Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 05:44 PM   #961
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewby View Post
Hey john. With my delayed timeline now maybe we will meet on the road.
Hi Hewby,

If we are meant to run into each other it will happen. That's how these things seem to work. I'm sure glad you're okay. Have a happy holiday up north, and if I'm in Colombia and can be of any service helping to get your bike back together I would be honored. Or honoured in Ozziespeak.

I imagine I am about a generation or so older than you, so you can just think of me as your crazy uncle.

Cheers,
Uncle John
Old 12-19-2012, 05:46 PM   #962
Ulyses
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hi CC,

I plan to check out the ruins at Copan tomorrow.....
Loved that border crossing. Muy tranquilo as I'm sure you know! Have fun at the ruins!
Old 12-19-2012, 05:49 PM   #963
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
Loved that border crossing. Muy tranquilo as I'm sure you know! Have fun at the ruins!
Hi Ulyses,

Should be fun. Glad to see you made it to Colombia. If I catch up to you somewhere we can share dry heaving over the starboard bow stories.

Suerte,
Tio Juanito
Old 12-19-2012, 08:14 PM   #964
Cousteau
...seeking adventure

Oddometer: 61
Carpe Diem!!!

Juanito,

It was great to meet you today. Thanks for taking the time to stop by for coffee at my "office" and sharing your pearls of wisdom. The simplicity of how you are traveling is amazing. It's made my near term crazy plans all that more real and plausible.

Since I didn't get a chance to buy you lunch I put a lil' something in your Paypal account which will hopefully get you farther down the road. I certainly encourage all you readers out there who are enjoying John's adventures to pitch in. I for one will certainly continue reading this great ride report.

Adelante compañero!!!

Cousteau
2wheelchronicle.com
Old 12-20-2012, 05:44 AM   #965
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousteau View Post
Juanito,

It was great to meet you today. Thanks for taking the time to stop by for coffee at my "office" and sharing your pearls of wisdom. The simplicity of how you are traveling is amazing. It's made my near term crazy plans all that more real and plausible.

Since I didn't get a chance to buy you lunch I put a lil' something in your Paypal account which will hopefully get you farther down the road. I certainly encourage all you readers out there who are enjoying John's adventures to pitch in. I for one will certainly continue reading this great ride report.

Adelante compañero!!!

Cousteau
2wheelchronicle.com
Hola Cousteau,

I enjoyed hanging out in your "officina" yesterday. You have a nice life in Guate. And thanks so much for your generous donation. It will allow me to report back what I find for just that much longer. Your directions led me straight to a bungee at Cemaco. That's a nice mall.

I wish I had been as savvy as you when I was your age. I had to find things out the hard way.

Should be fun flying through Patagonia on your new bike next spring!

Buena suerte amigo,
Juanito
Old 12-20-2012, 04:12 PM   #966
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,372

Old 12-20-2012, 05:01 PM   #967
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

I'm in Honduras on a connection that is like dial up hanging on by a thread. Will try to upload pictures of the day.

If it drops out, the short story is:

wonderful day riding. Copan Ruinas is the best yet for carved stelas and artistic stonework. Tomorrow is the end of the world here in the Mundo Maya so they are partying like it's 11:11AM 12/21/2012 around here.

stand by...
Old 12-20-2012, 05:25 PM   #968
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 4,656
?Ever noticed how an Oreo cookie looks abit like the Mayan calendar? Just sayin'.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:38 PM   #969
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Left Chiquimula this morning but not before the hotel owner could give me a couple going away regalos (presents):

I gave him my rain pants, banana republic shirt, and a nice stuff sack. The only dead weight I could find in my pannier. I'll have to mail the nice inlaid box and woven coin/keychain thing home. Such a nice gesture.

19 years old and Jossue (hoss-oo-ay) runs the hotel by himself. Owns a car wash with his buddy. Hired an abogado (lawyer) when he was 17 to get emancipated so he can enter into contracts by himself. Had a nice conversation with him last night and this morning. His girlfriend came by. Oh my God is all I can say. Too shy for a pic. Sorry. This kid is the future of Guatemala. Owns a CRF230 and showed me a nice backroad to the frontera at La Florida. Which I arrived at a short while later. This is the migration building where you get your passport stamped out of Guatemala:

and the aduana building where you get the bike stamped out of Guat:

Then down the road a short ways on the right to the brand new migration/aduana building Honduras built since I was here 2 years ago:

migration for your passport is the door on the left next to the guy leaning against the building and aduana for the bike is the next door down. No cost to exit Guatemala and $36.00 U.S. or 665 lempiras to enter Honduras. I paid in Lempiras since I talked the money changer into giving me 2.5 lempiras for my quetzals. He wanted to give me 2.2. No way. I walked away and after a few minutes he came over and gave me 2.5.

