User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 07:12 PM   #1066
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,630
Yeah, previously we have carried a ton of stuff. Big bikes though, BMW R1150GS...two of them.

Our trip south will be on DR650's with light loads.

Thanks to you and your stories and pictures.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:34 PM   #1067
VooDooDaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdubb View Post
This is a little late, but check out Mondo Enduro and/or Terra Circa. Those videos are about Englishmen who circled the world on DR350's. they started with lot's of go gear but ended up with little more than toothbrushes and army ponchos.
Hey Dr. Dubb,

Thanks for chiming in and mentioning Austin Vince and Co. Yes, I have BOTH Mondo Enduro and Terra Circa on DVD. In fact they were my inspiration for purchasing my 1999 DR350SE. I LOVE that "little" bike. I'm sure it will be going on a similar RR in a few years. It is truely a great ADV bike. It will do everything my DR650 does, but the 650 can't do everything the 350 can. Right now I have six motorcycles, and the DR350 would be the last one I would part with if I had to, simply because it is so much fun in so many circumstances! Cheap to buy, cheap and simple to maintain, great on fuel, easy on tires, will carry my phat A$$ all day long at 70mph if asked, reliable as a stone, etcetera. I know the Gay-Tee-Emm crowd would never be seen dead on my lowly DR350 and I couldn't care less.

I know we're a bit off topic; but maybe not as we are simply re-enforcing the idea of less-is-more as JD has clearly demonstrated, and I would hope more and more people will come to realize you DON'T need a 1200GS and a million dollars to see the world and have a great time doing it!

JD, my newest hero........
Old 12-27-2012, 01:44 AM   #1068
Voidrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
I'm just like you. Reading ride reports and getting tips from fellow riders is the only travel agency I need.

I would be wandering in the wasteland without ADVrider.
^ This is a BIG part of my fascination with reading this sort of ride report. Well, this and the "ride what you have, you don't need a huge expensive bike and a ton of money". It makes the possibility of world travel accessible to "regular people", and even "on a budget" types. It feeds the dreams.

I also really appreciate riders like you John, who are basically "goodwill ambassadors" for riders from the States in the future. You seem to find enjoyment and (mostly) good interactions with people wherever you go. I love reading your and Radioman's ride reports. You guys are undertaking your trips differently, but you are both getting great results!

One day when I undertake such travels, it will be in part because guys like you have blazed the way.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:08 AM   #1069
drdubb
OFWG

Oddometer: 372
Voodoo daddy. last spring..I met Austin Vince and his wife, Lois Price, both expounding on simplicity.

I started back on bikes a few years ago with a 95 Honda nighthawk 750. Love that old bike, simple, reliable. I just picked up a dr650 for the same reasons. I considered smaller, but for how I plan to ride, I think it is the right bike. However, I find myself wanting to simplify and shed while I continue to acquire. Quite the conundrum. I'll keep reading this thread for inspiration

Thread jack over.
'71 SL 350 - Honda
Old 12-27-2012, 08:25 AM   #1070
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
That's because he left his other pair at my house
The famous British long distance hiker, I think it was John Merrill-he wore his socks until worn out & never having washed them once.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:32 AM   #1071
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,652
Finally packed up my bike and left the beach at Majagual. Made it up the beach a few miles for breakfast and to check the weather up here where they have wifi. Moments later a thundershower came through and washed the Sherpa off:

It was a beautiful full moon last night hanging out in the tent. I was awakened at 3AM by a couple local ladies pulling on my big toe through the tent and saying, "Señor, Señor." " Como se yama?"

I unzipped the tent and got the gist of the services they were offering. The only English word that Paula knew was blowjob. I explained that I was a poor Gringo. I didn't have the heart to tell them that maybe if they lost 150 pounds they might have better luck at their trade.

I got the rest of the story this morning. It turns out young Dano from British Colombia had brought 2 drunk hookers home at 3AM from San Juan del Sur in a taxi.

That explains it. I guess he passed out and being the diligent entrepreneurs that they were, the girls decided to offer their services elsewhere. Moderndaydrifter was quite surprised when I told him about it this morning. His first question was, "how much did they want?"

I totally fell down on the job as a ride reporter. Not only did I not get out my camera for a night time shot of Paula and Theresa, but I didn't find out how much they charged. Sorry. My only defense is that I was a bit groggy.

I've been sitting here for a couple hours thinking about leaving. I checked the weather and it is raining north of here. Also Duncan from England tells me that they charged him 40 bucks for the river ferry past San Carlos for the back door border crossing I was going to check out. He said it wasn't worth it. Hmmmmmm.

The only nice weather today seems to be on the Nicoye Penninsula south of here in Costa Rica. I guess I'll head over there.

GRinCR has offered a place to stay over in Alajuela, so I'll head over there tomorrow. I'm in no hurry to head out to Peñas Blancas but I guess I better leave now before I end up staying here another week.

Colombia is calling…….
Old 12-27-2012, 12:49 PM   #1072
Max Wedge
ADVenture mowing

Oddometer: 428
Hey John!
Finally got caught up, glad i had the week off work. Now I just have to figure out how to to convince my wife to sell everything and go riding. I enjoy seeing your daily cash outlay totals, it helps me realize how economically one can travel by moto.
Stiil on board, good riding,
Max (who is as old as the Maxwedge motor)

-you never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:04 PM   #1073
Chiriqui Charlie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
"I totally fell down on the job as a ride reporter. Not only did I not get out my camera for a night time shot of Paula and Theresa, but I didn't find out how much they charged. Sorry. My only defense is that I was a bit groggy."

OK john, looks like I'll have to step in and pull you out of this one: your loyal readers want to know! I spent a night in SJDS, just a couple blocks from the beach strip with all the hotels, restaurants, and bars (and hookers). I was approached several times (obviously because of my stunning good looks) and even though I am way past the age for such shennigans, and purely in the interest of ride research, I inquired about rates. I was quoted $20.00.

I later stayed in the hospedage in Granada where you found me, it is located about a block away from what looks like hooker heaven. Agasin I inquired as to rates, and was told $40.00.

On my way through Jaco, I was approached by a lovely young thing, so again I was forced to ask, and was told $100.00.

Now the obvious question is, what makes a girl in Jaco worth five times as much as one just a few miles further up the coast in SJDS? The answer to this will depend on follow up research by a richer and younger traveler!
Old 12-27-2012, 04:29 PM   #1074
QCRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiriqui Charlie View Post
"I totally fell down on the job as a ride reporter. Not only did I not get out my camera for a night time shot of Paula and Theresa, but I didn't find out how much they charged. Sorry. My only defense is that I was a bit groggy."

OK john, looks like I'll have to step in and pull you out of this one: your loyal readers want to know! I spent a night in SJDS, just a couple blocks from the beach strip with all the hotels, restaurants, and bars (and hookers). I was approached several times (obviously because of my stunning good looks) and even though I am way past the age for such shennigans, and purely in the interest of ride research, I inquired about rates. I was quoted $20.00.

I later stayed in the hospedage in Granada where you found me, it is located about a block away from what looks like hooker heaven. Agasin I inquired as to rates, and was told $40.00.

On my way through Jaco, I was approached by a lovely young thing, so again I was forced to ask, and was told $100.00.

Now the obvious question is, what makes a girl in Jaco worth five times as much as one just a few miles further up the coast in SJDS? The answer to this will depend on follow up research by a richer and younger traveler!
OK, definitely going on a slippery tangent here... but hey, what the heck! It's all about research and getting the facts straight for our fellow inmates, right?

I've **HEARD** that the ongoing rate was $150 in Jaco, so it looks like you were actually offered a good discount CC! And based on John's report, it definitely confirms now that everything is cheaper in Nicaragua!

Anyway, just thought I'd give my 2 cents on this... based on what I've **HEARD** of course, so don't quote me!
Old 12-27-2012, 05:24 PM   #1075
Cmnthead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Hey John

Been following your rr. Just wanting to try and chip in a little bit here to help you out on your trip. I have really enjoyed your daily reports and cost totals. I have offered this to a couple other inmates and want to extend the offer to you also. When you finally get to Panama you are more than welcome to crash at my shack on the beach for as long as you feel you need too.

I have a apartment on the side of my shack. Bedroom, kitchen, bathroom with shower (no hot water, no tub), out door shower for when you come from the beach, a huge porch covered with a rancho and lots of hammocks to watch the beach action.

It is a local beach with few tourists and 9 local restaurants most only a 2-10 minute walk.

Take the Divisa cut off on the PanAm and head south to Las Tablas. In Las Tablas you are only 10 min away. Playa Uverito.

When you did the 350 mile trip to help out the other inmate after his accident and made that nice donation to him sure hit home with me. That says a lot about your personality. Good job.

Keep up ALL the good work.

A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.. H Thompson
Old 12-27-2012, 06:14 PM   #1076
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Went through the border at Peñas Blancas into Costa Rica this afternoon. It has been streamlined somewhat and only took a little over an hour. The Nicaragua aduana moved over to the migracion building so everything happens in one building now. The cop who has to sign off on your bike is at a desk inside aduana so no running around trying to chase him down.

I think part of the reason it was easy was because nobody was there. Everyone is at their families' house for Christmas plus hardly any truckers today since it's a holiday week. The Costa Rica side was basically the same as two years ago, except the migracion building is brand new and air conditioned. And they jacked the price of their mandatory insurance up from 13 dollars to over 14,000 colones or around 30 bucks. What a rip. It didn't make me feel so bad about riding the wrong way behind some trucks and jumping the double curb to avoid paying the 6 dollar Costa Rica spray booth tax.

