Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2012, 07:22 AM   #256
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,423
Wow, you're actually making the analogy to racism! I didn't realize HD riders were a race, but if so I guess the ridiculous behavior must be hereditary, and therefore not really their fault. I retract everything I said previously. It's simply bad genetics, and they can't help it.

I should have stated in my previous post that that terrible riding, pirate costumes, badass attitude, and pack behavior could not possibly apply to every single HD rider, but only 95% of the ones I come across. My apologies to the 5%.

Why is it that the overwhelming majority of riders in states that don't require helmets who ride without one are HD riders? Motorcycling is dangerous, and most fatalities are caused by head injuries, and helmets help prevent head injuries and save lives. These are facts that no sane person can dispute. This really tells you everything you need to know about the HD culture. You want to argue that BMW riders look stupid in their Aerostich suits and moon helmets, go ahead, but if the shit hits the fan I know what I'd rather be wearing. Then again, I'm not a sheep that needs to blend in with the herd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
Are people on this forum so full of contempt towards a company or memories from the "old days" that they would to embrace a mentality reminiscent of racists and their ilk ? Why practice the same "us vs them" type of stupidity that you claim to dislike from the HD heard crowd ? Seems both idiotic and hypocritical.
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:22 AM   #257
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 5,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Ummm because we're reflecting what gets put on us 'power rangers?'

So it's a tit for tat thing? Gotcha. Got jumped by some black dudes once....Now where did my hood and cross get off to ? Also had a cyclist cut me off so now I make it my mission to fuck with bicycles because all cyclists are elitist douche bags that feel entitled to "own the road".

This is a fun game we get to play when we let personal bias and ignorance control our thoughts and actions...I'll take my bacon samich' with some home cut fries. Thanks!
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:24 AM   #258
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephvman View Post
Wow, you're actually making the analogy to racism! I didn't realize HD riders were a race, but if so I guess the ridiculous behavior must be hereditary, and therefore not really their fault. I retract everything I said previously. It's simply bad genetics, and they can't help it.

I should have stated in my previous post that that terrible riding, pirate costumes, badass attitude, and pack behavior could not possibly apply to every single HD rider, but only 95% of the ones I come across. My apologies to the 5%.

Why is it that the overwhelming majority of riders in states that don't require helmets who ride without one are HD riders? Motorcycling is dangerous, and most fatalities are caused by head injuries, and helmets help prevent head injuries and save lives. These are facts that no sane person can dispute. This really tells you everything you need to know about the HD culture. You want to argue that BMW riders look stupid in their Aerostich suits and moon helmets, go ahead, but if the shit hits the fan I know what I'd rather be wearing. Then again, I'm not a sheep that needs to blend in with the herd.

So what you are saying is that my entire post went right over your head. Got it and thanks for playing.

Ginger Beard screwed with this post 10-31-2012 at 07:38 AM
Old 10-31-2012, 07:30 AM   #259
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,423
I'm not that bright, but I'm lucky enough to be good-looking, so it really hasn't been much of a hindrance.

Quote:
So what you are saying is that my entire post went right over your head. Got it and thank for playing.
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:37 AM   #260
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Quote:
I'm not that bright, but I'm lucky enough to be good-looking, so it really hasn't been much of a hindrance.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:49 AM   #261
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,411
Quote:
Also had a cyclist cut me off so now I make it my mission to fuck with bicycles because all cyclists are elitist douche bags that feel entitled to "own the road".
I get to deal with that on a daily basis. So while you don't think it happens, I can tell you from personal experience that it does.

Think about your typical cruiser rider. What comes to mind? Pirate? Dentist? Poseur? 1%er? Hate to break it to ya, but stereotypes typically have at least a little bit of truth in em. That includes 'elitist douche bag' bicycle riders.

While I'd LOVE to have everyone play nice in the sandbox, SOMEone always wants more than their fair share.

M
Old 10-31-2012, 07:59 AM   #262
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Quote:
I get to deal with that on a daily basis. So while you don't think it happens, I can tell you from personal experience that it does. Me too. I'm a cyclist and head mechanic for a large bike shop.

Think about your typical cruiser rider. What comes to mind? Pirate? Dentist? Poseur? 1%er? Hate to break it to ya, but stereotypes typically have at least a little bit of truth in em. That includes 'elitist douche bag' bicycle riders.

While I'd LOVE to have everyone play nice in the sandbox, SOMEone always wants more than their fair share.

M

I agree with you wholeheartedly on your above post.

Where I differ is that in spite of stereotypes having a bit of truth, I try not to assume that someone fits that preconception until I know them. Then I will let them know that they are a douche. I also try not to use terms that are derogatory to an entire group such as Hardley ,Cowasucki, Yamaharley , Honduh , BMDoubleDouche,etc. No need to insult people based on the brand they ride. You want to trash someone on an individual basis then do it up but to insult everyone for no good reason is just dumb and makes you seem petty.

