User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 11:34 PM   #4456
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,652
Took off for Colorado today on the KLX at the crack of noon. Actually the only thing cracking was lightening , thunder and pounding rain for the first hundred miles. Let me just say that wearing deerskin gloves through a rain storm will make your hands look like you've got jaundice or some kind of liver disease when you take them off at the gas station:

Didn't take many pics today so you'll just have to imagine the huge bulldozer junkyard just east of Nocona. Nothing but acres of Caterpiller yellow dozers and road graders. Hundreds of them lined up in the distance. Never seen anything like it.

The rain finally let up and I stopped to take a nap on the picnic table at this nice scenic overlook:

I hit reserve at 93 miles. This 2 gallon peanut tank has got to go. Slowed down to conserve fuel when a guy on a KLR came riding by and snapped my picture. Soon I saw he had whipped a U-turn and was following me. Stopped at the next gas station and whadaya know. It is Animal Instinct who had come out to guide me down some fun backroads to his place in Wichita Falls where I am now. Had a great evening chatting about life, motorcycles and minimalism.

More later......
Old 07-18-2014, 03:44 AM   #4457
Balanda
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
JD, I'd have been disappointed if your riding gear was anymore upmarket. Riggers gloves are just the ticket for a minimalist. The little KLX is a ripper too but not sure how it would cope with my 6'3" 250 lb frame. I might have to try something a bit more expansive.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:30 AM   #4458
AdamFL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
J Downs..what was the tank you out on the
Sherpa? I guess it's back in the thread somewhere, but I'm looking to expand the range on mine..your FL pal...
Adam
Old 07-18-2014, 07:29 AM   #4459
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamFL View Post
J Downs..what was the tank you out on the
Sherpa? I guess it's back in the thread somewhere, but I'm looking to expand the range on mine..your FL pal...
Adam
Hi Adam,

The gas tank I have on the Sherpa is an aftermarket Clarke 4 gallon tank that fits an XR650L. It is available from justgastanks.

It requires making some bigger pucks for the front mounts and a different bracket for the rear. I followed the picture instructions on the sherpa thread in Thumpers section of ADV. You also need an XR650 petcock which replaces the vacuum Sherpa petcock. This means you need to block off the vacuum port on the Sherpa carb that went to the stock petcock.

It isn't a hard upgrade really, and being able to go an extra 150 miles on a tank is a beautiful thing.

Saludos,
Juan del Tanque Grande

JDowns screwed with this post 07-18-2014 at 08:00 AM
Old 07-18-2014, 07:55 AM   #4460
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balanda View Post
JD, I'd have been disappointed if your riding gear was anymore upmarket. Riggers gloves are just the ticket for a minimalist. The little KLX is a ripper too but not sure how it would cope with my 6'3" 250 lb frame. I might have to try something a bit more expansive.
Hi Balanda,

The KLX has a taller seat height than the Sherpa, but small bikes aren't for everyone. The first time I went from a big BMW to a 250 it was like riding a mountain bike, it was so much lighter and snappier.

I was forced to adapt to a more minimalist travel style since you can't load up a small bike with a metric ton of travel gear and 6 changes of clothes.

I do think it is important to get the word out that you don't HAVE to have a big expensive bike to travel the world.

The sunsets are just as beautiful coming over the ridge line and looking out over the western horizon no matter what bike you're on. The important thing is to get out of the driveway. And if buying a little 250 on Craigslist allows you to have more money for travel, so much the better.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:12 AM   #4461
Animal Instinct
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Thursday's

are our half day here at the hard yard. I kept my eye on the weather radar and just kind of guessed when John might leave.

I got antsy and the rain had stopped several hours earlier so I decided it would be kind of cool to meet him on the road so I got Red out and hit the road, keeping a keen eye out on the northbound traffic across the median of US 287. I wanted to get to Henrietta, TX and shoot east on US 82 where he'd be easier to spot.

Once on US 82 I just putted along, allowing traffic to pass and stopping for a picture or two. We're in a severe drought and seeing mud and standing water was almost foreign.

I just pressed on, slowly. About 15 miles east of Henrietta I see a single headlight but as it approaches I realize it's a big Goldwing. Not wanting to get too far from home in case I did miss him on 287, or if he decided to wait until Friday, I slowed even more and decided to turn back at 20 miles out.

We meet at about 18 miles.

I hook a U and soon discover that following JDowns on the road is just as pleasant as following him through South America.

It seemed kind of weird that he didn't stop though. He was nursing the KLX along on reserve, thinking he was nearly dry. We stopped and introduced ourselves as we filled the Green Machine. His jaundiced looking hands initially concerned me that I was joining John on his last good ride.

