Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2014, 09:12 AM   #766
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,017
I can only imagine writing with the emotion and vibrancy as she does, now that this trip is just a memory to her. She has lived a good while and has had many new experiences since even starting this work of written art, much less the actual trip. I understand the time between posts and thank her for the effort she now puts in for our reading enjoyment.

Still want to know if they remained a couple. It is a story of awakening and love, after all... tp dd50
Old 04-16-2014, 11:07 AM   #767
ShiftHead
the f is silent.

Oddometer: 259
A kindred spirit rides amongst us...

I've read quite a few RRs, and rarely am I entertained. And even more rarely have I *felt* one.

Some of my favorite passages:
Quote:
Riding with Dan: I was listening to music on my Bluetooth when one of Dan’s favorite U2 songs came on, Van Diemen’s Land. I saw a hawk fly over my head at this moment and couldn’t resist tears from blinding me. I pulled over and stood over the river feeling that Dan was with me.

Journal excerpt:
“Saw three hawks today. I can’t help but feel Dan is with me and following me on this journey. I miss him and want him to be proud of me.”

Anna's soul exhales: It was a beautiful spot. The water was so calm and crystal clear surrounded by white tipped mountains. I felt peaceful here. I was really beginning to enjoy my trip, being alone. I felt confident for once in my life.

Riding with Dan: The next 60 miles were the most emotional I had felt. It was an intense ride not just emotionally but physically too. I followed the windy gravel and dirt road above tree line with snow covered peaks in the distance. I was in tears the entire time, thinking of Dan. Thinking he was watching, wishing he was with me. I could feel his face on my face and imagine it from his own helmet. We looked so much alike, everyone would tell me. At times this was all I could see, even from the top of the world.

GaryAK : We duly noticed that you have your passenger pegs down for Dan - way cool

Riding with Dan: This is where I felt I was on the top of the world. When I summited the pass I felt my heart lift and I smiled and laughed thinking of Dan. I could feel his face in my face and imagine his expressions in my expressions. I knew he was there and felt giddy being there with him.

Farting: However, I’ve never been able to do that when I want to, only during the most inappropriate times, like church, or an interview, or getting a massage, or while having sex.

The universe has a conversation with Anna and Billy: “In just one hour I felt surrounded by all the elements of earth and nature to their extreme. I was humbled and actually felt enlightened and at peace afterwards. I felt fearless and calm. I saw the darkest of clouds with lightning inside them surrounded with the bluest of sky in the distance. I felt the warmest wind and smelled the most pungent spruce trees. I saw the sun peak through the clouds at its brightest and I saw the most vibrant rainbow. I was moved to tears and felt Dan was a part of it all. I felt like he was in the sky, in the rain, in the sun, in the rainbow. It was the most soul touching experience of my life. Even during the hardest rain I felt hail hitting my hands at times but I remained calm and fearless. It felt like an epiphany or closure to my Alaskan adventure. I’m so thankful to have experienced this with Billy too.”
(Journal excerpt)Billy and I stopped for gas on the other side of the storm. The rain had stopped and the sky was clear. I doubted if Billy experienced the same feelings during that storm. I was shy to show my tears unsure if he’d understand. To my surprise, when he took off his helmet, he had tears in his eyes. “I think I just found what I’ve been looking for on this trip,” he said.
I hugged him hard and cried. <--my personal favorite part

Beating Billy: Best orca sighting pic yet. I sent this one to Billy

Radiance (I named your bike) enjoying the conversation with Mother Nature: She still stood through the whole night, withstanding the brunt of the weather. Stoic and strong facing the storm she glowed under the street lights like a brave superhero. I felt guilty watching her, warm and dry from my safe haven.

For all Dads: He crossed the street faster than I could get off the bike. I could see the thrill in his eyes and feel the relief in his embrace. “You are a hero,” he said chuckling with tears in his eyes.

Family: Heather and I placed the box on the counter and told her mother to go help herself to a donut trying not to giggle. We heard her gasp from the kitchen, “Oh my God! You girls!! That is obscene!” Laughter roared though the house.

A lucky man: He came down to meet me and gave me a hug I thought I was going to melt into. I instantly felt calm. And I was very happy.

Makes me smile:I did call Billy though. “Would you come teach me to split lanes?” (big grin) “See you next weekend,” he said.
I don't usually like following a crowd, but sometimes you feel you aren't paying respect if you don't, and that's worse.

