User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 03:09 AM   #1111
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,652
It got dark and I rode through the night down the coast road through Quepos and Dominical. This road was dirt the last time I came through here. Now it is a smooth paved highway. The rickety one lane bridges have all been upgraded and I was surprised how quickly I made my way to Rancho DiAndrew just this side of Uvita.

I arrived just before a wedding party of 23. Good thing I did too. The bus driver didn't want to come up the hill, so Drew and I hopped in his Landcruiser pickup and went down the hill to ferry the 23 people and all their luggage up to the houses and cabins that they had rented through New Year's.

These people had been riding on this bus for 11 hours all the way from the wedding over in Puerto Viejo on the other side of the country. Some luggage had fallen off the bus and they had sick people barfing. It was quite remarkable that the whole entourage had handled the ordeal so calmly. It was a Frenchman who had married a Mexican. So the entourage included French and Mexican family members along with the bride and groom. They are an amazing group.

So I offered to stay a couple days and help Drew with this group. His only other help is his mother. You can't believe how much luggage this group has. We piled the landcruiser bed high with heavy suitcases. Maybe 40 in all. Drew was glad that I rode up tonight at 9.

We just got through shuttling all the people to the various houses around the valley along with their luggage. Finished at 2AM.

Too dark for pictures tonight. More tomorrow.

Today I spent 10,500 colones on food and gas. Around $21.00.

Buenos noches mis amigos de aventura,
Juan Rica
Old 12-30-2012, 08:44 AM   #1112
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 584
Nice string of updates. Im reading it from both ways , Im on page 30 from the beginning and reading the new post as it comes in . Im left handed so I always start a book from the back .
Old 12-30-2012, 11:47 AM   #1113
donniemac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Hey John! Well I finally got "The Button" to work! What is that photo site you use? I am still in Abe's camp! I will probably head to CR on the 2nd!
Old 12-30-2012, 01:06 PM   #1114
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Hi Donnie,

Good to hear from you!

For photo hosting I use:

smugmug.com

The man who started ADVrider is behind smugmug and I like to give him my business.

Hope to see you down the road.

Adios amigo,
Juanito
Old 12-30-2012, 01:38 PM   #1115
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

My office for the morning out in the outdoor kitchen in an open air yurt:

The outdoor cantilevered jungle shower with a view:

and the view while you're taking a shower:

and the sleeping quarters:

and the view from the yurt door looking out towards the beach far below:

It hasn't changed much in the two years since I was here last. Very mellow place to hang out. I will be here for a few days helping out with guests. Right now I am manning a walkie-talkie in case the wedding guests have questions while Andrew and his mom are doing lunch food prep.

Went up to visit the lady up the hill this morning. I had tiled her kitchen counter when I was here last. Two years later it still looks good. No cracks in the grout lines and it looks like it did when I installed it. She was happy to see me. We sat around and talked for a couple hours and I came back down to the ranch to help out. Here is the kitchen counter:

more later……
Old 12-30-2012, 02:46 PM   #1116
rtwpaul
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hola Pablo,

Marta remembers the crazy tatooed Brit. I had breakfast there this morning. And no I didn't know she was Matildas hermana.

Good to hear Peñas Blancas has streamlined. I'm still heading over on the other side of Lago Nicaragua to do research and development on the Los Chiles border in case others want to avoid the PanAm and enter Costa Rica through the back door.

Thanks for the tips. Keep up the good work on your ride report. I am enjoying it immensely.

Cheers,
John
don't know if this will catch you in time...there is no one selling insurance anymore at that border so you have to leave your bike with customs and get a bus $5 or a Taxi $100 into the nearest town that sells it, about a minimum 4 hour round trip, it took anjisan two days to complete it, hope you have better luck or can buy panama insurance somewhere else
Old 12-30-2012, 02:50 PM   #1117
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
don't know if this will catch you in time...there is no one selling insurance anymore at that border so you have to leave your bike with customs and get a bus $5 or a Taxi $100 into the nearest town that sells it, about a minimum 4 hour round trip, it took anjisan two days to complete it, hope you have better luck or can buy panama insurance somewhere else
Hi Paul,

I skipped that border because of rain. Headed through Peñas Blancas instead. Probably all for the better.

Thanks for the heads up though for others who may read this later.

Look forward to pics of you smoking big fat Cuban cigars in the coming weeks. Suerte amigo.

