ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 12:07 PM   #16
K. L. Rocket
Big bouncy make big happy

Oddometer: 921
"Lane splitting by motorcycles is permissible but must be done in a safe and prudent manner."
http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/answers.html

"The OTS survey showed that only 53 percent of vehicle drivers knew that lane splitting is legal in California."
http://www.ots.ca.gov/Media_and_Research/Press_Room/2012/doc/2012_Motorcycle_Survey_and_Safety_Month.pdf

"–7.3 percent of drivers say they’ve tried to prevent a motorcyclist from lane splitting. Of them, 43.6 percent said they did it because lane splitting is unsafe and 23.1 percent said it was because “it is unfair they get ahead of me.”
–67.2 percent of motorcyclists said a driver has tried to prevent them from lane splitting."
http://roadwarrior.blogs.pressdemocr...d-legal/?tc=ar

K. L. Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:23 PM   #17
roundtripping
Adventourist

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragic Image View Post
You're kinda out of touch I think. When was the last time you commuted on a bike in LA?

I routinely see other riders, in groups on the 60, 91, 5 and 405.
Same thing in San Diego on the 8, 5, 805, 15 and 163.

My SPOT Tracker
roundtripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:47 PM   #18
linksIT
nOObie

Oddometer: 252
The worst thing I see is when there are bikes splitting in multiple lanes, like on both sides of a car.

The car hopefully sees one and moves over into the other.

Keep a eye out for this scenario as is can USUALLY be avoided by letting the faster bikes by you.

linksIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:03 PM   #19
tijuana
Farkling Around

Oddometer: 203
Easy enough, but I beleive in offensive awareness and the biggest threat i have found is a motorcycle splitting a lane and rushing up on me and almost getting t boned by the bike splitting lanes at a hooligans pace. not me... i mean...
tijuana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:39 PM   #20
Jeff aka BOLT
Prefer Saturdays

Oddometer: 1,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragic Image View Post
You're kinda out of touch I think. When was the last time you commuted on a bike in LA?

I routinely see other riders, in groups on the 60, 91, 5 and 405.
If you weren't in diapers while I spent decades on those highways both on bikes and in cars then at best you have an opposing opinion to share about the comparison between THEN and NOW.

Let's save the insults for something important.

Guests are encouraged.
Jeff aka BOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:06 PM   #21
MrBob OP
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by linksIT View Post
The worst thing I see is when there are bikes splitting in multiple lanes, like on both sides of a car.

The car hopefully sees one and moves over into the other.

Keep a eye out for this scenario as is can USUALLY be avoided by letting the faster bikes by you.

These days I avoid freeways and cities whenever possible, and after working the line at Farmer John's packing plant back in 1970 I think LA and I are done.
I'm perfectly happy to let faster riders by and the replies I've seen here have me thinking I'll be doing little, if any, lane splitting.
I'm not on a schedule or have a destination and the theme of this trip is BOATSBOATSBOATS. I love boats and the water and I've had damn little of either living in the desert for the last 6 years so I may visit every marina between Oregon and San Diego.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:27 PM   #22
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 21,170
I learned to share first, on the freeways... THEN became more comfortable filtering at lights.

Always anticipate what the drivers several cars ahead of you might want to do, given traffic conditions, you should be scanning CONSTANTLY every single vehicle you're about to pass gets an appraisal.

When sharing, you're constantly in SOMEBODY'S blind spot, don't dawdle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
These days I avoid freeways and cities whenever possible, and after working the line at Farmer John's packing plant back in 1970 I think LA and I are done.
I'm perfectly happy to let faster riders by and the replies I've seen here have me thinking I'll be doing little, if any, lane splitting.
I'm not on a schedule or have a destination and the theme of this trip is BOATSBOATSBOATS. I love boats and the water and I've had damn little of either living in the desert for the last 6 years so I may visit every marina between Oregon and San Diego.
Since you'll probably be taking PCH for most of the trip, I don't see much lane-sharing in your future.
Human Ills is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:36 PM   #23
Shunka
Supervision Required

Oddometer: 3,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post

Let me know when you hit Dana Point. I'll swing by and have a beer with ya.
Shunka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:52 PM   #24
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,243
I try to spend as little time next to semis as possible.
Pick a clean spot to pass them and get it done quickly.
There's several bike commuters on my route every day.
Gonna be one more tomorrow.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:57 PM   #25
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Ills View Post
When sharing, you're constantly in SOMEBODY'S blind spot, don't dawdle.
Straight from CHIP. You should always be moving past traffic.

I split a LOT. I find drivers to be generally quite courteous or simply oblivious. Only had one move over on me in many years, and that was filtering on PCH in Huntington Beach with the wife on the back. She said "What the fuck is your problem?" Oh, had one other one and my left mirror took his right mirror out on a 'burb. I was gonna stop but they just kept going. I could see the passenger trying to get it to stay back up there.

I used to sweat a lot doing it but now it doesn't bother me. Vigilance is an understatement. Accute paranoia is probably a better descriptor.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:01 PM   #26
CA Stu
Thanks

I cover the brakes while splitting... Guaranteed at least one person per day will not notice you and merge in front of you.
I reckon if you are aware of this fact and plan for it, when it does happen you aren't taken by surprise and are able to react that much better.
Be Master of the traffic, not a Slave to it...
Old 10-03-2012, 05:04 PM   #27
MrBob OP
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shunka View Post
Let me know when you hit Dana Point. I'll swing by and have a beer with ya.
Will do. I hope to meet up with inmates regularly.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:13 PM   #28
Jeff aka BOLT
Prefer Saturdays

Oddometer: 1,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu View Post
I cover the brakes while splitting... Guaranteed at least one person per day will not notice you and merge in front of you.
I reckon if you are aware of this fact and plan for it, when it does happen you aren't taken by surprise and are able to react that much better.
Be Master of the traffic, not a Slave to it...
In my time between cars I have been bounced like a pin ball a few times. It is surprising how easy it is to stay up right while beating the hell out of both cars simultaneously ! Scary to be sure.... but they were the losers in the end.

Guests are encouraged.
Jeff aka BOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:28 PM   #29
CA Stu
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff aka BOLT View Post
In my time between cars I have been bounced like a pin ball a few times. It is surprising how easy it is to stay up right while beating the hell out of both cars simultaneously ! Scary to be sure.... but they were the losers in the end.
Er...Good luck with that, man.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:03 PM   #30
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,701
I grew up lane splitting on the 405 back in the late 60's and have had daily bike commutes that were as far as Simi Valley to Irvine. I'll only split when traffic gets below around 30 to 35 mph, which causes most cars to stack in so tight it is really hard for them to make a really quick lane change. Awareness that a driver will start to leave room in front of himself to make a lane change helps prevent disaster.

There are just as many splitters today as there were back in the day, it seems however that there are more bikes doing stupid shit than ever. Splitting anything but the far left lanes is suicide.

I only commuted from Ventura County to Orange County on a bike for about a month and then I felt that the concentration it took to do it safely was making me more tired than if I had sat in the cage and turned my brain off like everyone else on the freeway.