Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 05:30 PM   #1381
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery Goat View Post
There's lots of bike bits in Medellin, you know you have Al (turtleshead) and Federico (motoshop) in El Poblado and they're connected with the moto community. There's also members here in Medellin connected with the Japanese bike shops..I'm sure you'll have options once you get to Medellin.

John, give a shout if you have problems getting the bike to Medellin. I'm sure we can figure something out.
Hola MG,

I look forward to Medellin. After hanging with the rasta boys who have hitchhiked through Mexico and Central America, I will make a cardboard Medellin sign and roll down the highway pushing the Sherpa with my thumb out if I have to now that I've zip tied the busted fork lowers to the bent axle and the bike rolls.

Saludos,
Juanito
Old 01-27-2013, 06:16 PM   #1382
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 578
John Ive been tring to find swap candidates for you but all I found so far is on page 74 of the super sherpa thread here is I think a complete tree swap by member 3xu in Vietnam , maybe this might help

Quote:
Front fork: Honda CRF.
the many stages of mods and I'll try to post the most informative
sorry my english is very bad and I used google translate

I used to upgrade the front fork of the serow 2005. it's works very well.
Not sure how common those bikes are there but just digging right now .

Same bike , same mod .
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/.../message/17376

Hawk62cj5 screwed with this post 01-27-2013 at 06:25 PM
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:37 PM   #1383
jkam
Nomadic Man

Oddometer: 3,798
Hola mi Hermano Juanito.

I've been following along from the start and have to commend you on your attitude, perspective, wit and humor. This is one of the best ride reports EVER here on ADV.

The Sherpa is an awesome ride, I had one for 5 years and it was just bulletproof. Unfortunately, they don't take being slammed into docks by boats very well. I'm sure there is a set of forks down in Colombia that will fit without too much hassle.
Seems like you are getting plenty of help and advise so I'll keep my yap shut on that. I look forward to your continued adventure and excellent reporting.

Safe travels!
Old 01-27-2013, 07:56 PM   #1384
Salsa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
KX85,RM85,YZ85 or CR85 are all good forks that would be fine for the Sherpa. I have the KX/RM on my bike and they are excellent. The KX and RM are 35mm. You may have to find stiffer springs or use your old ones if they fit.

New Kawasaki forks will definitely dent your budget.

Don
Salsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:10 PM   #1385
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by salsa View Post
kx85,rm85,yz85 or cr85 are all good forks that would be fine for the sherpa. I have the kx/rm on my bike and they are excellent. The kx and rm are 35mm. You may have to find stiffer springs or use your old ones if they fit.

New kawasaki forks will definitely dent your budget.

Don

used on ebay right now for $120
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:14 PM   #1386
KLRmonkey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Just a Thought...

Here's another link, the KLX forks may fit okay and offer for $99.

KLX 250 Front Forks

Hope you get her fixed up okay. You have a great attitude about it, so karma will be kind soon I think.
KLRmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:24 PM   #1387
AndyT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
It's been a few years, but in 2006 I stayed at a hostel in Medellin called Casa Kiwi. It is run by New Zelander by way of Seattle guy who is a rider and is very helpful and knowledgeable. He also has garage space which he let me use to do some maitenance when I was there. It is in a neigborhood with quite a few moto shops as well. www.casakiwi.net I have no doubt you can cobble up a fix in Medellin regardless.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:42 PM   #1388
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

ADVrider beauty shots of the Sherpa:

and another from Mr. Blurrycam:

It could be worse. I could have to tear apart the bike in my garage in Nebraska in sub-zero weather.

Hasta mañana,
Juanito
Old 01-28-2013, 04:09 AM   #1389
GuateRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,366
Hola John, sorry to hear aout your misadventure ! I hope you will get it fixed soon so you can co on with your incredible journey.
Suerte,
Julio
Old 01-28-2013, 07:38 AM   #1390
kwakbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
Certainly not the ideal way to adjust rake and trail
With a will(and a large hammer) theres always a way to make things fit

More fun being upright
kwakbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:56 AM   #1391
BeachGuy
Alabama & Costa Rica

Oddometer: 438
Photos show the need of a big roll of duct tape and two or maybe three packs of JB weld. You should be rolling in no time.

Let's see what happens next, I'll bet you'll be surprised at what the mechanic and parts hounds in Medellin can come up with.

