Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2013, 08:13 AM   #676
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBKBee View Post
"Portland was nicknamed “The City of Roses” as far back as 1905 during the Lewis and Clark Exposition."

Must have been a long trip, they left Virginia in 1803.

Sorry Padawan, just wanted to show I read every word. Thanks for the update.
No big deal, maybe a typo. Sounded like a long time ago to me.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:18 AM   #677
Beemermcr
Big, Dumb, Happy!

Oddometer: 293
Exposition vs Expedition

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 4
2000 DRZ "Burro"
Beemermcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:24 AM   #678
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_a...ial_Exposition

No typo, 1905 as she stated. What a great thread, this is...
Old 11-16-2013, 12:47 PM   #679
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
No typo, 1905 as she stated.
Exposition, NOT Expedition. I needed a second look, too.
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:05 PM   #680
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

How could anyone ever doubt a lady who would not only eat a cock-n-balls donut, but write about it for millions to read. Would love to have a lady so cool as her in my life...
Old 11-17-2013, 12:45 AM   #681
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,941
I too have been to Voodoo Doughnuts and you really need to experience a bacon maple bar alongside a Rogue Brewing Voodoo Doughnut ale. Yummy
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:20 AM   #682
Gordon and Toni
Easy Livin

Oddometer: 385
Nice report and ride ruffntuff its simply amazing what you have done. Your brother smiles as he watches over you from above. Safe Travels

2009 HD Road King from Ohio to Alaska and back..
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=933871
Gordon and Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:35 AM   #683
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,082
There are tasty bits all over this report, but having lived in Germany, this one really had me rolling:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffntuff View Post
I was laying there awake for awhile when I heard a soft voice with a German accent outside my tent. “Guten Morgen Anna.” I was happy to hear my friend’s voice and said good morning to him as I opened the tent. I saw him standing there by my bike attempting to place a note on it, melting in the rain. He turned smiling and said, “Bike fest, you come when you’re ready.” Then he left.

I sat there confused for a moment then went to look at the soggy piece of paper he left on my bike. It said “Breakfast at Café Volker.” Ooooh……he said “breakfast,” not “bike fest.” Sweet! It was all the more reason to not pack up and ride in the rain.

tricepilot screwed with this post 11-24-2013 at 04:17 PM
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:47 PM   #684
ruffntuff OP
TUFRDR

Oddometer: 106
read every work eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBKBee View Post
"Portland was nicknamed “The City of Roses” as far back as 1905 during the Lewis and Clark Exposition."

Must have been a long trip, they left Virginia in 1803.

Sorry Padawan, just wanted to show I read every word. Thanks for the update.
What was that you said about reading every word?
Sorry Oh-Bee-wan, just wanted you to know I did my research. ;)
Old 11-18-2013, 03:55 PM   #685
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffntuff View Post
What was that you said about reading every word?
Sorry Oh-Bee-wan, just wanted you to know I did my research. ;)
Ha Ha Ha Ha...

What was I doing defending you. You needed NO help. Guess it was the occasional gentleman in me taking over... tomp dd50
Old 11-24-2013, 08:49 AM   #686
ruffntuff OP
TUFRDR

Oddometer: 106
Portland, OR - Crescent City, CA

Part 2: Day 6
July 5th, 2012
Portland, OR – Crescent City, CA: 484 miles

After Dan died, I kept telling myself, “I will never fall in love.” I lived with his wife for two years while I finished school. Watching her suffer from losing her best friend, potential father of her child, and what should have been her future was enough pain for me to witness than to ever want to love someone as deeply as she did him.

I couldn’t imagine opening up to someone, needing someone, relying on someone, or being attached. Attachment made me feel vulnerable. I was afraid of loss. Nothing lasted forever. Everything would end eventually and provided I was detached from it all, I would be safe from suffering. I didn’t want to love anyone and I didn’t want anyone to love me. I had nothing to give and could not receive.

Just a couple months before graduation and starting this adventure I reconnected with an old friend from the Appalachian Trail, Jared. It was an instantaneous love affair. He was a person I associated with a very happy time in my life and from that connection all my walls were knocked down. He bypassed all my rules and made me feel like he was a safe person to bond with.

He became my best friend. I could talk to him about my own loss. I felt warmness and butterflies and excitement. He became a diversion from my own suffering and filled me with love and laughter again.

Jared is the one that cracked my shell and showed me I was capable of loving and being loved. I left for my journey with a better heart because of him.

But as I began to travel and get further away, my bond with him grew less. As I continued healing on the road I felt guilt from leaving him behind. His struggle with our separation became my burden. And by the time I made it to Alaska, I felt it was an effort to be in a relationship. It was a distraction from my own journey.

Then I met Billy. I had been traveling alone the entire time, racing like a demon to get to my destination. I didn’t want to be bothered by anyone else. But the immediate connection I felt with Billy slowed me down and softened my senses. I started to enjoy sharing my ride.

It’s amazing how people come in and out of our lives at just the right time and just the right place; often serving some big purpose or need we may not even be aware of. Some connections last longer than others. But they are all stepping stones it seems to get us through our lives.

