User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2012, 09:14 AM   #886
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 750
Hola John
Enjoyed the report from San Marcos, this is where I stayed for a month with Habitat for Humanity.
On the weekends we would visit Balneario La Castalia hot springs for a soak and a few beers in the hot pools.
There is a 25ft.natural water fall with hot water!
Saludos y dice que Hola a Julio y Luisa de Cal
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:01 AM   #887
Scootard
Twist-n-Go

Oddometer: 233
Another Hanger On

Hola Juan:
Just wanted to know I found your thread following Gene and Neda, and I'm all the way in from the beginning, instead of jumping in mid-thread. I'll be the one clinging to your swingarm and enjoying the view.....
Old 12-14-2012, 10:36 AM   #888
CaptUglyDan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Sherpa on your tail

Hi John, Been reading your report since it inception, I too am riding a Sherpa south, weird but i was changing the oil on mine the same day as you but in Mazatlan, In Puerto Vallarta till tomorrow then down 200 to Manzanillos and points south. Great report, and thanks for the inspiration!
CaptUglyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:01 AM   #889
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Hola John
Enjoyed the report from San Marcos, this is where I stayed for a month with Habitat for Humanity.
On the weekends we would visit Balneario La Castalia hot springs for a soak and a few beers in the hot pools.
There is a 25ft.natural water fall with hot water!
Saludos y dice que Hola a Julio y Luisa de Cal
Hi Cal,

I really enjoyed traveling through the area north of San Marcos. I would be all in building houses in that area for Habitat for Humanity. I'll have to look into it. It's right up my alley.

So many friendly locals out in that area. I stopped and talked to some. Some came up and shook my hand. And one campesino wanted to know if I would sell him the Palenque mask on the number plate. I told him I needed it for the bike to work right.

And yes I will give my best to Julio and Luisa if I can track them down.

Saludos,
Juanito
Old 12-14-2012, 11:05 AM   #890
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptUglyDan View Post
Hi John, Been reading your report since it inception, I too am riding a Sherpa south, weird but i was changing the oil on mine the same day as you but in Mazatlan, In Puerto Vallarta till tomorrow then down 200 to Manzanillos and points south. Great report, and thanks for the inspiration!
Hi CaptUglyDan,

Pushing 30,000 on mine with routine maintenance. Hope to see you down the road.

Of course you changed your oil the same day as I did. All Sherpas must change their oil on 12/12/12. It's written in the Tibetan book of the dead.

Kindest regards,
John Downs
Old 12-14-2012, 11:08 AM   #891
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootard View Post
Hola Juan:
Just wanted to know I found your thread following Gene and Neda, and I'm all the way in from the beginning, instead of jumping in mid-thread. I'll be the one clinging to your swingarm and enjoying the view.....
Hi Scootard,

I got hungry checking out your blog. Glad to have you along for the ride.

Best,
John Downs
Old 12-14-2012, 11:20 AM   #892
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Another month has passed and time for the monthly finance report. This afternoon I'm waiting to go to the dentist, so took the time to add up what I've spent and donations from paypal.

Tooth repair and rider down donations don't count since that was a personal thing and you wouldn't likely have those expenses.

For food, gas, lodging, bike stuff and border crossings after today is right around 1100.00 since the 15th of November. I still think 1500.00 a month is a comfortable amount to plan on if you stay in cheap hotels. I could have saved maybe 2-300 on accommodation if I hadn't been looking for wifi and camped more. Anybody who spends less than 900.00/month is looking at spending a lot of days hanging out in a tent and not riding much.

Paypal donations totaled 642.20 which includes the few percent paypal deducts for their commission. That's 640.00 more than I expected after reporting in last month's total. I'm donating 10% or 64.22 to ADVrider.

After visiting Justin in the hospital over in El Salvador, I think it would be wise for you to set up a paypal account whether or not you want gas donations. If the shit hits the fan and you are in a bind, ADVrider brotherhood/sisterhood will bail you out. As it was it took some time to set up an account for Justin and time for paypal to transfer funds to his account. It is a quick way for ADVriders as well as friends and family to help you out.

Your donations have allowed me to take a bit more time in Mexico and Guatemala than I had thought possible. I am going to have to speed things up a bit and make my way south. As always, I will ride this pony until the money runs out. Should be fun to see where this story ends up. So far, it has been the best ride of my life in no small part due to you readers. Great suggestions, fun out of the way places to check out, and gas money to keep this up.