Best,
Juan Rica
Old 12-30-2012, 05:57 PM   #1118
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Very relaxed day today. Not much to report. I'll take pictures tomorrow of the waterfalls and canyon swimming. I am going to accompany Drew and be of assistance in anything he needs help with. Like herding 23 wedding guests down the trail and keeping them from drowning at the waterfalls. Should be fun.

He still remembers Crashmaster and Misery Goat from their visit a couple years ago. He likes ADVriders. They are low maintenance. Unlike the crew he has staying here right now.

It turns out this is a kind of work exchange so no cost today. I never left the valley. The normal charge for ADVriders here is 5000 colones or 10 bucks to camp in the yurts here. They have a sign down on the main road pointing up here now. The name of the valley is San Josecito . The sign for Rancho Diandrew and driveway are on the left hand side and it is about 6 kilometers up the fairly steep gravel road. Highly recommended if you're in the area.

Buenos noches,
Juanito

JDowns screwed with this post 12-30-2012 at 06:40 PM
Old 12-30-2012, 11:12 PM   #1119
AussieAlexS
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Hi John,
Just made a donation to the travel fund. Keep it going. Who knows you might end up down under one day. You know you have a place to stay on the Gold Coast if you make it here.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:35 AM   #1120
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Hi AussieAlexS,

Thanks so much!

I'll go sign your name on the gas tank. Glad to have you along as Chief Executive in charge of Oceania Travel Relations.

If you ever get to the states you have a free place to stay in Northern Nebraska as well. Glad to have you along for the ride.

Cheers,
Juan
Old 12-31-2012, 08:41 AM   #1121
GRinCR
Oppressed Nomad

Oddometer: 324
Cry I burned the beans, but I'm all caught up.

Tio Juanito!!!

Great RR. Really like the unique view of all the ruins through the eyes of a Mason. I liked Guatemala quite a bit: seems a realistic goal. The yurts you are in now look very nice too.

Mil Gracias to you, from all of us here, for stopping by. It was a pleasure to have an ADV rider of such epic proportions in the house and we hope more can make the pit stop in their journeys. Really enjoyed having you. Other aventureros: PM me if the need arises.

QC: Ride? Cuando no? I'll be in touch.

Take care in your tavels John. Que Dios le acomapñe!

Pura Vida
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"My father taught me to work; he did not teach me to love it." -Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-31-2012, 10:05 AM   #1122
riderddonald
Lost rider

Oddometer: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Very relaxed day today. Not much to report. I'll take pictures tomorrow of the waterfalls and canyon swimming. I am going to accompany Drew and be of assistance in anything he needs help with. Like herding 23 wedding guests down the trail and keeping them from drowning at the waterfalls. Should be fun.

He still remembers Crashmaster and Misery Goat from their visit a couple years ago. He likes ADVriders. They are low maintenance. Unlike the crew he has staying here right now.

It turns out this is a kind of work exchange so no cost today. I never left the valley. The normal charge for ADVriders here is 5000 colones or 10 bucks to camp They have a sign down on the main road pointing up here now. The name of the valley is San Josecito . The sign for Rancho Diandrew and driveway are on the left hand side and it is about 6 kilometers up the fairly steep gravel road. Highly recommended if you're in the area.

Buenos noches,
Juanito
Was just in CR a few weeks ago riding around. Wish we would have known about this place. Sounds cool. We'll keep it in mind for next time. Have a great time and be safe.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:36 PM   #1123
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRinCR View Post
Tio Juanito!!!

Great RR. Really like the unique view of all the ruins through the eyes of a Mason. I liked Guatemala quite a bit: seems a realistic goal. The yurts you are in now look very nice too.

Mil Gracias to you, from all of us here, for stopping by. It was a pleasure to have an ADV rider of such epic proportions in the house and we hope more can make the pit stop in their journeys. Really enjoyed having you. Other aventureros: PM me if the need arises.

QC: Ride? Cuando no? I'll be in touch.

Take care in your tavels John. Que Dios le acomapñe!

Pura Vida
Hola Greg,

I really liked staying at your place. Appreciate your kind hospitality. I can see little Joseph graduating from his trike to a moto in another 15 years and you two will have some fun.

And yes, Guatemala is just up the road. Lots of fun places to explore up there. Not to mention southern Costa Rica riding.

Muchas gracias amigo,
Tio Juanito
Old 12-31-2012, 03:45 PM   #1124
Paratrout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Happy New Year John! Thanks again for this awesome ride report!

2008 KLR 650
Old 12-31-2012, 06:18 PM   #1125
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
Thanks for posting your report. Its good reading.