Oddometer: 608
Would like a KLX to go with Versys

More fun being upright
kwakbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:19 AM   #4382
inroads
Wimberley,Texas

Oddometer: 204
Yea,I had the WR250R and the KLX 250S.I was partial to the KLX because it is like the Rodney Dangerfield of water cooled small dual sports.I had a 3.7 gallon Acerbis which almost doubled the stock range.Unlike the WR it is designed to run on 87 octane which is a big Plus.It only needed a $15 smaller sprocket to get right in the tight stuff.Basically it had just as much snap down low and in the middle where you spend most of your time and the chassis integrity was top notch for sub-expert's like myself.the $1200-$1500 price difference was also very compelling.I currently have many dual sport bikes but I always gravitate back to the small bikes because it rekindles my youthful days and when the world was a kinder,gentler,simpler place.Small bikes put you in serving mentality instead of a conquering one and that serves you well in the 3rd world.
I am planning my micro assault on the Great Road to the Southern Americas come this fall on my humble XT 225 and have been watching from the sidelines too long.It's awesome rides and colorful writing that have kept in the hunt.
Somewhere down that road is where it's at! Alway's been that way.
Thanks John for your inspirational reports.Give me a shout if you get down to the Hill Country west of Austin or I'll see ya down South.

inroads screwed with this post 06-16-2014 at 06:24 AM
inroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 05:38 AM   #4383
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post

I rode this KLX250S:

The KLX is a smooth cruiser. I really like it. After breakfast we headed back on dirt, gravel and paved back roads.

I was interested to see what used KLX250s bikes sell for so checked:

But I 'm seriously thinking of selling my XR250 and getting a KLX250S for riding around back here in the states after riding one today. It's a snappy little number.

Father's Day meant bigdon had to fire up the Honda 50 for the grand kids coming over later for BBQ supper. Here he is ripping it up on the race track in the front yard at Casa bigdon:

More later.....

I sold four of my five motos when I sold my house and moved to the road/Mexico. The four sold were a Goldwing, KLR650, R1100GS, and a KLX250S. By far I miss the KLX the most! I would not hesitate to use that moto RTW, one up and traveling light!

dwj - Donnie screwed with this post 06-22-2014 at 08:11 AM
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:35 PM   #4384
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post

I sold four of my five motos when I sold my house and moved to the road/Mexico. The four sold were a Goldwing, KLR650, R1100GS, and a KLX250S. By far I miss the KLX the most! I would not hesitate to use that moto RTW, one up and traveling light!
Hi Donnie,

I'm with you and inroads. That KLX250S is one fun bike!

I was following bigdon this weekend down random East Texas country backroads where you come around a corner and the road turns to rutted dirt or sketchy gravel marbles and the KLX handled it all. Plus, we hopped on the freeway and cruised at 75 mph for a while which is something a Super Sherpa is only capable of heading downhill out of the Andes with a tailwind.

Of course bigdon's 990 Adventure has a huge grin factor. And if I was rich and handsome it would be a fun bike to own. But for now, little 250 Kawasaki dual sport bikes are plenty of fun. Espcially for riding the mountain backroads less travelled in South America. They are economical and can take a pounding. Pulled into the gas station after 40 miles and filled up the KLX. Point five two gallons. Those are numbers that come in handy in a country like Uruguay where gas is 7.50/gal.

Saludos,
Juan Tejas

JDowns screwed with this post 06-22-2014 at 02:54 PM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:51 PM   #4385
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by inroads View Post
I currently have many dual sport bikes but I always gravitate back to the small bikes because it rekindles my youthful days and when the world was a kinder,gentler,simpler place. Small bikes put you in serving mentality instead of a conquering one and that serves you well in the 3rd world.
It would be all too easy to pass over the wealth of content bound up in those few words. For me they fairly well encompass the mentality of riding Latin America.

