User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2014, 12:11 PM   #1
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Oddometer: 1,173
The Broken Leg Rides Again!

*all pics will be in the next post because too many times I have been writing and placing pictures and then lose everything and then I black out and wake up in the middle of a bunch of empty beer bottles and some guy smiling at me wearing a Duck Dynasty t-shirt*

The story:

Badly broke my leg on 3/1/14 and became a non weight bearing prisoner for 12 weeks then a walking prisoner, with assistance and painfully, for another 3 weeks and now a limping, can't go very far, off and on mess. But so happy I can finally walk! Even if I have to take stairs one at a time and walking a few blocks is a big deal.

2 years ago I started taking off on the bike for a month in the summer (teacher). But this summer?! Nooooooooo!

Last Tuesday I carefully pulled out Maxwell and had the handyman, who was doing things around the house that I normally could do, spot me on the bad leg side to see if I could support the bike (right side). And it was good. Then I rode about 15 minutes. And it was good. The next day I did a 120 mile loop up Palomar. And it was good. I pronounced myself reasonably, sort of OK to go. Yay!

Called doggie jail for boarding and they could only get me in for one week! Nooooo! I have enough time before school for 2! Put on the waiting list.....

Last Thursday I dropped off the pups and rode to Kaiser for hopefully my last X-ray (and hopefully last dose of radiation for a long time). There is still a part of the break that isn't filled in, but I was released to continue pt and do things I probably shouldn't.

If you're really, really bored, here is the sad tale. X-rays are in one of the last posts.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=960845

Left Kaiser about 4:30 and off to Wrightwood for the night! Freedom! Got into my motel room about 5:30 after 111 degree weather riding through San Bernardino. Fortunately, for once, I had the foresight to buy a cooling vest. I think CHP would have been cleaning up a greasy spot on the rode otherwise.

The "plan":

Ride Angeles Crest Highway to Ventura. Ventura to Templeton to visit with my aunt and uncle who just relocated from Idyllwild. Up Highway 1 to Monterey and then? Time out is completely dependent on cancellations at doggie jail.

Catching up to where I am presently:

Wrightwood. Thursday night.

Cute little mountain town located in one the worst places you could place a town in Southern California. The San Andreas fault runs pretty much through town, prone to rock slides, debris flows and forest fires. But it's a neat place to visit. Found a tiny 4 room motel, absolutely spotless. There is no office, you call the owners when you get there and they walk you through finding the key and then how to operate the a/c etc. It was pretty funny. "Now if you look towards the refrigerator you'll see a remote control on the wall." OK, got it. "Now walk over to the window and press the ON button and the unit will turn on". Yep, it's good.

It felt a little like working with mission control at NASA.

Had a fabulous steak dinner 2 blocks away, and I walked there! All by myself! I don't often eat steak, but when I do, it better be damn good!

Next morning, Angeles Crest Highway. Yay!

I haven't been up for years and never on a bike. This road is one of the very popular motorcycle roads in Southern California and gets pretty crazy on weekends. But I'm here on a Friday morning (sort of, didn't leave until 10) and there is nobody, it's fabulous. And the mountain air feels sooooo good. I don't see another bike until I'm about half through the 66 miles, or so, of road. And then I come across maybe 10 others, all going the opposite way.

The road is mine, MINE.

Muahahahahahaha!!!!!

I stop for a late breakfast at Newcomb's Ranch. I order 2 scrambled eggs, bacon, hash browns and toast. Out comes this plate with about 5 eggs and a ton of everything else. Oof! At least I won't need dinner. A group of Harley riders come in just as I'm leaving.

Down the hill, back into the heat in La Canada-Flintridge. I've never figured out why this city has two names. Oh well, guess I'll never know. The plan is to take the back way to Ventura (118), usually so much better than the 101. No more. The route has been discovered. Rats. End up in a big line of cars so I bail off before the end to the 101, and more traffic. Sigh. Did my first lane splitting with the vstrom Adventure model, damn that is a wide bike. Desperation. It was like a really fat lady on a scooter going down an aisle at Walmart.

I had a free night at the Ventura Best Western. I didn't write down the directions, I figured I would look at their map when I got into town. Welllll......I changed to T-Mobile about 2 months ago and there was NO reception anywhere I went in Ventura! Wait, this is a major city and there is no reception! WTF!!!

I ride randomly around then a very nice couple point me in the right direction. They had T-Mobile too. He had 4 bars standing next to me in the street and 1 bar standing 6 feet away on the sidewalk and I still had nothing......

Aaaah, cool air and nappy time. Granola bar and pistachios for dinner.

Off to Templeton:

Up the 101, over San Marcos and then an easy ride to town. Sort of. You see, I got a serious ice cream craving right before Arroyo Grande. There is a good ice cream parlor there and I'm thinking hot fudge sundae. Pull off. Car show, no parking. Damn it. Back on the freeway. Pull into downtown San Luis Obispo. Find ice cream, no parking because there never is on Higuera Street in SLO town. Damn it. OK, I'm going to try one of the little towns right before my aunt and uncle's place. After SLO, there is a long grade and a little town right at the top, Santa Margarita. They have to have an ice cream place. Went up the Main Street and down the Main Street. Feed store. Check. Cafe, cafe, hardware. Nothin'. I wonder if that cafe has something.

I stop parallel to the curb and completely misjudged the slope to my right. My right leg is still very weak. I can support the bike on that side UNLESS it starts to go over a bit. I put the kick stand down on the up hill side, realize my mistake, try really hard to hold it up, but it just wasn't going to happen. So I laid her down.... Stepped off clumsily and managed to sprain my ankle. Yep, same leg.

I take off my helmet, gloves, jacket, throw them on a bench and sit there staring at the bike. I've picked it up before, but with the gimpy leg there is no way. Apparently nobody in the cafe saw my dilemma, or didn't give a shit or was looking forward to more entertainment. Fortunately a kid at the feed store across the street gave me a hand.

Went in, got some off menu ice cream and off to Templeton for an ice pack, dinner, great company and conversation.

Ragged Point Inn:

I made reservations the night before and found that the first floor ocean view room I wanted was gone. So, I reserved the upgraded ocean view room on the.....second floor.

Lovely ride through the hills to the coast (rode a whopping 70 miles or so that day), lunch on the patio then to the room and in search of ice. Had to do a lot of walking. Owowowowowowowo.

My uncle had offered me an ace bandage for my ankle, but noooo, I won't need it. Welllll. However, I did discover that if you take the long, liner type hiking tube socks and tie them together you can make a pretty good ankle wrap with a little assistance from a bandana. First aid at its finest. Got a ready made sandwich from the minimart, pop tarts for breakfast the next day (I know) and some cookies for that night. Dinner of champions! Had to ride my bike the 150 yards to get the food. In a pair of crop pants and my riding boots. Quite the biker fashion statement.

Next morning. Off to Monterey up Highway 1.

I never get tired of this ride. Yes, there is traffic in the summer, but if you're riding for the twisties you're missing the whole point. Pull over frequently. It's spectacular. Saw at least 8 California Condors.

I made reservations the night before at the Seven Gables Inn in Pacific Grove. Chose this fantastic room with 3 windows looking over Monterey Bay. Aaaah. All I did last night was sit with my feet hanging out the window ledge and watch a huge pod of dolphins, seals, what looked like Minke whales and sea otters.

Somebody has to support the local economy.

I should explain that since I can't do any hiking, walking around town or much of anything else on this trip I'm springing some bucks for rooms with amazing views where I'm happy just watching, reading and napping. Aaaah. Sold my travel trailer so I have a little extra cash right now. Total credit card trip.

Everybody staying here has far more money than I. I talked with several couples last night that live in very expensive coastal areas or very expensive neighborhoods outside of Tucson. 2 of the men were taking a mental golfing seminar. I have no idea.

Wine and cheese at 4 - 6. Perfect for teachers on a budget dinner. Chocolate chip cookies with milk from 8 - 9 pm. Lovely breakfast this morning. Aaaah, so nice. I'm currently perched with my feet out the window typing this up. Caught up.

Life is good.

*pictures will be posted shortly*

V-Strom 650 Adventure "Maxwell"
DR-Z400s "Little Donkey2"

Little Bike screwed with this post 08-06-2014 at 10:28 PM
Little Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 12:23 PM   #2
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Random pics along Angeles Crest Highway

Almost forgot. Had lunch at Cold Spring Tavern on San Marcos Pass. Used to be a stagecoach stop. Neat place.

Uncle Jim and Aunt Sue with Maxwell

Lunch at Ragged Point Inn. Aaahhhhhh. Right at the beginning of the Highway 1 twisties waaay above the ocean.

Views from my room

Only picture I took on the ride to Monterey. I left my camera on, drained the battery. When I had lunch I remember, duh, remember you bought a smart phone a couple of months ago....

After lunch at Ventana, Big Sur. Kicking back in the sun.