This border has gotten more truck traffic than when I was here two years ago so it took an hour and a half. Still my favorite border for getting into Honduras though.

more loading…..
Old 12-20-2012, 06:33 PM   #970
Hewby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hi Hewby,

If we are meant to run into each other it will happen. That's how these things seem to work. I'm sure glad you're okay. Have a happy holiday up north, and if I'm in Colombia and can be of any service helping to get your bike back together I would be honored. Or honoured in Ozziespeak.

I imagine I am about a generation or so older than you, so you can just think of me as your crazy uncle.

Cheers,
Uncle John
Thanks. Enjoy your Christmas.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:50 PM   #971
geolpilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
I lived about 1/2 time in Honduras, mostly in Roatan before it was discovered from 1982 to 1998. Spent some time up the Rio Dulce in Guatemala and a bit in Belize. We traveled by sail and motorboats. Anyhow, there are a couple of books that you will love.

Incidents of Travel in Central America, Chiapas and Yucatan by John L. Stephens. Volumes I and II. They were first published in 1841, yes, that is right 1841. He was appointed a diplomat from the US to Central America which was pretty much warring with itself. He bought Copan for $50 and explored Palenque and may other places. His companion Catherwood made incredible drawings of the stelae at Copan and other things as well. It is a great read. I first read these books in the early 80s and my take was that Central America hasn't changed much since the early 1800s.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:01 PM   #972
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Spent the entire afternoon roaming around Copan Ruinas. The Mayans down here had an easier time of it with superior materials to work with than the poor schmoes up in the Peten and Yucatan areas.

Instead of limestone they had a type of green volcanic tuff that looks identical to stone I used to get in Eastern Oregon. This stuff is tough but easy to work with stone age tools. Not sure if they had any type of chisels down here. I can see chisel marks that could have been made with hard granite chisels and scrapers. The flat surfaces look like they were pounded smooth with a hammered technique like the medieval boys did in Europe. And this stone doesn't melt in the rain like limestone does after 1000 years. As a result there is so much more detail down here in Honduras on the carved glyphs and stelas.

Volcanic tuff stelas rule:

Way more detail on these ten foot tall royal honchos.

Lots of miscellaneous carved stones scattered around:

Freshly quarried stone and reinforced concrete lintels tell you this is a modern replica of what might have been:

Still, I like the restored stuff:

better than the unrestored areas in the back 40:

check out this wild looking 10 foot in diameter tree growing out of the top of the main acropolis:

more later….
Old 12-20-2012, 07:22 PM   #973
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

The main carved staircase has been beautifully restored:

Quite the jigsaw puzzle putting this thing together so it read properly;

As opposed to this earlier restoration work where they just put the carved stones back helter skelter. Oops:

I like this carved altar:

If I had to get my heart cut out, this would be the perfect place for it.

The gate was open leading down into the main pyramid and nobody was around so I went down the staircase for a look see:

This is the view from down in the tomb looking up at the vaulted ceiling with a hole through the top of the pyramid:

Old 12-20-2012, 07:30 PM   #974
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Hi John. You've been on the road for a while now, and I'm wondering how you like (or don't) your bike? If you were to rate it 10 for perfect, you'd never choose another bike - 0 for you're about to hop on a plane - where would you rate it 0 to 10? Would your opinion change if you were going to Tierra del Fuego (I don't know if that's your plan or not)?

Thanks for putting in so much effort to keep us entertained on your travels, hopefully I can do the same for you one day :)

Dave
Old 12-20-2012, 07:39 PM   #975
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahFox View Post
Hi John. You've been on the road for a while now, and I'm wondering how you like (or don't) your bike? If you were to rate it 10 for perfect, you'd never choose another bike - 0 for you're about to hop on a plane - where would you rate it 0 to 10? Would your opinion change if you were going to Tierra del Fuego (I don't know if that's your plan or not)?

Thanks for putting in so much effort to keep us entertained on your travels, hopefully I can do the same for you one day :)
Dave
Hi Dave,

The Super Sherpa is a 10 for my needs. There is no perfect bike, but for someone with limited funds it works well. Easy on gas, 65mph all day long, splitting lanes in tight city traffic, just turned over 30,000 miles on the odo a couple days ago and I haven't done anything other than routine maintenance. Plus I've beat the tar out of the poor thing down to Panama and back and now heading as far south as my money lasts.

If I was made of money I don't know if I would choose any other bike. Maybe a WR250R or fly down to South America and buy an XR250L Tornado with electric start and that tough little XR250 motor.

But after seeing that Sherpa that the Aussie gal has been kicking the shit out of for the last 6 years and 174,000 kilometers with no issues I don't know. Sherpas are tough little bikes. I'm riding mine until it dies. That could be a while.

I look forward to your future ride reports.

Kindest regards,
John Downs
Closed Thread