Old 12-18-2012, 04:09 PM   #946
Dirt2007
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahCapt View Post
Thou shalt not Facebook.
I agree.

Enjoying following along on your trip. Oh, and how is the ZATC t-shirt surviving Central America?
Old 12-18-2012, 05:06 PM   #947
Dracula
Deus ex machina

Oddometer: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuateRider View Post
Add me to this list as well !!! Not only against my religion but also because I do not want to cooperate with big brother watching me
+1 Though I confess having a fake FB account for its minor benefits handing over one's private life on a silver platter is a personal decision which hopefully will stay that way. I am not only enjoying and learning from John's novel expedition but also admiring his way of life and hope one day to become as free.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:24 PM   #948
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt2007 View Post
I agree.

Enjoying following along on your trip. Oh, and how is the ZATC t-shirt surviving Central America?
Hi Rich,

Glad you're still hanging in there for this saga.

Alas, the Zombie Tee got so gross I tossed it. White is not a color that travels well with me. I liked that shirt too. It hung in there for a couple months through heavy abuse. Used it as a rag on the last oil change in northern Guatemala and laid it to rest with honors.

Next year I'm in for a black one. Look forward to seeing you Oklahoma boys again.

Best,
Nebraska John
Old 12-18-2012, 05:31 PM   #949
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
+1 Though I confess having a fake FB account for its minor benefits handing over one's private life on a silver platter is a personal decision which hopefully will stay that way. I am not only enjoying and learning from John's novel expedition but also admiring his way of life and hope one day to become as free.
A fake Dracula Facebook account somehow sounds appropriate.

Soon you'll be singing along to this as you're riding down here:

Saludos,
Juan Libre (Cuba's brother)
Old 12-18-2012, 06:27 PM   #950
Dracula
Deus ex machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
A fake Dracula Facebook account somehow sounds appropriate.

Soon you'll be singing along to this as you're riding down here:

Saludos,
Juan Libre (Cuba's brother)
Really like Sting and you Sir have a talent with life and people. No wonder you get so far on little resources yet the experience is most awesome there can be, this is a gift. It only comes to those with "True colors" as she sang it. Finding and being who you really are. Hope you report from the Stahl Ratte if they are still around when you get there.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:36 PM   #951
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Really like Sting and you Sir have a talent with life and people. No wonder you get so far on little resources yet the experience is most awesome there can be, this is a gift. It only comes to those with "True colors" as she sang it. Finding and being who you really are. Hope you report from the Stahl Ratte if they are still around when you get there.
Hi Count,

Stahlratte is too rich for my blood. I'll be looking for cheaper transport. We'll see how that works out.

Siempre,
Juan Libre
Old 12-18-2012, 06:41 PM   #952
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

The weather has cleared out further south and the forecast looks sunny. It's time to head to the mountains of Honduras and Nicaragua.

I'm meeting ADVrider Cousteau in Guatemala City tomorrow for a visit and then off to the Copan Ruinas in Honduras. It is an easy border crossing through the interior mountains where it should be cool and nice. I like riding through Guatemala City. It is like a carnival ride. I usually get hopelessly lost. Tomorrow will probably be no different.

This is what Honduran Lempira currency looks like:

and centavo coins. 100 centavos to the Lempira:

The current exchange rate for quetzales is around 2.5 lempiras to the quetzal.

And one U.S. dollar is worth 19.88 lempiras. I just think of lempiras as nickels. They are worth 5 cents more or less. Easy. 100 lempira note is worth 5 bucks. 20 lempira note is a dollar. One of the easier countries to catch on to.

I spent 195 quetzales ($25.35) on food and lodging today.

Buenos noches,
Juanito
Old 12-18-2012, 06:46 PM   #953
Dracula
Deus ex machina

Quote:
Hi Count,

Stahlratte is too rich for my blood. I'll be looking for cheaper transport. We'll see how that works out.

Siempre,
Juan Libre
Hola Juan Libre,

Wonder why they never built a road... sounds so much like 18 Century but then again NYC is almost same, nothing however small changes here without millions of dollares being spent. I didn't imagine cheaper alternatives to crossing Darien gap than spending over 3 or 4 hundred. I'll be following closely the report.

Godspeed and stay safe.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:40 PM   #954
nightflyer
Hors contrôle

Oddometer: 104
bonne année

Thanks for making me feel better, afraid I have to work on getting my wallet fatter then!

Can't wait to see how you are gonna cross the Darien, it was a highlight of my own trip...

