Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 08:51 AM   #4501
WOXOF
Just wander'n

Oddometer: 706
John

You might want to look at a ClamCase for your iPad mini.

http://clamcase.com/ipad-mini-keyboard-case.html

It gives you good protection and a regular keyboard for you iPad.
It does add weight but is still lighter that a Macbook Air.

I have one on my iPad 3 and really like it.

It also a little pricy too.
IBA #33096
Old 08-04-2014, 02:59 PM   #4502
geolpilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
I bought a folding Bluetooth keyboard by perixx on eBay or Amazon for about $30. It has good touch and works well.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:12 PM   #4503
riverman
Life is great !

Oddometer: 156
Thanks for your detailed response and perspective John. Much appreciated.

'11 WR250R
'13 Tiger 800XC
Old 08-05-2014, 12:41 PM   #4504
notsofasteddie
Semi Slow Rider

Oddometer: 62
KLX 250 Thoughts

Hey John, now that you had a few days and a bunch of miles on a KLX, what to you think? I know that you mentioned you were going to need more than 2 gallons of gas. Any ideas on what tank option you might go with? Any other revelations from getting some seat time on one?

The reason I ask is that I came across a good deal on a 2013 KLX 250, and the wife didn't say "no". (It will cost me some home improvement cash and sweat however.)

When you get time.

Thanks,
Ed
Page, AZ
Old 08-05-2014, 12:43 PM   #4505
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,553
(It will cost me some home improvement cash and sweat however.)

I know a Guy!

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
Old 08-05-2014, 01:07 PM   #4506
advmoto66
Vagabond

Oddometer: 140
dictation vs typing rr

on the touch and iPad you can use the dictation rather then typing your notes and reports there is even a apple page that show all the symbols for punctuation and such[QUOTE=JDowns;24767605]Hi Riverman,

advmoto66 screwed with this post 08-08-2014 at 02:34 AM
Old 08-06-2014, 07:07 AM   #4507
notsofasteddie
Semi Slow Rider

Yeah, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdon View Post
(It will cost me some home improvement cash and sweat however.)

I know a Guy!
My problem is I can afford a contractor or a bike but not both. I'll be glad to buy John all the pizza and breakfasts he can handle if he manages to come through Page at some point, but my retirement account is pretty tight, so, I'm back to doing stuff myself with my wife like we used to 30 years ago when we first moved into the house. We actually did OK on the living room refresh last winter, although I did pay a professional to lay the carpet.

Besides, you seem to have our hero pretty tied up down there in Tejas these days! The important part - is your wife likin' it?
Old 08-06-2014, 07:40 AM   #4508
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by notsofasteddie View Post
My problem is I can afford a contractor or a bike but not both. I'll be glad to buy John all the pizza and breakfasts he can handle if he manages to come through Page at some point, but my retirement account is pretty tight, so, I'm back to doing stuff myself with my wife like we used to 30 years ago when we first moved into the house. We actually did OK on the living room refresh last winter, although I did pay a professional to lay the carpet.

Besides, you seem to have our hero pretty tied up down there in Tejas these days! The important part - is your wife likin' it?
Don't pay the ransom! John should be loose before long no matter how many more things my Wife finds for him to do.
I'm just about out of remodeling funds and sure don't want to dip in the 690 fund pocket.
Shhh, don't tell the Wife about the 690 fund! If you do it's kinda like a 401k fund or something !

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
Old 08-06-2014, 12:24 PM   #4509
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,652
Quote:
Hey John, now that you had a few days and a bunch of miles on a KLX, what to you think? I know that you mentioned you were going to need more than 2 gallons of gas. Any ideas on what tank option you might go with? Any other revelations from getting some seat time on one?

The reason I ask is that I came across a good deal on a 2013 KLX 250, and the wife didn't say "no". (It will cost me some home improvement cash and sweat however.)

When you get time.

Thanks,
Ed
Page, AZ
Hi Ed,

I think the KLX is a fine bike. It looks like you are an all Kwak household. The Connie is great for highway cruising, your KLR is a good all rounder and Mexican cruiser. And the KLX would be a good fit as a light weight economical backcountry Arizona explorer.

It gets better gas mileage than your other bikes and is a surprisingly capable bike. It's easy to work on. I took out the carb to clean it and only used an 8mm nut driver to take all the plastic, seat and tank off. And a phillips and some needle nose pliers to remove the carb clamps and throttle cables.

Yes, the peanut gas tank has to go. You have two choices I know of. IMS 3 gallon tank which fits without mods or the Acerbis 3.7 gallon tank that requires some work to make fit. I may just go with the IMS tank. With stock jetting the KLX got between 60 to 65 mpg over the 2600 miles to Colorado and back a couple weeks ago. But you will be pushing the bike at 120 miles if you forget to get gas like I did once. An extra gallon will get you down the road another 60 miles which is fine for North America.

The Super Sherpa with it's 250 mile range and no radiators or water cooling to mess up is nice for South America though.

So, in conclusion, go buy that bike so I can go riding with a new KLX buddy when I get down to Arizona in a few months.

your ADVpal,
John
Old 08-06-2014, 06:55 PM   #4510
notsofasteddie
Semi Slow Rider

Thank You John!

Thanks for getting back so quick!

My situation is that I can't keep the KLR and get the KLX too (ensuring the domestic tranquility as they say). I was riding the KLR around today and thought "man I'd hate to give this up". I can ride 400 miles a day on it, in cross winds, and still be OK to go for the evening or next day. Not sure how I'd do on the KLX with the distances I end up going.

I know some people think KLRs are real pigs, but after a cruiser and even after last week with 800 miles on the Concours, the KLR feels pretty nimble to me, most of the time. (I don't do aggressive off road riding - too many stents and too thin of blood cause of that). But the KLR gets heavy to pick up out of the sand (and we have a lot of sand around here).

Also, I looked at putting the KLX on a hitch carrier (like you got) on my Jeep TJ. The hitch is good for the weight of the KLX and carrier, but the Jeep manual says 200 lb max tongue weight. Some guys on the Jeep forums say "no problem" and some say the steering gets pretty squirrely and braking suffers. I think if I was going less than 50 miles I'd be OK with that, but 400 miles with some curvy bumpy roads may not be that OK. I haven't totally given up yet, but it may take some creative negotiations.

Sorry for cluttering up your thread there John. Have a good rest of the summer, and let me know if you get up near Page at some point.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:21 PM   #4511
geolpilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
I carry a 470 lb Bonneville on a carrier on my Dakota pickup. The carrier is probably 80 lb. . I added air Springs at 60 psi to truck and two 1500 working load ratchet straps from the truck rails down to the carrier to steady it and take some of the load off of hitch. . Been at least 6000 miles with it so far.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:01 AM   #4512
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,826
Money???

Hey John I know I asked some time back about your ability to get money on a semi regular basis while out on the road in South America and I understand that money machines are available in most of the larger towns along the way but the state of the world has me wondering...

It seems that Argentina is going through some currency issues at the moment and I just wonder how you feel about it. Let's say you head down that way this fall and get out in the middle of the country and they have some sort of fiscal crash, what would you do for cash? The same could be said for the the grid going down or anything disasterous here in the states, we are all joined together through the ones and zeros on the internet right? I mean it's not like you can haul a pile of green backs with you to change for local currency while that far from home. Do you ever think you could get "stuck"?

Guess I am just feeling a little too dependant on our electronic lifestyle to be comfortable that things will always be as they are now. Can you comment or does any of this cross your mind while travelling?

Sorry, don't mean to be a downer, I know that some of the unknowns are what make this an adventure but I think these are legitimate questions in this day and age...all part of the ride
Old 08-07-2014, 04:03 PM   #4513
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodly1069 View Post
Hey John I know I asked some time back about your ability to get money on a semi regular basis while out on the road in South America and I understand that money machines are available in most of the larger towns along the way but the state of the world has me wondering...

It seems that Argentina is going through some currency issues at the moment and I just wonder how you feel about it. Let's say you head down that way this fall and get out in the middle of the country and they have some sort of fiscal crash, what would you do for cash? The same could be said for the the grid going down or anything disasterous here in the states, we are all joined together through the ones and zeros on the internet right? I mean it's not like you can haul a pile of green backs with you to change for local currency while that far from home. Do you ever think you could get "stuck"?

Guess I am just feeling a little too dependant on our electronic lifestyle to be comfortable that things will always be as they are now. Can you comment or does any of this cross your mind while travelling?

Sorry, don't mean to be a downer, I know that some of the unknowns are what make this an adventure but I think these are legitimate questions in this day and age...all part of the ride
Hi Woodly,

You ask good questions. Not a downer at all.

Because Argentina has such a volatile currency, it has a thriving black market money exchange. For this reason I carry cash in a money belt while traveling through countries like Argentina and Venezuela. The new hundred dollar bills are best. And one thing no one tells you is that you need crisp bills with no tears or imperfections. Any tiny little tear and the bill is unusable. I know. It sounds strange, but that's the way it is with Latin American money changers (Casa de Cambio in Spanish). And in Argentina in particular, you get about 50% more for your money by changing on what they call the blue dollar market as opposed to what the cash machines give you. Every major town square in Argentina will have blue dollar money changers that will trade your c-notes for Argentinian pesos at a good rate.

One nice thing is that Ecuador uses American dollars for their currency. So you can stock up on dollars there on your way to Argentina.

Another thing nobody seems to mention is that it is nearly impossible to change hundred dollar bills in Ecuador. Even at the banks. Strange, no? The cash machines in Ecuador spit out American twenties. And you get a lower exchange rate in Argentina on the black market for small bills. They prefer hundreds.

