Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 06:43 PM   #16
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 7,966
Nope C9 I never heard that one before. I'll try it.

I try to feel the twist grip moment of contact. So I watch one or the other butterfly lever and see if I can feel the moment of opening in the twist grip. Then I look at the other butterfly lever and see if I can find the same point of feelingb the opening.

You can also just check for the same amount of free play at the adjustment screws on the carbs. Well that may just be the initial setting.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:13 AM   #17
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by headtube View Post
Difficult to define. A kind of bogging down but not so much that it stalls. I don't believe it's running on one cylinder momentarily until it reaches higher RPM's. It may be a carb issue. If I have (as disston says) two different Needle Jets than that may be it, because it only occurs at the lower end of throttle. I will order new ones of the same size, plus new Needles. My next move is to adjust the valves.

BTW... Main Jets are 165 - not 160 as they should be.

On a side note. I bought this bike "uncertified" for what I thought was a decent price. Why do previous owners always bugger things up by adding OR subtracting from a perfectly good motorcycle? Today I discovered that I have the wrong center stand installed.
Take appart carbs and measure everything and clean everything. Set valves and clean filter .... start from Veronica. Balancing the carbs by ear is the easiest thing to do. Engine off ... see that both open at the same time. It will be pretty close when you start it. It is not the voodoo you fear. Unless you are absolutely hearing impaired they will be ok.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:06 PM   #18
Kt-88
I like everything.

Oddometer: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLO LOBO View Post
Sounds like it may be only running on one unil you get up into to rev's a bit and the second chimes in.
Mine does this when cold all the time.
Kt-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:47 PM   #19
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,330
While accelerating I find my bike accelerates smoothly until I reach a threshold at about 4200revs then all hell breaks loose & it takes off. Ok bit of exaggeration there but it does feel like a powerband at above 4200rpm. Could this be what you mean sluggish - the lag in acceleration till that point?
Padmei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:23 PM   #20
boxerboy81
Stay Horizontal

Oddometer: 2,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kt-88 View Post
Mine does this when cold all the time.
Snowbum describes a problem with the ICU as one of the possible causes of this symptom, but I can't remember which version of the ICU it was and which model it was fitted to. If the carb and aux starter cables are all good, then it may be worth considering the ICU.
boxerboy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:58 PM   #21
Kt-88
I like everything.

Oddometer: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
While accelerating I find my bike accelerates smoothly until I reach a threshold at about 4200revs then all hell breaks loose & it takes off. Ok bit of exaggeration there but it does feel like a powerband at above 4200rpm. Could this be what you mean sluggish - the lag in acceleration till that point?
Wait, this exactly. This is precisely the way my r90 acts.
Kt-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:34 AM   #22
RecycledRS
Along for the ride

Oddometer: 1,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxerboy81 View Post
Snowbum describes a problem with the ICU as one of the possible causes of this symptom, but I can't remember which version of the ICU it was and which model it was fitted to. If the carb and aux starter cables are all good, then it may be worth considering the ICU.
Mine was doing this until I replaced the ICM (ICU) with the latest heavy duty unit from Motorrad Elektrik. Now it starts on both cylinders right away.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:29 PM   #23
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxerboy81 View Post
In my expereince almost every bike I have fixed doing that was doing it because the circlip on one of the jet needles had worn the clip grooves into one quarter inch long groove.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:40 PM   #24
jocce
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Am i thinking totally wrong if i say i could do a ruff carb sync if i give a little gas on the
throttle so it just open the carbs, and then fix it in that position and then measure the distance
between carb housing and throttle blade position and make it the same on both carbs ?