thank goodness John was uninjured !

My Wife would never forgive me if I let something happen to John, before the Kitchen is finished

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:19 PM   #4370
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdon View Post
Thank goodness John was uninjured !

My Wife would never forgive me if I let something happen to John, before the Kitchen is finished
Lol sounds like my wife
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:06 PM   #4371
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

The rest of the story:

Because it rained so hard my tent was standing in water yesterday morning so I pulled the tent pegs and moved it to the pavement. Of course after I got up and went up to the shower room, a big wind came up and blew the unpegged tent over. Being a minimalist means that there's nothing in your tent to hold it down. A sleeping bag, pad and pair of socks was my only luggage this weekend. No match as ballast against a 40 mph sidewind.

bigdon took a lot of fine photographs this weekend. My tent collapsed like a blue slug yesterday morning may have been the best. Pretty funny.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:02 PM   #4372
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Puke

Sounds a treat, John. I luv Men's and surrounds. Always camp at the private campground at the east end of the Talimena Trail.

Having a ball in Northern India, but not much access to WiFi.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:29 AM   #4373
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,412
Saturday was a lovely day ! John is a lot of fun to ride with.

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 03:09 PM   #4374
Eagletalon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
John any remodeling pics? I'm one of the ones that likes to see some pre and post pictures!!!

Later
John
Eagletalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:18 PM   #4375
ElleDubs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
John,

Thank-you for sharing your adventures, photos and philosophy. You have taken me on a journey and kept me thoroughly entertained while stuck at home healing 4 broken ribs. I wish you many more adventures to come.
ElleDubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:26 PM   #4376
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleDubs View Post
John,

Thank-you for sharing your adventures, photos and philosophy. You have taken me on a journey and kept me thoroughly entertained while stuck at home healing 4 broken ribs. I wish you many more adventures to come.
Hi ElleDubs,

It is my pleasure and duty to keep you entertained while your ribs heal. Broken ribs are no fun. Especially when your buddies keep cracking jokes and making you laugh.

Time heals all. Here's to more fun riding in the future.

Cheers,
Juan Sin Costillas Rotas
Old 06-10-2014, 07:30 PM   #4377
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagletalon View Post
John any remodeling pics? I'm one of the ones that likes to see some pre and post pictures!!!

Later
John
Hi Eagletalon,

I'm trying to keep this ride report focused on riding motorcycles this summer while I work to save up some travel money for my return to South America in a few months.

I might throw in a remodelling pic or two. Haven't taken any yet.

Saludos,
Juan Contratista
Old 06-12-2014, 12:53 PM   #4378
Travelbugblues
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Good to see you're still able to have some fun while working!! I'm now in Colombia and adore it! So hard to leave this awesome country, but Panama awaits!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Travelbugblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 05:59 PM   #4379
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelbugblues View Post
Good to see you're still able to have some fun while working!! I'm now in Colombia and adore it! So hard to leave this awesome country, but Panama awaits!

Mi sobrina famosa,

So good to hear from you!

I just got caught up on your ride report and see you have to fly the mighty Honda to Panama since northbound sailboats aren't able to take motos as of this month. Ouch!

Ah well, glad to see you are doing well. I sent a paypal donation to help your moto travel finances. Funny how 20 bucks is nothing when you're home working in Norteamerica, but it means the world when you're traveling on a shoestring and far from home.

As an aside I would encourage anyone who enjoys reading about big fun on small bikes in Latin America to check out:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...29097&page=17#

And maybe paypal a few bucks for gas to my intrepid ADVniece at:

elisarw@gmail.com

She's right up there with Becktastic as a favorite ADV niece I've met on the way to South America.

Saludos,
Tio Juanito

JDowns screwed with this post 06-12-2014 at 08:10 PM
JDowns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:10 AM   #4380
Travelbugblues
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Hola Tio Juan!

Thanks so much! That's so nice of you. Good timing too, as I just spent a freaking fortune to airfreight my bike from Medellin to Panama. Sailboats can no longer take motorbikes from Colombia into panama. I know there are other options, but can't wait around too much longer. Hoping to be home by early Sept. Then might turn around and ride back to Colombia :) Best country ever!

Time to go watch the Colombia/Greece game- the streets of Medellin are going crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Mi sobrina famosa,

So good to hear from you!

I just got caught up on your ride report and see you have to fly the mighty Honda to Panama since northbound sailboats aren't able to take motos as of this month. Ouch!

Ah well, glad to see you are doing well. I sent a paypal donation to help your moto travel finances. Funny how 20 bucks is nothing when you're home working in Norteamerica, but it means the world when you're traveling on a shoestring and far from home.

As an aside I would encourage anyone who enjoys reading about big fun on small bikes in Latin America to check out:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...29097&page=17#

And maybe paypal a few bucks for gas to my intrepid ADVniece at:

elisarw@gmail.com

She's right up there with Becktastic as a favorite ADV niece I've met on the way to South America.

Saludos,
Tio Juanito

Travelbugblues is offline   Reply With Quote