Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 08:51 AM   #796
ratbikemike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Well. Good deal. All is so much better than it damn well might have been. Glad you made it through a day of focused 'guatemalan' style riding and a party was had. Really glad to know that the hospital is up to par. It is not easy to mangle a truck and hobble away a few days later. Glad everybody is ok and/or repairable. ratbikemike
ratbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:05 AM   #797
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
It's a beautiful morning in El Salvador. Not a cloud in the sky. Had fun last night hanging out with everyone. And having fun with photos of Justin:

Love it.

Sorry to hear about the biff.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:48 AM   #798
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,956
John, so awesome that you went to El Salvador for the hospital room adv rally.

I'm sure with that drip of Motorex 4T syth, Justin will be up and around in no time.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:56 AM   #799
Habibi Rocks
Banned

Oddometer: 58
Bravo Justin Bravo !!!!!!!
Thanks John for the report.
Habibi Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:25 AM   #800
rtwpaul
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,572
kudos for the hospital visit...this is such a great community that way

just bumped into a guy who you may want to get in touch with so i PM'd you his contact details

********a guy just rolled into Panama who did a cargo ship delivering goods crossing the darien gap from columbia to panama and he said the ship runs bikes both ways and it cost $320 for the boat, you, bike and food...but he did have to take a few minor speed boats to do his passport
rtwpaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:31 AM   #801
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,546
After Justin's Mom and Dad arrived from the airport it was time to saddle up and head out. Bryce had the GPS waypoints for Mario's moto shop down in San Salvador, the capital of El Salvador.

We headed out from the Centro Medico Ahuachutan hospital on a nice afternoon ride down smooth paved roads under clear blue skies and arrived here:

The Motorider shop has everything you need for your bike. Heidenau tires, tubes, filters, oil. A Heidenau front is $120.00 and rear is $168.00 down here in sizes for a KLR. Just so you know. I bought a cheap Chinese Shinko rear two years ago in Panama and it was 90.00. Tires are expensive in Central America. I bought a heavy duty Heidenau tube though. This thing is beefy. I will pit that tube against my rear tire if the tube in there goes flat. Here is the open air shop:

Mario in the center with Stan from Scotland who is riding to South America on a KLR overseeing Bryce as he changes the oil on his XR650L:

Mario's guys fixed my leaking oil filter cover. I had him sign my gas tank. Bryce changed his oil, and got some new front brake pads:

And then Stan, Bryce and I followed Mario up to his coffee farm just outside of town up in the hills which is where I am at now. Very peaceful place.

Mario has a nice getaway house up here.I like the open air lanai he built. Really well thought out for the tropics. Steel post and beam frame, cement and tile floor and fibre cemiento (fiber cement) corrugated roof:

This thing is built to last. And check out this cool BBQ Mario built. Concrete pipe cut in half with a custom fabricated steel air intake, steel wagon wheel frame top with cement and marble tile top and custom grill insert. Bryce loaded it up with charcoal and this thing draws to perfection. Brilliant design:

Soon Mario and his lovely wife Fernanda returned with chorizo for the BBQ and pan (bread) for a delicious meal. And let me tell you Mario had us laughing with his jokes. He's a funny guy. He and Fernanda had many stories about Crashmaster as well. It seems he leaves a good impression and is a memorable guy.

Really nice evening hanging out with those two. Mario is a top notch guy. And the fact that he headed over with Stan to pick up Justin's bike and make sure everything was okay in Ahuachupan yesterday is commendable to say the least.

And while I'm on the subject of commendable, let me just say that Bryce handled the whole: Justin wreck; triage; pinche camionetta owner payoff; get him to the hospital; make sure everything was okay; pay off the cops and get Justin's bike out of police impound affair with a speed and efficiency that few can appreciate. I, for one, understand the superhuman effort involved to stay calm and handle a situation like this quickly and efficiently. When they talk about the few, the proud, the Marines, Bryce comes to mind. If you ever see this guy down the road, buy him a beer and let him know. I can think of nobody better to have your back than this man.

There's no internet out here so I'll probably post this tomorrow. Mario and Stan are coming by at 7:30AM for a ride up to a volcano. And then it is time for Stan and Bryce to head on down to Panama to catch a boat. It's hard to believe I was in Flores, Guatemala yesterday. What a difference a day can make when you're a motorcycle vagabond.

