Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2014, 08:38 AM   #4546
BarkBuster79
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hi Barkbuster79'

Fernie is just down the road from my favorite Southeast BC highway 3A down to Creston. There's some great summer riding in your neighborhood.

Florida and South America are tops in December though.

Hope to see you down the road.

Saludos,
Tio Envierno del Sol

Yes defiantly some great "summer" riding as you mentioned down towards Creston. Our hidden gem rides are the thousands of logging roads cut through the mountains tho John, roads that make your mouth water all day. Be great to show you around if you ever venture back up to the snowy north. I'll buy ya a coke in south America 2015 and pizza in Fernie 2016. see u on the beach JD, happy trails!!
BarkBuster79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:49 PM   #4547
chuppie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
John,
When I was a kid in the 60s, I grew up solidly middle class in a very affluent area. As a result most all the kids had much more then I did. When I would complain to my mom about it, she used to always say "It isn't what you have, it is what you do with what you have" If anyone here has done more with less, I haven't found it yet in the ride reports. My mom would be so proud of you.
Any chance you are going to try and hit Europe or Asia?

Regards
Rick

chuppie screwed with this post 08-20-2014 at 02:38 AM
chuppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:34 AM   #4548
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuppie View Post
John,
When I was a kid in the 60s, I grew up solidly middle class in a very affluent area. As a result most all the kids had much more then I did. When I would complain to my mom about it, she used to always say "It isn't what you have, it is what you do with what you have" If anyone here has done more with less, I haven't found it yet in the ride reports. My mom would be so proud of you.
Any chance you are going to try and hit Europe or Asia?

Regards
Rick
Hi Rick,

Thanks for the kind words. I think I'll be heading to Asia after South America. It may take me a while at the rate I'm going. It turns out South America is a huge continent.

Saludos,
Juan Viajaro
Old 08-20-2014, 05:40 AM   #4549
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventurebound9517 View Post
J.D.
Are you riding your new bike?
I have only been riding the new to me KLX250S around the neighborhood. I need to register it in Oregon when I get there this Fall before I head back to South America since the plates are expired.

I rode bigdon's KLR up to Arkansas this past weekend.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:05 PM   #4550
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,760
Hey J, Jeremy, I met you in Tulsa at Tom and Yanush's place. I'm in Fort Smith for a while. If you're coming through let's ride.
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:08 PM   #4551
dcbelljr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
I'm a little late to the party, but...

It was awesome getting to ride with you again, John, and Pop and Rick. We had some good laughs, and I got to see how that KLR can corner! Let's just say that I never kicked it that far over....bigdon probably has.

Quote:
I have only been riding the new to me KLX250S around the neighborhood. I need to register it in Oregon when I get there this Fall before I head back to South America since the plates are expired.

I rode bigdon's KLR up to Arkansas this past weekend.
dcbelljr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:25 AM   #4552
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

There are many forces that can make a nomadic ADVrider lifestyle difficult to acheive for some. Chief among them are family, pets and work obligations. Plus the time required to maintain the material possessions that one acquires. Everything you buy takes up space in your life. Material possessions require physical space in the form of a home, garage or some sort of storage. And mental space to keep track of insurance, maintenance, repair, cleaning etc. Which is why I keep stressing to young twenty something travelers I meet on the road the importance of taking advantage of these golden years between finishing school and getting married. Before they find their travel time limited by careers and starting a family. Before the weight of material possessions and family/work obligations make it difficult for them to find the time to travel and explore the world. Riding motorcycles and visiting the far corners of the U.S. and foreign lands is the one thing that has given me perspective, appreciation and tolerance for the amazing diversity of humanity.

It requires extreme discipline not to get entangled in the material world and resist subtle or not so subtle family pressure to settle down, get a job and start a family during these golden years. Most young people think this will never happen to them. And yet the vast majority of people do eventually settle down and have kids. I am here to tell you, there are almost no people who are married with small children riding around the world on a motorcycle for months at a time. If you get married and have children there will likely be twenty years of obligations that make it difficult to take off for more than a few days. This is not a bad thing mind you.

If you are reading this ride report you may be one of the 1%. Folks who can resist the siren song of the material world. Who live to ride. Who enjoy other peoples pets and children but have none of their own.

So much for today’s sermon. Hey, today is Sunday.

I finished up at bigdon’s place and had to make a quick trip up to Nebraska to fix my plumbing, check the roof for wind damage from the storms, pick up the mail and help out the older fellow who is taking care of my yard before continuing my nomadic contracting ways.

Here is my minimalist toy hauler:

I’ve only spent a couple weeks in the last two years at my house in the background. It’s a nice place. But then again just about everywhere I’ve stayed in the last couple years has been nice in one way or another. It is certainly cheaper living in Bassett Nebraska than anywhere my travels have taken me since I own the house and don’t have any monthly payments other than electricity and water when I’m here, I spend about 20 bucks a day on gas food and lodging here. You can’t live on 600 bucks a month on the road. Well, at least I can’t. I spend double that in the expensive countries and slightly less in the cheaper countries like Ecuador and Guatemala. Heck, most people can’t live on 600 bucks a month anywhere in this country.