2010 Ride Report: Orange Beach, AL to Jaco Beach, Costa Rica
2011 Ride Report: Costa Rica to Panama back to Costa Rica
One of the beautiful things about riding solo is the quality of the social experience.
BeachGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:14 AM   #1392
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

I have left the Kuna Yala time warp and things are moving along rapidly. Woke up this morning and went down to the dock just in time to see the El Pipe (peepay) swing into the harbor. Talked to the captain and he wanted 150,000 pesos to take the Sherpa to Turbo. At 1800 Colombian pesos to the dollar. I think that's like 80 bucks or so. I only had 126,000 in my wallet so he took that instead. So around 70 dollars.

Two backpackers I had met last night were on the other pier and helped me wheel the Sherpa to the smaller loading dock. Overnight someone had moved the Sherpa and the zipties slipped off, so we had to hobble the bike down the long rickety wooden 2x6 pier with wide spaces between the boards. Parked it in the way of loading so they would have to put it on board. My plan worked and the Sherpa was safely aboard the El Pipe and should be in Turbo this afternoon.

Next was getting on a fast launcha. They were booked for today, but added another boat at the last minute for 8AM, so I paid the 55,000 peso fare (30.00) and ran back to the Hostal Capurgana and changed more money, paid for my two nights stay and grabbed my bags and ran to the dock just in time to board the launcha.

Three hours of pounding through the waves later I arrived in Turbo. The boat holds 32 passengers and only 16 were on board so the front end was flying over the swells and whamming. Salt spray everywhere. I am a seasoned Kuna mariner so it was a fun ride for me. Everyone else in my row was puking their guts out. But even with that odor mixed with leaking gasoline it didn't bother me.

Just call me seadog. I was happy to arrive in Turbo. Unloading my panniers, topbox, bag of riding gear and duffel, I realized it was a tough job walking to find someplace to stay until the Sherpa arrives this afternoon.

So I sat in a secluded area, bought a coke and relaxed in the shade weighing my options. I vaguely remembered the English guy I met in Nicaragua mentioning Casa Florida or somesuch as being close to the dock with wifi and a helpful dueño (owner). So I put on my riding gear and helmet and carried the saddlebags in one hand and the duffel and topbox in the other and limped down the street in search of a sign. Didn't have to walk far. Residencias Florida is right next to the new park a block away. 20,000 pesos (11.50) for a private room with bath.

The owner John is very helpful and called to see what it would cost to get my bike to Medellin. 100,000 pesos or about 60 bucks. The trucker can take it tonight. But it is too soon to get a truck. Have to wait until the bike is ashore. And figure out where to take it in Medellin.

They weighed my bags before getting on the launcha and the saddlebags weigh 10 kilos, the duffel is 8 and the topbox is 6. So 24 kilos of gear. Times 2.2 that is a little over 50 lbs. Just an interesting sidenote.

There is free public wifi in the park across the street. I am sitting at a table on the second floor balcony typing this across from the park. Turbo seems like a nice place. Lots of hustle and bustle since it's a port town. Caribe music floating across from the park. Bricks being loaded on a horse drawn cart below me. People hanging out in the shade enjoying the day. I like this place.

So things are looking up. After pounding over the waves and being off the grid I have some catching up to do. I will continue uploading pictures and filling in the details of the last couple weeks.

I look forward to wrenching to some salsa Colombiana music in Medellin. Couldn't take any pictures today since the camera was in the plastic bag with the computer in the topbox.

More later as things develop……

JDowns screwed with this post 01-28-2013 at 09:20 AM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:41 AM   #1393
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,298
Buenas noticias
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:54 AM   #1394
Salsa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
ADVrider beauty shots of the Sherpa:

and another from Mr. Blurrycam:

It could be worse. I could have to tear apart the bike in my garage in Nebraska in sub-zero weather.

Hasta mañana,
Juanito
No Problema !

That looks just like a bike I lengthened the forks by cutting the lower at that place and added a piece of tubing to it. Now is your chance.

Get all the oil out and slide the leg into the lower unit and weld the lower. In my case I made the extra piece slightly larger than the lower leg and spaced it by putting a piece of paper in it between the steel tune and the inserted piece. I raced on it for a couple of years.

Don
Salsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:01 PM   #1395
beerguy
adrenaline junky

Oddometer: 30
help from a brother

as a fellow owner of a sherpa (2001), it seems only right to help with cost of repairs. must look out for the preservation of the breed. seems you have recovered from the emotional setback and in full vagabond mode again.
beerguy is offline   Reply With Quote