Thank you for taking the time.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:31 AM   #4386
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,203
Quote:
Since I started writing Super Sherpa ride reports, the price has gone up. I doubt if there is any connection, but dang, people are asking 2500-3500 bucks for 14 year old Sherpas. That's more than I paid for mine 7 years ago when it was only five years old. A five year old KLX250S sells for about the same. And they are also usually low mileage wife bikes. I think it would make a nice North American bike. The Sherpa is still hands down my favorite third world bike since it is air cooled, can take a bigger gas tank and has a lower compression ratio for low grade gas. But I 'm seriously thinking of selling my XR250 and getting a KLX250S for riding around back here in the states after riding one today. It's a snappy little number.
DR350's can still be had under $2000 in good shape if you shop around. They're simple little air cooled machines with a bit more torque and a re-surging aftermarket (at least in the vendors section here on ADV Rider). Acerbis still makes a big tank for them but a little handiness with a vise and a grinder will allow the fitment of the xr650 6 gallon tank to fit. I paid $1500 for mine with 1600 miles on it before adding the Acerbis tank.
veriest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 04:43 PM   #4387
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by veriest1 View Post
DR350's can still be had under $2000 in good shape if you shop around. They're simple little air cooled machines with a bit more torque and a re-surging aftermarket (at least in the vendors section here on ADV Rider). Acerbis still makes a big tank for them but a little handiness with a vise and a grinder will allow the fitment of the xr650 6 gallon tank to fit. I paid $1500 for mine with 1600 miles on it before adding the Acerbis tank.
Yes, the DR350 is a sweet, solid, simple bike. I look forward to seeing yours when I get down that way after I'm finished here at bigdon's.

Your ADVpal,
Juan Contratista
Old 06-28-2014, 07:50 AM   #4388
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Quote:
Yes, the DR350 is a sweet, solid, simple bike. I look forward to seeing yours when I get down that way after I'm finished here at bigdon's.

Your ADVpal,
Juan Contratista
Best part is... They're cheap!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
Old 07-04-2014, 06:49 PM   #4389
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Still enjoying Texas sunrises out here in ranch country:

Here is my lounge chair facing east under the fifth wheel trailer That is currently home:

You may notice I picked up a red KLX250S yesterday. What can I say? The Kawasaki goddess was in my favor. I was checking bikefinds.com and saw an ad for this bike from down the road seven miles out here in the sticks of East Texas. What are the chances?

So like any responsible ADVrider I had to check it out. Bigdon was kind enough to drive me over. The ad said 2600 which was quickly down to 2250.00. Hmmmm. Now mind you, bigdonwife had given me an envelope with thirty C-notes earlier in the day for labor and materials over the past three weeks. What's a poor person to do?

I know what I did.

After riding bigdonwife's KLX for the past month, I am a fan. Basically a Super Sherpa on steroids. What's more, bigdon and wife are heading to Colorado next week, so after setting tile in the kitchen, I 'll saddle up the KLX and meet them in Buena Vista. Should be fun.

I'll report back more minimalist postcards from the Rockies.

This ride report will return to South America in the fall. In the meantime here's to a Happy 4th to all.

Saludos,
Juan Doscincuenta

JDowns screwed with this post 07-04-2014 at 07:07 PM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:54 PM   #4390
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Those are nice! Good price too. I'd have done the same.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
Old 07-04-2014, 10:23 PM   #4391
ratbikemike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
New Bike !!

Congrats on the nice ride !!! ratbikemike
ratbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 01:13 AM   #4392
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,697
Quote:

You may notice I picked up a red KLX250S yesterday. What can I say? The Kawasaki goddess was in my favor. I was checking bikefinds.com and saw an ad for this bike from down the road seven miles out here in the sticks of East Texas. What are the chances?
Good move! That's a sister bike to my friend's at work. After he rejetted it was beating my WRR. So I traded the WRR.

Enjoy Colorado Amigo.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 01:35 PM   #4393
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 578
Wait a tic

Colorado is the wrong way to the east coast.
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:10 PM   #4394
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,203
Quote:
Still enjoying Texas sunrises out here in ranch country:

Here is my lounge chair facing east under the fifth wheel trailer That is currently home:

After riding bigdonwife's KLX for the past month, I am a fan. Basically a Super Sherpa on steroids. What's more, bigdon and wife are heading to Colorado next week, so after setting tile in the kitchen, I 'll saddle up the KLX and meet them in Buena Vista. Should be fun.

I'll report back more minimalist postcards from the Rockies.

This ride report will return to South America in the fall. In the meantime here's to a Happy 4th to all.

Saludos,
Juan Doscincuenta

Fine moto!
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:58 PM   #4395
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk62cj5 View Post
Wait a tic

Colorado is the wrong way to the east coast.
Good point. I never know where this ride report is going.

Ah yes, but being a moto vagabond contractor working for ADVriders means Rocky Mountain high in the middle of July is a nice break in between remodeling the kitchen and the bathroom.

Mosquito pass is calling.

Saludos,
Juan Montañas de Piedra