ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 07:33 PM   #1081
QCRider
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Costa Rica
Oddometer: 88
Bienvenido a Costa Rica!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hi QCrider,

Are you in Costa Rica? If so I'd like to drop by and meet you if for no other reason than to put a face to a name.

And thanks for the puta intel. Always useful for the randier ADVriders to know the lay of the land (yuk yuk).

Best,
Juan de la Costa
Hi John,

Yes, I'm in Santa Ana , near Escazu. GRinCR told me that you might hook up him tomorrow, so I will see if I can meet up with you guys if I can. I picked up a new (used) bike before xmas, but the battery seems to be playing up, so I'll have to sort that out. How long are you staying in CR? I know you don't do much planning ahead, but do you have a general idea where you'll be going?

I was chatting with a friend of mine who's going to the beach tomorrow, so we were thinking about taking the old road to Jaco (nice twisties and scenery) in mid afternoon. I'll ride back via the new highway shortly after. You're welcome to join us if you want.

Oh, and for the record, the puta intel is only what I've heard from my tico maes!!!

Ride safe and Pura Vida!
QCRider is offline  
Old 12-27-2012, 07:57 PM   #1082
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Bassett, NE
Oddometer: 2,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCRider View Post
Hi John,

Yes, I'm in Santa Ana , near Escazu. GRinCR told me that you might hook up him tomorrow, so I will see if I can meet up with you guys if I can. I picked up a new (used) bike before xmas, but the battery seems to be playing up, so I'll have to sort that out. How long are you staying in CR? I know you don't do much planning ahead, but do you have a general idea where you'll be going?

I was chatting with a friend of mine who's going to the beach tomorrow, so we were thinking about taking the old road to Jaco (nice twisties and scenery) in mid afternoon. I'll ride back via the new highway shortly after. You're welcome to join us if you want.

Oh, and for the record, the puta intel is only what I've heard from my tico maes!!!

Ride safe and Pura Vida!
Hi QCR,

I'm up in Liberia at the moment. That back road to Jaco is a hoot, but I think tomorrow I'll just wander around until GRinCR gets off work at 3. I was thinking of heading up to Arenal for some cooler weather, but it looked pretty socked in with clouds this afternoon so I stayed down in the sun in Guanacaste.

I've spent plenty of time in Costa Rica riding all over the place, so this trip I'm trying to stay focused on making it to South America and am basically transiting the country. It would be fun to meet you guys and say hi if it works out.

Pura vida,
Juan Rica
__________________
South America and back on a 250 Super Sherpa Minimalist Adventure
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831076
JDowns is offline  
Old 12-27-2012, 08:22 PM   #1083
QCRider
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Costa Rica
Oddometer: 88
I've hit GRinCR with my contact info. I'll try to meet up with you guys after coming back from Playa Hermosa.


Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hi QCR,

I'm up in Liberia at the moment. That back road to Jaco is a hoot, but I think tomorrow I'll just wander around until GRinCR gets off work at 3. I was thinking of heading up to Arenal for some cooler weather, but it looked pretty socked in with clouds this afternoon so I stayed down in the sun in Guanacaste.

I've spent plenty of time in Costa Rica riding all over the place, so this trip I'm trying to stay focused on making it to South America and am basically transiting the country. It would be fun to meet you guys and say hi if it works out.

Pura vida,
Juan Rica
QCRider is offline  
Old 12-27-2012, 08:35 PM   #1084
Deseret Rider
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Deseret Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: East Central Utah (Deseret)
Oddometer: 245
The riders that doubled back to help? on page 44

If that ain't Walter Colbatch It is his double----wonder if that is his Russian girlfriend with him? Hmmmmm?
Deseret Rider is offline  
Old 12-28-2012, 06:00 AM   #1085
GuateRider
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Antigua , Guatemala
Oddometer: 1,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post


Headed west on a jeep trail Julio suggested:



It was steep and rocky for the first part. Not sure if I would take a large loaded bike down this trail. It's much steeper than it looks. As you know, it is almost impossible to show steepness looking back uphill. I had to use trailing rear brake with 1st gear to keep the speed down:

and look ahead for a line through the rain ruts and crude bridges:



This section was very steep and the rain ruts had been filled with fist to cantelope sized rocks. I felt lucky to make it through:



