Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:56 AM   #1037
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 3,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hi PDXalamo,

I will send pictures from El Pollito Pescador. Will spend your gift wisely on fine cuisine. Thanks so much! I am spending more of your generous gift this morning at La Revolucion Cafe on a breakfast burrito here at my office this morning:

Muchas gracias amigo!
Juanito

Tough job, but you do it so well.

TrashCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:51 AM   #1038
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,027
Merry Christmas, John. Still following along. Enjoying it, too.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:55 AM   #1039
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 748
Buenas Dias Juan Joven
Merry Christmas

Your not old enough to be an Abuelo yet, maybe their father I am a few years older than you and yes it is always interesting travelling to places that the kids go to. Seems like I am attracted to the same surf spots and hostels, I am asked my age a few times as they can't believe I am travelling off the beaten track on a bike.
Keep it up Senor Joven!

Quote:
Fun group of kids. It is always interesting when you get older to realize that you could be their grandfather. Always fun to hang out with upbeat kids no matter what your age. Here 4 of them are this morning in amazingly good shape after a night of partying. Ah, to be young again:
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:04 AM   #1040
Ray-zer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Merry Christmas Juanito/John

Your travelogue has been a splendid and articulate relief from ordinary life. Have a lovely rest. From balmy Canada...

Rayzer
Ray-zer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 01:12 PM   #1041
Chiriqui Charlie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Looks like yuou found a much better place to spend Saturday night than the floot of my room! I headed out Sunday morning in the worst wind I have ever ridden in. When I arrived in Penas Blancas I encountered what they said were the biggest crowds on records, thousands of folks trying to get across for the holidays. The lines were six deep and city blocks long! I wasn't looking forwward to spending six or eight hours to cross! A fixer took my papers and passport, and got me through in 20 minutes! I hate paying these guys, but in this case it was worth the 50 bucks to me, so I could get home to Panama to spend Christmas with my wife. When I arrived at the Rio Sereno crossing the next day it was closed! But since I have a Panama license and plates, I just rode through, I'll ride back up the hill to do it legally sometime in the future. We are looking forward to seeing you.
Chiriqui Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:26 PM   #1042
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,548
I ran into an ADVrider named Daniel who rode his KLR down here and never left. He leased this house:

and rents out rooms to touristas while he spends his time surfing and hanging out. Nice guy. He has invited any ADVrider to come down and camp for free out in the backyard here:

Here is the GPS waypoint:

N 11º 17.845'
W 85º 54.868'

I' ve already paid my $3.50 for tonight at Matilda's and am leaving tomorrow. But for any of you out there it is a cool place right on the beach with free camping, so hopefully you can find it. Daniel is out surfing. I'll put up his picture when he gets back later.

I'm down the beach to upload this. Here is a pic of Donniemac with his new Israeli friend Hadas hanging out in a hammock down here at Madera beach:

I encouraged Donniemac to put up a ride report to keep you folks entertained. So he started Santa Barbara to South America. I'll be following him after I leave here.

more later....
Old 12-25-2012, 02:40 PM   #1043
Zane Neher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Great report. Ive been wanting to do this ride as long as I remember.
Zane Neher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:57 PM   #1044
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery Goat View Post
Feliz Navidad Juanito!
Hi MG,

Thanks! Nice to have you along. I'm still positating the negative in your honor. Will say hi to Drew and crew when I hit Costa Rica.

Saludos,
Juanito
Old 12-25-2012, 03:02 PM   #1045
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
Merry Christmas, John. Still following along. Enjoying it, too.
Hi Slowoldguy,

Glad you're still following along. I see you paypal-ed some dough my way to buy those cute French girls a drink. I'll be posting a pic of them with drinks compliments of slowoldguy when I get back down the beach.

Muchas gracias amigo,
Juanito
Old 12-25-2012, 03:05 PM   #1046
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray-zer View Post
Your travelogue has been a splendid and articulate relief from ordinary life. Have a lovely rest. From balmy Canada...

Rayzer
Hi Rayzer,

Glad to have you following along from the tropics of Ontario.

Best,
John
Old 12-25-2012, 03:07 PM   #1047
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hi Slowoldguy,

Glad you're still following along. I see you paypal-ed some dough my way to buy those cute French girls a drink. I'll be posting a pic of them with drinks compliments of slowoldguy when I get back down the beach.

Muchas gracias amigo,
Juanito
Glad to see you'll be putting it to good use, my friend. I am old. But I have a great memory.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:08 PM   #1048
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiriqui Charlie View Post
Looks like yuou found a much better place to spend Saturday night than the floot of my room! I headed out Sunday morning in the worst wind I have ever ridden in. When I arrived in Penas Blancas I encountered what they said were the biggest crowds on records, thousands of folks trying to get across for the holidays. The lines were six deep and city blocks long! I wasn't looking forwward to spending six or eight hours to cross! A fixer took my papers and passport, and got me through in 20 minutes! I hate paying these guys, but in this case it was worth the 50 bucks to me, so I could get home to Panama to spend Christmas with my wife. When I arrived at the Rio Sereno crossing the next day it was closed! But since I have a Panama license and plates, I just rode through, I'll ride back up the hill to do it legally sometime in the future. We are looking forward to seeing you.
Hi CC,

It was so nice meeting you in Granada. I was thinking of you as I was getting blown all over the road in southern Nicaragua. Sailing on a 250 is an experience.

I am avoiding the Christmas border crowds at Peñas Blancas. We'll see how that goes.

I look forward to visiting with you and your wife when I get down to western Panama sometime in the next couple weeks.

Kindest regards,
Juan
Old 12-25-2012, 05:53 PM   #1049
GRinCR
Oppressed Nomad

Oddometer: 319
Laugh In

Although I am just leaving Zombie fest, I am in for the long haul on this one. Awesome!

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule of to keep us on the road vicariously.

If you are in the Centra Valley of Costa Rica in the comming days or weeks (not sure I'd leave that camp in SnJuan del Sur in a hurry) and it turns out to be a place to stop, please look me up. There is a hot shower, a guest room, speedy WiFi and plenty of garage space with ample lighting for you. PM'ing some info...

Also, are you carrying a cell phone with you for the "just in case" scenario, collecting local SIM cards as you go?

Back to it! I'm only on pg.15 and have lots to catch up on!!!!
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"My father taught me to work; he did not teach me to love it." -Abraham Lincoln
GRinCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:42 AM   #1050
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRinCR View Post
Although I am just leaving Zombie fest, I am in for the long haul on this one. Awesome!

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule of to keep us on the road vicariously.

If you are in the Centra Valley of Costa Rica in the comming days or weeks (not sure I'd leave that camp in SnJuan del Sur in a hurry) and it turns out to be a place to stop, please look me up. There is a hot shower, a guest room, speedy WiFi and plenty of garage space with ample lighting for you. PM'ing some info...

Also, are you carrying a cell phone with you for the "just in case" scenario, collecting local SIM cards as you go?

Back to it! I'm only on pg.15 and have lots to catch up on!!!!
Hi GRinCR,

I'll definitely stop by Alajuela. I don't have a phone, but PM's and email has worked so far catching up to people on the road. With the waypoint you PM'd I'll find you. I've been to Alajuela before. Wouldn't miss the chance to visit a fellow ADVrider. I'll let you know when I get nearby. Or you can follow the daily updates here to see where I am.

I need a GRinCR signature on the gas tank. Look forward to meeting you as soon as I can tear myself away from Nicaragua. I thought I was leaving today, but with free camping in moderndaydrifters backyard I might take the opportunity to study my Spanish for a couple days on the beach.

Muchas gracias amigo,
Juanito