Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 03:22 PM   #646
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by lualca View Post
Yet (try to explain that word in Spanish ) I think your super sherpa is the tool for the job. Just sayin'.

Yet can have to meanings in spanish, if you used it refering to time:" todavia", but in this case refering to an alternative: "sin embargo"
hope it helps
Hola lualca,

It helps me. Muchas gracias. Glad to have someone along who knows some Spanish. No entiendo mucho Español todavia.

Saludos mi amigo,
Juanito
Old 11-25-2012, 05:18 PM   #647
Panama
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Thanks

John,
Thanks for the great report. I was glued to your last report to Panama 2 yrs ago and have made it my routine to check this report daily. I plan on using it as my travel guide south in the up coming months. Sent a few bucks your way!
Thanks for taking the time to do such a great write up with pictures and GPS coordinates.

- Blake
Panama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:12 PM   #648
rtwpaul
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,712
John

sounds like you are close to Belize now, here's a place off the beaten path and he always has space for tents, 12 acres of space i think

after crossing the border, stop in and see Mick at crookedtreelodgebelize.com, he's five miles up a dirt road, and not far from Lamani Ruins, he'll let you camp by the lagoon in his yard...BTW just ride by the guys who try to get you for an entry fee into the village just after the dirt crossing over the lagoon (you'll know what i mean when you get there), they'll be on the right, just don't stop they'll be too drunk to follow you

rtwpaul
rtwpaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:59 PM   #649
ratdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Diversion away. I've been out in the jungle finding more ruins. Somebody has to keep this thread going while I'm wandering around getting lost.

I've never been to Belize. Always have skipped the Yucatan and Belize. So probably time to stop by and see what's there. My bike doesn't use much gas and it's a small country so why not?

You have good ideas, like not selling Katie Em. Glad you're following this report.

Saludos,
Juanito
John, from what I've heard from gringo locals down there, one of the coolest more recently discovered ruins sites is Ek' Balam - not on most maps - 120km NW of Tulum, north of Valladolid at about 20.9N, 88.1W. Supposedly some of the best preserved carvings throughout the Mayan Empire. Pics I've seen have been pretty spectacular; however the site is not completely excavated yet.

FWIW, we'll be exploring it in March.

Ratdog
ratdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:16 AM   #650
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama View Post
John,
Thanks for the great report. I was glued to your last report to Panama 2 yrs ago and have made it my routine to check this report daily. I plan on using it as my travel guide south in the up coming months. Sent a few bucks your way!
Thanks for taking the time to do such a great write up with pictures and GPS coordinates.

- Blake
Hi Blake,

Thanks so much! It's about time I get to write Panama on the gas tank. That is where I'm headed, after all, to catch the cheap seats to Colombia.

Glad you are enjoying the ride and I hope you find some ideas useful for your next adventure.

Saludos,
Juanito

JDowns screwed with this post 11-26-2012 at 02:34 AM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:23 AM   #651
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
John

sounds like you are close to Belize now, here's a place off the beaten path and he always has space for tents, 12 acres of space i think

after crossing the border, stop in and see Mick at crookedtreelodgebelize.com, he's five miles up a dirt road, and not far from Lamani Ruins, he'll let you camp by the lagoon in his yard...BTW just ride by the guys who try to get you for an entry fee into the village just after the dirt crossing over the lagoon (you'll know what i mean when you get there), they'll be on the right, just don't stop they'll be too drunk to follow you

rtwpaul
Hola Paolo,

Thanks for the tip. Lagoon at Mick's place sounds right up my alley.

Still following your ride report. I was hoping I might even see you this lifetime. Even with you hangin' in Nica for a week on the beach I still don't seem to be gaining on you.

If you are in Costa Rica make sure to stop by and visit Rancho Diandrew near Uvita and kick back in the waterfalls. I think you'd like it. Muy tranquillo y barato.

Have fun!
Juanboy
Old 11-26-2012, 02:31 AM   #652
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdog View Post
John, from what I've heard from gringo locals down there, one of the coolest more recently discovered ruins sites is Ek' Balam - not on most maps - 120km NW of Tulum, north of Valladolid at about 20.9N, 88.1W. Supposedly some of the best preserved carvings throughout the Mayan Empire. Pics I've seen have been pretty spectacular; however the site is not completely excavated yet.

FWIW, we'll be exploring it in March.

Ratdog
Hi Ratdog,

Well now. I can't pass up Ek' Balam now can I. That sounds like my kind of place. I'm hanging in the parking lot at the hotel down the street from Tulum Ruinas even as I type, waiting for sunrise. So I should be in Ek' Balam by this evening. Stay tuned for pics and stories of meeting with the Ek'Balamese people later today or tomorrow as soon as I figure out where it is.

And I thought I was heading to Chichen Itza this afternoon. What do I know? Crowd sourced ADVriding turns out to be more fun than anything I could come up with. You guys have some great ideas.

Saludos,
Juandog
Old 11-26-2012, 03:02 AM   #653
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

When I last left off it was time to head out and find a place to spend the night south of Tulum. So I headed down the road towards Punta Allen. The road is paved for the first few miles and stacked with resort spas, Yoga retreat centers and expensive looking hotels some with signs saying 95 bucks and up in English.