Ginger Beard screwed with this post 10-31-2012 at 08:09 AM
Old 10-31-2012, 08:00 AM   #263
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,405
Quote:
Why is it that the overwhelming majority of riders in states that don't require helmets who ride without one are HD riders?

Likey due to the fact that the overwhelming majority of riders are on Harley-Davidsons.

It isn't the brand. It is ALL feet forward bikes. They are "Bikers" and that's what "Bikers" do.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:08 AM   #264
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Likey due to the fact that the overwhelming majority of riders are on Harley-Davidsons.

It isn't the brand. It is ALL feet forward bikes. They are "Bikers" and that's what "Bikers" do.
I've been passed by flotillas of cruisers while out riding my pedal bike. Almost to a one, they're dressed in 'the uniform*.'

Gotta love all them rugged individualists dressed the same.

At least power ranger outfits come in colors other than black.

M

*I ran across a cruiser rider and presumably his wife the other day. He had on gear and an XD! HOLYHELLFIRESHIT! A cruiser rider with a DS helmet on?! ...explained the gear...
Old 10-31-2012, 08:11 AM   #265
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Quote:

M

Of course they do. How else would you know what Zord they belong to?!!
Old 10-31-2012, 10:34 AM   #266
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,006
I have ridden with some Harley riders here. All their problems (and my problems with them) came from four things:

1. Low ground clearance (slow in the corners, waddling on bad roads and speed bumps)
2. Only riding 1 Sunday a month (lack of experience)
3. Being ultra slow on the open road, but riding like fucking maniacs in traffic to compensate
4. Being determined to keep making a huge host of hand-signals to each other. Even in heavy traffic, even when there were only three bikes spaced out about 50 feet. Call me stupid, but when the last rider can see the road ahead as well as the leader, is it really sensible to take hands and/or feet off the controls when coming up on a hazard?

It's the only time I've ever been on a ride where we were holding up cars in the twisties. I would love to have pulled over and let them pass, but it wouldn't have made a difference.

The above can be applied to anyone who doesn't ride well and certainly doesn't just apply to cruisers. Cruisers do however have obvious physical limitations that show up on certain roads. Add a dash of "fuck you" attitude and stereotypes are quickly formed.

My regular riding buddy has a Suzuki Intruder 800 and exhibits none of the traits I mentioned above. No road? No problem! Twisties? Try to catch me! He has 200,000 Km under his belt on Mexican roads and it shows.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:09 AM   #267
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,303
Quote:
I've been passed by flotillas of cruisers while out riding my pedal bike. Almost to a one, they're dressed in 'the uniform*.'

Gotta love all them rugged individualists dressed the same.

M

*I ran across a cruiser rider and presumably his wife the other day. He had on gear and an XD! HOLYHELLFIRESHIT! A cruiser rider with a DS helmet on?! ...explained the gear...
I have never understood why some male riders need to obsess about the clothing worn by other male motorcycle riders. Seems kind of weird to me as I really don't care what other guys are wearing. It means nothing to me. Can one of you weirdos explain this behavior to me? Why do you care???
Old 10-31-2012, 01:33 PM   #268
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
The 5%,

In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 88k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
EricD10563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:16 PM   #269
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveydavey View Post
I have never understood why some male riders need to obsess about the clothing worn by other male motorcycle riders. Seems kind of weird to me as I really don't care what other guys are wearing. It means nothing to me. Can one of you weirdos explain this behavior to me? Why do you care???
Its amusing.

How many different kinds of (black logo t-shirts mostly) Hardley Ableson clothing can one flotilla wear but yet remain 'in uniform.'

...but ain't one of em geared up for any sort of crash. I've gone down on bicycles often enough to know that pavement HURTS. I'll take 'power ranger' over skin grafts any day.

M
Old 10-31-2012, 03:02 PM   #270
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Quote:
Its amusing.

And lame but do go on...This is interesting.

Quote:
How many different kinds of (black logo t-shirts mostly) Hardley Ableson clothing can one flotilla wear but yet remain 'in uniform.'
Really man? Hardley Ableson? That's..ummm...
Quote:
...but ain't one of em geared up for any sort of crash. I've gone down on bicycles often enough to know that pavement HURTS. I'll take 'power ranger' over skin grafts any day.
Knowing how bad it hurts AND knowing that speeds in excess of 45mph can be reached while cycling ,what type of crash protection do you use while cycling? ATGATT? Full body armor with a neck brace? Shin/knee protection,etc? I have to know because clearly ATGATT is an intellectual issue and you would never ever emulate those HD uniform wearing dumb-dumbs!! Since you KNOW that you can get hurt then you would never choose to ride your bicycle without being ATGATT right?