To one and all, Thank you!

Kindest regards,
John Downs
Old 12-14-2012, 01:04 PM   #893
GuateRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hola Julio,

I would like nothing better than to finally meet you and your lovely wife and personally shake your hand for all the wonderful Guat riding suggestions. No need to buy me dinner.

Alas, the power went out last night in Huehue and I am just now reading this in Xela. Left at first light to come to my dentist appointment. The crown for my poor tooth won't be ready until 3:30 PM.

Maybe tomorrow or the next day. Name a time and place and I'll be there.

Saludos,
Juan Corona

Hope the crown fits.
We will be here in the Unicornio Azul. http://www.unicornioazul.com/. Until Sunday morning and if you make it here, it will be a honor inviting you for dinner
Old 12-14-2012, 02:16 PM   #894
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuateRider View Post
Hope the crown fits.
We will be here in the Unicornio Azul. http://www.unicornioazul.com/. Until Sunday morning and if you make it here, it will be a honor inviting you for dinner
I have been crowned and will be heading up to Todos Santos tomorrow. Look forward to meeting you and Luisa.

Saludos,
El Rey
Old 12-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #895
PDX Alamo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Laugh Great RR

Feliz Navidad sir you got mail !!! Wish I was riding there myself, looking to do the same just need to figure out how to take a leave of absence from work and convince my lady to hop on the back :)
PDX Alamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:12 PM   #896
quattroman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX Alamo View Post
Feliz Navidad sir you got mail !!! Wish I was riding there myself, looking to do the same just need to figure out how to take a leave of absence from work and convince my lady to hop on the back :)
Ditto

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamchat
...it's not how long you last that counts, but how much 'living' you manage to cram into life before the inevitable.
quattroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:27 PM   #897
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX Alamo View Post
Hi PDX Alamo,

December 14th is now officially Oregon day for gas donations. First Chipseal and now PDX Alamo will now grace the side of the Sherpa tank as proud sponsors of the Zombie Apocalypse ride for freedom.

Most people have two weeks or so each year. I used to have to ride to Guatemala and back from Oregon in 2 weeks so I could be back to work. The scenery was a lot blurrier back in those days.

Plenty of great places to ride in Oregon. Alas, not in December. But where there's a will and all that.

In the meantime, keep the faith. Your day will come. Glad to have you along for the ride.

Kindest regards,
John Downs
Old 12-14-2012, 03:30 PM   #898
GuateRider
Beastly Adventurer

Thumb

Quote:
I have been crowned and will be heading up to Todos Santos tomorrow. Look forward to meeting you and Luisa.

Saludos,
El Rey

Unicornio is before you get to Todos Santos ; did you see how to get there ? If you have a GPS , I can send you the coordinates . I'll PM you my Guate cel phone # if you need any instructions .
On the way up the mountains there is a mirador that you should not miss; from there you can see the volcanoes from Atitlan,Xela and San Marcos .

Hasta la vista !

Julio
Old 12-14-2012, 03:37 PM   #899
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuateRider View Post
Unicornio is before you get to Todos Santos ; did you see how to get there ? If you have a GPS , I can send you the coordinates . I'll PM you my Guate cel phone # if you need any instructions .
On the way up the mountains there is a mirador that you should not miss; from there you can see the volcanoes from Atitlan,Xela and San Marcos .

Hasta la vista !

Julio
The directions I found are:

Desde Huehuetenango hacia la sierra los Cuchumatanes, pasa por el Mirador Juan Diequez Olaverri hasta llegar a una gasolinera. Cruzar a la derecha a unos 7km. No se necesita 4x4.

GPS waypoint can't hurt.

I'll find it. I need to go horseback riding. Or blue unicorn riding.

See you tomorrow.

Best,
John
Old 12-14-2012, 04:02 PM   #900
GuateRider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The directions I found are:

Desde Huehuetenango hacia la sierra los Cuchumatanes, pasa por el Mirador Juan Diequez Olaverri hasta llegar a una gasolinera. Cruzar a la derecha a unos 7km. No se necesita 4x4.

GPS waypoint can't hurt.

I'll find it. I need to go horseback riding. Or blue unicorn riding.

See you tomorrow.

Best,
John

N 1523.562'
W09122.803'

3060m