Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2014, 07:49 AM   #4486
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,451
John really does good work. You guys should use him if possible!

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:27 PM   #4487
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdon View Post
John really does good work. You guys should use him if possible!
Hey bigdon,

The look on your wife's face says it all!

See you ma~nana.

Best,
ADV Gypsy Contractors Inc.

JDowns screwed with this post 07-22-2014 at 08:06 PM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:13 PM   #4488
tomski74
Silesian American

Oddometer: 1,412
Look who showed up !!!

Wyslano z telefonu komorkowego Tomskiego
Old 07-22-2014, 09:29 PM   #4489
tomski74
Silesian American

Oddometer: 1,412

Old 07-23-2014, 01:59 AM   #4490
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Didn't take many pics today. Just imagine riding 400 miles through the Oklahoma panhandle to Tulsa in high 90s down straight lonely roads stretching off to the vanishing point on the horizon.

Some people pay good money to take a sauna at a health spa. Oklahoma backroads offer free saunas in July.

Headed down to Jo Mommas Pizza where I found a line of parked dual sport bikes:

So I pulled in next to a GS twice as big as the little KLX:

Inside were the usual suspects:

Heading back to Texas tomorrow after I change the oil and filter and clean the road grime off the bike.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:26 AM   #4491
RainbowDash119
NotGay#mylittlepony

Oddometer: 85
Good talkin to ya downs... enjoy the rest of the trip.
RainbowDash119 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:51 AM   #4492
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomski74 View Post
Look who showed up !!!

Ecuador Freedom Bike Rental. Awesome shirt amigo!!
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:27 PM   #4493
DeepBarney
Nubile Adventurer

Oddometer: 528
Found this RR a short while back, and am going through it to learn how I might be able to someday take a similiar trip on my little KLR250. I'm more of a minimalist when it comes to camping and such so seeing your minimalist approach is reassuring. Thanks for taking the time to put together this RR and put into it the info that you have.

My spirit guide is Jeremy Clarkson yelling "POWWERRR!!!"

Wherever it is I'm heading, I'll get there somehow, at some point.
DeepBarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:51 AM   #4494
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepBarney View Post
Found this RR a short while back, and am going through it to learn how I might be able to someday take a similiar trip on my little KLR250. I'm more of a minimalist when it comes to camping and such so seeing your minimalist approach is reassuring. Thanks for taking the time to put together this RR and put into it the info that you have.
Hi DeepBarney,

Glad to have you along for the ride amigo.

A KLR250 will get the job done. If you haven't read the Seguin brothers ride report, check it out .

I believe it's called, "South America or Until our Money or Luck Runs Out"

Your ADVpal,
Tio Juan
Old 07-31-2014, 01:35 AM   #4495
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

In my continuing research and development into the life of a constant ADVrider, I am finding life on the road to be quite amenable, Wherever I am is home. Spending my life savings on motorcycles and travel seems to be a reasonable thing to do. Who knew?

I don't recall learning about this in school. Probably why I dropped out of college so many years ago. Higher education for me is crossing the Andes on a dark stormy night. That's something school didn't prepare me for. Slick roads, fog and wide swinging buses at 14,000 feet is ADV tuition in the school of adventure.

I like it!

Can't wait to get back to South America. My flight has been changed to Nov. 9th heading back to Buenos Aires. Should be fun.

In the meantime I will continue beautifying ADVriders houses.

Saludos,
Juan Tejas
Old 08-01-2014, 05:47 PM   #4496
Travelbugblues
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post

Higher education for me is crossing the Andes on a dark stormy night. That's something school didn't prepare me for. Slick roads, fog and wide swinging buses at 14,000 feet is ADV tuition in the school of adventure.

I like it!

Love it, Tio Juan! My own high Andes crossing at night, in blinding fog and slushy snow with a cliff on one side and a 15,000 foot peak somewhere in the dark is one of my favorite trip memories so far :) What a night to remember!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Travelbugblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:00 PM   #4497
riverman
Life is great !

Oddometer: 147
Hi John. I am still following your report and have a question. A while back you mentioned that you now have an Ipad. Is that what you are using on the road to update this report? or are you still lugging a computer. How is it working out for you with the Ipad? Any particular advantages or disadvantages that you care to share?

'11 WR250R
'13 Tiger 800XC
riverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:38 AM   #4498
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverman View Post
Hi John. I am still following your report and have a question. A while back you mentioned that you now have an Ipad. Is that what you are using on the road to update this report? or are you still lugging a computer. How is it working out for you with the Ipad? Any particular advantages or disadvantages that you care to share?
Hi Riverman,

I took the iPad mini with me to Colorado last week and that was my only internet device for updating this ride report and taking pictures which I uploaded to smugmug.com and linked to my posts.

The advantage of the iPad is that it has a long battery life for when I was camping and away from power and a nice camera for taking pictures, which my laptop lacks. Plus it costs a lot less than my MacBook Air laptop. Now mind you, if you want to go totally minimal, an iPod touch with it’s tiny 4” screen will do the job as well as an iPad. That’s all I used going to Panama several years back.

The nice thing about the Macbook Air laptop that I am typing this response on is that it has a really nice keyboard which is faster for typing. Plus a bigger screeen for watching netflix videos in the evening as I do regularly. And since netflix works in Central and South America, I find myself falling asleep watching movies a lot while traveling in Latin America and waking up the next morning with my laptop on the floor. I swear I have dented every corner of this laptop from having it slide off my stomach onto the concrete in the middle of the night. Plus it has tumbled down the highway a couple times when my topbox flew off and tumbled down the road. So the aluminum Macbook Air is a beast with it’s solid state hard drive. That said, I traded work for it and didn’t have to pay retail. These boogers are expensive.

I have crash tested the iPad as well. It has a more fragile screen, and after 4 months of continuous use, the iPad has dented corners and hairline cracks around the screen. Plus I sat on it last week and cracked the screen further. Ooops. So it is more fragile. But I am an oaf and beat my tech products up pretty bad.

So in conclusion, and to your question, the iPad has the advantage of lower purchase price, longer battery life and more apps. I regularly use Mapswithme, which is a free offline map product that is like google.maps but without the need for an internet connection. Also Mo+ is a free wifi calling app that allows me to phone people on my iPad for free. And Yahoo.weather is a nice free weather app with dynamic radar maps for seeing where you are going to get pounded by rain up the road.

For posting ride reports, I use the notepad app on the iPad to type up long reports. There is an app called Photosync which uploads photos from your iPad to smugmug.com. I am a big fan of that app. And after the photos are uploaded to smugmug.com I go to that site using the Safari browser and use the function on Smugmug.com’s site to copy and paste links into my ride report posts. I have found that with an iPad you have to press down on the link, select all, and copy it for pasting into the ride report being composed on the iPad notepad app. I have also found it is safer to type up your ride reports on your computer.s textedit or notepad app and copy and paste that into the ADVrider browser window. If you type a long post directly into ADVrider, it is often lost on slow internet connections.

Okay, long story, but in conclusion, I will be taking my laptop and iPad to South America in a few months. Nice to have backup.

If I was total minimalist, an iPod Touch would do the trick, but for an extra hundred bucks the iPad mini has a bigger screen.

Now mind you, I have met other travellers who swear by chromebooks, phablets and netbooks. There are plenty of good options out there. I just happen to be addicted to apple products. So sue me.

Oh, and it took me a while to learn that you have to hand type [img] in front of your picture link code and [/img] after it in order for your pictures to show up on your ride report posts. But hey, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer and if I can figure it out there is hope for you amigo.

Saludos,
Juan Techno

JDowns screwed with this post 08-04-2014 at 02:31 AM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:43 AM   #4499
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post

Pizza and PBR, breakfast of Champions!
Iron Butt #35784
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 03:34 AM   #4500
Balanda
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
JD, you're an inspiration to the older generation that can sometimes struggle with the tech world, let alone us of advancing years that think that travel is the domain of youth. Gotta love the can-do attitude.
Balanda is offline   Reply With Quote