BTW, sent you a PM!

Joyeux noël à toi, sois prudent!

Quote:
Mon frère dans l'aventure,

You are the one and only nightflyer Quebequois from Kazak posting on this ride report.

If that doesn't impress the women, you'll have to rely strictly on your good looks and fat wallet.

Joyeux noel et bonne année,
Jean Thomas
Old 12-19-2012, 09:29 AM   #955
bESS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Quote:
John:

+1 another non Facebook user following along daily to make sure you are heading the right way.

thank you for your tile lesson (post #931). I got stuck on photos 1 & 2 and still can't figure out what you said about that diagonal pattern and what it covered. I am guessing that was in a 90 degree corner ?

You are part of my morning reading routine, thank you

bob

current RR --> click here
Old 12-19-2012, 09:44 AM   #956
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by bESS View Post
... (re the) tile lesson (post #931). I got stuck on photos 1 & 2 and still can't figure out what you said about that diagonal pattern and what it covered. I am guessing that was in a 90 degree corner ?
Lay a straightedge along the tiles "above" the diagonal and see where it (does not) line up with the tiles "below" the diagonal.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:02 AM   #957
Chiriqui Charlie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
John, I am currently in Granada, will be in this lovely city for the next few days, would love to buy you a dinner and a tank of gas and get my name on the tank!
Old 12-19-2012, 11:21 AM   #958
Hewby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Hey john. With my delayed timeline now maybe we will meet on the road.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:35 PM   #959
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Rode down the 4 lane freeway from Antigua to Guatemala city this morning:

and found the Gourmet Center:

Inside was a coffee shop where I met ADVrider Cousteau:

He uses his iPad to do business and anyplace with wifi will do. Had some coffee and talked about travel. Cousteau is planning a trip to South America in the spring and we had plenty to talk about.

But soon it was time to head to the parking lot and have him sign the tank:

Somebody walked off with one of my bungees that I left on the Sherpa seat overnight, so Cousteau directed me to the nearest place to buy one. Went to the mall and soon had a new 35 quetzal replacement.

I couldn't leave Guatemala City without getting lost, so I decided to just ride up in the hills and see what was there:

followed signs to Cascada Hermosa Vista. Sounded like a nice place. Turned out to be a small creek. I think the real estate developers up in the hills liked the sound of the name. Anyway tooled around up in the hills where the Porsche, BMW and Mercedes crowd live. Beautiful views of the city:

and lots of security guards giving me stink eye. Lots of razor wire and tall fences and walls. Big houses with beautiful views:

I didn't get a real welcome feeling up here on my little dirt bike taking pictures. Check out this hospital with a rock wall and gun turrets surrounding it:

A lot of paranoid people up in these hills. Probably with good reason. I'd rather live in a place like Bassett where you don't have to lock your door.

Headed back down into the city with the buses:

Had to pull over and take a shot of this building:

Sort of a Picasso cubist Mayan flair to it. Plenty of traffic in downtown area:

It's a vibrant city full of energy. I actually like the place. Stopped at a MacDonalds to catch some wifi but it was out for the day the lady said. So I ate a hamburger and fries and headed out. I must say I do like MacDonald's fries. Here are their delivery bikes out in the parking lot.:

Suzuki GN125's. Good bikes I hear. I like the way they painted the motors Ronald MacDonald yellow.

By the time I left the city it was getting late. Lots of road construction and a stop while this guy rolled boulders down and the dozer cleared the road:

It's dark and I'm downloading pictures and writing this in another MacDonald's parking lot standing at the flipped up rear case. The security guard doesn't quite know what to think of the strange dude standing at the back of his motorcycle typing away on his laptop. Not that I care.

I'm in beautiful downtown Chiquimula (chick-ee-MOOL-uh) and will go find a place for the night. It's dark out. The days are short. The Honduras border is not far. I'll head there tomorrow I imagine.

more later...

JDowns screwed with this post 12-19-2012 at 06:35 PM
Old 12-19-2012, 05:38 PM   #960
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiriqui Charlie View Post
John, I am currently in Granada, will be in this lovely city for the next few days, would love to buy you a dinner and a tank of gas and get my name on the tank!
Hi CC,

Golly. I'm just going to have to book on down to Granada. That's all there is to it. I plan to check out the ruins at Copan tomorrow, but will probably jet through Honduras unless somebody tells me otherwise. Look forward to seeing you in a couple three days. I'll keep in touch.

Best,
Juan Copan
Closed Thread