Dropped several thousand vertical feet through switchbacks and finally arrived at a paved road. Wow! There is nothing smoother after bouncing down rocky switchbacks:

[

Hola John,
I just got back yeseterday from the Unicornio Azul(again) after spending Christmas there with my boys . On the way back to Antigua we took the dirt road down ro Aguacatan , it was steep but it was definitely not the same one as you took
When we meet again, you have to teach me how to get lost so easily seems thta this is your way to find great spots
Saludos mi amigo,
Julio
__________________
Guatemala-Alaska-Guatemala
GuateRider is offline  
Old 12-28-2012, 07:54 AM   #1086
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Bassett, NE
Oddometer: 2,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuateRider View Post
Hola John,
I just got back yeseterday from the Unicornio Azul(again) after spending Christmas there with my boys . On the way back to Antigua we took the dirt road down ro Aguacatan , it was steep but it was definitely not the same one as you took
When we meet again, you have to teach me how to get lost so easily seems thta this is your way to find great spots
Saludos mi amigo,
Julio
Hola Julio,

What a great place to spend Christmas! Thank you so much for introducing me to the Unicornio Azul. The riding around there is magic. Your ideas made my ride through your country so much more fun than I could have imagined.

Me gusta Guatemala. I look forward to getting lost in the mountains there many more times in the future.

Until we meet again,
John
__________________
South America and back on a 250 Super Sherpa Minimalist Adventure
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831076
JDowns is offline  
Old 12-28-2012, 08:00 AM   #1087
mmonce
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Oddometer: 560
John,

I have been enjoying your ride report. You have a very practical approach to life and your trip. Simple living allows for longer trips. I also work in the construction industry. It is great for you to show people the details. This ride report must require quite a bit of work, thank you for it.
mmonce is offline  
Old 12-28-2012, 09:46 AM   #1088
tenfiddy
Demotivational P C
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Apalachicola National Forest
Oddometer: 186
John, I've enjoyed following your adventure. Thanks for your posts! I sent a small contribution the other day (ss2win @...) so sign Area51 for me :)

now back to lurking!
__________________
2000 XR650R - Big.. Red... missile toward the next tree/ditch, wahtevar!
1999 KTM 200EXC - ANF Bomber
2002 Super Sherpa - Hers!
"Unlimited foobar until epoch called!"
tenfiddy is offline  
Old 12-28-2012, 09:55 AM   #1089
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Bassett, NE
Oddometer: 2,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Area51 View Post
John, I've enjoyed following your adventure. Thanks for your posts! I sent a small contribution the other day (ss2win @...) so sign Area51 for me :)

now back to lurking!
Area51,

I'm heading out to sign the gas tank right now.

Your line on the tank now will read:

Area51 moderndaydrifter Baja_Bound slowoldguy

Still pretty poetic.

Muchas gracias amigo,
Juan Rica
__________________
South America and back on a 250 Super Sherpa Minimalist Adventure
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831076
JDowns is offline  
Old 12-28-2012, 09:59 AM   #1090
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Bassett, NE
Oddometer: 2,652
I just got an email from Sam and Keri, the lovely honeymooner couple on the Triumph I met camping in Nicaragua. They have a broken rear spoke problem. They're just down the road in Santa Cruz, so heading that direction on the way to visit GRinCR up in Alajuela later today. If the honeymooners don't have spare spokes for relacing, I can at least buy them a cold six pack so they cry in their beer.

more later.....
__________________
South America and back on a 250 Super Sherpa Minimalist Adventure
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831076
JDowns is offline  
Old 12-28-2012, 10:10 AM   #1091
BeachGuy
Alabama & Costa Rica
 
BeachGuy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Back in Alabama!
Oddometer: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
They have a broken rear spoke problem.
John, I have a great riding buddy in San Jose who rides a Triumph and is also a great mechanic. I will be glad to contact him and find out where your friends need to go to get the spokes replaced and wheel trued. Just let me know.

It's going to be tuff to find an open qualified shop at this time of year.

Happy New Year.
__________________
BeachGuy
2010 Ride Report: Orange Beach, AL to Jaco Beach, Costa Rica
2011 Ride Report: Costa Rica to Panama back to Costa Rica
2014 Ride Report: Ring of Ireland in 30 days
One of the beautiful things about riding solo is the quality of the social experience.
BeachGuy is offline  
Old 12-28-2012, 10:24 AM   #1092
OldPete
Be aware
 
OldPete's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Los Alamitos, CA
Oddometer: 4,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Sam and Carrie from Michigan are riding this Triumph to South America on their honeymoon:



Here is the cute couple:





Buenos noches,
Juanito

Well atleast they are not straight pull spokes. The ones with the 90 degree bend at the head will be easyer to find... I guess.