No thanks. So I kept riding. It was dark out by now. The road turned to dirt and followed the narrow peninsula down, down, down. After a bridge a few miles it had been carpet bombed with potholes and rock gardens that were actually fun to weave around in the moonlight. I didn't see anything promising because the high tide line looked like it came up pretty far and the road dropped off. And I didn't want to set up a tent in a wide spot in the road. Here's the road down towards Punta Allen:

So I kept riding. I wasn't finding anything. Lots of gates with propriedad privada and I certainly don't want to camp on private property. A sign said 16 KM to Punta Allen and I didn't feel like riding 10 more miles through potholes in the dark. Finally I came to a gnarly section with a gap through the fan palms off to the right so I shot the gap and paddled off the road into the bush weaving through the tree trunks until the front tire hit a stump and couldn't go any farther. Maybe fifty feet off the road at:

N 19º 55.695'
W 87º 26.868'

I don't think I'd recommend this spot for a bigger bike that you couldn't easily muscle around to get pointed back out.

This is looking into the underbrush from about halfway back from the road after I covered the bike with dead fan palm leaves. You can see the tent if you squint:

here it is last night in the dark closer in:

You couldn't see it from the road in the moonlight and I figured the people would be concentrating on missing the boulders in the road anyway, so wouldn't be looking sideways even if it got light. I covered my tracks with palm leaves so you couldn't see a trace from the road.

The lengths I go to just to save twenty or thirty bucks. But it was pleasant sleeping under the moonlight with just the crickets to keep me company and the fan palm leaves rustling in the wind. There was movement in the leaves shortly after I got in the tent. It sounded like a rodent coming my way and I growled but it kept coming closer so I shone my flashlight and it was a land crab. He quickly scurried back into the palms. That was my only visitor as it turns out. The boogeyman didn't get me and I'll live to ride another day. There were a couple 4wd trucks that came by from 8 to 9 and that was it for the night.

Of course when I go to sleep at 9 I wake up 6 hours later. So now it is 3AM and I am typing this up under the stars. When I took a GPS reading it showed I am still on the fat part of the peninsula and I can hear the waves breaking far off in the distance. Pretty peaceful out here.

I packed up and rode north to see about getting some sunrise shots at Tulum and am now sitting in the hotel parking lot down the street from the ruins at a picnic table catching some wifi so I can post this.

Buenos noches,
Juanito

JDowns screwed with this post 11-26-2012 at 03:29 AM
Old 11-26-2012, 03:38 AM   #654
Red Zebra
Signal 3

Oddometer: 308
Awesome trip pics and write-up!
Old 11-26-2012, 07:02 AM   #655
KiloBravo
Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer: 534
Subscribed !!
Enjoying your RR, I spent last Christmas at Tulum and the beach bar just before the entrance, beautiful place.
Took awhile to finally catch up, very cool travel and writing style !!
KiloBravo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:25 AM   #656
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,108
Guess I should have warned you about the resorts. There was a small hippy type, Gilligan's Island-ish place I stayed when down there. I can't really remember....... Xbalamque I think. it was cheap... ish. I had no camping gear with me down there. I see you are doing just fine

You see I donated a tank or two of gas for you $$ ; thanks for the whitty, and insightful play by plays. Winter is setting in, in earnest now, so here I sit... You Da Man!

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:35 PM   #657
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Tulum ruins doesn't open until 8AM. So as the sun was coming up I walked down the beach:

and decided to take the back entrance down past the end of the beach:

this 100 yards around the bend was the only tricky part:

sunrise from the cliffs on the way to Tulum:

rounded the cliff and saw some ruins. Mayan? I think not:

It is a beautiful setting and well worth visiting. Especially with no people around. The ruins look great from a distance:

But alas, up close I saw no Mayan stone masonry. This place was similar to Monte Alban:

But hey, it was a beautiful morning and a great hike up the cliffs to have a look see:

So I walked back up the beach to the hotel where I parked the bike:

and tried to upload photos, but the laptop battery was in the red, so I headed out to see about visiting Ek Balam and Chichen Itza ruins.

I will upload pics and stories of Ek Balam and Chichen Itza when I get a chance. While I was in the parking lot at Chichen Itza talking to a bus driver he invited me to stay at his house tonight over north of Tulum. He told me, no need to camp in the bushes. Really nice guy. Has a mille ciento (1100) Yamaha. Should be fun. So gotta book, it's 120 miles east of here. He won't be off his shift until 8PM and he scribbled a nice map on a piece of paper. I'll have Luis Avilez sign the tank as my latest sponsor. If I can find Ek Balam I should be able to find Luis's casa.

More later….

Buenos tardes,
Juan

JDowns screwed with this post 11-27-2012 at 01:58 PM
Old 11-26-2012, 02:46 PM   #658
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloBravo View Post
Subscribed !!
Enjoying your RR, I spent last Christmas at Tulum and the beach bar just before the entrance, beautiful place.
Took awhile to finally catch up, very cool travel and writing style !!
Hi KiloBravo,

I walked past that bar on the beach this morning. What a great place to hang out. It really is a stunning setting.

Kindest regards,
John Downs
Old 11-26-2012, 02:47 PM   #659
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Zebra View Post
Awesome trip pics and write-up!
Hi Red Zebra,

Glad you are enjoying traveling along.

Best,
John Downs
Old 11-26-2012, 02:49 PM   #660
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam View Post
Guess I should have warned you about the resorts. There was a small hippy type, Gilligan's Island-ish place I stayed when down there. I can't really remember....... Xbalamque I think. it was cheap... ish. I had no camping gear with me down there. I see you are doing just fine

You see I donated a tank or two of gas for you $$ ; thanks for the whitty, and insightful play by plays. Winter is setting in, in earnest now, so here I sit... You Da Man!
Hola,

Thanks so much for the gas donation. Really appreciate it. Idahosam goes on the tank. As Executive travel co-ordinator I am relying on your expertise in finding the cool places to go.

Muchas gracias,
Juanito