User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 03:57 PM   #1
Kingsized OP
Kingsized Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
Ohlins 436 question

I installed these Ohlins about a month ago and today had my seat off working on something else. I noticed a pin sticking up from the top of the shock about a half inch near where the remote pre-load adjuster is located. Can anyone who has a GS and this shock run out the garage and tell me if theirs is sticking up like this? I tried to press it down but it seems pretty solid.
Kingsized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:03 PM   #2
Jazz62
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 977
Different bike and shock but the Ohlins rear shock I put on my '07 Multistrada 1100 had the same. Maybe 1mm shorter but that's it.
Jazz62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:03 PM   #3
erkmania
Still Adventuring

Oddometer: 807
That pin is necessary for the hydraulic preloader slave to function correctly and not change its clocked position. As you crank the preload knob watch the pin descend to a nearly flush position with the spring seat.

It's completely normal.

As a sidenote - I noticed that the bolt socket-head was rounded somewhat. Next time you remove the shock, loosen the nut first before cranking on the ratchet. That will save you from damaging the socket head further.

2011 BMW R1200GS, 2004 KTM 950, 1996 ATK 605 ESDS
erkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:14 PM   #4
Kingsized OP
Kingsized Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkmania View Post
That pin is necessary for the hydraulic preloader slave to function correctly and not change its clocked position. As you crank the preload knob watch the pin descend to a nearly flush position with the spring seat.

It's completely normal.

As a sidenote - I noticed that the bolt socket-head was rounded somewhat. Next time you remove the shock, loosen the nut first before cranking on the ratchet. That will save you from damaging the socket head further.
Cool, thank you both. Amazing what little I know sometimes.

And, yes, I had some great help with the install but heavy handed. I didn't install the rear. I was putting the front back together and my friends worked on the rear and I saw the same thing. When I take it off for rebuild in the future, I'll probably order a replacement bolt.

Than you again!
Kingsized is offline   Reply With Quote