I did fiind out that while I was in South America they legalized pot in the next State over. Imagine my surprise when I went out to mow the lawn and saw that the birds from Colorado have already flown over to Nebraska and pooped some pot seeds into my back yard where they have grown to four foot plants while I was away in Texas:

Actually it is hemp which grows wild in Nebraska. And although it smells and looks just like marijuana, it has no effect when dried and smoked. As I found out in my youth. Still, it is comforting to know that if times get tough I can grow pot in my backyard, leave for a few months, come back to harvest it and nobody would think anything about it.

more later….

JDowns screwed with this post 08-31-2014 at 11:58 AM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 01:22 PM   #4553
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbelljr View Post
It was awesome getting to ride with you again, John, and Pop and Rick. We had some good laughs, and I got to see how that KLR can corner! Let's just say that I never kicked it that far over....bigdon probably has.
Hi LD,

Yeah, I kicked that KLR waaaaaay over. As in on it's side in the parking lot when I couldn't keep that big girl from tipping over as I came to a stop. Pretty funny. I'm not used to a top-heavy KLR with a 10 gallon Safari tank full of gas much less a bike that goes over 70.

Look forward to riding with you again. Maybe see you when I head back down to Texas in a week or two.

If not this year then next year.

Your ADVuncle,
John

And the black gulls sang:
tum tum TUM tum, tum tum TUM tum, tum tum TUM tum TUM tum TUM tum….

JDowns screwed with this post 08-31-2014 at 01:39 PM
Old 08-31-2014, 01:48 PM   #4554
ex_MGB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
I am here to tell you, there are almost no people who are married with small children riding around the world on a motorcycle for months at a time
It can cut both ways. I spent 16 months at the end of a pipeline road in the jungle of Borneo with a wife and two kids and an orangutan in the tree out front and never saw any Americans go by on a motorcycle :)

Cheers
ex_MGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:20 PM   #4555
DustDog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Dinner waiting for you in Uruguay

Hey Juancito: how things going up there? I was in Uruguay early this month. An out of schedule two weeks trip to visit family and take my Africa out of the country and re-entry. Your SuperSherpa is as you let her waiting for you. Listen my friend, the nice girl in the picture is my loooong time friend in Carmelo Gladys. She owns a super nice restaurant there (Calle Uruguay 101) and I told her you are coming her way. I leave a dinner (or two....I don't know) pay for you there. Since we were both kind of drunk when I paid her and she refuses to move and give me a voucher, this picture is the only proof you have. Just walk in, ask loud with your gringo accent "where is Gladys????" and show her the picture. The rest is in her hands. Canario and Andrea know her very well as well. Good luck

DustDog screwed with this post 08-31-2014 at 02:46 PM
DustDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:33 PM   #4556
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustDog View Post

Hey Juancito: how things going up there? I was in Uruguay early this month. An out of schedule two weeks trip to visit family and take my Africa out of the country and re-entry. Your SuperSherpa is as you let her waiting for you. Listen my friend, the nice girl in the picture is my loooong time friend in Carmelo Gladys. She owns a super nice restaurant there (Calle Uruguay 101) and I told her you are coming her way. I leave a dinner (or two....I don't know) pay for you there. Since we were both kind of drunk when I paid her and she refuses to move and give me a voucher, this picture is the only proof you have. Just walk in, ask loud with your gringo accent "where is Gladys????" and show her the picture. The rest is in her hands. Canario and Andrea know her very well as well. Good luck
Ramón!

Claro. I've been studying Spanish some more this summer so I should have an easier time of it.

¿Donde esta Gladys?
Encantado de conocerla señora Gladys. Aquí está una foto de mi regalo de mi querido amigo Ramón.

That is so kind of you. I will be sure to use your gift to supplement a dinner out with your brother and his family at Calle Uruguay 101.

I look forward to getting back to my little Sherpa and visiting with Canario and Andrea. They are such dear people.

I also look forward to seeing you in South America next year when you make it down to ride.

I need to take some presents down for your dear sobrina y sobrino, but have no idea what to get them. If you have any ideas please let me know. I don't have kids and have no clue what Nacho and his sister would like.

Abrazos,
Tio Juan

JDowns screwed with this post 08-31-2014 at 05:40 PM
Old 09-01-2014, 06:07 PM   #4557
DustDog
Adventurer

Quote:
Ramón!

Claro. I've been studying Spanish some more this summer so I should have an easier time of it.

¿Donde esta Gladys?
Encantado de conocerla señora Gladys. Aquí está una foto de mi regalo de mi querido amigo Ramón.

That is so kind of you. I will be sure to use your gift to supplement a dinner out with your brother and his family at Calle Uruguay 101.

I look forward to getting back to my little Sherpa and visiting with Canario and Andrea. They are such dear people.

I also look forward to seeing you in South America next year when you make it down to ride.

I need to take some presents down for your dear sobrina y sobrino, but have no idea what to get them. If you have any ideas please let me know. I don't have kids and have no clue what Nacho and his sister would like.

