Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 03:55 AM   #1
Samy OP
Samy

Oddometer: 49
Question Battery for R80 GS Basic

Hi,

I replaced Bosch acid battery with an Odyssey battery two years ago.

I stored my bike for winter and wanted to take away the battery. When I took the new battery for charging, guy said me it is dead and better if I buy a new one.

How it can die so fast?

I bought it in Germany (I live in Turkey) so I can't follow the warranty though I think warranty is valid for one year.

So need to decide for the new one!

Acid, Gel, Lithium ? ? ?

Which one do you recommend for my GS Basic ?

Thanks
Samy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:34 PM   #2
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,004
I'd be surprised if that Oddysey is really dead. Take it someone who isn't trying to sell you a new one. However, if you must replace it, another Oddysey or a Shorai would be good choices. The nice thing about the Shorai is that it'l go in without removing the shock.
bmwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:19 PM   #3
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,615
been running a Shoria in my R80G/S .. note if you decide to run a Shorai go up by 2-3 sizes over what they recommend.

recommendation is to go back with another Odyssey battery or another AGM. most AGM batteries are pretty rugged, but NO battery will consistently survive being drained completely dead. I've also brought back my Shorai battery back from completely dead.

Odyssey has an excellent reputation for coming back of life after a total discharge. don't throw away your old Odyssey without thoroughly trying to bring it back to life.

note AGM batteries need to be charged at a extremely high amp rate to help bring back from dead. then after battery comes back up within normal voltage range. then go back to normal charge rates.

unless you have a compelling reason to save 10+ lbs by going to LiFePO4 battery. best to stay with AGM.

AGM has an extremely low discharge rate as does LiFePO4. if there is little to no parasitic drain. your battery should go over winter without a trickle charger. but if your system constantly has a low current discharge a trickle charge will be needed. when in doubt disconnect your battery for the winter.

AGM has about 3% self discharge per month, LiFePO4 is about 1% per month. with no parasitic drain, both battery types will go thru a winter without trickle charger.

follow my LiFePO4 testing thread in sig for LOTS more detailed info...

_cy_ screwed with this post 10-04-2012 at 12:33 PM
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote