User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 05:29 AM   #151
AndrewT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Subscribed!

My girlfriend and I rode from South Texas to Inuvik June 4 - July 12 2012. You write a great report - thanks for sharing.
AndrewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:57 AM   #152
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,424
Fantastic ride report. Had me laughing , smiling and being teary eyed though out reading it. As a long time , and still, solo rider, I feel your passion for the road and your bike in your writings. Thanks for the work and time to share with us these words of yours. I so suck at ride reports of my own.

A '00 KLR 650 39,000 miles, A '07 1250S 77,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 76,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:09 AM   #153
WaywardSon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,317
Thumb

Very nice job on the report........thanks for taking us along!

Like you, I have found that as much as I enjoy the scenery, and possibly the destination...what I enjoy most is just being on the bike alone with my thoughts. And the best part is always connecting with new friends I have been lucky enough to receive the "kindness of strangers" more than once...and now try to pay it forward whenever I have the chance.

Ride safe....................Best...................... John
Old 12-05-2012, 10:22 AM   #154
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,452
Well played!

RNT - I have enjoyed the read and thanks for the distraction from work the last 2 mornings. Ya know personaly I would never take such a big bite but for some reason I just love reading RR like this. Not all of em but yours yea, your overall ADV, bike of choice and writing style has got me hooked. More vid link please if ya got em and keep it comin.

If ya ever make it down for BIke Week the suds are on me .
Old 12-05-2012, 10:44 AM   #155
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,235
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:42 PM   #156
ruffntuff OP
TUFRDR

Oddometer: 109
Day 13: Liard Hot Springs, BC - Teslin Lake, YK

Day 13:
June 2, 2012
Liard Hot Springs, BC – Teslin Lake, YT: 335mi

It rained overnight, just a light rain that made sleeping better than ever. There’s something about hearing the pitter patter on the tent walls while snuggled in a down sleeping bag that makes the coziest environment ever. I did not want to move or get up and was loathing the idea of packing up a wet tent or loading the bike in the rain. I missed my dog back home, wishing she was snuggling with me like she always does when we go backpacking.

I was laying there awake for awhile when I heard a soft voice with a German accent outside my tent. “Guten Morgen Anna.” I was happy to hear my friend’s voice and said good morning to him as I opened the tent. I saw him standing there by my bike attempting to place a note on it, melting in the rain. He turned smiling and said, “Bike fest, you come when you’re ready.” Then he left.

I sat there confused for a moment then went to look at the soggy piece of paper he left on my bike. It said “Breakfast at Café Volker.” Ooooh……he said “breakfast,” not “bike fest.” Sweet! It was all the more reason to not pack up and ride in the rain.

He said it was the first time he invited someone into his truck to eat with him. He seemed a lonely traveler. I could see the excitement in him for having a guest, proud to offer his hospitality. He made coffee, boiled some eggs and showed me how to eat them like a proper European- sitting in a special cup and using a special tiny spoon to scoop it from its shell.

We had toast with jam and fruit while I listened to him tell stories of his travels across the world. It was nice to spend a morning visiting, watching the rain outside the window. My usual rush to pack-up and hit the road left me that day. For the first time I felt comfortable with just hanging out somewhere for a little bit, not feeling the need to go.

When the time came for me to leave he told me I was a good girl and was very impressed with my own adventure. He said if he was only younger I would not be able to resist him and he would not let me leave. I think I know what he meant by that, in an endearing way. He took another photo of me all geared up with the bike and kissed me goodbye, the European way of course- a kiss for each cheek.

I rode in light rain for the first couple hours of the day. Then it dried up. I saw lots of buffalo and black bear, too many to count. I was too nervous to stop and take a picture. I laughed out loud at one point when I passed a bear with a mouthful of grass staring at me go by. It made me think of the look a stoner has when they’re blitzed and shoving cookies in their mouth when they get the munchies.

When I got to Watson Lake I went to the famous Sign Post Forest. I wanted to hang something in memory of Dan and the trip I was doing, but I had no material for it. So I just wandered the forest and admired the assemblage of symbolic marks others had left on their own journey.

I called the boys I had met yesterday and told them I was in town if they still wanted to get lunch. They were excited to escape work and met me at what seemed to be the only restaurant in town. Inspired by the number of buffalo I had seen, I enjoyed an enormous, juicy, local buffalo burger. They kindly insisted on getting the bill and said they wanted to help me out on my journey. Just pay it forward.

I mounted the Alaskan Highway, headed toward Whitehorse. There was a hostel there and I desperately needed a shower. But after stopping in Teslin for fuel, I passed a little campground on the banks of the lake that rented canoes. Intrigued I turned around to check it out.

Not a soul was camping there and it was only $10 to stay. I knocked on the door of the office, which was actually the host’s house. He greeted me seeming surprised someone wanted to camp. I was early he said. He hadn’t had too many campers yet this season. I asked about the canoes and he said I could take one out free of charge. I didn’t hesitate to stay.

It was a beautiful spot. The water was so calm and crystal clear surrounded by white tipped mountains. I felt peaceful here. I was really beginning to enjoy my trip, being alone. I felt confident for once in my life.

ruffntuff screwed with this post 12-24-2012 at 12:35 PM
ruffntuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:12 PM   #157
tvbh40a
PSUViking

Oddometer: 1,412
Sweet.
tvbh40a is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:17 PM   #158
AkTbolt
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Anna, It is quite a treat to read about the beginning of your journey! Thanks, Don
AkTbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:23 PM   #159
Alaskajeff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,125
GREAT work, can't wait for more
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
2011 Verys ADV
92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
Alaskajeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:53 PM   #160
mdlak
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Great RR!
mdlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:20 PM   #161
elite1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Really admire your spirit. Go, girl, go!
10 Triumph Thruxton - ton up bitch ; 86 Elite 150 Deluxe - pimpin' 80's icon ; 78 Puch Newport - still in the family. Still can't outrun Fido. ; 07 Elite 80 - bulletproof but boring - sold ; 82 Honda Ft500 Ascot - The lil' donkey's bed - gone but not forgotten.
elite1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:52 PM   #162
DARKRYDER
NoNoob

Oddometer: 318
Amazing RR...sucked me in 'til the end. You are one brave woman and you did your brother proud Looking forward to reading more!
3 Kaboom's, 3 Dudes, and a Chick ride Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, Montana
Passed Out In CO & Washed Up In UT (UTBDR & COBDR)
DARKRYDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:46 AM   #163
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 46,022
No matter the outcome, you've had the trip of a lifetime.

Well done.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:04 AM   #164
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,755
" I felt confident for once in my life."

I sure hope that confidence has stayed with you. It should have. What a trip, and what a tribute to your brother.

There's nothing like a canoe on a calm lake for peace and quiet.

So glad your taking the time to write this.

One last thing.. I'm a Dad, my daughter is 27.. Be careful out there.. Ok, Dad mode over.
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:57 AM   #165
smash81
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
WOW, that lake is incredible!
Salvaged 2006 Ninja 650R - his
2000 ZR7 - hers
smash81 is offline   Reply With Quote