ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #1
Mikey10000 OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Oddometer: 29
1150 GSA Engine Removal

the short story, I bought the bike with broken chain guides. So i proceeded to take it apart so i can split the cases, I started to follow the Haynes manual and i have read and reread 'Bones engine resurrection' and Fishermans '1150 GSA engine swap' but have a few questions, should i follow the Haynes manual to the letter or should i mix in some of the other advice? Also should i completely remove the ABS or try not to disconnect it?

I bought a ramp and wheel chock and that is making things easier.

Thanks

Mike
Mikey10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:17 PM   #2
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 47,871
Mix where it makes sense. Haynes isn't always the best way.

You may have to partly disassemble the brake hoses, not a big deal, but make sure you can seal them to reduce the dripping.

It is a PITA job, and getting it all back together is a pain. Take lots of pictures as you go, and bag-n-tag the hardware.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #3
def
I've little to say
 
def's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: The woods and mountains of Alabama
Oddometer: 8,239
I want to read and see details of the engine innards and your work. I may have some broken chain rails myself.
def is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:32 PM   #4
bone13
Gnarly Adventurer
 
bone13's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Knoxville, TN
Oddometer: 267
You will need to disconnect the abs to do this without the frame removal jig (not sure if you would with it or not)

Basically it boils down to this. Your not removing the engine from the bike, your removing the bike from the engine.
IT can be accomplished without the jig (I know i did it) but a friend to help will make it go MUCH easier! especially when it comes to the final frame removal and reinstallation. I had no such help and cussed a lot because of it... lol

A few things to note, you will need something to support the front of the engine once the front end is removed. I used a car jack. were I to do this job again I would probably build a wooden stand as the car jack was a little unstable.

A metal milk crate if you dont have a proper engine stand work great to set the motor on it's side to do the final split. Be sure to put some rags down on the edges to protect your engine case.

I dont have the Haynes manual I used the factory. But I would HIGHLY recommend getting a copy of the factory manual to do this job. The diagrams alone were life savers both in tear down and reassembly of the engine. Factory manual diagrams show exact bolt locations, sizes and torque specs in exploded form, and there are a lot of "hidden bolts" that your not likely to notice without those diagrams.
Many times I was having trouble getting things to separate, would go back to the factory manual and count the bolts in the diagram and realize I missed one somewhere, then start chasing each bolt in the diagram till I found what I missed.

You can fairly easily find PDFs of the factory manual out on the net for download

One final tip - Ziplock baggies and a sharpe marker are your friends to keep bolts together for sections of the bike. There are A LOT of them. Bag and tag em (for where they went) as you go. IT will keep you from tearing your hair out when it's time for reassembly.

If I can be of any help, feel free to drop me a message. Be glad to try and point you in a proper direction if you get stuck.
__________________
The Trouble with Trouble is it usually starts with Fun

www.ridgerunneradventures.com
bone13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:31 AM   #5
Steptoe
steptoe
 
Steptoe's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: london, England
Oddometer: 2,426
STOP.... You do not have to split the engine to replace broken chain guides.

It is possible to replace them by filing a section out of the new guide and "snapping" them in place.
I've done several, and also know of many more repaired the same way with no problems whatsoever. A couple of them have done more than 50K miles since the repair.

The hardest part is removing the old guide where it locates on the dowel.
__________________
www.gsshop.co.uk
Steptoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:53 AM   #6
def
I've little to say
 
def's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: The woods and mountains of Alabama
Oddometer: 8,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
STOP.... You do not have to split the engine to replace broken chain guides.

It is possible to replace them by filing a section out of the new guide and "snapping" them in place.
I've done several, and also know of many more repaired the same way with no problems whatsoever. A couple of them have done more than 50K miles since the repair.

The hardest part is removing the old guide where it locates on the dowel.
Whoa there mate, I need more information and detail....can you explain this filing a bit more? As for the removal of the old, can you not just remove the dowel? I believe its a bolt, no?

If I am understanding you, your procedure can be done on the center stand, yes? Might not even have to change the oil.....

If this works, I'll pop by and buy you a pint and some spotted dick.

Cheers.
def is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:56 AM   #7
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 47,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
Whoa there mate, I need more information and detail....can you explain this filing a bit more? As for the removal of the old, can you not just remove the dowel? I believe its a bolt, no?

If I am understanding you, your procedure can be done on the center stand, yes? Might not even have to change the oil.....

If this works, I'll pop by and buy you a pint and some spotted dick.

Cheers.
Def, there is a thread on this somewhere. It looked a bit tricky, but definitely doable.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:55 AM   #8
Anorak
Woolf Barnato
 
Anorak's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: OAK
Oddometer: 32,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey10000 View Post
the short story, I bought the bike with broken chain guides. So i proceeded to take it apart so i can split the cases, I started to follow the Haynes manual and i have read and reread 'Bones engine resurrection' and Fishermans '1150 GSA engine swap' but have a few questions, should i follow the Haynes manual to the letter or should i mix in some of the other advice? Also should i completely remove the ABS or try not to disconnect it?

I bought a ramp and wheel chock and that is making things easier.

Thanks

Mike
I split the cases on a junk engine and took some photos here.
__________________
'Gonna get me a six pack...push people off the highway!'

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014