User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 05:52 AM   #1231
SavannahCapt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Crossing the gap

"So around 400 dollars all in for him and his KLR. That is more like it. These boats stop along the way in Kuna villages and drop off propane, gas and beer etc, and pick up goods to sell up the coast."

That sounds like a fun adventure. Well, of course I'm sitting here in my easy chair thinking about how fun it would be to read the report.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:10 AM   #1232
legends117
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
En
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowernOlder View Post
Google "Darian Gap"
Ah...now I get it. Thanks for the explanation. : Having never been south of Alligator Alley, I was unfamiliar with this geographical formation. Seems like few have successfully crossed it without significant effort and expense.
legends117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:42 AM   #1233
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by legends117 View Post
En

Ah...now I get it. Thanks for the explanation. : Having never been south of Alligator Alley, I was unfamiliar with this geographical formation. Seems like few have successfully crossed it without significant effort and expense.
Plus if you run in to FARC you are fucked
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:47 AM   #1234
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
Plus if you run in to FARC you are fucked
You are just as likely to run into the FARC south of Bogota as you are on the Darien, from what I've read, maybe even more likely to.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:51 AM   #1235
TUCKERS
the famous james

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
You are just as likely to run into the FARC south of Bogota as you are on the Darien, from what I've read, maybe even more likely to.
Oh OK then. Where did you read this, have you got a reference? I'd like to take a look, I'm doing a study of this journey for myself and my wife to do. (Not the Darien overland...what land?..no way would I attempt THAT journey).
Old 01-11-2013, 11:05 AM   #1236
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 3,978
Come on guys. CSM

Google FARC talks Oslo or FARC killings...

Looking forward to the crossing JDowns.
OldPete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:19 AM   #1237
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
Oh OK then. Where did you read this, have you got a reference? I'd like to take a look, I'm doing a study of this journey for myself and my wife to do. (Not the Darien overland...what land?..no way would I attempt THAT journey).
I don't have any hard facts on this, but Glen Heggstad (Striking Viking on ADV) was kidnapped by FARC somewhere between Bogota and Medellin, as I understand it. I thought it actually occurred South of Bogota, but I was apparently mistakenly. Granted, this was 11 years ago. Googled "Farc Active Areas" and you'll see data from fairly recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPete View Post
Come on guys. CSM

Google FARC talks Oslo or FARC killings...
Yes, FARC had peace talks 2 months ago with the Columbian government. I can't find ANYTHING where they actually came to a deal though, did they?

Don't get me wrong, I'd ride in Columbia, but better to be prepared and with REAL answers, than not having a clue.

I can't wait to see how John gets around to Columbia either.

John, I think I spoke up a long while back in this thread, but thanks again for posting this. All of the pictures of Panama are incredible. I lived there from Age 2 through Age 7, and while I don't remember much about it, I still look through my parents photos, and the contrast between then and now is incredible.

Keep it up! Thanks
Old 01-11-2013, 11:47 AM   #1238
x32792
Cracker American

Oddometer: 614
When you're FARC'd, you're FARC'd

I don't believe there is any possible political solution which will limit kidnapping and dealing drugs -- When you're FARC'd, you're FARC'd.
x32792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:05 PM   #1239
TUCKERS
the famous james

Quote:
Originally Posted by x32792 View Post
I don't believe there is any possible political solution which will limit kidnapping and dealing drugs -- When you're FARC'd, you're FARC'd.

That's wha I thought

Enough of this, back to your regularly scheduled program
Old 01-11-2013, 02:15 PM   #1240
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,614
Didn't go anywhere today other than walking around town. Checking out gringo swimwear. I've still got my flame trunks so no need to stock up on more casual wear.:

A nicer shot of the church in downtown Portobelo:

The local buses have style but compared to Guatemala and the Phillipines they still have a ways to go:

Here is Captain Jack's where I'm staying up the hill from the church:

The TV lounge:

Cafe bar:

Downstairs bunks in the brig:

Compared to a submarine the accommodations are quite spacious. I look at it as good training for when I get kidnapped by the FARC. I mostly hang out in the back at the picnic table where nobody goes except the occasional German pot smokers. My office for this afternoon:

These cheap backpacker hostels make most of their money on food and beer. If you go elsewhere for food they are quite economical places to stay. For instance instead of eating todays special of Spagetti and garlic bread for 9 bucks I went down to the store and spent a fraction of that. If you drink a few beers and eat three meals a day here it is still only maybe 50 bucks a day.

Spent $ 23.80 on food and lodging today.

Tomorrow is a festival in Portobelo. Something to do with Spaniards and Free Blacks. The Spanish are the diablos and wear big devil masks. Should be fun.

There are a pile of backpackers waiting around to head to Colombia. I'll wait around until Monday and see what develops and take it from there.

Hasta Mañana,
Juanito
Old 01-11-2013, 08:38 PM   #1241
aDave
Lovin' Life!

Oddometer: 184
Just Curious...

I don't think that JD would care much...but I am wondering why this ride report is not sporting a rating yet?

Small bike, laid back author, super small budget, individual advrider financially assisted, wonderful locations, attempt by the author to assist future riders with their own adventure, in real time, family friendly, work safe and expanding our masonry historical perspective of ancient ruins. I'm loving this...

I've cast my vote. Fantastic!
Dave

Pacifism is a luxury of the defended.
aDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:30 PM   #1242
Dracula
Deus ex machina

Oddometer: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by aDave View Post
I don't think that JD would care much...but I am wondering why this ride report is not sporting a rating yet?

Small bike, laid back author, super small budget, individual advrider financially assisted, wonderful locations, attempt by the author to assist future riders with their own adventure, in real time, family friendly, work safe and expanding our masonry historical perspective of ancient ruins. I'm loving this...

Dave
+1
The picture quality seems even better now and the Darien crossing suspense keeps me checking in few times a day.
Dracula is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:22 AM   #1243
legends117
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
+1
The picture quality seems even better now and the Darien crossing suspense keeps me checking in few times a day.
+1 fo' dat
legends117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:46 AM   #1244
Paratrout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Thumb

Quote:

Dave
agreed. This is a top notch ride report.

2008 KLR 650
Paratrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:54 AM   #1245
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,614
Quote:

Dave
Hi Dave,

Glad you are enjoying the ride report. The ratings don't show up on some computers apparently. I noticed when I was using cmnthead's iPad earlier this week that this report didn't come up with a rating.

However, because of people like yourself it actually does have a five star rating on this computer.

Glad to have you along for the ride. It's a bit like an ADVrider reality show. I never know where this ride is going any more than you do.

Kindest regards,
John Downs