They had a cajero automatico (ATM) in a bus right at the Costa Rica border although you can pay for your mandatory insurance with American dollars if you want. I really like the new currency they have since last time I was through:

A mil is 1000 so the 20 mil note is worth 20,000 colones. But the nice thing for me is that since the dollar is worth 500 colones, you just have to double the number on the bill to come up with how many dollars it's worth. Easy.

The coins are still a pain in the ass since they're all the same color and the 50 and 100 colone coin are nearly the same size:

The 5 is worth a penny, 25 is a nickle, 50 is worth a dime, 100 is 20¢ and the 500 is a dollar.

The wind was whipping through Guanacaste as it often does, so I stopped at the Guanacaste hotel in Liberia. I have stayed here before. Cheap basic accommodation. A bed and a bathroom and that's about it. But only 4000 colones or 8 bucks so cheap for Costa Rica.

I spent 110 cordobas for breakfast, 3 dollars to get out of Nicaragua, 30 bucks for Costa Rica insurance and 8 for this room. So that adds up to, hmmm, about 45 bucks give or take.

Buenos noches mis amigos de la aventura,
Juanito

JDowns screwed with this post 12-27-2012 at 06:20 PM
Old 12-27-2012, 06:25 PM   #1077
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiriqui Charlie View Post

Hi CC,

Thanks for filling in the holes in this ride report. Inquiring minds want to know the answers to these things just out of morbid curiosity if nothing else. Thanks for going the extra mile. You are my new cub reporter stringer.

Look forward to seeing you down in Panama if you're around when I get down that way.

Saludos,
Juan Rica
Old 12-27-2012, 06:31 PM   #1078
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCRider View Post
OK, definitely going on a slippery tangent here... but hey, what the heck! It's all about research and getting the facts straight for our fellow inmates, right?

I've **HEARD** that the ongoing rate was $150 in Jaco, so it looks like you were actually offered a good discount CC! And based on John's report, it definitely confirms now that everything is cheaper in Nicaragua!

Anyway, just thought I'd give my 2 cents on this... based on what I've **HEARD** of course, so don't quote me!
Hi QCrider,

Are you in Costa Rica? If so I'd like to drop by and meet you if for no other reason than to put a face to a name.

And thanks for the puta intel. Always useful for the randier ADVriders to know the lay of the land (yuk yuk).

Best,
Juan de la Costa
Old 12-27-2012, 06:38 PM   #1079
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmnthead View Post
Hey John

Been following your rr. Just wanting to try and chip in a little bit here to help you out on your trip. I have really enjoyed your daily reports and cost totals. I have offered this to a couple other inmates and want to extend the offer to you also. When you finally get to Panama you are more than welcome to crash at my shack on the beach for as long as you feel you need too.

I have a apartment on the side of my shack. Bedroom, kitchen, bathroom with shower (no hot water, no tub), out door shower for when you come from the beach, a huge porch covered with a rancho and lots of hammocks to watch the beach action.

It is a local beach with few tourists and 9 local restaurants most only a 2-10 minute walk.

Take the Divisa cut off on the PanAm and head south to Las Tablas. In Las Tablas you are only 10 min away. Playa Uverito.

When you did the 350 mile trip to help out the other inmate after his accident and made that nice donation to him sure hit home with me. That says a lot about your personality. Good job.

Keep up ALL the good work.
Hi Cmnthead,

Thanks so much for the generous offer! I'll definitely drop by your place in Panama. That place sounds right up my alley. I'll be looking up Divisa on google.maps as soon as I finish typing this.

Hope you're around to sign the tank. If not, I'll sign it for you. My gas tank is looking like cowboy poetry with some of my latest sponsors. I was looking down today and read moderndaydrifter Baja_Bound slowoldguy. If that's not poetry I don't know what is. I think Cementhead would complete that sonnet perfectly.

Muchas gracias amigo,
Juanito
Old 12-27-2012, 07:30 PM   #1080
GRinCR
Oppressed Nomad

Oddometer: 324
Thumb Welcome back to Pura Vida.

Although I am still in MX, pg 36+/-, I am cheating and jumping ahead in the story!

It is great to hear you are on your way and sure hope I can pull some strings to tally some seat time outside of the 24km RT work commute. Unfortunately I walked in today to find a brand spanking new boss out of left field. I get the impression he is more of a(n) rather than a(n) .

In a perfect world it would be to work and I'm off to America Sur with blessings from the wife as well.

I did pull the PM shift for Saturday so it's game on in the AM!!

Pura Vida and see you on the flipside!
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"My father taught me to work; he did not teach me to love it." -Abraham Lincoln

GRinCR screwed with this post 12-27-2012 at 07:45 PM Reason: Spelling Bee Champ
Closed Thread