Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuateRider View Post
N 15•23.562'
W091•22.803'

3060m
Perfecto.

I think I'll be there early afternoon. If you're still sleeping, I'll go out horseback riding. Look forward to visiting with you guys.

Hasta mañana,
John
Old 12-15-2012, 04:52 AM   #902
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

It's dawn in the mountains here in Guatemala. Currently -1ºC so about 30ºF. Anyone who thinks they don't need warm clothing riding in the mountains in winter in Mexico and Guatemala is mistaken.

Once the sun rises, the temps climb quickly into the 40s and 50s by mid-morning. With a tee shirt, down jacket and riding jacket on top and long underwear, jeans and riding pants on the bottom it is comfortable riding on a naked bike once the sun is up a ways. By noon it's time to ditch the warm underlayers.

This only applies in the mountains above 6-7000 feet. Down on the coast and lower elevations you will be sweating like a pig even in winter.

People have asked about dental work here. I'm no expert. I don't have insurance and can't afford American prices so it works for me. I looked into getting my teeth cleaned and it wasn't much less than getting a crown down here. I don't even know what it would cost in the U.S. but I imagine it's significantly more than 1200 quetzals ($156.00).

This is where I went:

and looking down the street for context:

the first thing you see when you walk in is the reception desk:

Mario went to Dentistry school in Alabama and speaks perfect English, but his staff is Spanish speaking. No need for an appointment. Both times I went, I rode up walked in and he was working on my teeth within a half hour. He's a gentle man, but quick and efficient.

I'm just reporting back my experience. I didn't discover Mario. I was reading a ride report just like you. Drrags Bug Murderers South America ride report. He's the one that deserves the credit for finding this guy. I just showed up twice and am a satisfied customer.

GPS waypoint:

N 14º 50.166' W 91º 31.260'

Or hop in a cab and give the taxista this address:

Mario Recinos
15 Avenida A, 3-37, Zona 1, Xela, Guatemala

Tel: (502) 7765-2070

Saludos,
Juanito
Old 12-15-2012, 09:59 AM   #903
yokesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
OK ,Thanks,I now have a Dentist in Guatemala, but I need one in SOCAL any suggestions,tooth aching for a week and no one wants to take someone without insurance.
yokesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:14 AM   #904
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokesman View Post
OK ,Thanks,I now have a Dentist in Guatemala, but I need one in SOCAL any suggestions,tooth aching for a week and no one wants to take someone without insurance.
Sam Dental in Tijuana
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:14 AM   #905
adventurebound9517
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
[QUOTE=yokesman;20255216]OK ,Thanks,I now have a Dentist in Guatemala, but I need one in SOCAL any suggestions,tooth aching for a week and no one wants to take someone without insurance.[/QUOTE

You might look into Algodones Mexico. A lot of people go there as well as the Canadian snow birds. Here is a Dentist that was highly recommended to me but I have no personal experience with him.

Carlos Rubio www.drrubio.com.mx

I hope this helps.
adventurebound9517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:32 AM   #906
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,382
Dental Felix in Mexicali.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:16 PM   #907
Chiriqui Charlie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
John, you mentioned that you have just a base map. Do yourself, download CenRut (free and fantastic!)

I made it to San Juan del Sur Nicaragua, and love it so much I decided to stay a couple days! Don't miss it.

I don't know how far I will get, money seems to be disappearing quicker than anticipated.
Chiriqui Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:24 PM   #908
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Left Xela this morning after it warmed up a bit and wound up into the mountains behind Huehuetenango on this road that rose 4000 vertical fee up to a mirador (overlook) . This is the view back down at the switchbacks and valley below:

Past the mirador a short way there was a gravel road cutting off the way:

that led several kilometers over high mountain valleys:

Until it came to the Unicorio Azul where Julio and Luisa were staying along with their friend from Guatemala city Jean Luc. Here the happy couple are signing the Sherpa gas tank:

Went for a ride out in the countryside with Julio and Jean Luc down some great roads and ended up at a beautiful overlook out in the mountains:

Here are the two compadres de motos:

Came back to the Unicornio Azul and took a hike up through the woods to an overlook:

This is looking back the other way on the way down the hill to the main lodge:

Had a great dinner and shared a room for the night with Jean Luc. Really lucky to have met Julio, Luisa, and Jean Luc. Such great folks.

I spent 317 quetzales ($41.21) on gas, food and lodging today.

Saludos,
Juanito
Old 12-15-2012, 08:52 PM   #909
Landypants
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Great rr

Hey John,

Thanks so much for this RR! I am loving it, very inspiring as this is exactly what i am hoping to do once I graduate (or before then)

What kind of gas mileage are you getting down there? I am thinking of investing in a super sherpa and would love to know real-world results.

