Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2014, 08:58 PM   #4396
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk62cj5 View Post
Wait a tic

Colorado is the wrong way to the east coast.
Good point. I never know where this ride report is going.

Ah yes, but being a moto vagabond contractor working for ADVriders means Rocky Mountain high in the middle of July is a nice break in between remodeling the kitchen and the bathroom.

Mosquito pass is calling.

Saludos,
Juan Montañas de Piedra
Old 07-05-2014, 10:30 PM   #4397
marbec1a
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Congratulations on the new KLX. I bought mine new in 09 and it has been great, have fun with your new ride.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:10 AM   #4398
inroads
Wimberley,Texas

Oddometer: 198
Must say I like that red over my green KLX.She is light and spunky.
The thing I like is the integrity and solid feedback from the front end and brakes.
Happily runs on low octane too.If you ride far on that seat keep in mind Airhawk Seats and they have a dual sport version out now.Doubles as a pillow in your tent too.
I actually like that it has a carb and the perimeter frame means easy over the top carb access.
Man there is just something nice about a modern small dual sport especially in the handling department.I also think the ergos are right on with the KLX and high stance front end and USD forks.Gives you something to get behind on the hi way.Anyhow Yes,Congradulations.Hope she doesn't spoil you!
inroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:38 AM   #4399
black top bob
gray goat

Oddometer: 25
My 06 is perfect for me. It is easy to balance, tractors through anything and motors down the twisties. The interstates get a bit scary though. But at my age it is light enough for me to lift without having to ask for help. Very handy since i'm a klutz.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:46 PM   #4400
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbec1a View Post
Congratulations on the new KLX. I bought mine new in 09 and it has been great, have fun with your new ride.
Thanks marbec1a,

I'll be sure to post pics of KLX250S action next week. Glad to have you along for the ride!
Old 07-07-2014, 08:35 PM   #4401
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inroads View Post
Must say I like that red over my green KLX.She is light and spunky.
The thing I like is the integrity and solid feedback from the front end and brakes.
Happily runs on low octane too.If you ride far on that seat keep in mind Airhawk Seats and they have a dual sport version out now.Doubles as a pillow in your tent too.
I actually like that it has a carb and the perimeter frame means easy over the top carb access.
Man there is just something nice about a modern small dual sport especially in the handling department.I also think the ergos are right on with the KLX and high stance front end and USD forks.Gives you something to get behind on the hi way.Anyhow Yes,Congradulations.Hope she doesn't spoil you!
Hi inroads,

Thanks amigo. Airhawk pillow. You sir are a minimalist camper I would enjoy meeting. I reckon we have a lot in common. Hope to see you down the road someday.

I'm all in on the KLX250S. No bike is perfect, but it's a snappy little number. And yes, it has nice suspension and brakes. Of course still do love my Sherpa waiting patiently for me down in South America. I will ride the wheels off that bike.

Your ADVpal,
Juan Kawasaki

JDowns screwed with this post 07-07-2014 at 08:50 PM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:48 PM   #4402
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by black top bob View Post
My 06 is perfect for me. It is easy to balance, tractors through anything and motors down the twisties. The interstates get a bit scary though. But at my age it is light enough for me to lift without having to ask for help. Very handy since i'm a klutz.
Hi black top bob,

Easy to pick up is a big plus the older I get. By the time I'm 90 I'll be putting a chainsaw motor on a mountain bike. In the meantime the KLX will work.

Saludos,
Juan Viejo Hombre
Old 07-08-2014, 03:53 AM   #4403
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
... I'm all in on the KLX250S. No bike is perfect, but it's a snappy little number. And yes, it has nice suspension and brakes. Of course still do love my Sherpa waiting patiently for me down in South America. I will ride the wheels off that bike.

Your ADVpal,
Juan Kawasaki
Beat you to it, JD - bought an '06 Greenie two months ago (rode it up to SLAP -> 799mi Maiden Voyage. Thanks for guarding the kegs ) and it's all your fault that there were no Sherpas available. But cereally, if you're gonna be in CenTex for RTB-V (24-26Oct) it would be my pleasure to act as your (roving) Tent Space host for the event though a tent won't be needed. If you're already gonna be waaay down South, you'll probably just have to settle for some gas and pizza, or empanadas, or repair parts, or whatever.

And when you have nothing else to do, please feel free to treat us to more written dreams, or not, as suits you at the moment.

L'Chaim!

garfey screwed with this post 07-12-2014 at 08:50 PM
garfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:51 PM   #4404
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfey View Post
Beat you to it, JD - bought an '06 Greenie two months ago (rode it up to SLAP -> 799mi Maiden Voyage. Thanks for guarding the kegs ) and it's all your fault that there were no Sherpas available. But cereally, if you're gonna be in CenTex for RTB-V (24-26Oct) it would be my pleasure to act as your (roving) Tent Space host for the event though a tent won't be needed. If you're already gonna be waaay down South, you'll probably just have to settle for some gas and pizza, or empanadas, or repair parts, or whatever.

And when you have nothing else to do, please feel free to treat us to more written dreams, or not, as suits you at the moment.

L'Chaim!
Garfey!

Good to hear from you amigo. I'll be in Texas a while. Not sure if RTB is in the cards next fall as I have to catch a plane to South America about that time.

I will look you up when I get down your way next month if you are around. Maybe go for a KLX cruise.

The Sherpa gas tank has Garfey inked on the right side. I appreciate your kind support as always.

Kindest regards,
Your pal Juan
Old 07-10-2014, 01:41 AM   #4405
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Still enjoying Texas hospitality and easy going rural ranch life.

On a separate note, I was wondering how I might drive my truck and newly
purchased KLX250S home. Hmmmmm. Good question.

A receiver mounted motorcycle carrier is what bigdon has. Of course I didn't have a receiver hitch. That is until bigdon ordered one. It came yesterday and I reimbursed him. I think it was 140.00 with shipping. It was pretty painless to install with the help of bigdon and his impact wrench. Then it was time to try sliding his moto-tote hitch mounted motorcycle carrier Into the receiver, load up the KLX and give it a whirl. It was like a dream. So much nicer than a trailer like I have used in the past.

And then of course, today the moto carrier was supplied once again by Craigslist. I was checking and a nice dude originally from Thermopolis, Wyoming who lived down the road near Dallas had a brand new Moto-tote hitch carrier exactly like Don's. What are the chances? This thing was brand new. Never used. Andy was a super cool guy with different priorities than me.

I was cruising home late this evening thinking how much I like Texas. Similar to Oklahoma with southern hospitality, friendly folks and a kicked back lifestyle. I like it.

Well okay, I don't particularly like chiggers. We don't have them back in Nebraska. They are these devilish little mite-like insect boogers whose bites itch like poison oak.

I have listened to a lot of Country and Western music this month. It's pretty much all that's on the radio in East Texas. I'm starting to dig it. On the way home from Dallas this evening I heard "Little Texas" singing:

I've been sent to spread the message:
"(thump thump, thump)....God blessed Texas"

I'm pretty sure it's true.

Saludos,
Juan Tejas

JDowns screwed with this post 07-10-2014 at 02:16 AM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 05:23 AM   #4406
whiskymike
landloper

Oddometer: 2
Howdy John! Still following your excellent report! If you are starting to like country music, "and", you are in Texas, you should give a listen to some "Texas Swing". I recommend "Asleep at The Wheel" to start.
whiskymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:14 AM   #4407
cjeter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Loving the report, one of my favorites, and I'm looking forward to some KLX reports too. I hope everyone here in Texas continues to treat you well.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:45 AM   #4408
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 574
Chiggers really get under your skin dont they .
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:21 AM   #4409
inroads
Wimberley,Texas

Oddometer: 198
Buy ya some sulphur @ the drug store and throw a little in a sock and powder your legs for them there chigger critters.
inroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:48 AM   #4410
dcbelljr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Congrats!

Nice bike, Mr. Minimalist Evangelist! Have fun in CO. Wish I could go!
dcbelljr is offline   Reply With Quote