Old 01-11-2014, 09:02 AM   #707
ruffntuff OP
TUFRDR

Oddometer: 107
Crescent City - Cloverdale, CA

Part 2: Day 7
July 6th, 2012
Crescent City – Cloverdale, CA: 290 miles

Billy and I slept in, snuggled under the sheets, curled in each other’s warmness. Motivation to leave our comfy sanctuary was tough to find. The only thing that pulled us from our nest was the free breakfast buffet about to close downstairs.

We fueled up on coffee, eggs, bacon and pancakes before packing up the bikes and finally hitting the road at 11am. Headed south on 101, we followed the coastline mostly. It was overcast and chilly, but the further south we got the warmer and sunnier it became.

At times I began to notice a slight slip in the front break at traffic lights. I felt it taking longer than usual to stop. Billy and I pulled into a beach parking lot for a pit stop. I investigated and saw the fork seals on both sides were split and leaking fork oil onto the calipers. I texted a picture to Bee. He said he’d ship me new ones to San Francisco so I could have them replaced.

We stood on the beach for a while. It was cold and windy, but all I could feel was how good life is. I feel so free and relaxed being on the west coast. The thought of going back to Virginia is depressing. Maybe I can find a job here.

I realized today I went over 10,000 miles since leaving Virginia. It is truly unbelievable. And the bike still feels solid. I guess I never imagined I would get this far.

We stopped in Eureka to pick up sandwiches to bring into the Redwoods. As we headed down the Avenue of the Giants I felt the energy of the trees so settling. They are incredible. I’ve never seen such massive trees. It’s humbling and makes me feel so small in the world. It was similar to the feeling I had on the Denali Highway, riding for miles in open wilderness next to those amazing mountains.

Like any other amazing beautiful place, every turn-off was packed with RV’s and travelers. We managed to find a small quiet area tucked away from the tourists to take a break and eat our lunch. I felt so peaceful and relaxed sitting there, surrounded by giants. I was speechless.

Billy and I reached his family farm in Cloverdale a little before dark. It’s a beautiful place nestled between vineyards next to the Russian River. There are pastures with goats and llamas and chickens run free in the beautiful garden his mother tends.

We had just enough daylight to walk down to the river for a swim. It was chilly but refreshing.

It was a wonderful evening drinking beer, making nachos, and watching one of my favorite movies, Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I feel such a strong connection with Billy. It feels good to be here.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:26 AM   #708
Bike Nomad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Thank you for continuing your tale. I've greatly enjoyed reading your journey.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:53 AM   #709
Blader54
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 914
Hey ruffntuff! Nice update. Thanks again for continuing your report. I'm sure there are still many who follow and are inspired by your journey, as well as the ride.
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:54 AM   #710
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,370
Epic ride. Loss and love.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:03 AM   #711
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 624
Excellent. Poignant and yet pensive.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:37 PM   #712
cycleman2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 474
Well done Anna. I've spent a few hours the last couple of days reading and have enjoyed seeing your trip through your eyes.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:20 AM   #713
treebrain
Bobby Lynch

Oddometer: 47
That reminds me.

First off, Anna, really nice, honest writing.

Second, one of your entries took me to a memory:

Without any pretense toward the ending of your tale, seventeen years ago in late winter, disgusted and disheartened after crawling out of the debris of a completely exhausting relationship, I made the ridiculously dramatic proclamation to friends that I was done with what I saw as the effort required to have a happy, loving and romantic relationship. They smiled and handed me the keys to their condo in Ocean City, Maryland, suggesting I get away for a few days.

So late on that day in March, I got on my bike ('81 XS Eleven) and headed out in a cold, grey Virginia drizzle, cresting the Chesapeake Bay Bridge as the last of the light faded behind me in the West. It was all so perfectly miserable.

A week later, I met the same friends to return their key and to let them know that I'd "just met this really interesting girl . . ."

This morning I took our 15 year-old daughter to school and met that interesting girl, my interesting wife of sixteen years, for coffee.

Funny how the Universe seems to enjoy itself by answering, "Oh yeah? Watch this."
treebrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:52 PM   #714
tvbh40a
PSUViking

Oddometer: 1,392
Nice write up

Quote:
Originally Posted by treebrain View Post
Funny how the Universe seems to enjoy itself by answering, "Oh yeah? Watch this."
There is a quote for the books.
tvbh40a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:04 PM   #715
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,958
still tagging along to see what you have to share with us next
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:48 AM   #716
Super T
Ridge Runner

Oddometer: 11
Now I'm NOT sure if you have returned to VA or remained in CA??? Nice twist to your story. You just never know where the adventure will take you when you're on 2 wheels:)
Super T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:38 AM   #717
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,717
In the free advice with a lifetime's hindsight column...never sell that Radian. Too many memories are invested in it. Ask any rider over the age if 50 and everyone regrets getting rid of a special bike. No matter how awkward it is to keep.

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:52 AM   #718
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by conchscooter View Post
In the free advice with a lifetime's hindsight column...never sell that Radian. Too many memories are invested in it. Ask any rider over the age if 50 and everyone regrets getting rid of a special bike. No matter how awkward it is to keep.
I totally agree! My 690 is going to be in my living room someday

See you in South America Anna!
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:08 AM   #719
cycleman2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 474
Look forward to your next adventure.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:03 AM   #720
Greenhopper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by conchscooter View Post
Ditto that, my very first motorcycle was an 86 Yamaha Radian with that very same paint. Bought it brand new for $1950.00 when I was in the Army. I've always had wistful thoughts of that machine, and I'd love to have it back. I used to load it up with some saddle bags from JC Whitney, and strap my tent and bedroll to the tail in the same fashion and migrate between my home in Washington and my grandparents in Arizona. I hope the rest of your story works out well.
Greenhopper is offline   Reply With Quote