Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2013, 05:13 AM   #631
10 Man
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,843
its good to know you are home safe and sound just up dateing the RR .
we worrie ...I know your a big girl but we still worrie .
are you planning another adventure yet ?
Old 09-01-2013, 02:48 AM   #632
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Man View Post
are you planning another adventure yet ?
*cough* South America *cough*

Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:05 AM   #633
Dirigo
Curious

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
*cough* South America *cough*

Old 09-03-2013, 02:15 PM   #634
Hellion
getlostboy

Oddometer: 7
Anna, I have been lurking on this site for some time now. Your thread has finally motivated me to register. I have to say how impressed I am with your travels and your writing. I have two daughters who I hope grow up to be independent thinkers and doers who aren't afraid to take on any challenge. Your parents, if they think like me, must be very proud of you. Working through your loss, and your fears, and not running from them will serve you well throughout your life. Hell, it already has! Good luck with whatever adventure awaits, and I can't wait for your next post.
I too plan to ride to Alaska (from New England and through Canada on dirt) in a few years when my girls are grown a bit. But surely not on a Radian, as fine a steed as it may be. Kudos to you on that too, lol...
Hellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:53 AM   #635
Yukon Jon
Perma-lurker

Oddometer: 16
I'll echo what a lot of others have already said; I spend a fair amount of time on this site, I've lurked for years and only recently even registered. I'll probably only ever amount to a handful of posts. All my travels, the miles and weeks on the road, getting rained on, camping, freezing, baking, sweating, swearing and all the associated troubles, panics, opportunities, chance encounters and unexpected joys that i have been lucky enough to have had, will never amount to a ride report that comes close to this. That said, I had to say thanks. Thanks for sharing, it can't have been easy. Thanks for the time and effort you put into the writing, it shows.

A ride report is a poor name for what you have done. A report implies that it is a merely collection of data, of facts and experiences, gathered and relayed for dissemination and review.
You've told a magnificent story. One that has captivated and moved a great many strangers in your wide audience. A good story shares something of the teller, and you have shared much of yourself.

Thanks for the story.

- Jon
Old 09-12-2013, 12:02 AM   #636
Jack90210
mindful

Oddometer: 15,026
Charlottesville REPRESENT!

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Jack90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:09 PM   #637
Falconx84
Lurker

Oddometer: 369
Just read the entire thread, "cover to cover" so to speak.

Amazing story, wonderful writing... One of the best RR I've seen.

Put me on the waiting list once the book deal's done.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:40 PM   #638
Kenderkin
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Wow.
Greetings from the holy land on your journey. Love reading it. Thanks you for sharing!
Kenderkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:23 PM   #639
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,016
Almost 259,000 views of this thread. Been a subscriber since the beginning, and know that it is probably close to the end, but I want to say it has been the best thread I have ever been a part of, on any forum.

Thank you so much for sharing your time, experiences and feelings with me. It has been like you were writing to me and just to me. If I live to 100 I will never forget "CLEAVAGE JUICE". I hope and pray all is well with you and your life. tomp dd50
Old 09-27-2013, 12:42 PM   #640
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,955
I too landed here from RoninMoto's thread and have enjoyed your RR immensely.

More years than I care to think about a girlffriend and I rented a big Beemer GS in Gibsons for a little tour in the same neck of the woods. In 5 days we rode 700 km's and rode 9 ferries

I'm on the tent thread if you decide to head northeast one day.
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:35 PM   #641
ruffntuff OP
TUFRDR

Oddometer: 107
Port Angeles, WA - Portland, OR

Part 2: Day 4
Port Angeles, WA – Portland, OR: 449 miles
July 3, 2012

It rained so hard last night I thought the roof was going to cave in. My bunk sat close to the ceiling. I could hardly sit up and I could feel the beating of the rain above my head like a heard of buffalo on a stampede. There was no use even trying to sleep.

I kept looking out the window, checking to see the Radian hadn’t washed away and was floating down the road like an abandoned victim drowning in the street. She still stood through the whole night, withstanding the brunt of the weather. Stoic and strong facing the storm she glowed under the street lights like a brave superhero. I felt guilty watching her, warm and dry from my safe haven.

By morning the rain had subsided and for the first time in Washington I could see a patch of blue sky and the snowy tips of the Olympic Mountains.

