Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 01:51 PM   #1471
FatBob
The name says it all

Oddometer: 468
That's great John. The Sherpa lives! :)

Blessed at Zombie fest, it's back from the dead.

Ride Safe, Ride Often
Old 01-31-2013, 02:40 PM   #1472
VooDooDaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Great news John. It gives many of us who plan to follow in your tire tracks the confidence in knowing and seeing you overcome these small, unexpected slumps.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:18 PM   #1473
Harry94025
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
What is the link to send John some fork replacement funds?

Thanks,
Harry
Old 01-31-2013, 03:54 PM   #1474
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry94025 View Post

Thanks,
Harry
Edit: removed the link to donation page after learning that it is against the rule.. sorry! Thanks to JDowns for pointing that out.

WhicheverAnyWayCan screwed with this post 01-31-2013 at 04:12 PM
Old 01-31-2013, 04:03 PM   #1475
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry94025 View Post

Thanks,
Harry
Hi Harry94025,

The admins removed the link. It is against ride report rules to have a link to a paypal account. Also asked me to stop thanking people publicly, so I'll send PMs from now on. And will have to stop giving reports of donations.

Them's the rules, and I will gladly abide by them now that I understand.

Kindest regards,
John Downs
Old 01-31-2013, 04:08 PM   #1476
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,652
The guard dog didn't even get up to say goodbye as I left Turbo yesterday:

A lot of women are riding around on small step throughs like this little Suzuki:

Here the boys are in front of the guesthouse loading a tuk-tuk with padrillas (bricks):

I really like this Yamaha 250X outfitted with fat rims and 18" wheels front and rear. Those forks would look good on the Sherpa:

The feretarria next door loads up cement and rebar on a horse drawn flatbed for local deliveries. They just let the 20 foot lengths of rebar drag on the ground and everyone seems to avoid running over them:

I even saw a fellow on a scooter dragging three 20 foot lengths of pvc pipe down the street with his left hand while he steered with his right. A wouldn't like to be the plumber trying to put fittings on that pipe.

Here is the Sherpa being tied down in the delivery truck in Turbo:

and here is my ride:

The road started out as a nice paved two lane for the first 100 kilometers through banana plantations:

But it soon got dark and the road started to climb and deteriorate. Stopping for coffee and to pick up packages:

It was like a land version of the Kuna cargo boat, stopping to pick up and drop off stuff. Coconuts, boxes of this and that. Here I bought some pupusas from a one-eyed happy Colombiano:

We stopped in Antioquia to pick up the truck drivers novia (girlfriend) named Luz:

We dropped Luz off a 100 kilometers down the road. They were gone for a while so I can guess why he was smiling when he came back to the truck. The road turned to alternating pavement and gravel for long stretches with single lane traffic through landslides. Here we stopped to take a pic of a poisonous snake with his pencil head sticking up cobra style. Hard to see:

Got into Medellin at 4AM after an 11 hour ride. I slept by the truck until 7AM when this car showed up to deliver the Sherpa the last few kilometers to Orlando Trespalacios garage:

Here they are after stuffing the bike in the trunk. He roped it in and it didn't fall out in thick rush hour traffic. No need to worry if the front end sticking out to the left gets whacked. It's already toast:

Orlando is Trespalacio's Dad. What a great guy. I had a hard time keeping up with him today. Got the Sherpa out of the car and wheeled it into a covered area. Had to use a hammer to bend the axle enough to be able to unscrew it with a pipe wrench:

jacked up the bike and hung it from the rafters with a rope to start taking off the forks:

Here is Orlando:

and the Sherpa over in the corner after stripping off all the nasty bits:

Well okay, the bike is filthy and there are still some nasty bits I need to attend to. But for now the mission was to find a front end. Orlando hailed a cab and we hit the road looking for used parts. Here we are at a shop with the broken wheel and a bag of Sherpa hurt on the ground while Orlando is calling the next place:

after a couple stops we got to Eduardo's shop up on Avenida Buenaventura in the south hills:

Eduardo had a decent set of forks off a Suzuki trescientos setenta (370). Never heard of it. But it used a 21" front wheel and the Sherpa triples slid on the fork tubes like butter. Same exact spacing and 36mm fork tube diameter. Then Eduardo dug out a campaña (hub) that had the same 36 radios (spoke) pattern as the Sherpa. The guy has or can make everything to make a new Sherpa front end using the Sherpa triples, steering head bearings and dust seals, Suzuki fork tubes, new spokes, good used rotor off some kind of bike, Suzuki axle and front hub, Sherpa rim and tire, and Sherpa caliper and brake master cylinder. Using the Sherpa triples means all the gauges and lights will bolt back on the bracket holes. And the Sherpa front high fender will bolt back on the lower triple.

So by 1PM everything was set. Eduardo did a calculation of parts and labor and came up with 670,000 pesos or around 375 bucks. Probably less than shipping in used parts from the states and it will be ready in 2 days. I could never have done this by myself in 5 hours. Orlando is the man. He made it all happen. Three cheers for the Trespalacio family. We left all the Sherpa front end parts at Eduardo's shop and took the metro train home:

and went out for some lunch, stopped at a cajero automatic to withdraw some pesos to pay Eduardo before driving up in the hills so I could drop off some laundry and visit Señora Trespalacios and use their computer. I am now back down where I'll be staying in a spare room at the parking garage. Will go over to a local internet cafe and upload this now.

Hasta Mañana,
Juan Colombiano
Old 01-31-2013, 04:12 PM   #1477
Harry94025
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hi Harry94025,

The admins removed the link. It is against ride report rules to have a link to a paypal account. Also asked me to stop thanking people publicly, so I'll send PMs from now on. And will have to stop giving reports of donations.

Them's the rules, and I will gladly abide by them now that I understand.

Kindest regards,
John Downs
Hi John,

Thanks for the note and glad to read your bike will be repaired soon...

Regards,
Harry
Old 01-31-2013, 04:22 PM   #1478
Voidrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 992
Just awesome John...just awesome.

And here's another advantage to "simple small bikes"!
Old 01-31-2013, 04:32 PM   #1479
mario33
Howling around...

Oddometer: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
You may consider to set up separate thread in 'Yo momma' section of the forum. There you can give details and deliver financial reports. And link it here without any specific caption (just for those that would like to know). You may ask admins if it would be OK...
Old 01-31-2013, 04:37 PM   #1480
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourjon View Post
Agreed. Sometimes I dislike all the added comments in RR's but for a real time report it's got to be comforting to know somebody is keeping an eye out.

As far as the stars I'd never investigated to see how those ratings were done. Now I know and I have voted!

John

John D, this is where I am in your report, page 12. I haven't skipped ahead to see where you are now, but after running across this, I had to give you a shout out with a "Dios lo acompañe!" and kudos on a very entertaining and educational report. I, too, just rated a thread for the first time. I am very much enjoying the details you put into this, and I hope you are well where you are. I expect things to get even more interesting once you get out of the states. I'm trying to catch up without skipping ahead, let's see how well I can avoid the temptation...
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 01-31-2013, 04:44 PM   #1481
trespalacios
Oh libertad

Oddometer: 689
Keeping up with Orlando

Dad used to be a wild motorcycle rider, or maybe just a regular Colombian rider for that matter . But now, at 70 y.o. I can barely keep up with him hiking up the mountains or dodging pedestrians in the thick of downtown. He keeps amazing me with his disposition to help and make stuff happen.

This one is for you Dad

Now back to the RR

Antioquia, tierra de mis amores
Some trail riding stories
Old 01-31-2013, 05:17 PM   #1482
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,410
Hey John D,

Old 01-31-2013, 05:32 PM   #1483
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,532
So with the cheap crossing, and the repair costs would you spend an extra $200 to get your bike across in good shape?
Old 01-31-2013, 05:39 PM   #1484
trespalacios
Oh libertad

Oddometer: 689
Keeping up with Orlando

Dad used to be a wild motorcycle rider, or maybe just a regular Colombian rider for that matter . But now, at 70 y.o. I can barely keep up with him hiking up the mountains or dodging pedestrians in the thick of downtown. He keeps amazing me with his disposition to help and make stuff happen.

This one is for you Dad

Now back to the RR

Antioquia, tierra de mis amores
Some trail riding stories
Old 01-31-2013, 06:14 PM   #1485
Dracula
Deus ex machina

Oddometer: 1,043
John's story truly helps me understand actual meaning of being a traveler not intent on arriving, seeking to find the real values in the travel itself. The Sherpa damage has turned into nothing else but an opportunity to meet the nicest people one could ever hope by taking the hardest path and accepting whatever comes that way.
Closed Thread