Best of luck and stay safe,
Landy
Landypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:03 AM   #910
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokesman View Post
Find a dental school.My story: Several years ago I was told a tooth wasn't suitable for repair. I don't know why, because the only things that happened to it were run into a baseball fence trying to catch a home run(concussion &upper lip sewed up too) & later hit in the same place with an army helo jack.
So I go to another dentist hoping for more "porcelain/white fillings & he says my dentist is correct, why don't I go to the U. of KY dental school & save money. I've been going for some years now & have had(I'm 69 so teeth from pre flouride/war baby generation) 7 crowns,1 implant, several fillings & several cleanings. Every step must be approved before & after by a professor & it is much slower than a street dentist but the prices I pay are similar to what you see by JDowns in GT, at least if you factor in the logistics. I pay like,e.g., $275 for a crown with white porcelain facing & ~$65 for cleaning. I have never been dissatisfied there & also enjoy the relationship with the students being a retired educator. A plus is some are flat out beautiful! My current is from Albania. I've had one from Iran,one from Utah, one from KY(best looking!-you've heard fast horses& beautiful women, well it's true) & one an ex-fb player from CA.You see lots of seniors,Hispanics & faculty & students getting their work done there, not many from work world.
Now back to GT-where I'll be next month...
BTW,Why buy a MC for gas mileage ?
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:53 AM   #911
ex_MGB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Keep on, keep on!

Thanks for the excellent ride report. I just paypal'ed another day or so of funds. As an ex backpacker, bicycle tourer and sea kayaker I appreciate your minimalistic approach. I own a Honda Helix and CBR250R and both go plenty fast for me. Have you ever thought you needed more bike? I'm looking at a Honda CRF250L.

John Duryea
ex_MGB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:17 AM   #912
aDave
Lovin' Life!

Oddometer: 184
I have finally caught up. Wonderful report of an outstanding trip. Love your easy going style. I really appreciate your take on the different stone work...you have increased my knowledge base. Will try to be patient for your updates. Merry Christmas.

Dave

Pacifism is a luxury of the defended.
aDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:53 PM   #913
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Hiked up to the top of the hill this morning to catch the sunrise. It was silent except for the wind in the trees. The volcanos of Lake Atitlan are in the distance rising above a sea of clouds just before sunrise:

Three Guatamaltecos from Xela arrived with a couple trials bikes. Two Montessas with 350 Honda motors and a Sherco They'll be having fun today rockhopping I imagine:

Here are the bikes waiting to go early this morning:

This place is a rustic mountain equestrian (horseback riding) retreat with a Spanish colonial flair:

The horse barn across the way as it catches the first rays of sun:

And the valley at dawn:

I will head east and Julio, Luisa and Jean Luc will head west. Julio has showed me a fun backroad to Quiche and I will head out when the sun gets higher in the sky.

This place reminds me very much of Eastern Oregon, with junipers, pine trees, dry grass and volcanic rock outcroppings. It is very stark, beautiful and serene. I could spend many days riding the back roads out here. But alas, I must head to Honduras soon.

more later…..
Old 12-16-2012, 01:31 PM   #914
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

The three amigos getting ready to leave this morning after breakfast and coffee. Julio, Luisa and Jean Luc. Great ADVcompadres! :

Headed west on a jeep trail Julio suggested:

It was steep and rocky for the first part. Not sure if I would take a large loaded bike down this trail. It's much steeper than it looks. As you know, it is almost impossible to show steepness looking back uphill. I had to use trailing rear brake with 1st gear to keep the speed down:

and look ahead for a line through the rain ruts and crude bridges:

This section was very steep and the rain ruts had been filled with fist to cantelope sized rocks. I felt lucky to make it through:

Dropped several thousand vertical feet through switchbacks and finally arrived at a paved road. Wow! There is nothing smoother after bouncing down rocky switchbacks:

town of Aguacatun:

Once again today, I owe Julio bigtime for showing me a fun route through the mountains:

the road from Quiche to Chichicastenango was nothing but switchbacks going up and down mountains to valleys:

Until I came to the main gate at Chichicastenango:

I think it's market day. The streets are packed with vendors. Sort of like a Mayan swap meet. If you need colorful kids clothes:

belts:

bags:

shawls:

or fun colorful hats:

this is the place to come:

I am a minimalist and don't need anything. But it was fun to walk the streets through the crowds and check out the action. I am at an internet cafe in Chichi on a really slow connection. The laptop battery needed charging so I took the time to write this up. Can't respond to anyone yet. Not sure where I'm heading next. I'll have to look at the notes I scribbled on paper back in the panniers. Another great backroad to Antigua I think.

I am meeting Julio for pancakes at Las Macadamias at 8AM tomorrow morning. So hopefully I make it close.

Gotta go…..
Old 12-16-2012, 01:46 PM   #915
Voidrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
This place reminds me very much of Eastern Oregon, with junipers, pine trees, dry grass and volcanic rock outcroppings. It is very stark, beautiful and serene.
Damned straight! The pic you took looking back at the main lodge and valley at dawn made me wonder if you snuck up around Bly, Oregon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKantuckid View Post
BTW,Why buy a MC for gas mileage ?
Why not? If I pay less per mile for fuel, then I can ride more miles on the same buck!
Voidrider is offline   Reply With Quote