After riding through that storm with Billy, an epic moment meant to be, I felt a tie with him I have never experienced with anyone else. In Vancouver my mind was distracted, thinking of him, missing him, and wanting him. It confused me and scared me how drawn I felt to him. Was this just infatuation, or lust? Or was this something deeper?

I felt guilt for it all and told Jared about my attraction to Billy. I didn’t feel it was fair to him and I knew I needed to let him go. I broke Jared’s heart and didn’t feel I deserved to feel the love again that I shared with him.

I saw my dad off at the airport before packing up the bike and heading out of Portland. It was a bit complicated getting out of the city. But I made it after several u-turns and headed west on 26 towards the coast.

It was another gorgeous clear day. The coast of Oregon was jagged with rocky cliffs blanketed with emerald trees, and giant boulders jutting from the ocean like mountains being swallowed by the sea.

I stopped at an overlook and saw several sea lions sun bathing on the rocks. I took several breaths but still couldn’t relax. I felt so anxious. I wanted to ride fast and just get to Crescent City where Billy would be waiting. “It’s not the destination Anna, it’s the journey…just FUCKING RELAX!!!!”

Although it was pretty on the coast, traffic was obnoxiously slow going through small town after small town. My gut was burning and I felt I was going to pop a cork if I didn’t start making some miles. So, I headed back inland towards the twisty secluded mountain roads I preferred. I followed a beautiful river until I got to I-5 and raced as fast as I could, almost legally, heading south.

The wind turned warmer then hotter the further south I got. I began to feel a drip slowly tickle under my shirt and it was the first time since leaving Virginia I began to sweat. I removed the insulation from my jacket and the lightness I felt was so liberating I couldn’t imagine feeling more free on a bike. The vents were open and a lovely light breeze filtered through.

Riding fast on an easy highway was good for my anxiety. At least I felt like I was getting somewhere. But highway miles are boring miles which caused my mind to start thinking too much.

“Why are you so attracted to this guy anyway? You hardly know him. What the fuck is wrong with you?”
Nothing is wrong with you; you’re just being honest about how you feel.

“But how do I know how I really feel when I’m in love with one guy for a couple months and then it doesn’t last? Who does that? You’re so fucked up!”
No, you’re not fucked up. You loved him during a time you needed to and now that time is over.

“But then what’s the fucking point of love anyway if nothing lasts? I may just meet someone else later and break someone else’s heart. How do people ever get married? Jesus!”
Calm down, calm down. Just be in the moment. You’re excited to see Billy, so enjoy that.

“But maybe I’m just attracted to the idea of Billy, like how we met and riding together….it’s so cliché.”
Dude! Relax!! Just be yourself and stop thinking so much. I’m sick of being in your head.

“Let me out! Let me out!”

Thankfully after fully exhausting my mind on I-5, I reached 199. Billy had recommended I ride it into Crescent City. My brain got a break and I was back in the zone of riding a beautiful twisty road through a gigantic redwood forest.

It was humbling riding through those trees. Pictures can’t even capture the magnitude of their size. So strong and wise they feel. The gentle giants grounded me again, and I felt I had some sanity left.

After a ten hour ride I made it to Crescent City mentally and physically exhausted. I had barely stopped at all. My ass was sore and I was starving.
Billy and I had both been searching for a week for a campground in the surrounding area to meet at. With it being a holiday weekend neither of us had any luck. He ended up reserving us a hotel room at the Best Western, and I have to say after a ten hour ride I was looking forward to a hot tub and cold beer.

I rolled in and found his bike, still dusted with Alaska, and parked next to it. As I pulled off my helmet, shaggy sweaty hair everywhere, I heard him from the window above, “Nice hair!”

I felt butterflies and probably a mild heart arrhythmia. He came down to meet me and gave me a hug I thought I was going to melt into. I instantly felt calm. And I was very happy.

ruffntuff screwed with this post 11-29-2013 at 10:18 AM
ruffntuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:53 AM   #687
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Thanks for the continuation of your story. Glad to know I'm not the only one to ever have those same confused feelings...Can't wait for the next installment.

I doubt you will post more before the holiday, so Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:58 AM   #688
Blader54
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 831
RnT, great update! Your ability to continue the story and make it seem like it's all just happening, even though it took place a while ago, is just one of the many things that make your report special. Thanks for taking time away from the present to finish this tale of (what's now) the past. Time....always elusive, slipping through our fingers, more perhaps a thing passing through us than we passing through it.....surely the most precious gift anyone can bestow....so many thanks for giving us some of that time.
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:41 AM   #689
Mustang28027
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
She rides like a guy( well, most of them), but thinks, feels and writes like a gal... it's so refreshing.

Great ride report.
Mustang28027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 03:37 PM   #690
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,546

Lucky guy. This post made me smile.. A lot. I was doing the same thing in my head with a Russian girl I traveled with earlier. Fortunately for you, your outcome was better than mine. Always a good read Anna. Cheers!
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote