User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 07:53 AM   #1051
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,652
I bought béer for the French girls last night. I told them it was courtesy of a nice moto dude in Texas. Elise from France says, "merci beaucoup slowoldguy ! "

Here is Daniel next door who is offering free camping for ADVriders:

He posts here as moderndaydrifter in case you want to PM him or just say thanks for thinking of his ADVbuds.

Here is a Ukranian girl staying down at moderndaydrifter's little hacienda. Pretty mellow place to hang out down the beach where he's at:

Another guy down the beach that hasn't gotten around to leaving this place. Here is Mark:

he used to be a chef and was whipping up Christmas dinner for 20 of his friends on the beach down the way.

The Christmas dinner chefs at Matildas last night. Quite an eclectic crew of world cooking going on here in the kitchen with an Austrian, Kazakh, Swiss, French and Hawaiian:

promoting world peace one meal at a time. I think more people need to get out and travel and see that we're all just people.

Sitting down to a great meal with a bunch of folks that were strangers the day before yesterday:

I spent 840 cordobas ($35.00) day before yesterday on food, gas, groceries and lodging and yesterday it was 260 ($10.83) not counting the 120 cordobas for beer for the French girls.

The food and beverages down here at the beach are double the price of what you can get at the grocery store in town. If you camped for free and shopped in town, you could stay around here for very little money if you wanted to.

more later….

JDowns screwed with this post 12-26-2012 at 03:29 PM
Old 12-26-2012, 08:05 AM   #1052
calrider
I'm Lost Too!!

Oddometer: 676
Thanks for the report John... Here's a report of my trip in Colombia a few years ago. 2-up on a 200cc China bike. It may provide a few ideas for you. Enjoy!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301156
Old 12-26-2012, 08:20 AM   #1053
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by calrider View Post
Thanks for the report John... Here's a report of my trip in Colombia a few years ago. 2-up on a 200cc China bike. It may provide a few ideas for you. Enjoy!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301156
Hi Calrider,

I thoroughly enjoyed that report. Look forward to Colombia. South America is calling me.

Hey, where is that Amiga now anyway? I want to know the rest of the story.

I'll be re-reading your report for ideas when I get there next year.

Glad to have you along for the ride.

Gracias amigo,
Juan de Nica
Old 12-26-2012, 08:31 AM   #1054
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,474
Quote:
I bought béer for the French girls last night. I told them it was courtesy of a nice moto dude in Texas.
Perfect!
Old 12-26-2012, 09:03 AM   #1055
0theories
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
San Juan del Sur

Thanks for the great report on this spot John! I pretty much hated that town last I was there (perhaps the only place I disliked my entire trip) but it looks like I just didn't find the right spot/people

All I saw there was surfer attitude and bro vibe

Now I'm looking forward to giving it another shot, all thanks to your great reporting!

Oh yeah, check out Omotepe Island if it's on your way. It's kinda like going back in time to the 50's (or was at least...)

Oregon to Panama RR (Guatemala actually...)
KLR Build Thread
Old 12-26-2012, 10:20 AM   #1056
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0theories View Post
Thanks for the great report on this spot John! I pretty much hated that town last I was there (perhaps the only place I disliked my entire trip) but it looks like I just didn't find the right spot/people

All I saw there was surfer attitude and bro vibe

Now I'm looking forward to giving it another shot, all thanks to your great reporting!

Oh yeah, check out Omotepe Island if it's on your way. It's kinda like going back in time to the 50's (or was at least...)
Hi 0theories,

I know what you mean. I've always avoided San Juan del Sur because it sounded too Gringo trailish.

Don't thank me though. Thank rtwpaul. He's the stud who found the beach up the way. The worse the roads, the nicer the people. The wastoids and stoner Bro crowd
hang out where the traveling is easy.

I'm just like you. Reading ride reports and getting tips from fellow riders is the only travel agency I need.

I would be wandering in the wasteland without ADVrider.

Where are you anyway? I better go read your ride report.

Saludos,
Juanito
Old 12-26-2012, 10:59 AM   #1057
O'B
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hi Calrider,

I thoroughly enjoyed that report. Look forward to Colombia. South America is calling me.

Hey, where is that Amiga now anyway? I want to know the rest of the story.

I'll be re-reading your report for ideas when I get there next year.

Glad to have you along for the ride.

Gracias amigo,
Juan de Nica
You have got me looking for a nice used WR250x. If you happen to be in San Jose on a Sunday morning get up at the crack of dawn and crutse around a little. A lot of local riders are out cruising because there is little traffic until 9 or 10. Very good RR really enjoying the photos.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:08 AM   #1058
O'B
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hi 0theories,

I know what you mean. I've always avoided San Juan del Sur because it sounded too Gringo trailish.

Don't thank me though. Thank rtwpaul. He's the stud who found the beach up the way. The worse the roads, the nicer the people. The wastoids and stoner Bro crowd
hang out where the traveling is easy.