As you probably know, spoke threads are rolled on the spoke. A used spoke can be threaded to the proper length BUT the cut thread will have a serious stress riser at the smooth portion of the spoke causing it to fracture/crack.

Generally these type of spokes flex at the 90 and fracture at that point.

Two-up on this TriUMPH would have me checking spokes often, especially the rear.

Best to ya Juanito...
OldPete is offline  
Old 12-28-2012, 12:45 PM   #1093
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
I just got an email from Sam and Keri, the lovely honeymooner couple on the Triumph I met camping in Nicaragua. They have a broken rear spoke problem. They're just down the road in Santa Cruz, so heading that direction on the way to visit GRinCR up in Alajuela later today. If the honeymooners don't have spare spokes for relacing, I can at least buy them a cold six pack so they cry in their beer.

more later.....
Really enjoying your ride report John ... one of the best here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPete View Post
Well atleast they are not straight pull spokes. The ones with the 90 degree bend at the head will be easyer to find... I guess.

As you probably know, spoke threads are rolled on the spoke. A used spoke can be threaded to the proper length BUT the cut thread will have a serious stress riser at the smooth portion of the spoke causing it to fracture/crack.

Generally these type of spokes flex at the 90 and fracture at that point.

Two-up on this TriUMPH would have me checking spokes often, especially the rear.

Best to ya Juanito...
Good advice Pete. But I would not let ONE missing spoke deter progress unless serious damage has already been done to other spokes and the wheel. (unlikely on a modern bike)

They should simply check ALL spokes for tightness and proceed. Get a new spoke when they can. No sweat.

Chances are good that if they lost one spoke ... then could be they have many LOOSE ONES. Not good. But as long as ALL are carefully tighten up, then you can survive fine missing one. I tighten spokes using SOUND. Tighten them all to the same pitch, tap with wrench to "ring" them ... but never over tighten ... just snug is good. Check monthly. Many use Zip Ties to snug spokes together and minimize flex. Seems to help.

!Suerte amigos!
Adv Grifter is offline  
Old 12-28-2012, 02:45 PM   #1094
GRinCR
Oppressed Nomad
 
GRinCR's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Alajuela, Costa Rica via MN.
Oddometer: 324
Quick pit stop at the casa and off for a twisty 20-30 min ride to Grecia. Looming clouds in the distance, but uncertainty breeds ADV! There was a tentative plan to see JDowns in Grecia at 1600hrs, suggested by me. Nothing confirmed but any excuse is a good one for a ride. I figure I will sit around the central park for a while, take in the scenery and if I don’t spot the Sherpa before dark head back to the homestead to stir up some grub.

John, I have PM’ed some more information for you in case we don't cross paths.
__________________
Greg Smith
'90 DR650RS
Costa Rica: Trippin' with GR , The Bike Teardown
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"My father taught me to work; he did not teach me to love it." -Abraham Lincoln
GRinCR is offline  
Old 12-28-2012, 04:53 PM   #1095
GRinCR
Oppressed Nomad
 
GRinCR's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Alajuela, Costa Rica via MN.
Oddometer: 324
Wicked Suspense! Sure adds to an already great story.

The park in Grecia was alive with children, most with shiny new bikes. Those without bikes were chasing after something; a toy car, a sling shot helicopter, a ball… Then right on time the church bells rang. 5 o’clock. The families dispersed to their homes, and the park lights came on shortly after. One more lap of the park, yet no sign of the Sherpa.

Did that unexplainable southern pull grab our aventurero when he hit the pista? Or did the many dirt tracks and trails of the Nicoya Peninsula take him on yet another epic AVD we will soon hear of?

Only time will tell.
__________________
Greg Smith
'90 DR650RS
Costa Rica: Trippin' with GR , The Bike Teardown
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"My father taught me to work; he did not teach me to love it." -Abraham Lincoln

GRinCR screwed with this post 12-28-2012 at 05:06 PM
GRinCR is offline  
Closed Thread

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014