Abrazos,
Tio Juan
Hey Tio Juan: We are thinking in start our way South in January 25. From Carmelo to Bariloche will be just crossing. Start touring in El Calafate, Perito Moreno, Torres del Paine, etc. Unfortunately we have only three weeks. I might be able to squeeze another week but doesn't look probable at this point. Will be incredible to ride with you a few days if you are still down there
Old 09-02-2014, 07:07 AM   #4558
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Some Spanish phrases useful for the most common bike problems while traveling in Latin America:

flat tire vocabulary:

I have a flat tire.
Tengo un pinchazo.

Can you patch this tube?
¿Puede parchear este tubo?

Tubes are expensive in Latin America so it is a common sight to see signs for a Vulcanizadora that hot patches (vulcanizes) tubes and tubeless tires.

Where is the nearest vulcanizer?
¿Donde esta la vulcanizadora mas cerca?

I always buy a new tube to replace the flat tube but hot patching is the way to go if you are on a budget, as the glue-on patches tend to peel off in the tropical heat after a while. And vulcanised patches are also the way to go for tubeless tire repair.

I need tire repair.
Necesidad reparación de mi llanta (yanta).
Besides llanta another word for tire is neumatico.

Where is the next tire repair shop?
¿Donde esta el proximo llantero (yan-ter-o)?

In Argentina and Uruguay the word for tire shop is Gomería. Other Latin American countries refer to tire shops as Llantero or Taller de Llantas.

Taller is pronounced Ta-yer as the double ll sounds like y in Spanish. The word means workshop. Thus Taller de llantas is a phrase for tire shop. Just as Taller de Mecaníco is a phrase for mechanic shop.

If you need to buy a new tire or tube then you will likely be looking for a motorcycle parts store. These shops are referred to as Repuestos de Motos (motorcycle parts).

Where is a motorcycle parts store?
¿Donde esta un Repuestos de Moto?

Alas, the smaller towns and cities only carry smaller tube and tire sizes for bikes of 250cc and under. You will be restricted to the cities of a million people or more where wealthier folks with big bikes live to find larger tires and tubes.

Continuing…….

JDowns screwed with this post 09-02-2014 at 11:25 AM
Old 09-02-2014, 07:54 AM   #4559
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Spanish phrases for common bike problems in Latin America.

It is not uncommon to need the services of a welder:

welder
soldadura

welding shop
Taller (ta-yer) de soldadura

My subframe is cracked.
Mi subchasis está agrietada.

My bagframe is broken.
Mi montura de la bolsa se rompe.
or
Mi montura de la bolsa está quebrada.

Please reinforce with a gusset.
Reforzar con un escudete por favor.

Please reinforce with rebar.
Reforzar con barras de refuerzo por favor.

My luggage is cracked.
Mi equipaje está agrietada

I need a Tig welder.
Necesito un soldador tig (teeg).

Although there are ingenious stick welders who can weld aluminum, Tig is the way to go for aluminum. This is more for aluminum boxes and such that can get pounded back out and welded or riveted with gussets.

The verb for to rivet is remachar thus:

I need to rivet this.
Necesito remachar este.

The verb to drill is taladrar or perforar. And the word for drill bit is broca.

I need a bigger drill bit.
Necesito una broca mas grande.

I haven’t needed the services of a welder since I changed to riding a smaller bike with soft bags, but back when I rode big BMWs there was never a trip to Latin America where I didn’t visit the soldadura at least once or twice.

continuing…….

JDowns screwed with this post 09-02-2014 at 11:29 AM
Old 09-02-2014, 05:54 PM   #4560
DustDog
Adventurer

Quote:
Spanish phrases for common bike problems in Latin America.

It is not uncommon to need the services of a welder:

welder
soldadura

welding shop
Taller (ta-yer) de soldadura

My subframe is cracked.
Mi subchasis está agrietada.

My bagframe is broken.
Mi montura de la bolsa se rompe.
or
Mi montura de la bolsa está quebrada.

Please reinforce with a gusset.
Reforzar con un escudete por favor.

Please reinforce with rebar.
Reforzar con barras de refuerzo por favor.

My luggage is cracked.
Mi equipaje está agrietada

I need a Tig welder.
Necesito un soldador tig (teeg).

Although there are ingenious stick welders who can weld aluminum, Tig is the way to go for aluminum. This is more for aluminum boxes and such that can get pounded back out and welded or riveted with gussets.

The verb for to rivet is remachar thus:

I need to rivet this.
Necesito remachar este.

The verb to drill is taladrar or perforar. And the word for drill bit is broca.

I need a bigger drill bit.
Necesito una broca mas grande.

I haven’t needed the services of a welder since I changed to riding a smaller bike with soft bags, but back when I rode big BMWs there was never a trip to Latin America where I didn’t visit the soldadura at least once or twice.

continuing…….
MUY BIEN JUANCITO!!!!!.......tu español está bien fino!!!!.......here a test.....how do you say "gasoline" in Uruguay and Argentina????......:-D