Thrilled to ride some twisty mountain roads thousands of feet up all the way to tree line, I packed fast. I knew it would rain again soon.

I had learned my lesson from before; don’t load up the bike before starting it and warming it up…..just in case.

I turned the key and pressed start, with the choke on. The starter would spin but the engine wouldn’t catch. I played with the choke, I opened the throttle, but still the motor wouldn’t pick up.

The butterflies burned in my gut as I continued to try and start my engine. I shook the bike side to side, being sure to hear gas sloshing around in the tank. I pulled in the clutch and put the kickstand up, even though this time I knew it was in neutral. I turned the petcock to prime. I checked the hose I had recently fixed.

Every now and then the bike would tease me and the motor would spit like it was going to pick up. But the starter would just keep rolling.

It was time to call Bee.

Fortunately he answered. I explained to him what was going on and he said, “At this point you probably know your bike better than I do, so if you can’t get it started I’m not sure what to tell you.”

The only thing he could think of was to pull out the ignition box and make sure there wasn’t water in it. He said with the heavy rains water could get in the electronics which would keep it from starting.

“Pull that out and put it in the sun with the bike for thirty minutes. Then call me if you still can’t get it started.”

Good thing there was sun that morning. I did what the master said and waited.

I didn’t see any water or condensation in the ignition box but it was pretty dusty. I got a paper towel and cleaned up the edges while waiting for the bike to finish sunbathing. I was sitting next to all my gear on the side of the road outside the hostel, trying to enjoy thirty minutes of relaxing in the sunshine which felt more like wasting time to me.

I kept looking at the mountains. “I just want to be there! Of course as soon as I have sunshine the bike won’t start….and I bet as soon as it does it will be raining again and I won’t see shit up there.” My negativity was drowning me.

Anxiety was building.

I searched for local garages, most of which were closed for the weekend. I found one that would be opening in the next hour and left a message with my situation. But hopefully I wouldn’t need more help.

Sarah was on her way out and kindly offered me a ride. I said, “Maybe, ask me in another fifteen minutes or so.”

I crossed my fingers and slipped the ignition box back into place, turned the key, and pressed start.

The starter rolled and the motor spit a few times before the engine roared. I rocked back the throttle several turns and smiled hearing the RPM’s scream. I let go and stood back, listening to the sweet sound making sure it would hold on its own.

An exhale of relief left my body like the end of an orgasm. Thank God I can go!

I had the bike loaded in just a few minutes and headed towards Olympic National Park trying not to ride too fast.

(These are the only shots I got before riding into the clouds.)

I climbed the twisty road, Hurricane Ridge. Up and up it went 5000 feet or more. I knew when I reached the tree line. Everything was socked in and the mist made spooky shadows my mind would contort into shapes that weren’t really there.

I rode to the top, but could hardly make out the parameter of the parking lot.
It wasn’t cold, and I sat for several minutes in the thick fog wondering to myself, “Why am I in such a hurry? Why does anything matter? Everything works out eventually and nothing really lasts…..so…..why the fuck do I care so much?! Just chill the fuck out!”

I decided then and there to enjoy my moment. It didn’t matter I got up there later than I intended. It didn’t matter it was socked in. Sure a couple hours earlier it may have been clear, but that wasn’t part of my journey. My adventure kept me sunbathing in the valley waiting for the bike to function, a machine I was completely dependent on and learning to respect.

The only reason I was here was because it brought me there.
I wasn’t the only one on this journey. The Radian was my comrade and companion. I was not in control and had to take its needs into consideration as well as my own. It was kind of like any other relationship I suppose.

I left the mountains behind me following 101 West towards the coast. I rode in and out of the park through forests of spruce, fir, cedar, and hemlocks. I stopped at the Hoh Rainforest and walked a short loop to take a break.

There was a misty rain, typical for that area. I was surprised how many tourists there were in the park, however it was a holiday weekend. I was hoping for a stroll through the forest on my own but there were so many groups it was hard to avoid. I focused my attention on the nature.

There were soft ferns and emerald moss covering the massive trees like an ancient magical forest. I felt like I was in a fairytale and would see a centaur or stag at any moment. Yet instead I would see another group of humans passing by the beautiful landscape along the only bidden path distracting me from my imaginary fantasy.