So thanks Anna, it's been a joyful trip for me as well. You're a kindred spirit, and Dan's gotta be beaming with pride.
- Bigzoner #052 English Chapter "Keep Brotherhood Till Die!" - Nate & Dot Fan club
- The "Got Screwed" Newb
ShiftHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:18 AM   #768
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,725
Hmm. This could be her longest absence. Not sure, but it seems like it. Anna, you coming back?
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:10 AM   #769
BluesCruiser
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
I feel so fortunate to have found this RR. I posted the link on my FB page and already several others are following it. I have been rationing it out, never reading more than a "week" in a day, but now I am on page 52. Can't wait for the next update.

My own daughter (also named Anna ) rode for a while then hung it up when she went back to school. I am guessing she will grab it again some day...especially if she starts reading this thread!
BluesCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:16 PM   #770
HMMWV
Makin Dust

Oddometer: 22
This has been, by far, the best "thread" I have ever read (on any forum). I put thread in quotes, because quite honestly, it's more of a book than a thread. You are a great writer, and I would have no issue not seeing the ending of your story here....providing you put it in a book! Seriously. You have a great gift for writing and story telling.

I stopped to read this because of one word in the title: Radian. Man, "back in the day" that was the bike I really wanted. By the time I had $$$$ for a bike like that, the early CBRs had come out (the mighty Hurricanes) and I was sold...several times. Still think the Radian is one of the best looking, dependable, sporty "standards" ever. The fact you took one to Alaska 26 years after it's birthdate, well that's just cool.

So the Radian made me stop. Your writing kept me locked in. Hope to read more of your journey.
HMMWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:34 AM   #771
Wyngs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
My thoughts are the same as Shiftheads, who said it better than i could. Grats Anna and respects. I have 4 daughters who I raised hopefully to have the spirit of adventure and life that you have displayed here in whatever they choose to do.

~Wyngs
Wyngs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:34 AM   #772
ruffntuff OP
TUFRDR

Oddometer: 107
Stay Tuned

Thank you all for your patience and support....I am still alive and working on the next installment!

As I have said this before it gets harder to write but not less enjoyable, and getting all the support from my readers is a wonderful reminder to keep me going.

More is coming!

A
Old 04-23-2014, 08:38 AM   #773
bluestar
misfit

Oddometer: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffntuff View Post
More is coming!

A

Two lane blacktop isn't a highway, it's an attitude.
bluestar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:41 AM   #774
Stubanger
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffntuff View Post

More is coming!

A
Good stuff! We're all eagerly awaiting the next installment :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Stubanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:59 AM   #775
StickJan
Mobilis in mobil

Oddometer: 22
Anna has a fan club. :)
Old 04-23-2014, 04:28 PM   #776
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickJan View Post

Yep. Waiting..................patiently?

Good to hear all is well!
Old 04-23-2014, 04:32 PM   #777
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521

jj
Old 04-23-2014, 06:38 PM   #778
rodr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541

rodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:59 PM   #779
scfrank
I'm back - sort of.

Oddometer: 7,406
Outstanding.

There are so many superlatives in the comments they get to be normal. Anything but.

The trip itself, amazing and inspiring.

Ruff N Tuff. Indeed

The writing. Inspirational.

Pictures, beautiful.

Usually i read 2 or 3 pages and skip to the end. Not this time.

I salute you, Anna.

"No, I give it up." Alice replied. "What's the answer?"

"I haven't the slightest idea." Said the Hatter.

"Nor, I" said the March Hare.
scfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:02 PM   #780
scfrank
I'm back - sort of.

Oddometer: 7,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickJan View Post
Absolutely.

"Time seems to slow down when on the water. It forces you to be in that moment, present in the surrounding natural environment with only the sounds of the water, wind, and nature. No distractions contaminate the purity between you and what swims below the water.

I realized this was exactly the same experience I felt on a motorcycle.

Maybe that’s why I couldn’t stop. I was addicted to this level of detachment I had put myself in. I had detached myself from the modern world and its dark realities, unable to cope, unable to embrace the ones that loved me.

I was afraid to allow myself to love, afraid of losing what I loved most. I couldn't allow myself to be loved. I felt I had nothing to give and therefore could not receive. So I ran away from it all, finding peace within the realness of the natural world."

Girl, im not sure how old you are, but you are wise beyond your years. You have a gift.

"No, I give it up." Alice replied. "What's the answer?"

"I haven't the slightest idea." Said the Hatter.

"Nor, I" said the March Hare.

scfrank screwed with this post 04-24-2014 at 06:38 AM
scfrank is offline   Reply With Quote