ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 09:34 PM   #61
Jeff aka BOLT
Prefer Saturdays

Oddometer: 1,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerat View Post
saweet,partner of mine owned one,rode it ...felt slow till u looked at the clock
True... took the wife for a little spin this evening... she said how fast we going.. I said WHAT... she said HOW FAST WE GOING ? As my left check was folding over on itself... slapping my ear like a fat strippers ass... I tried to say 90... but I think I just slobbered on her at speed.

The little joys you forget about after riding dual sports only for many years.

Guests are encouraged.
Jeff aka BOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:32 PM   #62
bigbadandugly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Have you ever been here?
Yep, but typically on business which doesn't involve freeway traffic.

Quote:
Now they're gonna start charging to let anyone drive in the carpool lanes. It's all about the $$ now. Too many people and not enough money to go around.
But isn't everyone in California a millionaire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog View Post
Drivers get pissed because they scare if they're not paying attention to what's around them.
This was my experience when I was down in California this past January. Not so much getting pissed but more a "wtf" moment. I was sitting in gridlock on the Ventura Freeway when a bunch of Harley baggers filtered passed me. It just really caught me off guard. I don't believe I had seen any other splitters before or after that incident so I just wrote them off as a bunch of rebels without a cause.

But it does bring up a good point - if lane splitting or filtering is accepted in California, then why is there no initiative to educate clowns like me that fly in and rent a car? If you come from a non-lane splitting jurisdiction, then you won't be on the lookout for lane splittters and thus pose a serious accident risk.

By the way - after reading this thread I did some research regarding lane splitting in Ontario. Here it is much the same as California - it is neither authorized nor prohibited by the Highway Traffic Act. So apparently LEOs tolerate it even though there are charges that can be laid if you step out of line much the same as in California.

BigBadandUgly
bigbadandugly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:35 PM   #63
Jeff aka BOLT
Prefer Saturdays

Oddometer: 1,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadandugly View Post
But it does bring up a good point - if lane splitting or filtering is accepted in California, then why is there no initiative to educate clowns like me that fly in and rent a car?
Really... If that was the way things worked where would it end ? Every state... province... and country would require all rental car agencies to TRAIN you on all the rules and laws and in this instance allowed behaviors on the roads of the locale you visit ?

That would be Nukin Futz ! Only Nancy Pelosi herself could come up with a law like that !

Guests are encouraged.
Jeff aka BOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:36 PM   #64
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 45,621
I like my lane splitting like I like my women: Drunk, fast, and between two semis.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:34 AM   #65
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200gsceej View Post
I believe that lane splitting IS NOT EXPLICITLY PROHIBITED in CA by statute.
However, it is also NOT EXPLICITLY APPROVED by statute either.j
OK, I've got to admit that this is one of my pet peeves: let me ask this simple question... is eating carrots either explicitly prohibited or approved? No? That means it's LEGAL.

Nobody questions that, especially if it's mundane, but when it's a behavior that lets certain people assume risk and actually be rewarded for it, the average Joe thinks no way in hell is that legal.

We keep shooting ourselves in the foot by describing it this way because it makes motorcyclists sound like we're getting away with something when, in fact, we're not.

We have enough PR problems without perpetuating misinformation or misrepresentation of the law.

Another thing, on BARF (Bay Area Riders Forum), there is a push to describe it as "Lane Sharing", not "Lane Splitting"... IMHO, it's a good habit to make, especially when talking to "normal people". Splitting sounds aggressive, while sharing sounds all warm and fuzzy cuddly bunnies kumbaya and shit. Can't hurt.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:28 AM   #66
Ratman
Lucky Rider

Oddometer: 1,056
Yeah, I'm a lane 'sharer'. I believe in keeping the delta smallish. It doesn't matter to me how fast I'm going, just so I'm going faster than slow or stopped traffic, well, or even fast traffic. That makes me feel good.

Sharing takes max concentration. If you are new at it, 'share' for 10 minutes, then get in the traffic flow, and chill for a while....then go back at it.

Remember there will be slots too narrow for you, and you will need to be prepared to stop at a moments notice. BE READY TO MAKE THAT DECISION at all times.

......and lastly, the most dangerous noobie 'sharing' mistake is to duck into the sharing lane with out checking your 6. Not often, but often enough, there will be a lane sharer coming thru. That's easy to forget in the heat of 'sharing'.

The most likely time to make this mistake is when you are Sharing 2&3 lanes (because of a blockage between 1&2), then you want to switch back to 1&2.
At that time you have a short space to the car in front that may stop (that you have to keep tabs on). You're diagonal in the lane so your mirror doesn't cover that Sharing lane, so you have to turn your head to the rear.....This is a very risky maneuver.
p.ratfab@gmail.com
Ratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:28 AM   #67
K. L. Rocket
Big bouncy make big happy

Oddometer: 849
[QUOTE=Roadracer_Al;19765342]We have enough PR problems without perpetuating misinformation or misrepresentation of the law.[/QUOTE]

That's CA DMV's job.

"Motorcycles may travel faster than traffic during congested road conditions and can legally travel in the unused space between two lines of moving or stationary vehicles; this is commonly called “lane splitting".”
http://apps.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl600.pdf

"So if the traffic situation allows, the center lane position is usually the best place for you to be seen by
the driver ahead and to prevent lane sharing by others."
http://apps.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl655/dl665mcycle.pdf

"Vehicles and motorcycles each need a full lane to operate safely. Lane sharing is not safe."

"Discourage lane sharing by others."

K. L. Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:01 PM   #68
scotts_4x
lookin for a ride

Oddometer: 42
I was told.by the local motorcycle.cop that lane splitting should be conducted as follows to avoid getting a ticket:

Splitting should only be done between two lanes of traffic moving the same direction.

You should only split on the drivers side of the car you are in the same lane with.

You should ride safely and only at a reasonably faster pace than the car in your lane, which is within 5-15 mph.

Don't change lanes without signaling.

These are the things I was told would keep me from getting a ticket by the local motor cop so this is how I conduct myself. I've had a mirror or 2 get knocked back by my bars but nothing that wouldn't pop back into place (most modern vehicles have mirrors that fold when struck from the rear) as with any motorcycle riding be careful, don't do anything you're uncomfortable with and don't ride above your skill level.

-scott
scotts_4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:55 PM   #69
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotts_4x View Post
I was told.by the local motorcycle.cop that lane splitting should be conducted as follows to avoid getting a ticket:

Splitting should only be done between two lanes of traffic moving the same direction.

You should only split on the drivers side of the car you are in the same lane with.

You should ride safely and only at a reasonably faster pace than the car in your lane, which is within 5-15 mph.

Don't change lanes without signaling.

These are the things I was told would keep me from getting a ticket by the local motor cop so this is how I conduct myself. I've had a mirror or 2 get knocked back by my bars but nothing that wouldn't pop back into place (most modern vehicles have mirrors that fold when struck from the rear) as with any motorcycle riding be careful, don't do anything you're uncomfortable with and don't ride above your skill level.
That's a good set of rules that will keep you from getting tickets.

Don't hit the mirror on a 2005 or later Mustang. They don't fold.

Actually, hitting someone's mirror should get you a ticket that you're so carefully trying to avoid with the rest of your rules.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:57 PM   #70
Agnostic and Orange

Oddometer: 1,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
I'm about to visit the great state of California and I've never ridden where lane splitting is allowed. What do I need to be aware of to be a successful lane-splitter?
Mind you, I'll be on a fat-assed Concours so I don't plan to be squirting in and out of narrow spaces.
I rented in Longmont for about a year.8 years in Colorado.

In any case, lanesplitting in Ca works same way as in Colorado except rednecks not trying to kill you because they are pissed about the fact that someone else is not stuck in traffic.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:35 PM   #71
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 18,745
Splitting is one of the joys of living, and riding here.
When I ride, I split, pretty much any time the traffic is moving under the speed limit.
Always cover your brake, I make sure to look ahead, spot drivers hand movements, and doddlers drifting in their lanes.
Be aware of the gaps in the traffic in front of you, that's when ignorant lane changes happen.
On the freeway I generally prefer to split from the carpool lane, there are fewer lane changes happening, and often the lane is a bit wider. Don't cross the double yellow! Signal lane changes.
Dont forget to use the eyes in the back of your head too.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:32 AM   #72
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 3,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
Don't cross the double yellow!
Motorcyclists are not prohibited from crossing the carpool lanes as needed. Although you're supposed to be in one lane or the other, sometimes you end up in the middle of the double yellows. Watch for debris.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #73
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 18,745
Quote:
Motorcyclists are not prohibited from crossing the carpool lanes as needed. Although you're supposed to be in one lane or the other, sometimes you end up in the middle of the double yellows. Watch for debris.
I've been chastised by A CHP for it.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:45 PM   #74
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 8,922
Cool2 Share time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadandugly View Post
Y... It just really caught me off guard. I don't believe I had seen any other splitters before

If you come from a non-lane splitting jurisdiction, then you won't be on the lookout for lane splittters and thus pose a serious accident risk...

BigBadandUgly
I moved up to WA state to do some contract work.
First time I tool the bike out it was ride as normal.
Imagine my surprise at the foul language shouted out from car and bus drivers at me...
Heck, I didn't know.

It just didn't even occur to me that lane sharing wasn't allowed.
Like, why-the-fuck-not!?!
Made me feel like a some kind of foreigner...gee whiz!
'81 R100RS Rattlecandy Red
'06 950 ADV Orangeboom
91 R100GSPD Derelict

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:34 PM   #75
dunerat
WTF?

Oddometer: 13,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog View Post
I moved up to WA state to do some contract work.
First time I tool the bike out it was ride as normal.
Imagine my surprise at the foul language shouted out from car and bus drivers at me...
Heck, I didn't know.

It just didn't even occur to me that lane sharing wasn't allowed.
Like, why-the-fuck-not!?!
Made me feel like a some kind of foreigner...gee whiz!
dont do it in AZ kneether