I spent $29.50 today on a tube and food . They use U.S. currency here so it's easier for me to keep track. Not sure where I'll go tomorrow after the volcano. I'll figure that out later.

Saludos,
Juanito
Old 12-07-2012, 07:46 AM   #802
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Hey you got to stay at the finca! Love that place. Mario and Fernanda are top shelf folks, really good people, like family.

Yeah, they have quite a few stories about me. Thinking about riding down there again this spring to see them, Julio and Luisa in Guate.

Between going to Alemania, and planning to ride down to CA again, work is really getting in the way of things. Maybe I need to re-think that whole work thing once more? Man I really miss the moto vagabond lifestyle. A bit different and way more fun than the pilot vagabond gig. I need save cash and make it happen again, and start studying Russian.

Your report is bringing back great memories of my couple of years on the road. Well done Juanito.

crashmaster screwed with this post 12-07-2012 at 08:22 AM
Old 12-07-2012, 08:12 AM   #803
bESS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
John:

You're a good guy for checking in on Justin and thanks for letting us all know that he is okay

bob

current RR --> click here
bESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:30 AM   #804
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratbikemike View Post
Well. Good deal. All is so much better than it damn well might have been. Glad you made it through a day of focused 'guatemalan' style riding and a party was had. Really glad to know that the hospital is up to par. It is not easy to mangle a truck and hobble away a few days later. Glad everybody is ok and/or repairable. ratbikemike
Hi ratbikemike,

Are you still over in Antigua? I think I'll head over there and relax for a day or two. Pretty intense couple of days requires some R&R.

Everything worked out as well as can be expected. But as anyone who has biffed and wrecked their bike knows, a friendly face and a helping hand and some money goes a long way towards easing the pain. Life goes on and Justin is young and will heal up to ride another day.

Maybe see you over in Guatemala for a ratbike rally.

Best,
Juan Salvador
Old 12-07-2012, 08:35 AM   #805
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
Hey you got to stay at the finca! Love that place. Mario and Fernanda are top shelf folks, really good people, like family.

Yeah, they have quite a few stories about me. Thinking about riding down there again this spring to see them, Julio and Luisa in Guate.

Between going to Alemania, and planning to ride down to CA again, work is really getting in the way of things. Maybe I need to re-think that whole work thing once more? Man I really miss the moto vagabond lifestyle. A bit different and way more fun than the pilot vagabond gig. I need save cash and make it happen again, and start studying Russian.

Your report is bringing back great memories of my couple of years on the road. Well done Juanito.
It's my job to get you out on the road again. The ADVworld needs another Crashmaster ride report.

And yes, you need to get back down here and visit your moto family. Mario is your brother from a different mother after all.

Saludos,
Juan Salvador
Old 12-07-2012, 08:36 AM   #806
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
kudos for the hospital visit...this is such a great community that way

just bumped into a guy who you may want to get in touch with so i PM'd you his contact details

********a guy just rolled into Panama who did a cargo ship delivering goods crossing the darien gap from columbia to panama and he said the ship runs bikes both ways and it cost $320 for the boat, you, bike and food...but he did have to take a few minor speed boats to do his passport
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the info. I'll email him and see what the word is. Enjoy your time in the Kuna Yala. Happy sailing.

Saludos,
Juanito
Old 12-07-2012, 09:19 AM   #807
Ed Zachtamundo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Thanks.

Thanks John. I can't adequately thank you for coming so far just to say hi. I'm feeling a little better each day, and it looks like I should be stateside sometime this week.

Oh yeah, and Vince- if you want some company, I'm thinking Sept 2013 to finish hammering this thing out. Wouldn't be right to just leave it.
Ed Zachtamundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:31 AM   #808
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Zachtamundo View Post
Oh yeah, and Vince- if you want some company, I'm thinking Sept 2013 to finish hammering this thing out. Wouldn't be right to just leave it.
Sounds good to me. I have an October vacation, so maybe I'll run point for you through Mexico. I've got lots of lights to scare off the trucks.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:35 AM   #809
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,585
If I don't get a job soon I may head back down with you.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:23 AM   #810
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,082
If I don't get a job either I'll be Mark's mechanic.

And I'm not a mechanic
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote