Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 06:54 PM   #466
ruffntuff OP
TUFRDR

Oddometer: 107
Awe shux ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicrider View Post
I say we get a donation together so she can keep riding and writing!

Haha!! That would be AWESOME!!! I have been doing research on that and would love to ride the world and keep writing....God if I could make a living doing that, that would be unreal. I have a hard time taking money from people though, and I think would feel guilty for it, unless I did it for charity or someting. I'd have to be sure all my sponsers were satisfied and happy. :)

Realistically, I'd probably have to do it in sections so I can work inbetween trips to save money....unless I manage to raise 150K, LOL.

Central and South America are next on my list. Probably won't be able to do it for another year or so though. I'll find a way somehow....and there will be a report for sure. :)

Thanks guys.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:02 PM   #467
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,026
God willing, you have plenty of time left to enjoy riding where ever you desire. Looking forward to your next post on the Alaska trip. I will never forget "cleavage juice", as long as I live. Your words do affect people's lives. Thanks and God bless... tomp dd50
dirtdreamer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:38 PM   #468
camgregus
riding gently now

Oddometer: 3,001
Old 04-04-2013, 06:06 AM   #469
drdubb
OFWG

Oddometer: 339
South America

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffntuff View Post
Haha!! That would be AWESOME!!! I have been doing research on that and would love to ride the world and keep writing....God if I could make a living doing that, that would be unreal. I have a hard time taking money from people though, and I think would feel guilty for it, unless I did it for charity or someting. I'd have to be sure all my sponsers were satisfied and happy. :)

Realistically, I'd probably have to do it in sections so I can work inbetween trips to save money....unless I manage to raise 150K, LOL.

Central and South America are next on my list. Probably won't be able to do it for another year or so though. I'll find a way somehow....and there will be a report for sure. :)

Thanks guys.

You need to read this ride report.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831076

Nighthawk rally weekend of May 18, kickstand lodge, stecoah, nc, your Radian would fit right in with all those old nighthawks.( You would not be the only female rider. )
'71 SL 350 - Honda
drdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:53 AM   #470
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,604
Quote:
You need way less... I started with way les..
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:59 AM   #471
CloneBoy
Future Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
Paypal links or links for donations are no longer allowed in ride reports. So it's pointless to ask for them. Waiting patiently for another installment in this great story...

that stinks

I have donated in the past to a few RR's that I have spent hours enjoying, and just never want some of the more epic ones to ever end

I would definitely donate to Anna's as well. But you would have to post more frequent kiddo !!!

When we riding?
CloneBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:54 PM   #472
BretN333
n00b

Oddometer: 7
What a great report Anna. Every installment has been worth the wait. I wasn't aware that donation requests or links are now taboo, which is too bad but I understand why the site prohibits them.

Check with the site rules, but I don't know why you couldn't have a link to your own website where you sell copies of your book once it's done. Perhaps especially if you become an Adv site sponsor in the process. Your writing and pictures are better than most anything I've seen here and rivals what a pro journalist would produce. Self publishing could very easily be a way for you to help support your travels. Keep up the great work.
BretN333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #473
tvbh40a
PSUViking

Oddometer: 1,399
The Book

The book will finance the ride, no doubts...
tvbh40a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:41 PM   #474
horseiron1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
What an awesome ride report. Thanks for sharing. I'm sorry for your loss. I lost my brother 12 years ago. He was 20yo. I miss him everyday.

Take care,

JJ
horseiron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:51 PM   #475
ruffntuff OP
TUFRDR

Oddometer: 107
Big City Cherry Poppin’: Vancouver, BC

June 17 -29, 2012

I was a big city virgin. Yes, I’ll admit, I was more afraid of getting on a bus everyday than riding my motorcycle to Alaska. I’m not sure what intimidated me more; learning the lines and routes, getting on the wrong bus, getting lost in the big bad city, being surrounded by strange humans. I don’t know. The bottom line was, I didn’t trust the city.

By nature, I carry more fear surrounded by society than when alone in the wilderness. Civilization brings industrialization, over-population, consumerism, pollution, traffic, crime, accidents, and death. Humanity brings lies, deceit, disappointment, abuse, abandonment, pain and suffering. My general lack of faith in it has been transformed into fear. This is where I have learned to detach myself from it all for my own protection and survival.

The wilderness brings me pure and untainted truth. Everything is genuine and real. Even death is natural and often productive with purpose. This is where I find trust. This is where I feel the safety of grace. This is where I have nothing to lose, where there is no attachment.

Jules was kind to be my tour-guide for my first day exploring the city. He walked me to the closest bus stop and rode the line with me all the way from Lynn Valley to Stanley Park. It took us about an hour one way and we only had to change buses once. After getting a general outline of my route, I was already more comfortable. The city didn’t seem as big and bad as I had thought.