The nice thing about South America is that ATMs (called Cajero Automaticos in Spanish) are in most decent sized towns.

So in conclusion, I follow the Marco Polo traveler philosophy. He came back from China with gems sewn in his raggy garments and looked like a poor hobo on a camel. I carry a few thou in a money belt that I sleep with and travel like a hobo on a girls bike.

Works for me. I use cash machines in the countries like Colombia, Peru and Chile where the currency is relatively stable and change dollars when in Argentina or when I lose my ATM card. When I lost my credit cards and debit card and had to cancel them it wasn't a big deal since I had cash to carry me through.

But really, most folks carry a couple credit cards and a debit card and carry a couple hundred bucks in local currency cash in their wallet and stash their credit cards in a money belt or some such. I met a Belgian fellow in Quito Ecuador who had an actual belt with a zipper on the inside that allowed him to stash a couple thou. The only reason I know this is that the zipper broke and we were going down to the local leather repair place so I could get my cheap-ass riding boots sewn up and he could get a new zip for the inside of his belt.

It's also not a bad idea to stash a few hundred bucks on your bike as emergency money. Just don't duct tape it to the frame like I did when I went to Panama a few years ago. I had to take the duct taped bills into the bank at home when I got back and have them un-goo them and give me some fresh bills. Why didn't I put them in a baggy before taping them to the frame you might ask? Well, as you may have guessed by now, I am doing research and development for you, so you don't make stupid mistakes like me.

Your concerns are normal. But if the banking system goes down, that's when the adventure begins. I traveled across the Darien with two rasta boys who had hitch-hiked from California with a few hundred bucks. They didn't need no steenkin' banks.

Hope this helps.

Saludos,
Tio Juanito

JDowns screwed with this post 08-07-2014 at 06:10 PM
Old 08-07-2014, 05:12 PM   #4514
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Thanks for getting back so quick!

My situation is that I can't keep the KLR and get the KLX too (ensuring the domestic tranquility as they say). I was riding the KLR around today and thought "man I'd hate to give this up". I can ride 400 miles a day on it, in cross winds, and still be OK to go for the evening or next day. Not sure how I'd do on the KLX with the distances I end up going.

I know some people think KLRs are real pigs, but after a cruiser and even after last week with 800 miles on the Concours, the KLR feels pretty nimble to me, most of the time. (I don't do aggressive off road riding - too many stents and too thin of blood cause of that). But the KLR gets heavy to pick up out of the sand (and we have a lot of sand around here).

Also, I looked at putting the KLX on a hitch carrier (like you got) on my Jeep TJ. The hitch is good for the weight of the KLX and carrier, but the Jeep manual says 200 lb max tongue weight. Some guys on the Jeep forums say "no problem" and some say the steering gets pretty squirrely and braking suffers. I think if I was going less than 50 miles I'd be OK with that, but 400 miles with some curvy bumpy roads may not be that OK. I haven't totally given up yet, but it may take some creative negotiations.

Sorry for cluttering up your thread there John. Have a good rest of the summer, and let me know if you get up near Page at some point.
Hi Ed,

Don't worry about cluttering up this thread. This ride report was made for clutter. Some would say it's boring in the summer months. Ho ho ho.

I think I would keep the KLR if it is a solid good running bike.
I rode bigdon's KLR to Arkansas a while ago to go camping and it's an amazingly capable but under-appreciated bike.

I am an edge case and don't mind riding a 250 Kawasaki thousands of miles to the ends of the earth. But if you are happy with your KLR, I would hesitate to suggest selling it. It only weighs a hundred pounds more than a KLX.

Put the KLR on the hitch carrier and have your 300 pound buddy ride shotgun to keep the front end of your jeep on the ground. Problem solved.

Just kidding.

Your ADVpal,
Tio Juan

JDowns screwed with this post 08-07-2014 at 05:54 PM
Old 08-07-2014, 11:10 PM   #4515
notsofasteddie
Semi Slow Rider

I love it!

[QUOTE] Put the KLR on the hitch carrier and have your 300 pound buddy ride shotgun to keep the front end of your jeep on the ground. Problem solved. [QUOTE]

Way funny!

How about this - a 1997 KLR250 (emailing with the seller tonight) and I get to keep the KLR650? I keep one in Page, keep the other in Ely, Nevada, where my in-laws are, and make the drives back and forth with my wife or ride the Concours by myself (which I do many times already) in case she wants to stay longer. (She's thinking about this one.) I've ridden the KLR back and forth almost as many times as the Concours (at least once a year) but I tend to pick the weather days more carefully and it's definitely a slower trip. Anyway, still working on something. No matter what I'll have something here in Page to go riding on if you make it through here. Could even show you some neat stuff around here in the Jeep that would be pretty nasty sand on a bike.

Ed
Closed Thread