I'm just like you. Reading ride reports and getting tips from fellow riders is the only travel agency I need.

I would be wandering in the wasteland without ADVrider.

Where are you anyway? I better go read your ride report.

Saludos,
Juanito
Dude one thing about the bigger beach towns in CR is that it is easier to find less expensive accomidations because there is more available and much more competition. CR is expensive compared to other CA countries as you already know. The gringo trail is fun.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:20 AM   #1059
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OB View Post
The gringo trail is fun.
Hi OB,

I used to think that when I was your age. There is no perfect place for everyone. Forty years from now your idea of a great place to hang out will change I imagine.

And yes, Sunday morning is a great time to ride in Central America. Everyone is either hung over from Saturday night or heading to Sunday mass.

I enjoy shredding rush hour traffic in San Jose on a little dirt bike as well.

Kindest regards,
Juanboy
Old 12-26-2012, 03:44 PM   #1060
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

I moved down the beach to the free accommodation at Daniel's place this afternoon. Here is the hunter gatherer returning from spear fishing the catch of the day. The big one is a rooster fish I am told:

I studied Spanish this afternoon from some books I borrowed from over at Matilda's. Lolled around. I think I'll head out tomorrow. That's what I said yesterday. We'll see.

Here is the cute Kazak/Swiss couple posing for their Christmas photo for friends and family back home:

Went in to town and got some groceries. Spent 233 cordobas ($9.70) today on some beach food and groceries from town.

Saludos mis amigos de la aventura,
Juanito
Old 12-26-2012, 04:35 PM   #1061
Habibi Rocks
Banned

Oddometer: 58
Hola Juanito !!!! nice pics !!!!!! Do you prefer the beach (hot) climate or colder mountain type of climate ????
I am looking forward to your Colombia ride and pictures .
Old 12-26-2012, 04:51 PM   #1062
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habibi Rocks View Post
Hola Juanito !!!! nice pics !!!!!! Do you prefer the beach (hot) climate or colder mountain type of climate ????
I am looking forward to your Colombia ride and pictures .
Hi Habibi Rocks,

I like the fact that when it is cold in the mountains in Mexico and Central America in winter you can go roast down at the beach.

The riding is better in the mountains. And the remote mountain towns are nicer than the Gringo beaches for me I would say.

And yet I am having a hard time leaving this Majagual area. So go figure.

In December, I think towns like Antigua Guatemala that are around 3000 feet are about perfect weather wise. Although the place I went to visit GuateRider and GuateRider Girl up at 9000 feet was awesome.

The fact that you can choose your climate based on elevation is what I like about riding around here is what I guess I'm saying.

Saludos,
Juanito
Old 12-26-2012, 05:08 PM   #1063
drdubb
OFWG

Oddometer: 372
Travel light

Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDooDaddy View Post
Yes, as I think I mentioned early in your RR; the Marine Corps taught me very well that weight = pain! I know how to travel fast and light, and wouldn't have it any other way. I saw this picture below in a recent RR concerning a 3 month trip through Russia, and thought to myself,..."Holy shit! Why does he need all that shit? He is never gonna make it." And he didn't. Too much weight, too top heavy...

To each his own I guess?

I like your riding style very much and I think it has turned alot of people's minds onto the idea of traveling minimally, on a limited budget. Like you, I think too many people don't do their dream ride because they think they need a million dollars and a new 1200GS.

Yes, and I bought into it big time. I don't regret it, because I love my wife and kids, but I also like adventure and travel. Being a responsible adult and good father/husband means that I am basically staked down for at least four years until my youngest starts school...

My problem is I have had an extremely interesting and exciting life: Marine Corps, 20 yrs of police work, roadracing Ducatis, scuba diving, etcetera,...and I want more! I have recently retired from police work and have started my own business which is going fantastically well. I want to keep evolving as a rider and a person, and a trip to SA is next on my bucket list.

I couldn't agree more. I am really looking forward to spending a lot of time with my two oldest sons doing MC trips to Colorado, Northern Arkansas, Moab, and the desert SW. And starting to entertain the idea of my oldest son going with me to SA. Me on the DR650, him on the DR350?
Voo doo daddy...

This is a little late, but check out Mondo Enduro and/or Terra Circa. Those vides are about Englishmen who circled the world on DR350's. they started with lot's of go gear but ended up with little more than toothbrushes and army ponchos.
'71 SL 350 - Honda
Old 12-26-2012, 05:11 PM   #1064
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,630
Oh, that poor guy on the DR650 has become the Poster Child of how not to pack.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:32 PM   #1065
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

I used to ride an overloaded bike. It is hard to understand in the beginning that you don't need much stuff to travel far.

Everybody has to find what works for them though. The overloaded bikes do tend to wear out rear tires and suspension parts faster. Tires and Rear shocks aren't cheap. I have ridden home from Copper Canyon on a rear spring with a blown rear shock before I discovered the less is more idea.

Best,
Juan Playa
Closed Thread