I agreed the bus was safer than riding the bike after seeing it nearly run over several riders. The buses in Vancouver are notorious for pulling out in front of people without hesitation or glance.

My next errand on the list was to find a brewery. Jules took me to Steamworks where Jean met us after work. It was a gorgeous afternoon so we sat outside overlooking Vancouver harbor sharing a pitcher of refreshing local beer.

We took the SeaBus back to North Vancouver and wandered around Waterfront Park. Jules mentioned another option could be to take the bus to the SeaBus, and then take another bus to the aquarium. It may have been faster and more direct of a route, but I preferred the simplicity of just sticking with the bus.

On our way home Jean suggested we stop at Lynn Canyon Suspension Bridge. We got off the bus a few stops early and walked a short distance through a quiet neighborhood into a lush forest and park. I could hear and feel the power of the water raging close by.

We walked out onto the bridge hovering 50 meters above the deep canyon of roaring water. It was narrow and bounced up and down with each step we took and swayed from side to side. I couldn’t believe this paradise was practically in their back yard; 600 acres of verdant forest with 100 year old giant trees and a gorgeous river with swimming holes. I want to live in Vancouver.

I stopped at the grocery store on our way home and stocked up on food for the week and dinner for the evening. I wanted to cook them my favorite meal, rosemary roasted potatoes and lemon pepper chicken, for their generous hospitality and kindness. Thanks to them I had a great place to stay and felt ready to tackle commuting in the city for the next two weeks.

I got into my morning routine making coffee, walking to the bus stop, and seeing the same familiar faces every day. That hour spent every morning watching and observing people became an absorbing ritual. I had thought Vancouver was a large city. But after seeing the same people and bus drivers on multiple routes, I began to feel Vancouver had a smaller town feel to it than I realized.

I found the general population very friendly and courteous. People made eye contact and said, “Thank you,” to the bus drivers. People said, “Good morning,” and “Excuse me,” to each other. People were happy to help one another and showed compassion and respect towards the elderly. They were conscientious and considerate. To an extent it restored my faith in humankind. I love Canadians.

I enjoyed seeing the city from a different mode of transport. I didn’t have to navigate (to an extent), monitor my speed or watch out for all the idiots on the road trying to kill me. I didn’t have to focus on slipping the clutch gracefully, subtly keeping balance and breaking delicately. I could just sit there effortless from a plastic seat squished against a window protecting me from the outdoor elements. Just one tug on the chain and I could get off wherever I liked, especially if it got too crowded.

As interesting as this new experience was, it didn’t take long for me to miss the solitude of just me and my bike on the road in the mountains. I missed the freedom. I missed unity with the machine underneath me, the manipulation of the throttle and engine. I missed the wind and even the rain. I wanted to embrace the elements around me, to be a part of them. I wanted to feel one with the universe and the environment again and melt my tires into the pavement.

I was blocked from it all, sheltered, sitting in the stuffy compartment of a city bus.

After just a couple days of working at the Aquarium, I couldn’t prevent my mind from wandering, distracting me from being present. I was dreaming and fantasizing about opening the throttle and high RPM’s vibrating through me on twisty mountain roads. I missed Billy, and imagined riding with him again in California.

I spent several afternoons riding around the mountains behind North Vancouver. One afternoon I rode up Cypress Mountain just in time for the sunset. I rode all the way to the top, where the slopes were dry and the ski lifts retired and deserted. The view of the city was spectacular.

Another time I rode to Grouse Mountain. I couldn’t ride all the way up but I had heard about the Grouse Grind hiking trail and was eager for the challenge; 2,800 foot elevation gain in 1.8 miles. What I didn’t anticipate, was the line of people doing the same thing forming a line to get up the mountain like it was the Klondike Gold Rush.

Referred to as “Mother Nature’s Stairmaster,” it certainly kicked my ass and I was happy to reach the top after 50 minutes of climbing behind a line of people. I treated myself to a cold beer at the bar plopped on the bluff of the mountain.

I wandered around the top and gawked at some massive lumberjack carvings before taking the Skyride back down the mountain crammed full of sweaty people that had just done the same thing. Apparently the hiking trail was one way forcing you to buy a $10 ticket to get off the mountain.

A different afternoon I rode up Mount Seymour, another abandoned ski area at 4,700 feet above the shores of the Burrard Inlet. I could only imagine with its winter blanket the place suddenly coming to life with crowds of people playing in the snow. It was a clear day and I could see the Coastal Mountain Range in the distance jetted with massive white peaks to the north.

It’s amazing how powerful seclusion in a desolate place can be; humbling and grounding.

Adjusting to city life was a challenge. Obviously, finding seclusion is very difficult in a city but is necessary for my own sanity. However, when I couldn’t get out for a ride to escape, I found other ways of coping. I found the places I could hide in local coffee shops and the only places I enjoyed shopping; outdoor outfitters and motorcycle stores.

When I started asking around about where I could find good raingear, someone told me I had to go down West Broadway. There are about two blocks of outdoor stores there. I come from a town with one outfitter that is way overpriced. So for me, I was like a poor kid in a candy store.

I took the Skytrain and walked through four or five outfitters. Mountain Equipment Coop was my favorite. It’s like the Canadian REI. I got a new fleece to trade in for two thinner layers I wanted to send home and I found some Marmot rain pants on sale. My old ones were failing and held together more with duct tape than with seams. I milked every last use out of those and gladly threw them away.

As for motorcycle stores, I was on the hunt for a new pair of rubber over-gloves like the ones I bought in Denver. One had split in the palm and I had repaired it multiple times with my green, snake-skin duct tape.

I called around to Yamaha, BMW, Honda, and I even walked in to Triumph on Powell Street. But I never found anything like them. So, the only bike purchase I made while in Vancouver was simply an oil filter and some oil. I finished my trip with those taped up gloves and they held up pretty well. Thank God for duct tape.

I balanced my time between town and country those two weeks I spent in Vancouver. I found the positive attributes in civilization and humanity I had been missing. I learned to appreciate the populous of a big city. I learned to enjoy the company of friendly strangers and feel the adventure of wandering the streets alone. What I think I loved the most, was the recycling bins in every store, park, and restaurant, and the rollerblade lanes next to the bike lanes. I never saw a rollerblader though.

Old 04-06-2013, 02:30 PM   #476
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,448
Quote:

A) I have been doing research on that and would love to ride the world and keep writing....God if I could make a living doing that, that would be unreal.

B) I have a hard time taking money from people though
Regarding A)... I don't know if Dr. Gregory Frazier is an inmate here, but worth a look. He writes books and articles about his experiences on the road. He's been around the world 5x or something like that. He should be easy to find to ask for tips about making a living writing about MC adventure.

Regarding B)... fixing (B) makes achieving (A) possible. You have to understand that "value for money" comes in a lot of different forms.

Not to muddy the waters... but think about churches: a lot of people clearly feel strongly that they get a lot of "value for money" for "something: --- which could be: companionship, direction, support, in addition to the spiritual guidance. So they give liberally to support their church. This relationship is not a traditional business relationship in which the giver is receiving something material.

It's important to understand that if you have "something" --- interesting experiences, wit, charm, a great slide show of your travels, etc. --- that people want, it's no different than recording music, acting in a play, or writing a book. It has "value" and people are willing to exchange "money" to receive that value.

Thing is.... "money" is both a concept and an object.

This could be as simple as accepting tent space on someone's lawn, or eating a meal with a family, receiving a good-samaritan fill-up when you're on the side of the road with a dry tank, or as grand as accepting sponsorship from a gear or motorcycle manufacturer. Or, if you're writing books or articles for a publisher or magazine, it could be the actual object which we call money.

Don't under-sell yourself right out of the chute.

---

Oh, and nice update! Thanks.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:57 AM   #477
dnorton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al View Post
Don't under-sell yourself right out of the chute.

---

Oh, and nice update! Thanks.
Well said!

I agree with the Canadians comment. I've traveled a lot in Canada, generally speaking the Canadians are a wonderful lot. How is it America shares so much with Canada, yet as a lot Americans seem jaded? I would move to Vancouver if I could too, love that city.
dnorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:02 AM   #478
elkgrichard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
When I was in the Navy my ship visited Vancouver and the people there treated all of us so well. They have a much better attitude for some reason, something I noticed. I loved it up there. Also have been back on my motorcycle and had a nice time. Love that city.
elkgrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #479
WildsideRider
Cruiser Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Great write up of Vancouver Anna! Glad you had a good time. I always love to hear others opinions of the place I live :) This made me laugh "The buses in Vancouver are notorious for pulling out in front of people without hesitation or glance." It is so true...everyone here knows not to try and pass a bus when it is ready to pull out from a stop...they will NOT hesitate if there is a vehicle in the lane next to them.

Looks like you got to see some good sites. As I mentioned in an earlier post I wish this report had of been live as I live right beside Stanley park and would have been happy to show you around. Steamworks is a great pub eh? (little canadian for you there ;)).

Looking forward to the rest of the ride report.
WildsideRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:06 PM   #480
wb22rules
Bourbon Tester

Oddometer: 193
Hope you were back in Central Virginia to enjoy the beautiful day we had today

All of us are looking forward to the rest of your report when you can find the time