Maybe it’s selfish of me to want to be in those places alone, unbothered and untouched. Even though I know it’s everyone’s right to go to those amazing beautiful places which is why everyone wants to be there.

I shouldn’t expect to be the only one there, but I just can’t enjoy it when surrounded by herds of tourists. So when the crowds sink in, I run away.

I continued towards Portland along coastal towns and beaches that seemed to take forever to get through. Traffic was slow and building my anxiety again.

“It doesn’t matter, don’t be in a hurry,” I kept telling myself.

I finally made it into Portland by 7pm. I pulled up to my Aunt Cathy’s apartment and saw my dad on the side of the road eagerly waiting my arrival.

It was the first time I had seen family since I left Virginia. It kind of struck me harder than I thought it would.

The last thing he told be in Virginia was, “Just make it back.”

I said, “I’ll see you on the other side.”

He gave me a perplexed look and I reassured him, “The continent. I’ll see you on the other side of the continent.” I think he was afraid I meant something else.

He crossed the street faster than I could get off the bike. I could see the thrill in his eyes and feel the relief in his embrace.

“You are a hero,” he said chuckling with tears in his eyes.

It was a lovely evening hanging out with Dad’s three sisters Cathy, Donna, and Janelle and my cousin Heather. It felt good to be with family again. It was something I had run away from and found loneliness without.

I realized how good it was to be loved and how important it was to receive it.

I was very thankful for my family.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:39 PM   #642
ruffntuff OP
TUFRDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
Almost 259,000 views of this thread. Been a subscriber since the beginning, and know that it is probably close to the end, but I want to say it has been the best thread I have ever been a part of, on any forum.

Thank you so much for sharing your time, experiences and feelings with me. It has been like you were writing to me and just to me. If I live to 100 I will never forget "CLEAVAGE JUICE". I hope and pray all is well with you and your life. tomp dd50

Thank you!! I still have SO much more to write, don't you worry....and at my rate it will probably take me another year ;)....lol. Thanks for your patience and following along.

anna
Old 10-13-2013, 08:41 PM   #643
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,016
No sweat. Any new post from you is worth the wait. You make the Radian, in the rain, appear almost human, too cool... Orgasm, that's better than clevage juice. God, I love your writings. Hope all is well with you today. tomp dd50

dirtdreamer50 screwed with this post 10-13-2013 at 08:48 PM
dirtdreamer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:44 PM   #644
ruffntuff OP
TUFRDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Jon View Post
I'll echo what a lot of others have already said; I spend a fair amount of time on this site, I've lurked for years and only recently even registered. I'll probably only ever amount to a handful of posts. All my travels, the miles and weeks on the road, getting rained on, camping, freezing, baking, sweating, swearing and all the associated troubles, panics, opportunities, chance encounters and unexpected joys that i have been lucky enough to have had, will never amount to a ride report that comes close to this. That said, I had to say thanks. Thanks for sharing, it can't have been easy. Thanks for the time and effort you put into the writing, it shows.

A ride report is a poor name for what you have done. A report implies that it is a merely collection of data, of facts and experiences, gathered and relayed for dissemination and review.
You've told a magnificent story. One that has captivated and moved a great many strangers in your wide audience. A good story shares something of the teller, and you have shared much of yourself.

Thanks for the story.

- Jon
Thank you so much!! Feedback like this really keeps me motivated to keep working on this story and re-live my adventure in a way. I'm sorry the progress has been so slow. Thanks for following and reading! I do hope to make it more than just a ride report one day, this is just the rough draft....;)

anna
Old 10-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #645
ruffntuff OP
TUFRDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
Anna, I have been lurking on this site for some time now. Your thread has finally motivated me to register. I have to say how impressed I am with your travels and your writing. I have two daughters who I hope grow up to be independent thinkers and doers who aren't afraid to take on any challenge. Your parents, if they think like me, must be very proud of you. Working through your loss, and your fears, and not running from them will serve you well throughout your life. Hell, it already has! Good luck with whatever adventure awaits, and I can't wait for your next post.
I too plan to ride to Alaska (from New England and through Canada on dirt) in a few years when my girls are grown a bit. But surely not on a Radian, as fine a steed as it may be. Kudos to you on that too, lol...
I am honored to of been such an influence. Good luck on your own adventure!

anna