Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2013, 07:56 AM   #661
dhweber1
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffntuff View Post
Introduction:

I hadn’t ridden a motorcycle in eight years. But after my brother was struck and killed by a drunk driver on his motorcycle during my first semester of college in 2010, I could think of nothing else but to do the ride we always talked about - to Alaska.
I have fantasized numerous times about making such a trip like this. Thanks for letting me and numerous others make the trip vicariously through you. Reading your travelogue has me thinking once again that I could do it, even though I am much older than you (65). You had a purpose for your trip and you allowed us to revel in your ups and downs, your excitements and your sorrows and your dealings with nature, strangers and breakdowns.

Thanks for making the trip and thanks for sharing it with us. If I should decide to take a challenge like this on, it will be because you so eloquently described what an undertaking it is. Also, if I should decide to do such a thing, I would attempt to describe how I handled it myself in this forum or others. I would never be able to compare any written tale of such a trip to the beautiful prose you have laid down on these electronic pages. I do wish that you wouldn't have described all of your encounters with the rain though. I hate rain and that fact is what I may use as an excuse if I don't go.
dhweber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:54 AM   #662
nccowgirl
something shiny

Oddometer: 15
ok I will confess, I just read the entire report a second time..

I had realized part way through it how much it reminded me of the "bible" I carried with me for many backpacking miles in the 70's. On The Loose by Terry and Renny Russell. Some of you may remember that book.
Good job Anna.
nccowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:16 AM   #663
Uke
visualist

Oddometer: 36
"On the Loose"

"To Ma, who worried"

On the Loose is not just a book, it is a philosophy.

Among my all time favorite books, I still treasure my very worn copy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nccowgirl View Post
ok I will confess, I just read the entire report a second time..

I had realized part way through it how much it reminded me of the "bible" I carried with me for many backpacking miles in the 70's. On The Loose by Terry and Renny Russell. Some of you may remember that book.
Good job Anna.
Uke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:46 AM   #664
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,021
Ok, now you've piqued my curiosity so I'll buy "On the Loose" for my Kindle to help pass the time over here in Taipei

Ok, forget that idea, it's not available for Kindle. Damn.
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:36 AM   #665
nccowgirl
something shiny

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
Ok, now you've piqued my curiosity so I'll buy "On the Loose" for my Kindle to help pass the time over here in Taipei

Ok, forget that idea, it's not available for Kindle. Damn.
It really isn't a book as much as it is photographs and quotes. It was indicative of the philosophies that were developing during the late 60's when people were questioning the status quo and the relationship with nature.
Her story and observations about herself and the trip just reminded me of it. Terry Russell drowned in the Green River not long before On the Loose was published by the Sierra Club. His brother Renny wrote a book "Rock me on the Water" about the times with his brother.
nccowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:43 AM   #666
skibum69
slave to gravity

Thanks for the info
Old 10-31-2013, 09:03 PM   #667
zed88
n00bilicious

Oddometer: 1,297
Its rare I post in ride reports but to echo all the other comments this was a epic trip and one I'm glad you shared. There is something amazing about heading out on a trip as a young person that just can't be replicated. One day your kids and grand kids will enjoy reading this. I try to write down as much as I can (even at 28 I forget things) so that certain experiences can be passed on.

Thanks for sharing with the rest of us.
-E
zed88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:46 AM   #668
KillerSquirrel
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I saw this link from another forum, I have since spent my lunch breaks at work reading through. All I can say is... wow! Amazing journey, I am jealous. Your story has inspired me to start planning for my own adventures. I can't wait to read the next installments!
KillerSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:03 PM   #669
nomadb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Thumb Great writing!

Thank you Anna, for taking the time to share your trip with us.

The way you write straight and simple makes it attractive. And observations from the road as they happen......

Few points from your memories;
I will remind below to me. Really what is the hurry?
"I rode to the top, but could hardly make out the parameter of the parking lot.
It wasn’t cold, and I sat for several minutes in the thick fog wondering to myself, “Why am I in such a hurry? Why does anything matter? Everything works out eventually and nothing really lasts…..so…..why the fuck do I care so much?! Just chill the fuck out!”

Next point is about your observations about riding in company. How some how you have seen more and enjoyed the company.

Anyway, now get your notes and pics and share the rest of the trip with us, Eh?
nomadb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:19 PM   #670
ruffntuff OP
TUFRDR

Oddometer: 107
Portland, OR

Part 2: Day 5
July 4, 2012
Portland, OR

It was a beautiful day in Portland for the 4th of July. The sky was blue and it was in the 70’s. It was one of the few clear days Portland gets in a year and I was lucky to be there.

I was a little hung-over from staying up late drinking with my cousin Heather, but we still made it to Aunt Cathy’s for breakfast in the morning.

On the way we stopped at Voodoo Donuts, the most amazing donut shop I have ever been to. These are not just donuts, but crazy creative edible works of art. Not only do they have donuts with toppings you’d never think of like bacon or Captain Crunch cereal, but many are not traditionally shaped or decorated and come with corresponding titles.

They have a “Blunt” shaped donut with maple frosting and red sprinkle embers. They have a “Gay Bar” donut filled with cream and all the colors of the rainbow. There’s a “Cock-n-Balls” shaped donut filled with Bavarian cream. There’s a “Dirty Snowballs” donut with marshmallow icing and a dollop of peanut butter in the middle resembling a fresh coiler. And yes, there is a “Voodoo Doll” donut covered in chocolate with a scary face and a pretzel sticking out of its chest that is filled with raspberry jelly. Cheers to Portland for keeping it weird!
http://voodoodoughnut.com/doughnuts.php

Mesmerized by the awesomeness of this place with a slogan of, “The Magic is in the Hole,” I had to go with the Cock-n-Balls. It was just too funny--especially thinking about what my Aunt’s reaction would be.