It was just the gloves.

Given the option of blasting up a busy US 287 or some farm to market roads, well, I felt foolish after asking. He fell in behind and we took the long way home.

We got to the house and spent a great evening talking, laughing, and sharing what bits and pieces of our lives that time would allow, staying up way past the time Lois and I usually retire.

Animal Instinct screwed with this post 07-18-2014 at 12:19 PM
Old 07-18-2014, 12:07 PM   #4462
Animal Instinct
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Last night

we finally got around to discussing the route he will be taking today. Rather than just grind it out on US 287, I showed him a better set of roads that would take him right through Turkey, TX -- home of Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys.

JDowns, recent Texan, "Who's that?"

If time permits he might visit Palo Duro Canyon State Park.

....and speaking of canyons, while we were drinking coffee this morning we discovered that he, just like Lois and I, had disregarded the many signs at the rim of the Grand Canyon warning visitors not to attempt to hike to the bottom and back in one day and then suffered the most pure muscle soreness the following 4 days that one might imagine. Rebels without a clue.

Coincidence, or Karma of the road less traveled?

Far too soon, it was time for Rainman to get back on the road.

John, thank you so much for making opening our home to a "stranger" such a wonderful experience.

We'll talk about this for a long, long time -- and never forget it.

Until we meet again,

Scott and Lois
Old 07-18-2014, 01:24 PM   #4463
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal Instinct View Post

....and speaking of canyons, while we were drinking coffee this morning we discovered that he, just like Lois and I, had disregarded the many signs at the rim of the Grand Canyon warning visitors not to attempt to hike to the bottom and back in one day and then suffered the most pure muscle soreness the following 4 days that one might imagine. Rebels without a clue.

Coincidence, or Karma of the road less traveled?
Oh crap, I agree. Did that thing a long time ago with some much younger guys. The last part was murder. Easily one of the hardest things I've ever done. And I've done a bunch of hard (stupid, if you ask my wife) stuff. Much, much harder than the Hotter'N Hell Hundred.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:21 PM   #4464
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,525
I thought this was a ride report about south America, what happened? This stuff is boring
Old 07-18-2014, 07:34 PM   #4465
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by 805gregg View Post
I thought this was a ride report about south America, what happened? This stuff is boring
This is the "and back" part.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:10 PM   #4466
Cmnthead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Shhhhhhhh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805gregg View Post
Honestly.....if you have nothing positive or constructive to say, please, keep it to yourself, it depresses the rest of us that enjoy these reports. Regardless where they are.

A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.. H Thompson
Old 07-18-2014, 11:46 PM   #4467
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 584
Is it just my imagination or the the KLX have a bit more rake than the Sherpa ?
Old 07-20-2014, 07:02 PM   #4468
3dogrider
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Salida

John , thanks for stopping by today. Good food and good conversation regarding life in the slow lane, motos and historic masonry. I cooked the ribs another 3 hours and they are falling off the bone. Ummmm good. You are welcomed here anytime and I look forward to seeing you again. Travel safe. Terry
Old 07-20-2014, 08:47 PM   #4469
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,289
Great stories John, keep it up.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:29 PM   #4470
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

I've been out riding around the last four days and hardly took any pics. Had a great time visiting with Animal Instinct and wife. He showed me some fun backroads through Turkey Texas and Palo Duro Canyon, the Grand Canyon of the Texas panhandle. I had never heard of it. It's out in the middle of nowhere southeast of Amarillo:

Who knew?

Camped last night in New Mexico in a picnic shelter. Left at first light, so the pic is barely viewable:

Headed up to Salida, Colorado and visited 3dogrider and his lovely wife. He does historic masonry preservation, so we had plenty to talk about. He gave a tour of the town. He does nice work. Plus he makes some mean smoked ribs. Not to mention his wife's cherry crisp with cherries picked from their tree. Mmmmm mmmmm good.

Then it was up to Buena Vista which was a zoo of tourists. I missed bigdon who was already headed home, so headed to Leadville to camp. There was lots of traffic along with thunderheads up the valley. Hmmmmm.
Who wants to camp in the rain and ride in traffic?

Not me. So I turned around and headed to New Mexico. Ahhhhh. This is more like it:

South of Coatapaxi on a road 3dogrider recommended. Many miles of curves followed by these long stretches off to the horizon. No cars, no people, just wide open spaces.

Heading down to New Mexico on backroads threading through thunderstorms:

More later......

JDowns screwed with this post 07-20-2014 at 10:46 PM
Closed Thread