All for now, tbc. I hear live guitar music floating up from the walkway below.....

Little Bike screwed with this post 07-29-2014 at 12:57 PM
Old 07-29-2014, 12:55 PM   #3
Blixa
Derelicte

Oddometer: 774
I missed your RRs. Glad you're back in action (not traction)
Blixa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:19 PM   #4
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blixa View Post
I missed your RRs. Glad you're back in action (not traction)
Hi Blixa!

It's been soooo nice.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:50 PM   #5
travlr_45
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Looks like you qualify for the heavy metal club. (:.... All jokes aside good to see you back up and riding. Broke my wrist last year on a dirt bike ( no metal ) took about a week and I was back on and doing short rides. 2weeks after that did a 4 day ride up thru VA. Ride on. ride on. ride on.

Gotta love those views.... Nothing but flat ground here
travlr_45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:53 PM   #6
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlr_45 View Post
Looks like you qualify for the heavy metal club. (:.... All jokes aside good to see you back up and riding. Broke my wrist last year on a dirt bike ( no metal ) took about a week and I was back on and doing short rides. 2weeks after that did a 4 day ride up thru VA. Ride on. ride on. ride on.

Gotta love those views.... Nothing but flat ground here
Thanks! That's great you got back on so quick!

Old 07-30-2014, 11:15 PM   #7
Mr. G
Normal Dude

Oddometer: 1,659
Good to see you back on the road. I hope the sprain in Sta. Margarita was minor.

You passed within a mile of my house on the 118. Give a shout next time and I'll show you the best roads of Ventura County.

Do the raccoons still come up to the patio doors at the Ragged Point Inn? Last time we were there a mother and two babies climbed on to our porch and we were hand feeding them grapes till we ran out.

Enjoy the rest of your ride and please keep writing and posting.

Then, while at WFO on my way up a dune, I understood. It was like the heavens opened up and I heard the voices of Angels.
Shortly afterward, I heard the voice of God. He said, and I quote, "Dumbass."
Mr. G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:08 AM   #8
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. G View Post
Good to see you back on the road. I hope the sprain in Sta. Margarita was minor.

You passed within a mile of my house on the 118. Give a shout next time and I'll show you the best roads of Ventura County.

Do the raccoons still come up to the patio doors at the Ragged Point Inn? Last time we were there a mother and two babies climbed on to our porch and we were hand feeding them grapes till we ran out.

Enjoy the rest of your ride and please keep writing and posting.
Sprain was minor, still a little ouchie.
I'm avoiding inland at all costs, would have been fabulous to get a Ventura road tour, next time I'm up your way I'll shoot you a pm.

No raccoons, that would have been cool, I love those little banditos.

I'm going to post up pics soon, internet access here is not so good! Headed to Moonstone Beach tonight. Such a looooong ride

Old 08-01-2014, 12:50 PM   #9
Shooby
Anti-Cager

Oddometer: 717
Awright! back in the saddle! Gonna be ready to convoy to DV rally come spring?
Shooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:30 PM   #10
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooby View Post
Awright! back in the saddle! Gonna be ready to convoy to DV rally come spring?
I don't know why not.. I would love to do b2lv this year (last year was going to be my first until I did a flier over the bars..), but I think it will probably be too soon.

So, DV definitely!!!

Old 08-01-2014, 07:27 PM   #11
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Continuation of the lamest ride report on adv (only half a pun, not doing a whole lotta riding, lots of sitting and staring at the ocean and drinking wine)

Stayed at 7 Gables Inn for 3 nights, I really could have stayed longer, but I would like to keep one kidney as a spare. Had to move rooms for the 3rd night, hey, new view!

Did have to hit the laundromat, yuck, but made up for it by having lunch at one of my favorite places in Pacific Grove, the Red House. Calamari steak sandwich, mmmmmmm.

Snicker doodle cookies the 2nd night and back to chocolate chip the last night, was hoping for peanut butter. I mean, at these prices, geez....

Now where? I kept looking at the map and just wasn't in the mood to ride through San Francisco to get to Mendocino area, so I'm slowly making my way back down the coast. How about Ragged Point Inn again? Why not?

Another beautiful ride down the 1. There were a couple of huge motor homes I was stuck behind for awhile, they were driving far too fast for the road, crossed the double yellow once, had tires on the double yellow frequently. Yikes!

Had lunch at Ventana again, why mess with the perfect day!

Pulled into the inn tired. I really enjoy 1, but riding south always seems harder than north. Lots of blind, almost hairpin turns and worrying about cars (and now motor homes!) on the wrong side of the road. And there is noooooo room for goofing up. It's not the 1000 foot fall that will kill you......you know the rest of the joke. Checked in and thought "a nap is in order!" I love naps.

But whoa! I had the weirdest dream. The inn is located along a cliff edge, great views. I dreamed that the building I was in was falling into the sea due to a big block of the cliff falling away. I was felt really unsettled for the rest of the evening. I actually went out and looked at the ground between the building and the cliff edge...... Weird. Must have been the wine, swordfish and cheesecake at lunch.....

Ragged Inn is in an awkward place for dividing up riding days. It's a long day (for me) to ride straight home and I don't want to go home yet anyways. Soooo, I rode 21 miles down the coast to Moonstone Beach, oooooo iron butt day. Hehehehe. (I think I may have to give up that kidney after all). Tomorrow I'm going reasonably priced in Lompoc and stay on the 1 to San Juan Capistrano before heading inland and the heat. However, there is an awesome bed and breakfast just north of Hermosa Beach......

There was some drama today. I came as close as I hope I ever will to the *ucking left turning cager. At speed.

Along the 21 miles I rode today there is a beach where elephant seals haul out on the sand. It's pretty neat, gets a lot of people in the parking lot. Up to that time I've been good about slowing down at vista points and such to prepare for distracted drivers. Well, I screwed up this time by making an assumption and not acting as usual. There was one driver turning left from the parking lot to go north and another driving turning into the parking lot from the south. Hmmmm, scissors crunch. The driver turning into the parking lot was fine, they needed to look in my direction to turn in. It was the car leaving the lot. I was going far too fast, about 65, and didn't slow down when I saw the situation coming up. I also assumed that both drivers saw me because they looked my way. I sooooooo know better. Anyways, right before I go past the driveway, the exiting car starts pulling out. Fast. Like he's going to make the entire turn. The only option I have is to swerve left because now he's in position to run into my side. I went flying past the nose of the car, felt like I missed it by about 2 feet. They stopped right then, but I'm not sure if it was because the driver suddenly saw this hi vis blur right in front of the car or they were tired of waiting to turn left (it's a 2 lane road) and decided to pull out fast and timed it badly.

I was pissed. The car headed north. I had a road rage moment in my head. Wanted to chase the car down and cuss them out. I took some deep breaths and contemplated on what I had done wrong. Helped me to calm down a bit. The more I thought about it, I think the driver was looking south when they pulled out. There was only me and a truck behind me that wasn't visible yet. I think they looked north, didn't see me, looked south and then hauled ass to hit an opening.

I hope everybody in that car crapped their pants and the car isn't a rental.

Big reminder for me on defensive riding.

Some pics coming up soon, I need food first......

Old 08-01-2014, 08:30 PM   #12
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

And some pics.....

The chore:

And the reward:

New room at 7 Gables. View from my super soft bed.

Lunch again at Ventana. Swordfish with couscous.

Back at Ragged Point. Another tough day on the coast.....hehehehe. Have better pics, but I used up my phone data doing transfers to the iPad. Oops

First and ONLY selfie. Ever. Helmet hair and windy.

Couple of crummy iPad photos.

Kicking back at Moonstone Beach

Pretty evening

Still sitting out on the patio. Niiiiiiice.

Little Bike screwed with this post 08-01-2014 at 08:45 PM
Old 08-02-2014, 08:35 AM   #13
Mr. G
Normal Dude

Oddometer: 1,659
You could buy a motorhome with all the money you are spending on food and lodging .....

Looks like you are living it up very nicely. Love the Seven Gables Inn though I've never spent the night there. Swordfish and couscous looks very tasty.

Be safe for the rest of your ride.

Then, while at WFO on my way up a dune, I understood. It was like the heavens opened up and I heard the voices of Angels.
Shortly afterward, I heard the voice of God. He said, and I quote, "Dumbass."
Mr. G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:40 AM   #14
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. G View Post
You could buy a motorhome with all the money you are spending on food and lodging .....

Looks like you are living it up very nicely. Love the Seven Gables Inn though I've never spent the night there. Swordfish and couscous looks very tasty.

Be safe for the rest of your ride.
It's been a tough trip

Old 08-02-2014, 11:05 AM   #15
travlr_45
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bike View Post
It's been a tough trip
Hang in there, it's gets better. Be grateful it wasn't worse than it was. With a view like that and a glass of wine what's the rush?
travlr_45 is offline   Reply With Quote