Heather and I placed the box on the counter and told her mother to go help herself to a donut trying not to giggle. We heard her gasp from the kitchen, “Oh my God! You girls!! That is obscene!” Laughter roared though the house.

It turned out only Heather and I were brave enough to eat such a disgraceful donut. I took a bite from the balls and sucked the cream out. I don’t even like donuts, but that was the most delicious and satisfying head I’ve ever experienced. Sorry, no picture.

It was such a nice day outside. After breakfast we all decided to walk around the International Rose Test Garden in Washington Park. My dad and his three sisters rode together while I followed on the Radian carrying Heather on back.

That was the first time I carried a passenger with me. It didn’t feel too different weight wise from carrying all my gear but carrying a passenger made the bike feel slightly more unstable and wobbly. Heather is close to 6 feet tall and was towering over my head from the little Radian’s back seat making the bike more top heavy than usual. I was extra careful to glide into my stops gradually, avoiding the pendulous domino effect of stopping and going too quickly with an extra body on back. She did great staying centered right behind me and not swaying too much. I especially appreciated the sticker on back of her helmet, “Nice People Swallow.”

With it being such a perfect day on a holiday, unfortunately it seemed everyone else in Portland had the same idea as us. It was so crowded parking took some time, although it was easier and quicker for me. I found a tight spot between cars only a bike would fit in. I love motorcycle parking.

It was such a clear day you could see the top of Mt. Hood peaking above the clouds at 11,250 feet still covered in snow. It towered in the sky behind the park surrounded with perfect blossoming roses.

And now for a historical interlude:

Portland was nicknamed “The City of Roses” as far back as 1905 during the Lewis and Clark Exposition. It was a four month run fair featuring exhibits from twenty-one countries and sixteen states in an effort to boost the economy as well as commemorate history. Over twenty miles of streets in Portland were decorated with roses by the Portland Rose Society for the event to help attract visitors.

It wasn’t until 1917 the International Rose Test Garden was established. In an effort to protect hybrid roses growing in Europe during WWI, Jesse Currey, rose hobbyist and editor of the Oregon Journal, convinced the Park Bureau to approve the idea. Since then roses have been shipped from all over the world to be planted there.

Now the garden has grown into a gorgeous four acre landscape consisting of over 7000 plants and 500 species throughout four individually themed collections.

The Royal Rosarian Garden consists of namesake roses commemorating past Prime Ministers of a civic group serving as ambassadors of Portland. The Shakespeare Garden (my personal favorite) consists of roses along a brick wall named after characters in his plays. There is a plaque with his quote, “Of all flowers methinks a rose is best.” The Gold Medal Garden consists of award winning roses surrounding a central fountain and gazebo. And the Miniature Rose Garden is one of only six testing grounds for the American Rose Society consisting of several unique varieties.

Ok that’s enough boring information. I was more impressed with the actual flowers and landscaping than the history itself. It’s pretty crazy how many species exist and how unique each one is.

It was beautiful there. That is all.

(Dad with his beautiful sisters)

After a lovely stroll through the park Heather and I headed back home for a siesta to catch a second wind. We were still exhausted from the night before and needed to re-energize for another night of drinking and fireworks. On the way home I kept thinking, “Why isn’t there a “Rose” donut?”

We went to Sextant Bar (great name)with my dad after our beauty rest and arrived just in time to grab a table outside by the Columbia River. A beautiful sunset melted into the water and fireworks shimmered through the ripples. It was a perfect spot to finish the day on the 4th of July, away for the thick crowds in the city.

(Me and my super hot cousin)

My mind was distracted with one thing, however. I had butterflies burning in my gut.

I was going to see Billy tomorrow.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:00 PM   #671
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,027
Glad you haven't forgotten us out here in forum land. Great day for sure. I loved the donut head experience. I know you realize that most of us think of this as a love story on many levels, as well as a rider report. The last sentences about Billy just reinforce that thought.

Hopefully we will some day know of the emotional outcome between the two of you. tomp dd50
Old 11-16-2013, 06:19 AM   #672
CallMeBoog
Done

Oddometer: 5,523
this should be a book someday - an adventure, comedy, romance novel. Put the radian on the cover instead of a shirtless fabio and men would read it.

Love your writing style, been following since the beginning - you brighten my day when there's a new post from you.

Boog

CallMeBoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:00 AM   #673
skibum69
slave to gravity

nice way to leave us with anticipation…….
Old 11-16-2013, 08:05 AM   #674
SBKBee
BEE/CNU

Oddometer: 4
"Portland was nicknamed “The City of Roses” as far back as 1905 during the Lewis and Clark Exposition."

Must have been a long trip, they left Virginia in 1803.

Sorry Padawan, just wanted to show I read every word. Thanks for the update.
SBKBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:13 AM   #675
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBKBee View Post
"Portland was nicknamed “The City of Roses” as far back as 1905 during the Lewis and Clark Exposition."

Must have been a long trip, they left Virginia in 1803.

Sorry Padawan, just wanted to show I read every word. Thanks for the update.
No big deal, maybe a typo. Sounded like a long time ago to me.